Register

Vincenzo Nibali discussion thread

A place to discuss all things related to current professional road races. Here, you can also touch on the latest news relating to professional road racing. A doping discussion free forum.

Moderators: Eshnar, Irondan, King Boonen, Red Rick, Pricey_sky

Re:

07 Dec 2018 20:40

Rollthedice wrote:'On Cipressa I realized that I could do something important, I almost didn't breathe and at that point it's not easy. I talk on the radio and I say I'm fine. My voice is so steady and quiet that in the car they remain stunned. Then they too understood how it could end"

Nothing worse than climbing at your max and having Nibali being all tranquillo next to you
Veni, Vidi, Kirby

I came, I saw, I was dead wrong as per usual
User avatar Red Rick
Administrator

Re: Vincenzo Nibali discussion thread

08 Dec 2018 13:44

It might be me but i m under the impression his msr win did a lot for his career and his standing in italy.
Winning another gt wouldnt have done that or wouldnt have had the same impact.
It was crazy to start watching the race expecting nothing but as a nibs fan from the first hour i saw really quick that he was very good that day. The way he was bossing through the peloton was a sign of great things to come. Same attitude on the bike as lombardia 2017. Shoutout to moho who put him in the ideal position right before the poggio.
Then he fooled everyone by going way sooner on the poggio then anyone expected. A genius move really as the others were confused as hell and didnt know what to think about a march nibali with all his goals later in the season.
Lo squalo di messina

08 Dec 2018 14:01

Lo squalo di messina wrote:It might be me but i m under the impression his msr win did a lot for his career and his standing in italy.
It was crazy to start watching the race expecting nothing but as a nibs fan from the first hour i saw really quick that he was very good that day. The way he was bossing through the peloton was a sign of great things to come. Same attitude on the bike as lombardia 2017. Shoutout to moho who put him in the ideal position right before the poggio.
Then he fooled everyone by going way sooner on the poggio then anyone expected. A genius move really as the others were confused as hell and didnt know what to think about a march nibali with all his goals later in the season.

Yeah it's pretty crazy. Being a GT rider who also contends in LBL and Il Lombardia or even wins them is one thing. But winning Sanremo in the way that he did stands out so far. If you look at the list of winners of Sanremo in the last decades, it's all sprinters with a few classics riders who also have a decent sprint mixed in. And Nibali is the only one who went solo on the Poggio.

But it's not the first time he went early on the Poggio. He also did that in 2011, when he was caught by an elite group on the way down.

Honestly I think he also gained respect for his performance in De Ronde, initiating the winning move.
Veni, Vidi, Kirby

User avatar Red Rick
Administrator

08 Dec 2018 14:20

Red Rick wrote:
Lo squalo di messina wrote:It might be me but i m under the impression his msr win did a lot for his career and his standing in italy.

Yeah it's pretty crazy. Being a GT rider who also contends in LBL and Il Lombardia or even wins them is one thing. But winning Sanremo in the way that he did stands out so far. If you look at the list of winners of Sanremo in the last decades, it's all sprinters with a few classics riders who also have a decent sprint mixed in. And Nibali is the only one who went solo on the Poggio.

But it's not the first time he went early on the Poggio. He also did that in 2011, when he was caught by an elite group on the way down.

Honestly I think he also gained respect for his performance in De Ronde, initiating the winning move.

I watched flanders from beginning to end only looking at nibs and his position. It was clear he didnt wanna take no risks and he stayed a coupla meters behind the peloton between all those hills. Whenever a hill was coming up he had to sprint all the way to the front and he was doing that alone for the most part. Terpstra was well protected in the bunch the whole time so obviously he had some more reserves.
Lo squalo di messina

08 Dec 2018 22:51

Honestly I think he also gained respect for his performance in De Ronde, initiating the winning move.[/quote]

for some it doesnt matter. it only matters that he came in 24th...
User avatar Jungle Cycle

08 Dec 2018 23:37

Jungle Cycle wrote:Honestly I think he also gained respect for his performance in De Ronde, initiating the winning move.

for some it doesnt matter. it only matters that he came in 24th...[/quote]

I don't think it mattered for him in the first place but he was visible in a meaningful way in his first race there as he was later in Fleche, another race not quite suited to his characteristics. Not to mention that when he's not specifically targeting a race he's more like a miss than a hit. In the end he enjoyed De Ronde but his main job is trying to win Grand Tours, even for a rider like him who seems to come from a romantic, old school past it's almost impossible to be outstanding in both.
User avatar Rollthedice
Veteran

08 Dec 2018 23:49

Rollthedice wrote:
Jungle Cycle wrote:Honestly I think he also gained respect for his performance in De Ronde, initiating the winning move.

