Register

Alberto Contador Discussion Thread

A place to discuss all things related to current professional road races. Here, you can also touch on the latest news relating to professional road racing. A doping discussion free forum.

14 Jul 2013 18:44

LaFlorecita wrote:I can't help but think I should stop following Alberto. Ever since I started following him really closely (2010) he has been underperforming on every stage or race I watched bar etna.

And this morning I was torn-what should I do? Watch the paris stage and ceremony or not? I want to see Alberto on the podium, but seeing Froome on the top step would be unbearable for me. And then I got feeling Alberto was gonna win: he'd follow Froome on this stage and break him in the coming stages. I would actually see Alberto ride into paris in yellow for the first time, I'd see him cross the finish line with his arms in the air for the first time, I'd see him on the podium for the first time. And now I'm torn again :(

It will be painful LaFlo, but if you love Cycling stick with it. I know Alberto brought you to cycling but it is and always will be a great sport with or without Berto.

I will watch no matter who is on the steps because I've loved cycling for decades before Berto came along. Watching Wiggo last year wasn't pleasant and watching Froome Dawg will be much worse :(

But Cycling Lives on, they are only players on the stage for their allotted time, then the next crop takes over, it is the way of sport.

Berto will be up there and he will smile and be gracious because he is a great, classy, gentleman. There might even be 2 Saxos up there!

When his time is past you will find another favorite to root for :)
Carol S.
~~~~
Alberto Contador: "And yes, it is true that for me it's the same to finish second or 10th."

Vincezo Nibali joins Anquetil, Gimondi, Merckx, Hinault and Contador as only the 6th winner of all 3 Grand Tours! Bravo Lo Squalo!
User avatar Carols

14 Jul 2013 18:45

LaFlorecita wrote:I can't help but think I should stop following Alberto. Ever since I started following him really closely (2010) he has been underperforming on every stage or race I watched bar etna.

And this morning I was torn-what should I do? Watch the paris stage and ceremony or not? I want to see Alberto on the podium, but seeing Froome on the top step would be unbearable for me. And then I got feeling Alberto was gonna win: he'd follow Froome on this stage and break him in the coming stages. I would actually see Alberto ride into paris in yellow for the first time, I'd see him cross the finish line with his arms in the air for the first time, I'd see him on the podium for the first time. And now I'm torn again :(

Ya its all because of you, poor Alberto . . . :rolleyes:
User avatar Parrulo

14 Jul 2013 18:45

at the end, quintana allies with froome was contador's nightmare. Next week, contador will be busy to fend off quintana's charge. And froome looks like will have another strong ally from movistar.
User avatar Jelantik

14 Jul 2013 18:46

Contador should concentrate on second place (beating Quintana and Mollema). There is no point trying to follow Froome.
Ullrich fan 1996-2005, Contador fan since 2009
TomekA

14 Jul 2013 18:51

Carols wrote:It will be painful LaFlo, but if you love Cycling stick with it. I know Alberto brought you to cycling but it is and always will be a great sport with or without Berto.

I will watch no matter who is on the steps because I've loved cycling for decades before Berto came along. Watching Wiggo last year wasn't pleasant and watching Froome Dawg will be much worse :(

But Cycling Lives on, they are only players on the stage for their allotted time, then the next crop takes over, it is the way of sport.

Berto will be up there and he will smile and be gracious because he is a great, classy, gentleman. There might even be 2 Saxos up there!

How come Froome worse Carol, because he is more dominant or just have not took to him as I would have thought you liking attacking riders you would have enjoyed CF more than BW.
Froome is the man get prepared for this in the next few years he is the best GT rider for long time.
User avatar TANK91

14 Jul 2013 18:53

TomekA wrote:Contador should concentrate on second place (beating Quintana and Mollema). There is no point trying to follow Froome.

True, but I'd rather see him go down in flames then turn into a defensive cyclist!
Carol S.
~~~~
Alberto Contador: "And yes, it is true that for me it's the same to finish second or 10th."

