Register

Alberto Contador Discussion Thread

A place to discuss all things related to current professional road races. Here, you can also touch on the latest news relating to professional road racing. A doping discussion free forum.

14 Jul 2013 21:18

LaFlorecita wrote:Yes the tweets you find when you search for "contador" are mindblowing. Some even have the courage to tweet it directly to him "albertocontador"

Well that is pretty disgusting :( Jerks..... :(
Carol S.
~~~~
Alberto Contador: "And yes, it is true that for me it's the same to finish second or 10th."

Vincezo Nibali joins Anquetil, Gimondi, Merckx, Hinault and Contador as only the 6th winner of all 3 Grand Tours! Bravo Lo Squalo!
Carols

14 Jul 2013 21:18

Dutchsmurf wrote:It wasn't a disgrace, it was a clear sign he just couldn't go any faster and was happy he managed to hang on with Nieve that long. If it was wheelhanging, he would have went for it with 500m to go or so.

Fair enough, I should have really said 'and a bit disappointing'. Never been a fan, but it was a bit sad to see. Someone above has mentioned that Saxo couild now help Nieve in the KOM?

Still think Contador will have the best third week of the rest. Saxo v Movistar now even more interesting?
postmanhat

14 Jul 2013 21:19

Dekker_Tifosi wrote:I refuse to believe this is his true level. Maybe he overtrained in the winter or has some sort of virus or injury he doesn't talk about.. or maybe he is just declining at a very early age, like sometimes happens to early superstars.

It's sad though, I really wanted to see what a top Contador could've done against Froome. I expected a battle. But unfortunately it's the same Contador we've seen all year. Not good enough, even mediocre for his doing. A normal Contador would've been minutes ahead of Mollema and Ten frikking Dam

100 times this,

It says a lot about Contador that we're all saying he sucks this Tour while he's 3rd in GC
Let us remember what happened on March 16th, 2014

The Hitch wrote:Red Rick. Road Race forum MVP 2014.

The Hitch wrote:#RedRick4RCSRaceDirector.
Red Rick

14 Jul 2013 21:19

Dekker_Tifosi wrote:I refuse to believe this is his true level. Maybe he overtrained in the winter or has some sort of virus or injury he doesn't talk about.. or maybe he is just declining at a very early age, like sometimes happens to early superstars.

This IMO.....
Carol S.
~~~~
Alberto Contador: "And yes, it is true that for me it's the same to finish second or 10th."

Vincezo Nibali joins Anquetil, Gimondi, Merckx, Hinault and Contador as only the 6th winner of all 3 Grand Tours! Bravo Lo Squalo!
Carols

14 Jul 2013 21:29

Red Rick wrote:
It says a lot about Contador that we're all saying he sucks this Tour while he's 3rd in GC

