Log in:  

Register

Alberto Contador Discussion Thread

A place to discuss all things related to current professional road races. Here, you can also touch on the latest news relating to professional road racing. A doping discussion free forum.

01 May 2013 19:30

If the chain thing didn't happen, Alberto would have dropped him on Tourmalet.
Cancellara is like The Black Album. Really good but way overrated.
User avatar Netserk
Senior Member
 
Posts: 16,503
Joined: 30 Apr 2011 13:10
Location: Denmark

01 May 2013 19:39

webbie146 wrote:. Without the chain thing but with Andy still hypocriticaly screwing everyone on the cobbles Andy might have won.

Fixed it for you.
The Hitch: Winner 2013 Vuelta cq game. Winner, Velorooms prediction game 2012, 2013. 2nd all time cq rankings.
The Father of Clean Cycling, Christophe Bassons wrote:When I look at cycling today, I get the impression that history is repeating itself: riders who are supposed to be rouleurs are climbing passes at the front of the race, and those who are supposed to be climbers are riding time trials at more than 50 kilometres per hour.

The story is beginning again, just as it did 14 years ago


journalist with integrity.
User avatar The Hitch
Senior Member
 
Posts: 27,083
Joined: 14 Jun 2010 10:58
Location: London.

01 May 2013 19:47

Netserk wrote:If the chain thing didn't happen, Alberto would have dropped him on Tourmalet.


Haha you are joking right? Andy was doing all the work on that climb, and followed Contador with no problem when he attack. Andy was clearly stronger then Alberto. Only thing Alberto could do was hang on, no way he could ride away..
webbie146
Junior Member
 
Posts: 941
Joined: 17 Oct 2011 09:28

01 May 2013 20:44

webbie146 wrote:Haha you are joking right? Andy was doing all the work on that climb, and followed Contador with no problem when he attack. Andy was clearly stronger then Alberto. Only thing Alberto could do was hang on, no way he could ride away..


...or Contador was riding defensively needing only to follow Andy and after responding to his attacks decided to put one in of his own. I think it's difficult to say that either was stronger considering the circumstances. I don't recall seeing Contador in any difficulty in answering Andy's attacks and as you said Andy was able to cover Contador's lone attack. If one was clearly stronger there would've been an eventual gap that the other could not bridge. That did not happen.
"It's a little bit scarey when Contador attacks." Tommie Voeckler
User avatar Angliru
Senior Member
 
Posts: 6,016
Joined: 10 Mar 2009 13:30

01 May 2013 20:55

Angliru wrote:...or Contador was riding defensively needing only to follow Andy and after responding to his attacks decided to put one in of his own. I think it's difficult to say that either was stronger considering the circumstances. I don't recall seeing Contador in any difficulty in answering Andy's attacks and as you said Andy was able to cover Contador's lone attack. If one was clearly stronger there would've been an eventual gap that the other could not bridge. That did not happen.


Contador's attack wasn't to drop Andy. Only to send the message that he should stop attacking, so they could ride to the top together.
Cancellara is like The Black Album. Really good but way overrated.
User avatar Netserk
Senior Member
 
Posts: 16,503
Joined: 30 Apr 2011 13:10
Location: Denmark

02 May 2013 00:38

Netserk wrote:Contador's attack wasn't to drop Andy. Only to send the message that he should stop attacking, so they could ride to the top together.


EXACTLY...it was 'My Legs Are Good' posturing to demoralize Andy. To let him know he would never drop Alberto :)