Vincezo Nibali joins Anquetil, Gimondi, Merckx, Hinault and Contador as only the 6th winner of all 3 Grand Tours! Bravo Lo Squalo!
User avatar Carols

14 Jul 2013 18:55

Jelantik wrote:the destiny has spoken: "I'm survivor.. I'm survivoooorrrrr.. I'm (not) gonnaa makeee iiiiiiit" :p

today's proof: contador didn't have the form to even keep his lost. It's either banking on 3rd week was a bad plan or he is never achieve the same form. Or maybe this "is" what his 'old form', it's just over shine by froome's form. Also, the fact that contador's interview never shows any sign of his talk about his sensation, it kinda already say it all.

hat's off for mollema for hanging there. I guess, eating mollema as contador's breakfast will have to wait until another mountain :D:D

btw, it was a nice interview on tele from nicholas roche... Boy, the server is down again. CN must have exploded again .. LOL.. Don't CN learn to add bandwith capacity with so many hits at the same time??

on the side note: isn't that the winner of tdf always win stage? Froome has won 2 stages. Based on superstitious, he is most likely if not for sure the winner of 2013 TDF.

still 3rd week... tbd. Saxo boys looks strong. even krueziger looked really good.

Yes this is a very good post atlest he tried today he just don't have the legs, what I don't get is how he does not put his nose into the wind? Why did he just stay on Nieve today? Has the Kreu thing annoyed you I thought it was silly bringing Mollema back with him he should have followed the Belkin guys in, I may be getting deceived but AC did not look happy looking back a few ties to see who was in RK group.
Froome is the man get prepared for this in the next few years he is the best GT rider for long time.
User avatar TANK91

14 Jul 2013 19:13

With all due respect, but is evident you never liked Contador at all- You adore/praise/cheer him ONLY when he wins-not in defeat or difficulty. At this point, I won't be surprised if next year you'll dispose him like a bad habit, find the next rider to cheer for and move on......

sad indeed-but good luck to you Flo- it was fan anyways.....
Can you imagine what I would do if I could do all I can?
Sun Tzu
User avatar hfer07

14 Jul 2013 19:17

Carols wrote:It will be painful LaFlo, but if you love Cycling stick with it. I know Alberto brought you to cycling but it is and always will be a great sport with or without Berto.

You know I doubt I actually love cycling. I like other cyclists as well but none get me so excited and on the edge of my seat as Alberto.

:(

You're right, it's just hard to accept especially because it seems like Alberto should have so many more good years left.

Yes and that's why I want to see him but I know it'll be fake, maybe he'll be smiling but he'll be dying on the inside. I want to see him smile and be happy but I want him to be genuinely happy.

I hope so but I can't see it. I'm desperately trying to find a new favorite but I just can't find one, Alberto is Alberto. He really needs to become good again, I don't think I'll be able to follow cycling closely without Alberto... it isn't looking good :mad: it's so frustrating. I really want to kow what is going on, but I guess we'll never find out.

Anyway if Alberto decides to stay in the race I hope he can at least win a stage, otherwise it's just a gigantic struggle for nothing.

I actually think it would be better to lose a lot of time, then go for a stage win. Saxo would not win the team classification but I doubt it's a real goal anyway.
"The second place is not good."
The great Alberto Contador :p
User avatar LaFlorecita

14 Jul 2013 19:20

TANK91 wrote:Yes this is a very good post atlest he tried today he just don't have the legs, what I don't get is how he does not put his nose into the wind? Why did he just stay on Nieve today? Has the Kreu thing annoyed you I thought it was silly bringing Mollema back with him he should have followed the Belkin guys in, I may be getting deceived but AC did not look happy looking back a few ties to see who was in RK group.

I was wondering about that as well and was yelling at the TV - come on, do something! But I guess he was just completely done.
User avatar LaFlorecita

14 Jul 2013 19:22

hfer07 wrote:With all due respect, but is evident you never liked Contador at all- You adore/praise/cheer him ONLY when he wins-not in defeat or difficulty. At this point, I won't be surprised if next year you'll dispose him like a bad habit, find the next rider to cheer for and move on......

You couldn't be more wrong.
User avatar LaFlorecita

14 Jul 2013 19:24

hfer07 wrote:With all due respect, but is evident you never liked Contador at all- You adore/praise/cheer him ONLY when he wins-not in defeat or difficulty. At this point, I won't be surprised if next year you'll dispose him like a bad habit, find the next rider to cheer for and move on......

