Register

Alberto Contador Discussion Thread

A place to discuss all things related to current professional road races. Here, you can also touch on the latest news relating to professional road racing. A doping discussion free forum.

11 Jul 2013 12:09

spalco wrote:Google translate dutch to english is really good actually, but sometimes funny. Is "flying banana" some kind of idiom in dutch? :D

Nope no idiom as far as I know, he just randomly calls Froome a flying banana. The sentence really means 'That a flying banana from Kenya was busy deciding the Tour, was apparently of secondary importance'.
User avatar Maaaaaaaarten

11 Jul 2013 12:11

Valverde was about to catch the group
User avatar roundabout

11 Jul 2013 12:18

Carols wrote:
Sky is the one that caused Valverde to crash and lose the jersey. I don't remember Saxo working on the front, Katusha backed off when they heard he was down. Berto and Froome did have a little adventure off the front much later. Was Valverde still in hard chase mode then or had he spit the bit?

As far as I remember Valverde was just about to bridge back up to the front group on the climb when Contador put in his little attack. If he hadn't done that then maybe Valverde wouldn't have lost time on that stage.
Keep on Truckin'
User avatar Leadbelly

11 Jul 2013 12:24

roundabout wrote:Valverde was about to catch the group

Well if Berto drove the pace up when he has about to catch on, then he has a legitimate gripe IMO. Could certainly lead to a later grudge.

But this columnist still has it totally wrong. "The basis of the conflict is the fourth stage of the Tour of Spain last year. Valverde rode in the leader's jersey when he crashed into the guardrail. The code of the pack requires then waits for the leader a chance to return. But that did not happen, the pace was just thrown up by a number of teams." It was Sky driving the pace, not Saxo.
Carol S.
~~~~
Alberto Contador: "And yes, it is true that for me it's the same to finish second or 10th."

Vincezo Nibali joins Anquetil, Gimondi, Merckx, Hinault and Contador as only the 6th winner of all 3 Grand Tours! Bravo Lo Squalo!
User avatar Carols

11 Jul 2013 12:29

Leadbelly wrote:As far as I remember Valverde was just about to bridge back up to the front group on the climb when Contador put in his little attack. If he hadn't done that then maybe Valverde wouldn't have lost time on that stage.

loool it´s professional cycling, accidents happens, and Valverde also knows that, it was SKY who set the pace where they shouldn´t have (according to the unwritten rules), and first much later on the climb that AC made his move, you can´t neutralize the entire stage, teams have their tactics planned from the morning, blame SKY not AC, if you can blame anybody, theres no rules, just gentlemen agreements.
User avatar xrayvision

11 Jul 2013 12:29

Carols wrote:He hasn't made a single attack this race; because he cannot; it would be suicide the way he is looking on the climbs.

Are you serious? I mean, there were two(!) moutain stages, in one of them he said, that he got a bad day, also Sky rode a brutal tempo. Only Quitana attacked then, but only on the penultimate climb, when there was a slower tempo.
On the second stage they were able to drop Porte, but it was impossible to hold a gap against Froome in a 30km long non technical descend.
The deal is, that this Tour de France sucks, just like most of them in the past few years. A few moutain stages because it is needed, but nothing serious. There is no place to attack, it's not the Giro, where a rider has 400 chance in 3 week.
Wait until Sunday.
Alberto 'The Legend' Contador: winner of the Vuelta 2012! I will never forget!

Hesjedal!
User avatar vcampbell

11 Jul 2013 12:30

Its human nature to blame someone you consider your friend who has wronged you, more, than someone you dont consider your friend who has wronged you more.
The Hitch: Winner 2013 Vuelta cq game. Winner, Velorooms prediction game 2012, 2013. 2nd all time cq rankings.
The Father of Clean Cycling, Christophe Bassons wrote:When I look at cycling today, I get the impression that history is repeating itself: riders who are supposed to be rouleurs are climbing passes at the front of the race, and those who are supposed to be climbers are riding time trials at more than 50 kilometres per hour.

The story is beginning again, just as it did 14 years ago

journalist with integrity.
User avatar The Hitch

11 Jul 2013 12:40

why is riis saying this? They already said they would do something in pyranees and did squat. There is no advantage to saying it. If they will really do it then well see when they do it.
The Hitch: Winner 2013 Vuelta cq game. Winner, Velorooms prediction game 2012, 2013. 2nd all time cq rankings.
The Father of Clean Cycling, Christophe Bassons wrote:When I look at cycling today, I get the impression that history is repeating itself: riders who are supposed to be rouleurs are climbing passes at the front of the race, and those who are supposed to be climbers are riding time trials at more than 50 kilometres per hour.

The story is beginning again, just as it did 14 years ago

journalist with integrity.
User avatar The Hitch

11 Jul 2013 12:44

they had their chance, doubt that Porte is gonna dehydrate/recover that poorly again + kennaugh crashing. plus there is no room for tactics at the ventoux stage and the 2nd itt, by then froome will be >6mins ahead of conti.
Sophistic82

11 Jul 2013 12:49

vcampbell wrote:Are you serious? I mean, there were two(!) moutain stages, in one of them he said, that he got a bad day, also Sky rode a brutal tempo. Only Quitana attacked then, but only on the penultimate climb, when there was a slower tempo.
On the second stage they were able to drop Porte, but it was impossible to hold a gap against Froome in a 30km long non technical descend.
The deal is, that this Tour de France sucks, just like most of them in the past few years. A few moutain stages because it is needed, but nothing serious. There is no place to attack, it's not the Giro, where a rider has 400 chance in 3 week.
Wait until Sunday.

Yes I'm serious. Attack is indeed the wrong word, there hasn't really been the opportunity since his meltdown on AX3.

But on what climb has he looked good???? There were 5 climbs on the next stage. On which one did he look good? He closed gaps to Froome, looked worn out and sent Roman to the front to control it so he wouldn't have to cover moves again.

If you've seen any spark of the old Berto in this entire race, please point it out to me because I've missed it. And he is still in a position to podium; pure class that one.

He needs Legs for Sunday...we shall see. If he has legs it will be awesome :)
Carol S.
~~~~
Alberto Contador: "And yes, it is true that for me it's the same to finish second or 10th."