Indeed it does,he is riding on Pure Class. Can most likely finish second while failing. Just about any other cyclist would be happy to podium but for him and his fans it is a tremendous letdown.
Carol S.
~~~~

Carols

14 Jul 2013 21:38

Exactly, Contador can suck and still finish 2nd. Mollema can surpass himself this Tour and still finish 5th. That's the difference in talent. But it only makes it more painful to know what could've been if Contador was actually good :(
BYOP88 wrote:Great to see that Porte has rediscovered his 2010/11 climbing form. Hope he can keep it for the rest of the Tour and year.
User avatar Dekker_Tifosi

14 Jul 2013 21:58

Contador is riding a lot like Comeback 2.0. Wheelsucking, getting dropped by guys who will end up on the podium. I don't recall the cyclingnews crowd speaking about Lance riding on 'pure class' that Tour when Alberto won and Lance got 3rd. How times change with the fortunes of this forum's favorite rider.
warmfuzzies

14 Jul 2013 22:00

Donkey wrote:Quintana has nothing in his brain. He's just a climber. Not an adorable personality.
You honour your name very well.
Do you want to watch better bike racing? => Team radios (not race radio) must go!
User avatar cineteq

14 Jul 2013 22:01

warmfuzzies wrote:Contador is riding a lot like Comeback 2.0. Wheelsucking, getting dropped by guys who will end up on the podium. I don't recall the cyclingnews crowd speaking about Lance riding on 'pure class' that Tour when Alberto won and Lance got 3rd. How times change with the fortunes of this forum's favorite rider.

this just shows you being dominant in the sports does not necessarily means you won fans' hearts, same applies to Froom LOL
Either SKY bring us into future or bring us back ten years. Only time will tell.
User avatar maxmartin

14 Jul 2013 22:01

warmfuzzies wrote:Contador is riding a lot like Comeback 2.0. Wheelsucking, getting dropped by guys who will end up on the podium. I don't recall the cyclingnews crowd speaking about Lance riding on 'pure class' that Tour when Alberto won and Lance got 3rd. How times change with the fortunes of this forum's favorite rider.

Again with the Contador is cyclingnews forum fav rider thing.
Testing the bounds of reality.
User avatar Zam_Olyas

14 Jul 2013 22:07

Ive been the one telling it like it is all Tour while yall been saying he is gonna win.

But ill offer some hope. Weather ive seen is rain on tuesday, wednsday thursday and Frinday and maybe Saturday.

We dont know if thats true.

If it did happen then it takes 3 days to fall ill, so say Froome will be ok in Gap and tt and Alpe d huez. But on Bornand and Annency, maybe there will be some weakness?

Contador afterall said he hopes for rain.

And then all he may need is those 10 seconds on Mollema + whatever he loses on Wednsday.

Even if no illness then on Alpe d huez if Froome is isolated Contador can send some teammates up the road - Jesus and Rogers, then attack on the descent and ttt it halfway up Alpe. Who knows.
The Hitch: Winner 2013 Vuelta cq game. Winner, Velorooms prediction game 2012, 2013. 2nd all time cq rankings.
The Father of Clean Cycling, Christophe Bassons wrote:When I look at cycling today, I get the impression that history is repeating itself: riders who are supposed to be rouleurs are climbing passes at the front of the race, and those who are supposed to be climbers are riding time trials at more than 50 kilometres per hour.

The story is beginning again, just as it did 14 years ago

journalist with integrity.
User avatar The Hitch

14 Jul 2013 22:10

Red Rick wrote:100 times this,

tbf lots of that came not from his own work. The ttt, then the other ttt + Kreuziger who should be above him pacing him all the way on Bonsacre + Valverde mechanical.

He has probably only been about 6th best rider in this tour.
The Hitch: Winner 2013 Vuelta cq game. Winner, Velorooms prediction game 2012, 2013. 2nd all time cq rankings.
The Father of Clean Cycling, Christophe Bassons wrote:When I look at cycling today, I get the impression that history is repeating itself: riders who are supposed to be rouleurs are climbing passes at the front of the race, and those who are supposed to be climbers are riding time trials at more than 50 kilometres per hour.

User avatar The Hitch

14 Jul 2013 22:12

[SIZE="5"]NOT GIVING UP ON CONTADOR!![/SIZE]

No No No No No...

Stop it all of you.... He will comeback in the alps!! and Froome will fade! Fuq logic! Contador will comeback to win this Tour!!
[color=DarkRed]"Inspired by Climbing"
[/color]Allez Contador!
User avatar Ryaguas

14 Jul 2013 22:13

The Hitch wrote:Ive been the one telling it like it is all Tour while yall been saying he is gonna win.

But ill offer some hope. Weather ive seen is rain on tuesday, wednsday thursday and Frinday and maybe Saturday.

We dont know if thats true.

If it did happen then it takes 3 days to fall ill, so say Froome will be ok in Gap and tt and Alpe d huez. But on Bornand and Annency, maybe there will be some weakness?

Contador afterall said he hopes for rain.

And then all he may need is those 10 seconds on Mollema + whatever he loses on Wednsday.

Even if no illness then on Alpe d huez if Froome is isolated Contador can send some teammates up the road - Jesus and Rogers, then attack on the descent and ttt it halfway up Alpe. Who knows.

Romandie weather posed no problems for Froome though.
del1962

14 Jul 2013 22:14

He can take second place in the third week and if lucky can win the Tour in the fourth. But he must watch Quintana.
User avatar Rollthedice

14 Jul 2013 22:56

del1962 wrote:Romandie weather posed no problems for Froome though.

yeha funny that. Considering Sky originally said the miracle was explained by the fact that froome liked the hot of the vuelta and 2012 tdf. Then he goes to Romandie and likes the cold rain too.

But sky knew of course everyone would forget that excuse by then.

User avatar The Hitch

14 Jul 2013 22:59

Zam_Olyas wrote:Again with the Contador is cyclingnews forum fav rider thing.

Let me make that 3x. Contador, in my view, is the cyclingnews forum fav rider. I've rarely seen such an ability to deny the obvious in order to nail a halo around his head. Even when there are so many reasons to NOT view Contador with much positive emotion. His form is one reason, his sportsmanship in prior Tours another.
warmfuzzies

14 Jul 2013 23:05

warmfuzzies wrote:Let me make that 3x. Contador, in my view, is the cyclingnews forum fav rider. I've rarely seen such an ability to deny the obvious in order to nail a halo around his head. Even when there are so many reasons to NOT view Contador with much positive emotion. His form is one reason, his sportsmanship in prior Tours another.

What is the count of users having him as their fav rider?. But i get it, that's your view.
Testing the bounds of reality.
User avatar Zam_Olyas

14 Jul 2013 23:49

Nothing to do against a juiced up guy, history speaks for it self.
User avatar xrayvision

14 Jul 2013 23:54

It's sad though, I really wanted to see what a top Contador could've done against Froome. I expected a battle. But unfortunately it's the same Contador we've seen all year. Not good enough, even mediocre for his doing. A normal Contador would've been minutes ahead of Mollema and Ten frikking Dam

More like the opposite. He told Marca that he didn't get in enough base miles over the winter and so he has been below his normal level all season.
Beech Mtn

PreviousNext

Return to Professional road racing