Register

Jan Ullrich still has it!!!

A place to discuss all things related to current professional road races. Here, you can also touch on the latest news relating to professional road racing. A doping discussion free forum.

Moderators: Eshnar, Irondan, King Boonen, Red Rick, Pricey_sky

Re: Re:

12 Aug 2018 01:34

benzwire wrote:
chiocciolis_calves wrote:
joe_papp wrote:Ironically enough, in 2011 when I was passing through a very difficult time, Jan reached out to me with a simple message that boosted my morale:

"...I can imagine that it is not easy for you, but dont give up and try to find a new challenge for yourself. Just sitting around and looking back to the "good old days" is not enough – you need to look forward without forgetting the memories you have of your cycling career..."

Talk sh^t on Ullrich if you want, but I know he has a tremendous capacity for empathy and kindness. Substance abuse doesn't discriminate w/r/t the negative impact it can have on folks.

He just strangled and beat a woman, Joe. How about focusing on the victim rather than how he affected you?

Look, we all feel bad for the prostitute and we hope she recovers. But this is not HookerNews.com. This thread is about Ullrich. I hope they both get better and get back to health and riding (bikes and men that pay, respectively). :)

Yeah, sure you do. That's why some of you have to be shamed into coughing up a quarter-hearted expression of concern for her. Gimme a break.
chiocciolis_calves

Re: Jan Ullrich still has it!!!

12 Aug 2018 01:45

Agree, distasteful post.
SOLO LA VITTORIA È BELLA
User avatar Tonton

12 Aug 2018 10:38

There is a longer article today in the german newspaper Die Welt about Jan and his alcohol abuse, that goes back to the 90ies. Already then he drank a lot during training camps. Reminds me also of his Nutella-Story. He used to put a glass of Nutella in the microwave and just drank it.

The article also states, that Jan is in possession of a lot of firearms and he shoots on his television screens every time he sees somebody he dislikes or he thinks is persecuting him. So his employees have to buy 2-3 new tv-screens every week. He also trains with two kickboxing coaches, because he feels that "people" are after him.
Max Rockatansky

12 Aug 2018 12:26

Max Rockatansky wrote:There is a longer article today in the german newspaper Die Welt about Jan and his alcohol abuse, that goes back to the 90ies. Already then he drank a lot during training camps. Reminds me also of his Nutella-Story. He used to put a glass of Nutella in the microwave and just drank it.

The article also states, that Jan is in possession of a lot of firearms and he shoots on his television screens every time he sees somebody he dislikes or he thinks is persecuting him. So his employees have to buy 2-3 new tv-screens every week. He also trains with two kickboxing coaches, because he feels that "people" are after him.

If true, the man is a walking powder keg. It's good he is in a place where he can get the help he so desperately needs before he hurts himself or someone else again.
Alberto Contador=Legend!

Nibali becomes only the 6th winner of all 3 GTS (2014)!
Nibali joins Gimondi, Merckx and Hinault as only the 4th man to win all 3 GTS and 2 different Monuments (2018). A throwback rider in this age of specialization. Bravo!
User avatar Carols
Veteran

12 Aug 2018 16:24

Max Rockatansky wrote:There is a longer article today in the german newspaper Die Welt about Jan and his alcohol abuse, that goes back to the 90ies. Already then he drank a lot during training camps. Reminds me also of his Nutella-Story. He used to put a glass of Nutella in the microwave and just drank it.

Yikes, hopefully he doesn't get out for a long long time. This guy is obviously a danger to society.
User avatar El Pistolero
Veteran

12 Aug 2018 21:52

El Pistolero wrote:

Yikes, hopefully he doesn't get out for a long long time. This guy is obviously a danger to society.

If this were a non-athlete/celebrity, everyone would agree to that and few, if any, would be calling for all this help for him. It's all part of our diseased culture.
chiocciolis_calves

12 Aug 2018 22:00

chiocciolis_calves wrote:
El Pistolero wrote:

If this were a non-athlete/celebrity, everyone would agree to that and few, if any, would be calling for all this help for him. It's all part of our diseased culture.

Well, technically I'd say the best way to help him is to make sure he doesn't get out of the psychiatric clinic!
Aka The Ginger One.
User avatar RedheadDane
Veteran

12 Aug 2018 22:53

chiocciolis_calves wrote: If this were a non-athlete/celebrity, everyone would agree to that and few, if any, would be calling for all this help for him. It's all part of our diseased culture.

