Register

Nibali discussion thread

A place to discuss all things related to current professional road races. Here, you can also touch on the latest news relating to professional road racing. A doping discussion free forum.

20 May 2013 17:32

SafeBet wrote:He's just lucky. Weak fields :o

I wouldn't say that the field is week. Actually there were about 30 riders in this race who are better climbers than Nibali (just see Ryo's infamous list), but all of them have either crashed out, are afraid of rain, can't handle the cold or have become sick :)

So at this point, without all the luck he has, he should've been 31st overall, at best!
maltiv

20 May 2013 17:34

Miburo wrote:You can't deny that if Anton didn't crush in the vuelta... :p

...He'd lost a lot in the ITT.
Cancellara is like The Black Album. Really good but way overrated.
User avatar Netserk

20 May 2013 18:25

Netserk wrote:...He'd lost a lot in the ITT.

Also if there is anything Anton has proved ever since that vuelta, is that he is very inconsistent. Just look at the giro 2011 where he was third overall a couple seconds behind Nibali after the zoncolan stage and was nowhere the next day ending the giro out of the top 15(!!!!!)
User avatar Parrulo

20 May 2013 18:34

Parrulo wrote:Also if there is anything Anton has proved ever since that vuelta, is that he is very inconsistent. Just look at the giro 2011 where he was third overall a couple seconds behind Nibali after the zoncolan stage and was nowhere the next day ending the giro out of the top 15(!!!!!)

yep it is so stupid and pointless for some people keep bringing up "what if Anton did not crash question".
Either SKY bring us into future or bring us back ten years. Only time will tell.
User avatar maxmartin

20 May 2013 19:29

Unfortunately for Anton, I doubt very much that he would have been leading the Vuelta after the individual time trial. And the 2010 climbing field was not that bad, really. I mean both Schlecks were there for the start and I recall hoping for Frank Schleck to somehow win. But Andy was there to party and did not help his bro. Nibs was the strongest, best fighter.

But this Giro is not over. I won't relax until my man gets the trophy! Too much can still happen in the race... :eek: crashes, illness...every day is a roll of the dice.
User avatar contessador

20 May 2013 19:32

Parrulo wrote:Also if there is anything Anton has proved ever since that vuelta, is that he is very inconsistent. Just look at the giro 2011 where he was third overall a couple seconds behind Nibali after the zoncolan stage and was nowhere the next day ending the giro out of the top 15(!!!!!)
End of discussion.
Do you want to watch better bike racing? => Team radios (not race radio) must go!
User avatar cineteq

20 May 2013 19:35

After that crash Anton was never the same anymore though. Ok zoncolan win but that's it.

2010 was also by far his best year.
thehog wrote:JV if you truly wish to save cycling.

Do something.

You know it's not real.

Your Garmin guys are getting killed.
User avatar Miburo

20 May 2013 19:47

contessador wrote:Unfortunately for Anton, I doubt very much that he would have been leading the Vuelta after the individual time trial. And the 2010 climbing field was not that bad, really. I mean both Schlecks were there for the start and I recall hoping for Frank Schleck to somehow win. But Andy was there to party and did not help his bro. Nibs was the strongest, best fighter.

But this Giro is not over. I won't relax until my man gets the trophy! Too much can still happen in the race... :eek: crashes, illness...every day is a roll of the dice.

Come on, even Roche managed to finish in the top 10 and to be among the best climbers. This must be a joke. :o
User avatar Pentacycle

20 May 2013 19:51

Pentacycle wrote:Come on, even Roche managed to finish in the top 10 and to be among the best climbers. This must be a joke. :o

It was not that bad. Not saying it was that great either. It had promise I remember thinking the first week is all.:p
User avatar contessador

20 May 2013 20:41

Miburo wrote:After that crash Anton was never the same anymore though. Ok zoncolan win but that's it.

2010 was also by far his best year.

He only had some cuts that needed stitches and a cracked elbow/collarbone, not even a total fracture. That crash had no influence on Anton's performance since then.

Anton simply isn't consistent, on his day he is one of the best climbers in the world, simply fantastic, the problem is that for every great day he has 3 average days and 1 terrible during a whole GT.
User avatar Parrulo

20 May 2013 20:45

SafeBet wrote:He'll have plenty of opportunities to win the Vuelta in the future.
Such a hard WC comes once every 15 years, maybe more. And it will be raced in Italy too.

You might be right on this, it do seems worlds is his biggest target later this year. So Vuelta might just be the preparation race.

Before taking his leave, Nibali was pressed on whether he might consider altering his pre-established programme and lining up at the Tour de France if he succeeds in carrying the maglia rosa all the way to Brescia. With the world championships on home roads in Florence in September, however, Nibali was cold on the idea.

