Register

Nibali discussion thread

A place to discuss all things related to current professional road races. Here, you can also touch on the latest news relating to professional road racing. A doping discussion free forum.

20 May 2013 13:37

Zam_Olyas wrote:Oh really? no she aint. BTW i should have said riders who could give velasco a run for his money, nibali could certainly do now, shleck did, no need to mention froome.

Who ever denied this?

Nibali even brought Contador in an annoying situation in the giro of 2011 with his descending skills.

Why do you think Contador didn't want the crostis in it?

Maybe Nibali is now even better than Contador. The tour will clear that out. Maybe we'll have to wait for the tour 2014 even.

But i don't think it's cause Nibali is right now so good compared to 2012 (except for his ITT, that clearly improved), but cause Contador is meh this year.
thehog wrote:JV if you truly wish to save cycling.

Do something.

You know it's not real.

Your Garmin guys are getting killed.
User avatar Miburo

20 May 2013 13:38

LaFlorecita wrote:Sky train was boring because they eliminated all the attacking

Yes I agree but they did not need to attack, Nibali did attack on the stage we dint see but Parrulo said Nibali does not need two. Im not defending Sky im just saying it is the same thing as Nibali not attacking much.
User avatar TANK91

20 May 2013 13:39

:facepalm: go a few post above to see the context, sunshine.
Testing the bounds of reality.
User avatar Zam_Olyas

20 May 2013 13:40

TANK91 wrote:Yes I agree but they did not need to attack, Nibali did attack on the stage we dint see but Parrulo said Nibali does not need two. Im not defending Sky im just saying it is the same thing as Nibali not attacking much.

Nibali attacked pretty much in each mountain stage in the tour. He even tried in the descents with Sagan's help.

Nibali did everything he could. What do you except? That he tried what Evans did? Commit suicide, attacking from 60 km while they are still 4 skyborgs?

Wow i'm defending nibali...:o

Do something.

You know it's not real.

User avatar Miburo

20 May 2013 13:42

Zam_Olyas wrote::facepalm: go a few post above to see the context, sunshine.

The only thing i see is your attempt for pathetic personals.

I thought you could do better than that?

Do something.

You know it's not real.

User avatar Miburo

20 May 2013 13:43

Miburo wrote:But i don't think it's cause Nibali is right now so good compared to 2012 (except for his ITT, that clearly improved), but cause Contador is meh this year.

Agree.

Nibali hasn't made a big jump in performance, but is steadily progressing.

And the reason Nibali is better(/have done better so far this year) than Contador atm is because Contador did a lot worse than expected.
Cancellara is like The Black Album. Really good but way overrated.
User avatar Netserk

20 May 2013 13:43

Zam_Olyas wrote:Oh really? no she aint. BTW i should have said riders who could give velasco a run for his money, nibali could certainly do now, shleck did, no need to mention froome.

No man, when Alberto is pushed he is even more awesome :D

Afrank wrote:+1 to this. Nibali has raced the Giro to perfection, and is proving himself a top GT rider this year. Despite Contador and Froome not being here, Nibali is showing he has what it takes to win the toughest of GT's.

Agreed. No one doubts that Nibali is a strong stage racer though. Just not as strong as some make him out to be. For example people saying (although jokingly) that he will certainly win Vuelta, WC, Lombardia this year and TDF next year, it's a bit too much for me.

And Nibali can't be blamed for not going out on a bunch of really big attacks, he has no reason too. Froome and Contador probably would ride the same way were they in Nibali's position.

Alberto has already been in such a position before and still attacked, Froome we don't know of course but he does seem to like stamping his dominancy all over a race.
"The second place is not good."
The great Alberto Contador :p
User avatar LaFlorecita

20 May 2013 13:44

Miburo wrote:Who ever denied this?

Nibali even brought Contador in an annoying situation in the giro of 2011 with his descending skills.

Why do you think Contador didn't want the crostis in it?

Maybe Nibali is now even better than Contador. The tour will clear that out. Maybe we'll have to wait for the tour 2014 even.

But i don't think it's cause Nibali is right now so good compared to 2012 (except for his ITT, that clearly improved), but cause Contador is meh this year.

I agree 100% its not that Nibali has improved to reach Contador, it's Contador who has gone down a little. Look who is on the podium Nibali is ahead of a 36 years old Evan's and Uran who came 7th last year, Nibali is a far better climber than Evans now and Uran lol so really he could put the hammer down if he wanted two. I don't think you can deny that it's not the strongest rider's here, props to Nibali though he as proved 1 thing he really is a shark who can cope with bad weather
User avatar TANK91

20 May 2013 13:46

Netserk wrote:Agree.

And the reason Nibali is better(/have done better so far this year) than Contador atm is because Contador did a lot worse than expected.

Agreed, so why are people acting as if Nibali is a god all of a sudden? He is not that much better than last year. Alberto is just sucky right now but I'm sure he will be better next year or otherwise in 2015. And if not he can always be super domestique for Majka:D
User avatar LaFlorecita

20 May 2013 13:47

LaFlorecita wrote:Alberto has already been in such a position before and still attacked.

I remember only Gardeccia 2011 and he didn't even started it. All the other times he found himself leading he only attacked at 2-3 kms to go just like Nibali at Jafferau
A race that doesn't give an attacker the chance to finish it off alone is not a race anymore.

