Register

Alberto Contador Discussion Thread

A place to discuss all things related to current professional road races. Here, you can also touch on the latest news relating to professional road racing. A doping discussion free forum.

16 Jul 2013 17:15

murali wrote:you
are
giving
too
much
credit
to froome/

AC is like a wolf. he prods, retreats, prods, retreats, prods, and then retreats; giving his prey a false sense of security. Then he attacks. Thats the charm of AC.

The dawg was scared that AC will launch another attack after some tight corner, and he was forced to follow AC's wheel closely. This is what a wolf does to lambs--force them to make mistakes.

I have seen a fair few wolves in my time... But never one running down the road with lambs chasing him... :D

But I get what you mean... :)
Le Baroudeur

16 Jul 2013 17:15

oldcrank wrote:Are you sure Froome is mad at Contador? Or was Chris just
correctly pointing out that Alberto's attack was perhaps not
tactically astute at that particular time on that particular
descent?

I followed that interview and the "mad" part was pretty much made up to stir things up. In the full context, Froome was simply describing the facts of the incident to the interviewers.

"It was quite a dangerous descent and quite famous for Beloki's crash and Armstrong doing his off-road stuff. It was a bit careless of Contador to attack. He was pushing the limits and crashed. I went off the road and had to unclip before getting back going again. I was lucky to have Richie Porte there. He covered about 10 attacks and I'm really happy to have him there with me."
User avatar wwabbit

16 Jul 2013 17:17

boladelmundo wrote:Did Movistar really attack at that point? Didn't Bertie finally catch up again with them? Sorry, not watching streaming today but only following from the forum.

in short, nope.

porte pulled froome and bertie back to the quintana group.

if movistar had really attacked, then i don't think porte would have been able to catch them. MOV just made porte work a little bit extra so that he is totally neutralized in the TT. i heard elsewhere that quintana launched an attack after the crash. don't trust that it was a genuine attack though. otherwise he wouldn't have asked bertie whether he was ok.
Cycling is interesting only because the line between the improbable and the attainable is not clear.
murali

16 Jul 2013 17:20

Carols wrote:well based on his on road behavior and comments afterwards sure seemed he was a bit upset. All he needed to do was back off and go down at his own speed.

Berto wants to take risks that is his business.

Correct. Its his own business. I cannot understand Froome being upset except that he is upset at himself for following him without first thinking about the best tactical counter move. He really cannot expect opponents to sit and twiddle their thumbs? Who does that in a major?

He is really scared by Alberto, now he doesn't know what to expect. I think tomorrow he will shoot to get another 2-3minutes on AC. If AC can keep it to a few seconds he will panic big time.
jilbiker

16 Jul 2013 17:20

Le Baroudeur wrote:I have seen a fair few wolves in my time... But never one running down the road with lambs chasing him... :D

lol.....
a very nice way of putting it, esp in the current scenario
Cycling is interesting only because the line between the improbable and the attainable is not clear.
murali

16 Jul 2013 17:21

airstream wrote:
<whatever, because I didn't bother reading it>

Shouldn't you be busy in the Andy thread, bandwagon-boy...
Le Baroudeur

16 Jul 2013 17:21

wwabbit wrote:I followed that interview and the "mad" part was pretty much made up to stir things up. In the full context, Froome was simply describing the facts of the incident to the interviewers.

"It was quite a dangerous descent and quite famous for Beloki's crash and Armstrong doing his off-road stuff. It was a bit careless of Contador to attack. He was pushing the limits and crashed. I went off the road and had to unclip before getting back going again. I was lucky to have Richie Porte there. He covered about 10 attacks and I'm really happy to have him there with me."

Omg,whinning Dawg:o
Alberto Contador fanboy
Vamos Colombia!
Ryo Hazuki in August 2013 wrote:what? quintana is already better climber than froome. see final stages of the tour and he's only 23. quintana is the best climber I've sene since pantani. he will become a legend
User avatar ILovecycling

16 Jul 2013 17:25

I'm just wondering... will most of you settle on Froome special thread forever if he takes a quads (Ax 3, Mont Ventoux, Alpe-d'Huez and Annecy-Semnoz) or not....
User avatar airstream

16 Jul 2013 17:26

wwabbit wrote:...