"I only want to think about finishing the Giro at the moment, but I've always said that I want to ride the Worlds and I want to be in great form there," he said. "I've done a lot of racing to prepare for the Giro and I've already spent a lot of days away from home between training camps and races. If I rode the Tour I'd have to train in the mountains straightaway to be at my best, but then I wouldn't be at my best for the Worlds."
Either SKY bring us into future or bring us back ten years. Only time will tell.
User avatar maxmartin

21 May 2013 00:34

maxmartin wrote:
"I only want to think about finishing the Giro at the moment, but I've always said that I want to ride the Worlds and I want to be in great form there," he said. "I've done a lot of racing to prepare for the Giro and I've already spent a lot of days away from home between training camps and races. If I rode the Tour I'd have to train in the mountains straightaway to be at my best, but then I wouldn't be at my best for the Worlds."

Good for him, don't get lured into attempting the Giro/Tour double. He will be exhausted after this race, will need a break, not trying le Tour! Get the Worlds instead, would be a nice addition to his palmares if he could pull it off!
Carol S.
~~~~
Alberto Contador: "And yes, it is true that for me it's the same to finish second or 10th."

Vincezo Nibali joins Anquetil, Gimondi, Merckx, Hinault and Contador as only the 6th winner of all 3 Grand Tours! Bravo Lo Squalo!
Carols

21 May 2013 01:18

Lo Squalo lurks :)

Carol S.
~~~~
Alberto Contador: "And yes, it is true that for me it's the same to finish second or 10th."

Vincezo Nibali joins Anquetil, Gimondi, Merckx, Hinault and Contador as only the 6th winner of all 3 Grand Tours! Bravo Lo Squalo!
Carols

21 May 2013 10:45

Parrulo wrote:He only had some cuts that needed stitches and a cracked elbow/collarbone, not even a total fracture. That crash had no influence on Anton's performance since then.

Anton simply isn't consistent, on his day he is one of the best climbers in the world, simply fantastic, the problem is that for every great day he has 3 average days and 1 terrible during a whole GT.

A change of teams might be the answer. A new approach with new people. The guy has talent but like you said, he has too many bad days.
movingtarget

21 May 2013 10:55

Martinelli says zero chance Nibali will ride the Tour, vuelta and worlds for him.
Cyivel

21 May 2013 11:58

Cyivel wrote:Martinelli says zero chance Nibali will ride the Tour, vuelta and worlds for him.

Good to hear.
User avatar SafeBet

21 May 2013 12:06

Parrulo wrote:He only had some cuts that needed stitches and a cracked elbow/collarbone, not even a total fracture. That crash had no influence on Anton's performance since then.

I don't think so. In 2010 he had loads of good days. Fw, liege, castilla Leone, romandie, 3 days in the vuelta. Since then he had 2 or 3 good days in the giro and 1 in the vuelta. Nothing since.
The Hitch: Winner 2013 Vuelta cq game. Winner, Velorooms prediction game 2012, 2013. 2nd all time cq rankings.
The Father of Clean Cycling, Christophe Bassons wrote:When I look at cycling today, I get the impression that history is repeating itself: riders who are supposed to be rouleurs are climbing passes at the front of the race, and those who are supposed to be climbers are riding time trials at more than 50 kilometres per hour.

The story is beginning again, just as it did 14 years ago

journalist with integrity.
User avatar The Hitch

21 May 2013 12:07

I wonder who else will ride la Vuelta to give him a bit of a challenge
"The second place is not good."
The great Alberto Contador :p
User avatar LaFlorecita

21 May 2013 12:12

contessador wrote:It was not that bad. Not saying it was that great either. It had promise I remember thinking the first week is all.:p

It was bad. Maybe for a week stage race it would have been good but for a gt it was the worst field since lord knows when.
The Hitch: Winner 2013 Vuelta cq game. Winner, Velorooms prediction game 2012, 2013. 2nd all time cq rankings.
The Father of Clean Cycling, Christophe Bassons wrote:When I look at cycling today, I get the impression that history is repeating itself: riders who are supposed to be rouleurs are climbing passes at the front of the race, and those who are supposed to be climbers are riding time trials at more than 50 kilometres per hour.

The story is beginning again, just as it did 14 years ago

journalist with integrity.
User avatar The Hitch

21 May 2013 12:55

LaFlorecita wrote:I wonder who else will ride la Vuelta to give him a bit of a challenge

I think it'll be Basso's main goal now. Perhaps Quintana?
User avatar whittashau

PreviousNext

Return to Professional road racing