Bronze Medal at the Great Grand Tour Game 2012

WARNING: Location says Germany, but I'm Italian...
User avatar Eshnar

20 May 2013 13:53

Eshnar wrote:I remember only Gardeccia 2011 and he didn't even started it. All the other times he found himself leading he only attacked at 2-3 kms to go just like Nibali at Jafferau

I'm not gonna start a whole new discussion but TDF 2009 grand bornand stage and giro 2011 Grossglockner off the top of my head
User avatar LaFlorecita

20 May 2013 13:54

Miburo wrote:Nibali attacked pretty much in each mountain stage in the tour. He even tried in the descents with Sagan's help.

Nibali did everything he could. What do you except? That he tried what Evans did? Commit suicide, attacking from 60 km while they are still 4 skyborgs?

Wow i'm defending nibali...:o

Seriously what don't you understand when did I say Nibali didn't attack in the TDF, he had two and did. Im just trying to say Wiggo only accelerated 1nce with Froome on stage 17 and he was in Yellow. So we will see if Nibali leaves it up to his team like Sky and just rides the last 3-4kms with the favs, which will be exactly the same as the TDF. I am well aware he does not need two attack he is in Pink. I seriously don't understand though when people say Sky rode so no one could attack. That's not Sky's fault that they had the strongest climber in the race protecting Wiggo who kept bringing VDB and Nibali back, what should they have done say go on boy's we will sit in the bunch. Its like Agnoli killing himself for Nibali on the stage when Uran won, it's just the same but weren't as effective.
User avatar TANK91

20 May 2013 13:55

Miburo wrote:The only thing i see is your attempt for pathetic personals.

I thought you could do better than that?

I can't help if you are blind or retarded and see the posts above.
Testing the bounds of reality.
User avatar Zam_Olyas

20 May 2013 13:55

Netserk wrote:Agree.

Totally agree. He has made a steady progression since 2010. We still don't know just how good he can become.

Also agree that Alberto hasn't been the Bertie of old :( Hopefully that changes before July! The 2011 Bertie would eat this Nibs for breakfast. But right now they are pretty even, with Nibs slightly ahead.

Froome well on current form looks unbeatable, but they still have to race the race! Look at the Ky Derby winner, mortal lock in the Preakness, except he finished 4th. It's never over until the race is finished.
Carol S.
~~~~
Alberto Contador: "And yes, it is true that for me it's the same to finish second or 10th."

Vincezo Nibali joins Anquetil, Gimondi, Merckx, Hinault and Contador as only the 6th winner of all 3 Grand Tours! Bravo Lo Squalo!
Carols

20 May 2013 13:57

The nibali from thsi giro is miles better than the rider who won the vuelta, much stronger fields now too.
User avatar manafana

20 May 2013 13:57

Eshnar wrote:I remember only Gardeccia 2011 and he didn't even started it. All the other times he found himself leading he only attacked at 2-3 kms to go just like Nibali at Jafferau

In fact I've already come near the conclusion that this Giro's not much different from the 2011 one. Back then a stronger rider was in the lead, but the action is shockingly similar, and the only important prizes left in the last week were 2nd place, and the red and white jersey.
User avatar Pentacycle

20 May 2013 13:59

When Contador is in the leader's jersey he usually follows moves mostly and also does some attacks.

It's not like Contador constantly attacks when he is the leader.

Vuelta '12: Only one mountain stage left and probably couldn't attack, but also didn't try.

Giro '11: Followed and cooperated with Rujano on Grossglockner. Followed and attacked Nibali on Zonc. Attacked on Giau, Fedaia and Gardeccia. Attacked on Macugnaga. Followed on Finestre/Sestriere.

Tour '10: Followed Andy on Tourmalet. Made a half-attack.

Tour '09: Followed the Schlecks (and made some half-attacks) towards Le Grand-Bornand. Followed on Ventoux.
Cancellara is like The Black Album. Really good but way overrated.
User avatar Netserk

20 May 2013 13:59

Carols wrote:Totally agree. He has made a steady progression since 2010. We still don't know just how good he can become.

Also agree that Alberto hasn't been the Bertie of old :( Hopefully that changes before July! The 2011 Bertie would eat this Nibs for breakfast. But right now they are pretty even, with Nibs slightly ahead.

Froome well on current form looks unbeatable, but they still have to race the race! Look at the Ky Derby winner, mortal lock in the Preakness, except he finished 4th. It's never over until the race is finished.

Nibali is 28, he probably won't progress all that much anymore.
User avatar LaFlorecita

20 May 2013 14:00

LaFlorecita wrote:I'm not gonna start a whole new discussion but TDF 2009 grand bornand stage and giro 2011 Grossglockner off the top of my head

Didn't he just follow Schlecks on the way to Grand Bornand?
But you're right about Grossglockner, for some reason I remembered him attacking a lot later than he actually did. My bad.
A race that doesn't give an attacker the chance to finish it off alone is not a race anymore.

Bronze Medal at the Great Grand Tour Game 2012

WARNING: Location says Germany, but I'm Italian...
User avatar Eshnar

20 May 2013 14:02

Netserk wrote:When Contador is in the leader's jersey he usually follows moves mostly and also does some attacks.

It's not like Contador constantly attacks when he is the leader.

Vuelta '12: Only one mountain stage left and probably couldn't attack, but also didn't try.

Giro '11: Followed and cooperated with Rujano on Grossglockner. Followed and attacked Nibali on Zonc. Attacked on Giau, Fedaia and Gardeccia. Attacked on Macugnaga. Followed on Finestre/Sestriere.

Tour '10: Followed Andy on Tourmalet. Made a half-attack.

Tour '09: Followed the Schlecks (and made some half-attacks) towards Le Grand-Bornand. Followed on Ventoux.

Rujano followed Alberto on Grossglockner.

and this belongs in another thread
User avatar LaFlorecita

PreviousNext

Return to Professional road racing