Yeah, apparently riders shouldn't attack going downhill only uphill... weird :confused:

They don't attack on the climbs, but they attack on the descents." -Froome
User avatar sacrifice&hardwork

16 Jul 2013 17:26

oldcrank wrote:Are you sure Froome is mad at Contador? Or was Chris just
correctly pointing out that Alberto's attack was perhaps not
tactically astute at that particular time on that particular
descent?

He did not point that out. He said that he himself might crash if Contador crashed.
fantomas

16 Jul 2013 17:29

wwabbit wrote:I followed that interview and the "mad" part was pretty much made up to stir things up. In the full context, Froome was simply describing the facts of the incident to the interviewers.

The man gives more than one interview post stage you know...
Le Baroudeur

16 Jul 2013 17:29

So Contador crashed. Careless and pretty much useless today on the descent. He was lucky Froome was behind him and had to go off road and then Richie pulled them back and that his bike was still in good shape. Problems with the knee. Tomorrow TT. Not looking good.
User avatar Rollthedice

16 Jul 2013 17:30

Le Baroudeur wrote:I have seen a fair few wolves in my time... But never one running down the road with lambs chasing him... :D

But I get what you mean... :)

i get exactly what you mean...if it is an alpha wolf. if the wolf is not the true leader of the pack, wellllllllllllll.....check out alberto, roman, and michael chasing froome down the road:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eBiPD2rZzow

:D
etymology

16 Jul 2013 17:34

airstream wrote:you are desperate in your Froome criticism
And you will express about him in a 'flattering' fashion no matter what he does... :)

i am not a froome-boy or whatever other-boy is out there. I am frank in criticizing ALL riders. Of course, i have my own list of preferred riders, like i prefer cav over other sprinters, like vino over other you-know-what.

boladelmundo wrote:Wow! I also like watching Bertie's racing but you, my friend, is taking it to another level with your analogy. :D

This is an AC discussion thread. (i am only guilty of paraphrasing from a para describing a martial arts match, though it suited AC's performance today but for that fall.)
murali

16 Jul 2013 17:35

Rollthedice wrote:So Contador crashed. Careless and pretty much useless today on the descent. He was lucky Froome was behind him and had to go off road and then Richie pulled them back and that his bike was still in good shape. Problems with the knee. Tomorrow TT. Not looking good.

Do you even know the reason to why he crashed?

16 Jul 2013 17:36

sacrifice&hardwork wrote:Yeah, apparently riders shouldn't attack going downhill only uphill... weird :confused:

don't you know that it is against rules to attack in descents! :D
murali

16 Jul 2013 17:41

sacrifice&hardwork wrote:Do you even know the reason to why he crashed?

No. "Careless" was a quote from Froome. Fact is he crashed and has an injured knee.
User avatar Rollthedice

16 Jul 2013 17:41

etymology wrote:i get exactly what you mean...if it is an alpha wolf. if the wolf is not the true leader of the pack, wellllllllllllll.....check out alberto, roman, and michael chasing froome down the road:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eBiPD2rZzow

:D

Brave sheep chashing away the Dawg :D
"The second place is not good."
The great Alberto Contador :p
User avatar LaFlorecita

16 Jul 2013 17:44

i don't think today's is about contador put a fear on froome. Well, contador is always froome's fear since the start of the TDF. The guy is freakin 4 minutes down, when he attacks, Froome still has to tell richie to tackle him. Isn't that supposed to be mollema's job to protect his only handfull of second?? Well at least, it shows that Froome learned his lesson the last time when saxo boxy ding his team, and lost 1 minute. Predicatively, froome will most likely gain another 2 minutes, tomorrow, and he is still afraid every time he sees contador up on the road. *worry for giving contador's his confidence to go postal*

so if contador decides to go postal, no one will want to be the stamp..:D :D
User avatar Jelantik

16 Jul 2013 17:54

Rollthedice wrote:No. "Careless" was a quote from Froome. Fact is he crashed and has an injured knee.

Well the things was that Contador decided what were his limits; he wanted to attack on the descent and he did. Froome chose to cover the attack, so he shouldn't even be complaining about what Contador did or didn't do. Froome put himself in that position, not Contador. And anyways, it's a bike race and people will attack.

PreviousNext

Return to Professional road racing