Register

Nibali discussion thread

A place to discuss all things related to current professional road races. Here, you can also touch on the latest news relating to professional road racing. A doping discussion free forum.

21 May 2013 13:01

LaFlorecita wrote:I wonder who else will ride la Vuelta to give him a bit of a challenge

I would say maybe something like Henao, Quintana, Purito, Valverde, Basso, Contador (maybe), Uran, Rujano, Igor Anton, + whoever crashes out of the Tour early. Far too early to know fore sure at this point of course.

Edit: Maybe Betancur also, and Sanchez (forgot to include him).
Be the Goat

Fabio Aru: "si muore sulla bici"
User avatar Afrank

21 May 2013 13:12

Afrank wrote:I would say maybe something like Henao, Quintana, Purito, Valverde, Basso, Contador (maybe), Uran, Rujano, Igor Anton, + whoever crashes out of the Tour early. Far too early to know fore sure at this point of course.

Quintana will not start.Just TdF for him this year.
Henao,Purito,Valverde,Anton,Samy Sanchez,Basso,Uran,Rujano,Intxausti,Ulissi,Pozzovivo,Mollema,JTL.Purito,Valverde,Basso,Mollema and Anton will have TdF in their legs.Also probably Rujano.
Nibali will have a good challenge.I think Ulissi will surprise a lot of people with his performance.Theoretically he will be the much fresher because he will not ride TdF and also he didn't ride Giro.
Sorry for my bad english.
all_in

21 May 2013 13:18

Do you have a source that says Quintana won't start? He was always scheduled to do the Tour this year but I think it was the hope of many on the forum that he would get to race the Vuelta as leader after supporting Valverde in the Tour.

Valverde and Purito will be more tired after the Tour that's true, but I could still see them trying the Vuelta. After all it is their home race, they have the best chance of doing well in it (better than they can do at the Tour), and they will need it to prepare for worlds.
Also JTL doesn't deserve to be included, he'll never challenge Nibali. ;)
Be the Goat

User avatar Afrank

21 May 2013 13:57

Valverde should just do Vuelta, he has more chance of winning.
And Rui Costa should be leader at Tour because he is clearly stronger
User avatar iZnoGouD

21 May 2013 14:06

iZnoGouD wrote:Valverde should just do Vuelta, he has more chance of winning.
And Rui Costa should be leader at Tour because he is clearly stronger

Don't you ever get tired of saying stupid stuff?
User avatar Parrulo

21 May 2013 14:31

Finally some action
Let us remember what happened on March 16th, 2014

The Hitch wrote:Red Rick. Road Race forum MVP 2014.

The Hitch wrote:#RedRick4RCSRaceDirector.
Red Rick

21 May 2013 14:32

Lol @ the fan falling on his ***
Let us remember what happened on March 16th, 2014

The Hitch wrote:Red Rick. Road Race forum MVP 2014.

The Hitch wrote:#RedRick4RCSRaceDirector.
Red Rick

21 May 2013 15:18

Afrank wrote:Do you have a source that says Quintana won't start? He was always scheduled to do the Tour this year but I think it was the hope of many on the forum that he would get to race the Vuelta as leader after supporting Valverde in the Tour.

Valverde and Purito will be more tired after the Tour that's true, but I could still see them trying the Vuelta. After all it is their home race, they have the best chance of doing well in it (better than they can do at the Tour), and they will need it to prepare for worlds.
Also JTL doesn't deserve to be included, he'll never challenge Nibali. ;)

After LBL Quintana said that he will go to Colombia to prepare for TdF where he will help Valverde.He's just 23 and already have a full season(Andalucia,Paris-Nice,Catalunya,Pais Vasco,FW,LBL+Dauphine before Tour).
Purito after Vuelta presentation said that the parcours is perfect for him and he will participate.Valverde doesn't race too much till now because he want to podium TdF and a reload of the Vuelta.
Sorry for my bad english.
all_in

21 May 2013 15:35

LaFlorecita wrote:I wonder who else will ride la Vuelta to give him a bit of a challenge

Well if Alberto comes 2nd :( in TdF he might have a go to defend his title. That would be a race!
Carol S.
~~~~
Alberto Contador: "And yes, it is true that for me it's the same to finish second or 10th."

Vincezo Nibali joins Anquetil, Gimondi, Merckx, Hinault and Contador as only the 6th winner of all 3 Grand Tours! Bravo Lo Squalo!
Carols

21 May 2013 15:39

The Hitch wrote:It was bad. Maybe for a week stage race it would have been good but for a gt it was the worst field since lord knows when.

Easy to say in hindsight.....Anton looked awesome, Schlecks were there. But yes it was a weak field.

People will say this Giro had a weak field....LOL defending TdF winner, defending Giro winner. They left tail between legs, so final result will make field look weak. But it sure wasn't at the start!
Carol S.
~~~~
Alberto Contador: "And yes, it is true that for me it's the same to finish second or 10th."