I don't think it mattered for him in the first place but he was visible in a meaningful way in his first race there as he was later in Fleche, another race not quite suited to his characteristics. Not to mention that when he's not specifically targeting a race he's more like a miss than a hit. In the end he enjoyed De Ronde but his main job is trying to win Grand Tours, even for a rider like him who seems to come from a romantic, old school past it's almost impossible to be outstanding in both.[/quote]

don't get me wrong, i agree with you 100%! he looked like he was having some fun mixing it up with the best eventhough he was not at 100%...
Im shore he`ll be there again for good and with mine support...
User avatar Jungle Cycle

Yesterday 00:08

Rollthedice wrote:

I don't think it mattered for him in the first place but he was visible in a meaningful way in his first race there as he was later in Fleche, another race not quite suited to his characteristics. Not to mention that when he's not specifically targeting a race he's more like a miss than a hit. In the end he enjoyed De Ronde but his main job is trying to win Grand Tours, even for a rider like him who seems to come from a romantic, old school past it's almost impossible to be outstanding in both.[/quote]

Wasn't his idea for Flanders to race it and see how he handled it and if it was a race he could really go for later? Fleche Wallone is a race very not suited to him although he did try to put on a show there.
User avatar Koronin

Re: Re:

Yesterday 08:15

Red Rick wrote:
Mayomaniac wrote:
Red Rick wrote:
Rollthedice wrote:It's that time of year with awards and festivities. Though not a very good year for Nibali, Gazzetta found a category to give him a prize, Legends at Gazzetta Sports Awards. The only interesting new thing he said is that he is 98% recuperated after the crash. A nice picture here.

Last 2% he won't know until he reaches those shapes again.

Fantastic image.

This is my favorite cycling video of 2018

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2KZrPAxMklI

Biggest nailbite finish of the year and fantastic teamwork, his team slowing down the bunch near the front right aftr his attack and having a teammate like Colbrelli that was one of the favourites right there. Nibali was also flying a bit under the radar after Tirreno-Adriatico, it was just the perfect storm, you could see his confidence when he was fighting for positions on the Cipressa.

I'm not gonna lie, I turned to another channel cause I couldn't handle the stress. I regret it now.

Haha I recognise this behaviour. This year I couldnt see the race live, but I recorded it. Then on my way home in the car during the news bulletin on the radio they started a line with "the italian vicenzo". I dint hear next as I turned my radio off at that moment. I was like....vicenzo...Nibali?? MSR??? I didnt believe it, or I didnt want to believe it. Deep down I knew they were talking about Nibali and most likely that he won, but I told myself that maybe they said he crashed or something...

When I watched the race and he attacked it was obvious that he would win since the radio spoiled enough for me, but still my heartrate went through the roof watching the final 6km. It was so intense, I could only imagine how stressed Id been if I didnt know the result.
User avatar Kwibus
Veteran

Re: Re:

Yesterday 08:43

Kwibus wrote:
Red Rick wrote:
Mayomaniac wrote:
Red Rick wrote:
Rollthedice wrote:It's that time of year with awards and festivities. Though not a very good year for Nibali, Gazzetta found a category to give him a prize, Legends at Gazzetta Sports Awards. The only interesting new thing he said is that he is 98% recuperated after the crash. A nice picture here.

Last 2% he won't know until he reaches those shapes again.

Fantastic image.

This is my favorite cycling video of 2018

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2KZrPAxMklI

Biggest nailbite finish of the year and fantastic teamwork, his team slowing down the bunch near the front right aftr his attack and having a teammate like Colbrelli that was one of the favourites right there. Nibali was also flying a bit under the radar after Tirreno-Adriatico, it was just the perfect storm, you could see his confidence when he was fighting for positions on the Cipressa.

I'm not gonna lie, I turned to another channel cause I couldn't handle the stress. I regret it now.

Haha I recognise this behaviour. This year I couldnt see the race live, but I recorded it. Then on my way home in the car during the news bulletin on the radio they started a line with "the italian vicenzo". I dint hear next as I turned my radio off at that moment. I was like....vicenzo...Nibali?? MSR??? I didnt believe it, or I didnt want to believe it. Deep down I knew they were talking about Nibali and most likely that he won, but I told myself that maybe they said he crashed or something...

When I watched the race and he attacked it was obvious that he would win since the radio spoiled enough for me, but still my heartrate went through the roof watching the final 6km. It was so intense, I could only imagine how stressed Id been if I didnt know the result.

Yeah.

Now all I wish is we had MSR with Sporza coverage, but frigging Eurosport.
Veni, Vidi, Kirby

User avatar Red Rick
Administrator

Previous

Return to Professional road racing