Register

Nibali discussion thread

A place to discuss all things related to current professional road races. Here, you can also touch on the latest news relating to professional road racing. A doping discussion free forum.

Nibali discussion thread

06 May 2012 17:14

User avatar maxmartin

06 May 2012 17:17

Does it deserves a new thread?
Testing the bounds of reality.
User avatar Zam_Olyas

06 May 2012 17:19

If he's going with BMC he certainly won't ride the Tour de France for the next couple years.
User avatar spalco

06 May 2012 17:21

I don't see Evans holding it out much longer to be honest.
Ryo Hazuki wrote:horrible. boonen just the same guy as years before and this course is too hard for him. that's why he rode like a coward there were at least 3 guys stronger than boonen today and none of them won: sagan, ballan, pozzato

The Hitch wrote:Goss will woop boonens candy a[color="Black"]ss[/color] in a sprint he cares about, any day of the week
User avatar El Pistolero

06 May 2012 17:25

evans is pretty old and rumor is Kruzinger is leaving ASTANA the end of the season, both BMC and ASTANA needs young GT rider, if BMC pays TGVG 2 M a year, i think it is proper to pay Nibali 2.5M
spalco wrote:If he's going with BMC he certainly won't ride the Tour de France for the next couple years.
User avatar maxmartin

06 May 2012 17:27

I would love to see him go to BMC, but with all the big name riders already on that squad I doubt he would go there. Not enough opportunity, he would have to compete against Gilbert and Evans for lead in the classics, and in grand tours he would only be able to go for the win in the giro and vuelta.

Astana would be the wise choice, in grand tours they don't have anyone that can seriously contend for GC, but they have plenty of guys who could support him in his GC hopes.
User avatar Afrank

06 May 2012 17:31

El Pistolero wrote:I don't see Evans holding it out much longer to be honest.

Agreed, will be interested to see how he goes this Summer.

Having spent your whole career going for the big one, nearly achieving it and missing, probably thinking the moment had passed and then achieving it very late on, I wouldn't be surprised if he struggled to motivate himself now.
Waterloo Sunrise

06 May 2012 17:33

This will make things very easy for me, you see, I was wondering whether Nibali was a likeable rider or not. Now, if he goes to BMC, clearly he isn't a cool rider and nobody should support him. If he goes to Astana on the other hand, chances are he'll turn out to be a very cool rider, very likeable, and I'll cheer for him.
User avatar Maaaaaaaarten

06 May 2012 17:34

Get your checkbook out Riis
therealtimshady

06 May 2012 17:35

Would be nice to see ACF and dwlsonic cheering for Nibali. but also would like to see him at astana.
The Hitch: Winner 2013 Vuelta cq game. Winner, Velorooms prediction game 2012, 2013. 2nd all time cq rankings.
The Father of Clean Cycling, Christophe Bassons wrote:When I look at cycling today, I get the impression that history is repeating itself: riders who are supposed to be rouleurs are climbing passes at the front of the race, and those who are supposed to be climbers are riding time trials at more than 50 kilometres per hour.

The story is beginning again, just as it did 14 years ago

journalist with integrity.
User avatar The Hitch

06 May 2012 17:37

Between Astana and BMC - Astana will have better support - Kiserlovski, Masciarelli (where is he), Tiralongo, etc., Kreuziger probably will be in OPQS next year (LL is 38?).

OGRE, Saxo also need a GC contender (with points).
killswitch

El Pistolero wrote:I don't see Evans holding it out much longer to be honest.

I want to see Evans hold it out long enough for Contador to beat him in the 2013 TDF tt:p
The Hitch: Winner 2013 Vuelta cq game. Winner, Velorooms prediction game 2012, 2013. 2nd all time cq rankings.
The Father of Clean Cycling, Christophe Bassons wrote:When I look at cycling today, I get the impression that history is repeating itself: riders who are supposed to be rouleurs are climbing passes at the front of the race, and those who are supposed to be climbers are riding time trials at more than 50 kilometres per hour.

The story is beginning again, just as it did 14 years ago

journalist with integrity.
User avatar The Hitch

Not necessarily he can only race Giro and Vuelta? This summer we will have a direct comparison between him and Evans in the tour:D

Plus winning Giro seems always a big objective for Nibali, before he can achieve that I think he is OK with not riding Tour

Afrank wrote:I would love to see him go to BMC (because it is one of my favorite teams), but with all the big name riders already on that squad I doubt he would go there. Not enough opportunity, he would have to compete against Gilbert and Evans for lead in the classics, and in grand tours he would only be able to go for the win in the giro and vuelta.

Astana would be the wise choice, in grand tours they don't have anyone that can seriously contend for GC, but they have plenty of guys who could support him in his GC hopes.
User avatar maxmartin

06 May 2012 17:41

saxo no money, ogre probably want a Aussie GT rider maybe evans retirement team
killswitch wrote:Between Astana and BMC - Astana will have better support - Kiserlovski, Masciarelli (where is he), Tiralongo, etc., Kreuziger probably will be in OPQS next year (LL is 38?).

OGRE, Saxo also need a GC contender (with points).
User avatar maxmartin

06 May 2012 17:59

maxmartin wrote:Not necessarily he can only race Giro and Vuelta? This summer we will have a direct comparison between him and Evans in the tour:D

Plus winning Giro seems always a big objective for Nibali, before he can achieve that I think he is OK with not riding Tour

Until Evans retires or leaves the team (which I doubt he will do) he will probably be the leader at the tour meaning Nibali would have to foucus on the Giro or Vuelta. Nothing wrong with foucusing on the giro or vuelta but if Nibali did want to win the tour, and if that was a goal of his, he would have to compete with Evans for leadership.
User avatar Afrank

06 May 2012 18:05

That money is the root of all evil.
Nibali at Buy More Cyclists would be the pits.
Mellow Velo

06 May 2012 18:06

Afrank wrote:Until Evans retires or leaves the team (which I doubt he will do) he will probably be the leader at the tour meaning Nibali would have to foucus on the Giro or Vuelta. Nothing wrong with foucusing on the giro or vuelta but if Nibali did want to win the tour, and if that was a goal of his, he would have to compete with Evans for leadership.

why would evans remain the team leader for the tour even after he starts his decline as a rider? that doesn't make any sense

i hope he doesn't go to BMC tho.
User avatar Parrulo

06 May 2012 18:18

With 2.5 million euros offered we can exclude a couple of contenders for his signature that's for sure...
DominicDecoco

06 May 2012 18:36

If he goes to Astana, imagine him meeting Iglinsky at camp...

Kinda awkward.
User avatar rxgqgxnyfz

06 May 2012 18:50

rxgqgxnyfz wrote:If he goes to Astana, imagine him meeting Iglinsky at camp...

Kinda awkward.

meh, awkward part will be when Kiserlovski crush him in the mountians so hard that nibbles suddenly find himself as a domestique :D
"I know how to ride my bike" - Nibali

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w9LBsWCNE9I

Vuelta 06 - the greatest gt in history!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=24TQdI7csHs
User avatar Vino attacks everyone

Next

Return to Professional road racing