Register

Vincenzo Nibali discussion thread

A place to discuss all things related to current professional road races. Here, you can also touch on the latest news relating to professional road racing. A doping discussion free forum.

Moderators: Eshnar, Irondan, King Boonen, Red Rick, Pricey_sky

Re:

17 Apr 2019 11:48

Summoned wrote:If history repeats, the last time Nibali rode two GT's back to back, he got himself thrown out of the second one. I think there is reason to think that he will not be very competitive at the Tour this year. Of course, he did finish the season well that year.

Nah, Nibali rode the 2016 Giro and Tour to prep for the olympics. Wasn't very good in France but it would have been planned to perfection had he crashed for on the last descent. Nibali's got pretty good at finding those peaks in recent years, with the exception of 2015 (which was somewhat salvaged by his september/october exploits).
Brullnux
Veteran

Re:

17 Apr 2019 12:58

Red Rick wrote:He won Croatia in 2017 but damn that field was a joke.

Roson with a proper diet? Sure it was a weak field but he won it at an intermediate sprint and positioning on the final of the last stage cobbled Zagreb. Grinta without too much form.
User avatar Rollthedice
Veteran

17 Apr 2019 13:19

Yeah, he was not that good on the MTFs really. I even thought he looked pretty weak.
"Es el mejor con y sin" - someone very bright on Valverde.
Purito, Valv and Conta <3
User avatar Valv.Piti
Veteran

Re:

17 Apr 2019 13:32

Valv.Piti wrote:Yeah, he was not that good on the MTFs really. I even thought he looked pretty weak.

Kinda crazy he only lost that Giro cause he blew himself up too much on Blockhaus and Oropa. Got himself between a rock and a hard place with Dumoulin and Quintana.

He was honestly better in the Vuelta but the route was just bad for him and then he crashed on the way to the Angliru :(
Veni, Vidi, Ricky

I came, I saw, I complained about a route design.
User avatar Red Rick
Administrator

17 Apr 2019 14:32

Froome was flying up the muritos, sick and all. It is what is was, speaking of which here's a poster for TotA, funny I might add.

User avatar Rollthedice
Veteran

Re:

17 Apr 2019 15:33

Rollthedice wrote:Froome was flying up the muritos, sick and all. It is what is was, speaking of which here's a poster for TotA, funny I might add.

Facepalm.JPG
Veni, Vidi, Ricky

User avatar Red Rick
Administrator

Re: Re:

17 Apr 2019 16:01

Brullnux wrote:
Summoned wrote:If history repeats, the last time Nibali rode two GT's back to back, he got himself thrown out of the second one. I think there is reason to think that he will not be very competitive at the Tour this year. Of course, he did finish the season well that year.

Nah, Nibali rode the 2016 Giro and Tour to prep for the olympics. Wasn't very good in France but it would have been planned to perfection had he crashed for on the last descent. Nibali's got pretty good at finding those peaks in recent years, with the exception of 2015 (which was somewhat salvaged by his september/october exploits).

My mistake, totally forgot about the 2016 Tour. Of course, it was a Tour for him to forget, really.
Summoned

Re:

17 Apr 2019 16:55

Rollthedice wrote:Froome was flying up the muritos, sick and all. It is what is was, speaking of which here's a poster for TotA, funny I might add.

I can understand the organizers. 2 of the greatest champions of this generation will start their race, so it's pretty obvious that they try to take advantage of it.
Riposa in pace, Michele!
User avatar Laplaz

17 Apr 2019 17:19

Rollthedice wrote:
Red Rick wrote:He won Croatia in 2017 but damn that field was a joke.

Roson with a proper diet? Sure it was a weak field but he won it at an intermediate sprint and positioning on the final of the last stage cobbled Zagreb. Grinta without too much form.

The 20km climb was reduced to 7km or so from memory too
Scarponi

17 Apr 2019 18:20

Seriously unlikely being good after 2 weeks of altitude.
Small build up to try something maybe decent in LBL, but I don't believe it.
Don't expect much from Froome either obviously, he just wants some racing days for sure.

Edit: he looks super thin I must admit.
User avatar Climbing

Yesterday 14:44

User avatar Climbing

Re:

Yesterday 15:52

Climbing wrote:
Edit: he looks super thin I must admit.

Never was it more confirmed Nibali was the true heir of Contador on this forum
Veni, Vidi, Ricky

User avatar Red Rick
Administrator

Yesterday 16:06

Don't ruin the joke, we have to keep tradition!
User avatar Climbing

Re:

Yesterday 16:54

Climbing wrote:Image

All the birds have flown up and gone;
A lonely cloud floats leisurely by.
We never tire of looking at each other—
Only the mountain and I.

Li Po
User avatar TourOfSardinia
Veteran

Yesterday 20:37

More from Slongo from oasport.it:

"The ascent of Masca (4.5 km to 12%) in particular allows us to understand where we are. And Vincenzo's times were in line with his best years ”.

The man to beat in the Giro is Dumoulin and Nibali will certainly not go to Liege just for training. Though not all are Italian, the Giro team will be an Italian job, Caruso will follow Scarponi and Delfino as Vincenzo's trusted lieutenant and roommate. Can't wait.
User avatar Rollthedice
Veteran

Yesterday 20:59

Is Antonio seriously gonna make the team? Can't imagine he's good enought to really be one of the 7 best options.

Looks to me like Nibali is gonna create madness this Giro.

I can't wait
Veni, Vidi, Ricky

User avatar Red Rick
Administrator

Re:

Yesterday 21:24

Red Rick wrote:Is Antonio seriously gonna make the team? Can't imagine he's good enought to really be one of the 7 best options.

I can't wait

I'm sure there will be Vincenzo, Pozzovivo, Caruso and Pernsteiner. Not so sure about the others. Maybe Agnoli, Koren and Pibernik?
Riposa in pace, Michele!
User avatar Laplaz

Yesterday 21:39

Laplaz wrote:
Red Rick wrote:Is Antonio seriously gonna make the team? Can't imagine he's good enought to really be one of the 7 best options.

I can't wait

I'm sure there will be Vincenzo, Pozzovivo, Caruso and Pernsteiner. Not so sure about the others. Maybe Agnoli, Koren and Pibernik?

Agnoli was part of the training camp with Vincenzo, just like Antonio.
Still, Pernsteiner, Pozzovivo and Caruso offer a lot of toop level climbing support. Antonio isn't that bad, he can be pretty good on a hard stage with bad weather and he won't be one of the top 3 climbing domestiques.

Caruso will be the only guy from the Giro team that will follow Nibali to the Tour, so the Tour team will consist of those 2, Rohan, Teuns, Mohoric, Colbrelli and some big engines for the flat stages and the TTT, probably Sieberg and another guy, my pick would probably be Cortina.
Mayomaniac

Yesterday 22:01

If he wins Liege I can live this year with only a podium in Giro.
User avatar Rollthedice
Veteran

Re:

Yesterday 22:17

Rollthedice wrote:If he wins Liege I can live this year with only a podium in Giro.

If he wins Liege I don't really mind how he does in the giro, I won't be sober till the end of May anyway.
User avatar Gigs_98
Veteran

PreviousNext

Return to Professional road racing