Register

Gesink Discussion Thread

A place to discuss all things related to current professional road races. Here, you can also touch on the latest news relating to professional road racing. A doping discussion free forum.

29 Jul 2015 17:18

Well he seems to realise this is probably his best and he won't improve much anymore. He is thinking of going for stage wins in the Tour next year. He is proud of his 6th place behind the 5 GT champions ahead of him but also realized that he cannot achieve that level and can only hope that a few of them fall away or target other races if he ever wants to podium. So he is thinking about dropping gc and hunting mountain stage wins or other grand tours. But first, rest and targetting the remainder of the races this year
User avatar Dekker_Tifosi

29 Jul 2015 17:31

Now look at that, and i was flamed for saying the exact same thing a month ago.

I'm glad he finally realised it, a bit too late but better late than never.
Last edited by Miburo on 29 Jul 2015 17:32, edited 1 time in total.
User avatar Miburo

Re:

29 Jul 2015 17:32

Dekker_Tifosi wrote:Well he seems to realise this is probably his best and he won't improve much anymore. He is thinking of going for stage wins in the Tour next year. He is proud of his 6th place behind the 5 GT champions ahead of him but also realized that he cannot achieve that level and can only hope that a few of them fall away or target other races if he ever wants to podium. So he is thinking about dropping gc and hunting mountain stage wins or other grand tours. But first, rest and targetting the remainder of the races this year

I think it's too early to go stage hunting.He's still in his prime and he should go for GC a few more years.You never know how the other contenders will show up.Maybe he should switch between TDF and Vuelta and not target only TDF.
User avatar DBotero

29 Jul 2015 19:40

From twittorz
Hakkapelit

Re:

29 Jul 2015 22:50

Dekker_Tifosi wrote:Well he seems to realise this is probably his best and he won't improve much anymore. He is thinking of going for stage wins in the Tour next year. He is proud of his 6th place behind the 5 GT champions ahead of him but also realized that he cannot achieve that level and can only hope that a few of them fall away or target other races if he ever wants to podium. So he is thinking about dropping gc and hunting mountain stage wins or other grand tours. But first, rest and targetting the remainder of the races this year

Immediately after Le Tour i thought exactly this.

What does his CV show,excellent stage racer for GC,Oman winner,TOC winner,2nd in Tirreno after Evans,two nice top 10's at TDF,is he ever likely to win a GT,probably not barring some strange circumstances so far better as he gets towards his absolute peak to target some one day races but especially GT stage wins,i really believe this talented climber can win a Queen stage at TDF or Vuelta,would put a nice sheen on his career IMO.

Go Robert! :)
Tryphon

Re:

29 Jul 2015 22:53

Hakkapelit wrote:Image

From twittorz

Really interesting numbers. More to come from Bobby G!
Tryphon

Previous

Return to Professional road racing