Vincezo Nibali joins Anquetil, Gimondi, Merckx, Hinault and Contador as only the 6th winner of all 3 Grand Tours! Bravo Lo Squalo!
Carols

21 May 2013 17:12

don't tell Kangert doesn't work for/help Nibali. He even gave his arm warmers away. :p

Samson

21 May 2013 17:28

Yeah, Kangert has done a great job. And perhaps the team doesn't want him to kill himself working for Nibali like Agnoli does because they want him near by in case of a mechanical or the like. I personally feel Astana has really stepped up and are doing a fantastic job. Also, it looks like Tiralongo might finally be coming right.
User avatar whittashau

21 May 2013 17:35

I know this is Nibali's thread but in Estonian media Kirsipuu said that Kangert could get free role in Vuelta.
Samson

21 May 2013 17:43

Kangert is the best helper Nibali has had so far. Kangert himself could be a strong GT contender, TT and climb exceptionally well. If Nibali only using Vuelta as training ride, Kangert could very well be the GC leader for Astana.
Either SKY bring us into future or bring us back ten years. Only time will tell.
User avatar maxmartin

21 May 2013 19:57

The Hitch wrote:It was bad. Maybe for a week stage race it would have been good but for a gt it was the worst field since lord knows when.

Yeah, I finally looked up the start list to have a look and I don't have much of a defense:o Very thin on competition.

Even so, I enjoyed that Vuelta; probably because Nibs won.
User avatar contessador

21 May 2013 21:06

Carols wrote:Easy to say in hindsight.....Anton looked awesome, Schlecks were there. But yes it was a weak field.

People will say this Giro had a weak field....LOL defending TdF winner, defending Giro winner. They left tail between legs, so final result will make field look weak. But it sure wasn't at the start!

Just so. This Giro has been tough. Maybe in hindsight it will not be remembered as a particularly hard edition, but that wouldn't be right, imo.
User avatar contessador

21 May 2013 21:33

contessador wrote:Just so. This Giro has been tough. Maybe in hindsight it will not be remembered as a particularly hard edition, but that wouldn't be right, imo.

I agree, it's been a hard Giro with multiple 200+ km stages, harsh weather, and demanding classic-like parcours. If the mountain stages get cut more due to weather than it will detract from the difficulty of this year's edition as will the absence of Wiggins and Hesjedal (to a far lesser degree however), but even so it wouldn't be right to remember this year as an easy edition. I for one will remember it as a hard one.
Be the Goat

User avatar Afrank

21 May 2013 21:51

Carols wrote:Easy to say in hindsight.....Anton looked awesome, Schlecks were there. But yes it was a weak field.

Im not saying the giro field was weak im saying the 2010 vuelta field was weak.
Anton crashed out.
Andy was there for about 1 week before he got thrown out by Riis for breaking curfew. During that time he got dropped on a hill which half the sprinters made it over.

One could also say that Menchov was there. Did **** all apart from podium the time trial and come top 10 on a hill stage, but he was there, I guess;)

What was left was a Purito who had done already a full seasons worth of racing before the vuelta began, Schleck the weaker post collarbone injury, Peter Velits, Eze, Tondo :(, Sastre post 2 other gts, Roche and 4 decent Caisse riders none of who was a real gt leader.

No way around it. A very weak field for gt standards.
The Hitch: Winner 2013 Vuelta cq game. Winner, Velorooms prediction game 2012, 2013. 2nd all time cq rankings.
The Father of Clean Cycling, Christophe Bassons wrote:When I look at cycling today, I get the impression that history is repeating itself: riders who are supposed to be rouleurs are climbing passes at the front of the race, and those who are supposed to be climbers are riding time trials at more than 50 kilometres per hour.

The story is beginning again, just as it did 14 years ago

journalist with integrity.
User avatar The Hitch

21 May 2013 22:31

Afrank wrote:I agree, it's been a hard Giro with multiple 200+ km stages, harsh weather, and demanding classic-like parcours. If the mountain stages get cut more due to weather than it will detract from the difficulty of this year's edition as will the absence of Wiggins and Hesjedal (to a far lesser degree however), but even so it wouldn't be right to remember this year as an easy edition. I for one will remember it as a hard one.

even compare to Giro 2011?
User avatar Jelantik

21 May 2013 22:59

Jelantik wrote:even compare to Giro 2011?

Who tried to compare this year's edition to 2011? :confused: 2011 is obviously the hardest Giro we've had in a long time.
Be the Goat

User avatar Afrank

PreviousNext

Return to Professional road racing