She is his fan,one of the best!But like all of us imo she has her way of supporting and following cycling and Berto,thats all.You are wrong.
Alberto Contador fanboy
Proud Participant of a Thrilling Foxxy's GGTG 2014-15
User avatar ILovecycling

14 Jul 2013 19:28

@Flo
If you hate Froome (i dont for example) you can support Nairo maybe.He is one of a few cyclist who can beat Froome next year and you'll get your revenge and have a new cyclist to cheer for after Alberto retires.:)
Alberto Contador fanboy
Proud Participant of a Thrilling Foxxy's GGTG 2014-15
User avatar ILovecycling

14 Jul 2013 19:40

Has Contador/Tinkoff said anything, anywhere, about today's stage?
Maybe Kreuziger should be freed to have a shot at the podium?
Gugashwill

14 Jul 2013 19:43

ILovecycling wrote:@Flo
If you hate Froome (i dont for example) you can support Nairo maybe.He is one of a few cyclist who can beat Froome next year and you'll get your revenge and have a new cyclist to cheer for after Alberto retires.:)

I'm trying. I like him but he's nowhere near Alberto's level of awesomeness for me.
User avatar LaFlorecita

14 Jul 2013 19:44

"@MikeKaltoft: Sounds like Bjarne Riis is about to give up on winning the Tour - now going for two riders on the podium and winning the Team GC."
User avatar LaFlorecita

14 Jul 2013 19:47

TANK91 wrote:Yes this is a very good post atlest he tried today he just don't have the legs, what I don't get is how he does not put his nose into the wind? Why did he just stay on Nieve today? Has the Kreu thing annoyed you I thought it was silly bringing Mollema back with him he should have followed the Belkin guys in, I may be getting deceived but AC did not look happy looking back a few ties to see who was in RK group.

When I saw the attack from Kreuziger, I thought that mollema had nothing left. I dont want to blame kreu for it.

Also, AC seemed not at his best.
Cycling is interesting only because the line between the improbable and the attainable is not clear.
murali

14 Jul 2013 19:49

LaFlorecita wrote:You know I doubt I actually love cycling. I like other cyclists as well but none get me so excited and on the edge of my seat as Alberto.

Well for me it is the sport first and riders second. There are Very Special Riders that come along and steal my heart, Alberto is certainly one of those. But I can enjoy just about any bike race. If one can't root for a rider just enjoy the tactics and chess match. Heck I'll even root for Tommy V. to make it interesting.

You're right, it's just hard to accept especially because it seems like Alberto should have so many more good years left.

Yes he should, but it appears we will not see his best again, so need to appreciate what he gave us for all those years and wish him the best from here on out. Maybe he can make a resurgence next season. If not he will have to win on race savvy and tactics or retire.

Indurain put it best 'only the sour fruit is left for me', he went out, won an Olympic Gold and retired at the end of that year.

Yes and that's why I want to see him but I know it'll be fake, maybe he'll be smiling but he'll be dying on the inside. I want to see him smile and be happy but I want him to be genuinely happy.

If you came in 2010, you saw Tour, Giro, Vuelta!!!

I hope so but I can't see it. I'm desperately trying to find a new favorite but I just can't find one, Alberto is Alberto. He really needs to become good again, I don't think I'll be able to follow cycling closely without Alberto... it isn't looking good :mad: it's so frustrating. I really want to kow what is going on, but I guess we'll never find out.

There will never be another Alberto, that is a given. I've been following Nibs for 3+ years and he is just coming into his own. Pick a young one and follow him. Quintana, who could not love that guy??? He is a star in the making.

Well I think I know what is going on with Alberto and I've expressed it here more than once....the Flame of Greatness is flickering :(

Anyway if Alberto decides to stay in the race I hope he can at least win a stage, otherwise it's just a gigantic struggle for nothing.

Second is not nothing although I'm sure it will seem like that to him as well as us his fans.

I actually think it would be better to lose a lot of time, then go for a stage win. Saxo would not win the team classification but I doubt it's a real goal anyway.

I don't think there is a stage with his name on it here unless his legs come good, Froome will never let him go even if he is 10 mins down :(

Appreciate all he has given us, the bounty of 6 years, to watch whenever we want to :) Maybe we will get a bit more before he hangs up the wheels, I hope so.
Carol S.
~~~~

User avatar Carols

14 Jul 2013 19:56

LaFlorecita wrote:"@MikeKaltoft: Sounds like Bjarne Riis is about to give up on winning the Tour - now going for two riders on the podium and winning the Team GC."

Well that is a reasonable goal.......and appears the best they can do.
Carol S.
~~~~

User avatar Carols

14 Jul 2013 19:58

LaFlorecita wrote:I'm trying. I like him but he's nowhere near Alberto's level of awesomeness for me.

LaFlo, cyclists of Alberto's level of awesomeness are few and far between. They steal one's heart when they appear.
Carol S.
~~~~

User avatar Carols

PreviousNext

Return to Professional road racing