Vincezo Nibali joins Anquetil, Gimondi, Merckx, Hinault and Contador as only the 6th winner of all 3 Grand Tours! Bravo Lo Squalo!
User avatar Carols

11 Jul 2013 12:51

Sophistic82 wrote:they had their chance, doubt that Porte is gonna dehydrate/recover that poorly again + kennaugh crashing. plus there is no room for tactics at the ventoux stage and the 2nd itt, by then froome will be >6mins ahead of conti.

The heat could effect a lot of riders if it is extreme on the Ventoux stage. The stage before could be the tactical one.
movingtarget

11 Jul 2013 13:02

spalco wrote:Google translate dutch to english is really good actually, but sometimes funny. Is "flying banana" some kind of idiom in dutch? :D

And man, Valverde is good at keeping a grudge apparently. Or maybe he was envious of Contador's success in the years before that Vuelta already, with him getting in his mind unfairly punished and Contador riding to his greatest triumphs and even returning to his winning ways after the ban.

Ahaha no a flying banana from Kenya is Froome because he was flying, in yellow and apparently looks like a banana :confused:
"The second place is not good."
The great Alberto Contador :p
User avatar LaFlorecita

11 Jul 2013 13:06

I would be happy with just a stage win but no idea where he could get one. Gap stage maybe.
"The second place is not good."
The great Alberto Contador :p
User avatar LaFlorecita

11 Jul 2013 13:24

LaFlorecita wrote:I would be happy with just a stage win but no idea where he could get one. Gap stage maybe.

I just hope he'll still try and win this tour.
thehog wrote:JV if you truly wish to save cycling.

Do something.

You know it's not real.

Your Garmin guys are getting killed.
User avatar Miburo

11 Jul 2013 13:27

Carols wrote:Yes I'm serious. Attack is indeed the wrong word, there hasn't really been the opportunity since his meltdown on AX3.