Anyone with mental issues needs help IMO, celebrity or not. But it's true that he receives more sympathy than the average Joe. Regardless, he's a mess. The hooting at TV stuff, paranoia, that's bad.
SOLO LA VITTORIA È BELLA
User avatar Tonton

13 Aug 2018 02:53

Never understood the Ullrich sympathy in light of what happened with others who were riding when he was and were absolutely loathed. Post career it seems he's still getting a lot of sympathy but it's a lot more serious now. Hope he can sort himself out.
movingtarget
Veteran

Re:

13 Aug 2018 07:20

movingtarget wrote:Never understood the Ullrich sympathy in light of what happened with others who were riding when he was and were absolutely loathed. Post career it seems he's still getting a lot of sympathy but it's a lot more serious now. Hope he can sort himself out.

Folks just tend to love the 2nd ones ;)
Shut up, Jens!
glassmoon

Re:

13 Aug 2018 08:29

movingtarget wrote:Never understood the Ullrich sympathy in light of what happened with others who were riding when he was and were absolutely loathed. Post career it seems he's still getting a lot of sympathy but it's a lot more serious now. Hope he can sort himself out.

For me it's not so much sympathi as "Dude, get help and get the **** over your issues!"
Aka The Ginger One.
User avatar RedheadDane
Veteran

13 Aug 2018 09:07

chiocciolis_calves wrote:If this were a non-athlete/celebrity, everyone would agree to that and few, if any, would be calling for all this help for him. It's all part of our diseased culture.

Get off your high horse. Empathizing with people you are familiar with is a universal phenomenon. Ullrich is clearly a mental health case who needs treatment, and it's not like you have to choose, it's not either Jan or his victim. If acquaintance with the rudiments of psychology makes a culture "diseased", so be it.
User avatar hrotha
Veteran

13 Aug 2018 09:39

https://youtu.be/RJqvZbuZvN4?t=2h7m30s

What a mighty sprint Der Jan had.
The sadness of the world has different ways of getting to people, but it seems to succeed almost every time
User avatar Bardamu

Re:

13 Aug 2018 09:41

Bardamu wrote:https://youtu.be/RJqvZbuZvN4?t=2h7m30s

What a mighty sprint Der Jan had.

Pretty rare to lead out your own lead-out :surprised:
User avatar tobydawq

13 Aug 2018 10:27

I call bullshit.

Do you think Jan could ride a bike as good as he did, by being an alcoholic and drink a lot ? And what is a lot to these guys ? 3 beers ? 30 beers ? No way....

And do you honestly believe that the guy sits around and shoots his television whenever there are things he dislikes. Give me a break please.

I am not a Jan fanboy, but I do have a lot respect for his talent and his palameres. Hope he get's the help he needs and moves back in next to Sgt. Hugo Stiglitz as soon as possible. He is a star in Mallorca and should be treated as such.
User avatar danielovichdk2

13 Aug 2018 11:45

danielovichdk2 wrote:

I call bullshit.

Do you think Jan could ride a bike as good as he did, by being an alcoholic and drink a lot ? And what is a lot to these guys ? 3 beers ? 30 beers ? No way....

And do you honestly believe that the guy sits around and shoots his television whenever there are things he dislikes. Give me a break please.

I am not a Jan fanboy, but I do have a lot respect for his talent and his palameres. Hope he get's the help he needs and moves back in next to Sgt. Hugo Stiglitz as soon as possible. He is a star in Mallorca and should be treated as such.
Being an alcoholic doesn't necessarily mean you're drinking all the time. In some cases (and I guess Ullrich's as well) it means that when you go drinking you're often going on a bender.
I agree that the part about Jan shooting his television sounds ludicrous. That he has done it I'm willing to believe, but doing it 2-3 times a week indeed sounds like bullshit.
The sadness of the world has different ways of getting to people, but it seems to succeed almost every time
User avatar Bardamu

14 Aug 2018 09:39

Quäl dich, Tour-Gott! Oh man, I'm close to tears reading this stuff.
Pennino

14 Aug 2018 16:02

Bardamu wrote:
danielovichdk2 wrote:

I call bullshit.

Being an alcoholic doesn't necessarily mean you're drinking all the time. In some cases (and I guess Ullrich's as well) it means that when you go drinking you're often going on a bender.
I agree that the part about Jan shooting his television sounds ludicrous. That he has done it I'm willing to believe, but doing it 2-3 times a week indeed sounds like bullshit.

Well, Pantani actually finished 14th at the 2003 Giro d'Italia while being a full coke junkie! So in fact it is possible to be competitive under these circumstances if you're abnormally talented.
User avatar staubsauger

Re: Re:

15 Aug 2018 05:30

El Pistolero wrote:...

It's his own fault for taking these substances though.

I have an anxiety disorder (due to a medical trauma 8 years ago), depression and unexplained chronic chest pain, but besides the occasional tramadol I don't abuse any substances...
OK, great. You're awesome.
joepa

"All is ephemeral - fame and the famous as well."
* read my Twitter
User avatar joe_papp

PreviousNext

Return to Professional road racing