Register

Nibali discussion thread

A place to discuss all things related to current professional road races. Here, you can also touch on the latest news relating to professional road racing. A doping discussion free forum.

04 Jun 2012 18:27

im laughing my *** off, 3.5 million for Nibali. As much as the guy has grown on me that's preposterous.
BYOP88 wrote:Great to see that Porte has rediscovered his 2010/11 climbing form. Hope he can keep it for the rest of the Tour and year.
User avatar Dekker_Tifosi

04 Jun 2012 18:29

I actually think the number is plausible, 2.2 M is offered (confirmed) by Liquigas, so whatever Astana or some other team offered must be more than that number.
jens_attacks wrote:don't believe that number even if any pro rider deserves that in my opinion

if it's true,nibali has to up his preparation big time,we'll see
User avatar maxmartin

04 Jun 2012 18:29

Dekker_Tifosi wrote:im laughing my *** off, 3.5 million for Nibali. As much as the guy has grown on me that's preposterous.

Mind, $3.5 million = 2.8 million euros.
"The second place is not good."
The great Alberto Contador :p
User avatar LaFlorecita

04 Jun 2012 18:33

you can laugh all you want, at least Nibali or his agent is extremely smart at negotiating salary, also it shows some people in the peloton have extreme high hope or faith at him.:D
Dekker_Tifosi wrote:im laughing my *** off, 3.5 million for Nibali. As much as the guy has grown on me that's preposterous.
User avatar maxmartin

04 Jun 2012 19:29

yeah that seems way too high a salary for nibali. He can win some short stage races and GT's when against light competition but I simply don't see him winning the Tour against Evans, Schleck, Wiggins...
Swede1

04 Jun 2012 20:17

Maybe that takes into account also Agnoli and Vanotti salary, so you have to subtract those from that amount to have the actul salary for Nibali.
Ivan Basso ha un altro passo!!! Ivan Basso ha un altro passo!!!
User avatar Peccio89

04 Jun 2012 20:24

As his career has progressed he's become an elite competitor that shows himself from early season till the end. From Tirreno to Lombardia and often in between. Look at this season alone. Podiums at MSR and LBL. Overall at Tirreno. He's giving his sponsors more than just a good return on their investment. Whether he can and will beat Evans, Wiggins and Schleck I don't think is of the utmost importance. I would hope that Astana are aware of his attributes and limitations so that their expectations are realistic. He's shown himself to be a low-maintenance, high level performer who additionally has displayed a strong team first attitude aligned with consumate professionalism. His handling of the Sagan drama at Tirreno, his ability in the past to work for the good of the team with Basso and Kreuziger is a testament to his overall class.

I'm an admirer (Obviously huh? :) ) of his so my opinion is likely not as objective as it should be but I can appreciate the attitude he brings to the sport. The sport needs more like him.
"It's a little bit scarey when Contador attacks." Tommie Voeckler
User avatar Angliru

04 Jun 2012 20:27

Swede1 wrote:yeah that seems way too high a salary for nibali. He can win some short stage races and GT's when against light competition but I simply don't see him winning the Tour against Evans, Schleck, Wiggins...

but then ask yourself-how many years have Evans & Wiggo left? Nibali is just getting close to his peak years, so he's "potentially" a GT thread for years to come, having in consideration he will continue to improve.
Can you imagine what I would do if I could do all I can?
Sun Tzu
User avatar hfer07

04 Jun 2012 20:29

Swede1 wrote:yeah that seems way too high a salary for nibali. He can win some short stage races and GT's when against light competition but I simply don't see him winning the Tour against Evans, Schleck, Wiggins...

The figure is not for this year but for the coming years, and you got to believe Nibali will be a match for a Wiggo and a 36 year old cuddles on mountainous Tour courses.

+Nibali can also contend for Giro - Vuelta, rather than tour, or even maybe Tour Vuelta, as well as LBL and GDL
The Hitch: Winner 2013 Vuelta cq game. Winner, Velorooms prediction game 2012, 2013. 2nd all time cq rankings.
The Father of Clean Cycling, Christophe Bassons wrote:When I look at cycling today, I get the impression that history is repeating itself: riders who are supposed to be rouleurs are climbing passes at the front of the race, and those who are supposed to be climbers are riding time trials at more than 50 kilometres per hour.