But on what climb has he looked good???? There were 5 climbs on the next stage. On which one did he look good? He closed gaps to Froome, looked worn out and sent Roman to the front to control it so he wouldn't have to cover moves again.

If you've seen any spark of the old Berto in this entire race, please point it out to me because I've missed it. And he is still in a position to podium; pure class that one.

If you have signed up for NBC Sports online service you can see the ENTIRE stage 9, where he looked QUITE good on the climbs (and I could finally see Saxo riding aggressively in the first portion of the stage that led to Sky's implosion). I think once the televised portion came on there was effectively a cease fire (and then the heat took its effect on the "peloton" as a whole). I do think they lost an opportunity to attack, even with the 30 KM to the finish, since Froome would have had to lead the chase and burn up some of his (apparently limitless) reserves. It could have affected his ITT performance. Who knows. All water under the bridge now.
"The truth is when I race, it's 100% me" Alberto Contador

"I have no intention of being a conformist in this race. Not in the slightest" Alberto Contador

"We should all have more cake. Who doesn’t like cake?" Oleg Tinkov
User avatar Publicus

11 Jul 2013 13:30

The Hitch wrote:why is riis saying this? They already said they would do something in pyranees and did squat. There is no advantage to saying it. If they will really do it then well see when they do it.

I'm with you on this one. Don't talk it, if you aren't going to walk it.

I just hope he'll still try and win this tour.

This. I want to see him leave it ALL on the road to get victory, because I'm not in any way confident that Valverde or Team Belkin will do so (they both seem quite content with preserving their current position instead of contending for the overall victory (which I suspect Sky is counting on to help them neutralize any Saxo attacks)).
"The truth is when I race, it's 100% me" Alberto Contador

"I have no intention of being a conformist in this race. Not in the slightest" Alberto Contador

"We should all have more cake. Who doesn’t like cake?" Oleg Tinkov
User avatar Publicus

11 Jul 2013 13:37

Carols wrote:Yes I'm serious. Attack is indeed the wrong word, there hasn't really been the opportunity since his meltdown on AX3.

You wrote down the magic words and can't see them? There were 5 climbs on the next stage, with lots of attacks, brutal tempo and he was able to be there and defend his position, and was able to respond every attack.
He/they said he peaked for the third week. What do you expect? This is not the Vuelta, this is a build up season after last year, with lot of races and lot of km's. You want attacks from him? Sunday my friend. If we don't count Ax3 he is in a good position, but that moutain happened. He will be much better than this, and we will still see a Froome in panic.
Alberto 'The Legend' Contador: winner of the Vuelta 2012! I will never forget!

Hesjedal!
User avatar vcampbell

11 Jul 2013 13:43

One can only hope for the interest of the race that things get shuffled around, but frankly, when was the last time that happened? It's pretty rare for a racer stronger in the first week to get beaten in the third...1989 comes to mind, 1996 to some extent, 2008...
webvan

11 Jul 2013 13:46

vcampbell wrote:You want attacks from him? Sunday my friend. If we don't count Ax3 he is in a good position, but that moutain happened. He will be much better than this, and we will still see a Froome in panic.

I will be watching with bated breath :) Praying for Berto with form :)
Carol S.
~~~~

User avatar Carols

11 Jul 2013 13:56

Carols wrote:I will be watching with bated breath :) Praying for Berto with form :)

me too.

The good thing is that he will only improve until the end of the race... based in his previous levels...

And we need to hope that Froome will decrease....

The midia is writing that the third week is the hardest... so there is a little hope with the cross of the two 'facts' above.

But I will be happy if he (AC) lose it giving 100% in the road, not only trying the podium. Something like Alp Huez in 2011 or Fuente De in 2012.

But in the other side, AC points will not count.. so, it is possible to happen what 'the hitch' already wrote here... Alberto would be the 'horse of troia' in froomes strength, lauching Romain to a good position in the podium/win?!

Riis already said that Romain did not matter in terms of GC... this must be a hint!
User avatar ThirdWorld

PreviousNext

Return to Professional road racing