The story is beginning again, just as it did 14 years ago

journalist with integrity.
User avatar The Hitch

04 Jun 2012 22:40

Angliru wrote:As his career has progressed he's become an elite competitor that shows himself from early season till the end. From Tirreno to Lombardia and often in between. Look at this season alone. Podiums at MSR and LBL. Overall at Tirreno. He's giving his sponsors more than just a good return on their investment. Whether he can and will beat Evans, Wiggins and Schleck I don't think is of the utmost importance. I would hope that Astana are aware of his attributes and limitations so that their expectations are realistic. He's shown himself to be a low-maintenance, high level performer who additionally has displayed a strong team first attitude aligned with consumate professionalism. His handling of the Sagan drama at Tirreno, his ability in the past to work for the good of the team with Basso and Kreuziger is a testament to his overall class.

I'm an admirer (Obviously huh? :) ) of his so my opinion is likely not as objective as it should be but I can appreciate the attitude he brings to the sport. The sport needs more like him.

The Hitch wrote:The figure is not for this year but for the coming years, and you got to believe Nibali will be a match for a Wiggo and a 36 year old cuddles on mountainous Tour courses.

+Nibali can also contend for Giro - Vuelta, rather than tour, or even maybe Tour Vuelta, as well as LBL and GDL

I agree with both of these posts, but still I think it's too much money.
Would make more sense if Peccio is right about Agnoli and Vanotti.
User avatar SafeBet

04 Jun 2012 23:31

SafeBet wrote:I agree with both of these posts, but still I think it's too much money.
Would make more sense if Peccio is right about Agnoli and Vanotti.

The quoted figure last week was $2.5m, imo it's just wild guesses by gazzeta.
killswitch

05 Jun 2012 19:06

vuelta itt 2010:

TA itt 2012:

so can any of you guys spot any significant changes in position? to be honestly his back seems to be flatter but other then that his itt position doesn't seem to have changed much
User avatar Parrulo

05 Jun 2012 19:22

his saddle might be further forwards, but the real question is whether he is in a more stable position.
mb2612

05 Jun 2012 19:27

I Gazzetta dello Sport no mention has been made of BMC, only Astana.
User avatar rhubroma

05 Jun 2012 20:03

Parrulo wrote:vuelta itt 2010:

TA itt 2012:

so can any of you guys spot any significant changes in position? to be honestly his back seems to be flatter but other then that his itt position doesn't seem to have changed much

Wow, big change, he's riding in the other direction:rolleyes:. useless to use two pics from a different angle
Let us remember what happened on March 16th, 2014

The Hitch wrote:Red Rick. Road Race forum MVP 2014.

The Hitch wrote:#RedRick4RCSRaceDirector.
Red Rick

06 Jun 2012 17:10

User avatar maxmartin

06 Jun 2012 17:11

maxmartin wrote:will basso fight with Nobali for leadership in the tour?:confused:

http://www.velonation.com/News/ID/12045/Basso-pledges-to-try-to-win-yellow-or-pink-jersey-before-the-end-of-his-career.aspx

He is incapable of doing so, so no.
User avatar Froome19

06 Jun 2012 17:21

well never say never, i imagine if Basso really do that, the management probably will be behind Basso too.
Froome19 wrote:He is incapable of doing so, so no.
User avatar maxmartin

06 Jun 2012 17:53

Basso already stated in interviews that he will help Nibali, he won't compete with Niballi.
webbie146

06 Jun 2012 18:03

webbie146 wrote:Basso already stated in interviews that he will help Nibali, he won't compete with Niballi.

Like those words mean something :rolleyes:

I wondered about this myself...considering Nibbles is changing team, maybe Leaky is using Basso as a dark horse...in the end he could still be capable of a Top 10 so why not...
User avatar Pippo_San

PreviousNext

Return to Professional road racing