Meanwhile, sure would like to see both of them riding like that again.....:(
Carol S.
~~~~
Alberto Contador: "And yes, it is true that for me it's the same to finish second or 10th."

Vincezo Nibali joins Anquetil, Gimondi, Merckx, Hinault and Contador as only the 6th winner of all 3 Grand Tours! Bravo Lo Squalo!
User avatar Carols
Senior Member
 
Posts: 4,712
Joined: 20 Mar 2010 15:20
Location: PA, USA

02 May 2013 01:14

webbie146 wrote:That, and Andy was stronger in 2010. Without the chain thing Andy would had won anyways.

Incorrect. Andy ended up losing just as much time on the final ITT as he did during chaingate.
rzombie1988
Junior Member
 
Posts: 356
Joined: 19 Jul 2009 16:41

02 May 2013 02:17

Netserk wrote:Contador's attack wasn't to drop Andy. Only to send the message that he should stop attacking, so they could ride to the top together.


Andy was very strong those days, he did a powerful ITT with headwind in Bourdeux.
Contador was behind Andy and try to leave him once in Tourmalet, but he didnt.
User avatar Taxus4a
Senior Member
 
Posts: 2,318
Joined: 12 Aug 2012 18:48
Location: Castilla

02 May 2013 06:46

rzombie1988 wrote:Incorrect. Andy ended up losing just as much time on the final ITT as he did during chaingate.


Andy Schleck was 31" ahead of Contador before chaingate where he lost 39", so he ended up 8" behind.
He then lost 31" in the ITT, for a final time of 39" behind.

So without chaingate they would have been within a second... someone would have to look at the fractions to determine who would have won.
User avatar wwabbit
Junior Member
 
Posts: 994
Joined: 29 Aug 2012 13:38

02 May 2013 07:01

Taxus4a wrote:Andy was very strong those days, he did a powerful ITT with headwind in Bourdeux.
Contador was behind Andy and try to leave him once in Tourmalet, but he didnt.


Andy did an average ITT. It just that Contador's ITT was trash.
thehog wrote:JV if you truly wish to save cycling.

Do something.

You know it's not real.

Your Garmin guys are getting killed.
User avatar Miburo
Senior Member
 
Posts: 6,983
Joined: 29 Jul 2012 19:33

02 May 2013 10:28

webbie146 wrote:That, and Andy was stronger in 2010. Without the chain thing Andy would had won anyways.


And what about the 2 flat tires from Contador in the Roubaix stage?
User avatar Ruudz0r
Senior Member
 
Posts: 2,073
Joined: 09 Jun 2011 17:31
Location: The Netherlands

02 May 2013 10:58

Miburo wrote:Andy did an average ITT. It just that Contador's ITT was trash.


Who cares how they looked compared to their best perfomances? 100000%, when Contador or anyone else won some of his TT's, some favorites did 'trash' too and what?

They rode as they could. That's all that matters.
User avatar airstream
Senior Member
 
Posts: 4,283
Joined: 29 Mar 2011 18:32
Location: Minsk

02 May 2013 11:47

Ruudz0r wrote:And what about the 2 flat tires from Contador in the Roubaix stage?


I don't think they were flats. His rear wheel was damaged when Frank Schleck crashed out resulting in Contador having to ride with a warped rear wheel with the tire rubbing against the frame.
"It's a little bit scarey when Contador attacks." Tommie Voeckler
User avatar Angliru
Senior Member
 
Posts: 6,016
Joined: 10 Mar 2009 13:30

02 May 2013 12:02

Angliru wrote:I don't think they were flats. His rear wheel was damaged when Frank Schleck crashed out resulting in Contador having to ride with a warped rear wheel with the tire rubbing against the frame.


Point still stads though. Andy lost time due to a mechanical, so did Bertie.
User avatar Cimber
Senior Member
 
Posts: 3,868
Joined: 03 Jan 2011 08:55

02 May 2013 12:11

Cimber wrote:Point still stads though. Andy lost time due to a mechanical, so did Bertie.


Guess it depends how you define mechanical :D I don't consider mis-shifting to be a mechanical; instead it is rider error.
Carol S.
~~~~
Alberto Contador: "And yes, it is true that for me it's the same to finish second or 10th."

Vincezo Nibali joins Anquetil, Gimondi, Merckx, Hinault and Contador as only the 6th winner of all 3 Grand Tours! Bravo Lo Squalo!
User avatar Carols
Senior Member
 
Posts: 4,712
Joined: 20 Mar 2010 15:20
Location: PA, USA

02 May 2013 12:22

airstream wrote:Who cares how they looked compared to their best perfomances? 100000%, when Contador or anyone else won some of his TT's, some favorites did 'trash' too and what?

They rode as they could. That's all that matters.


Ever heard of a bad day? :rolleyes: Legs not rolling no matter how fresh you feel. To set up a common parameter for 2 athletes after 3 weeks of battle and then compare their results just shows a huge amount of ignorance to the sport.

You know air, just course you dont like the guy, doesnt change the dynamic of the sport try stay objective, otherwise you continue to embarrass your self.
User avatar xrayvision
Junior Member
 
Posts: 640
Joined: 15 Jan 2013 20:33

02 May 2013 12:55

Carols wrote:Guess it depends how you define mechanical :D I don't consider mis-shifting to be a mechanical; instead it is rider error.

This. Andy didn't have any bad luck during that Tour. It was the opposite.

Very lucky that Fabian neutralized the Spa stage.

Very lucky in the cobbles stage.

Poor shifting skills in the Bales stage.

...

Andy was lucky to end up so close to Contador. Yet he still lost.
Cancellara is like The Black Album. Really good but way overrated.
User avatar Netserk
Senior Member
 
Posts: 16,503
Joined: 30 Apr 2011 13:10
Location: Denmark

02 May 2013 13:11

Netserk wrote:This. Andy didn't have any bad luck during that Tour. It was the opposite.

Very lucky that Fabian neutralized the Spa stage.

Very lucky in the cobbles stage.

Poor shifting skills in the Bales stage.

...

Andy was lucky to end up so close to Contador. Yet he still lost.

And even more than all this, Andy became the winner thanks to Contador's misfortune.
What a lucky brat he is.
User avatar serfla
Junior Member
 
Posts: 728
Joined: 12 Nov 2012 13:54

02 May 2013 13:34

Netserk wrote:On Tourmalet the victory was already a sure thing.

In hindsight it was not that sure a thing.
User avatar Don't be late Pedro
Senior Member
 
Posts: 2,443
Joined: 13 Aug 2010 08:51

02 May 2013 13:36

Alberto, Jesus and Sergio all training by the Lugano lake

https://twitter.com/albertocontador/status/329950557269790720/photo/1
User avatar BRCYC11
Junior Member
 
Posts: 52
Joined: 20 Sep 2011 10:23

PreviousNext

Return to Professional road racing

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Google [Bot], Google Adsense [Bot], MatParker117, stefank and 26 guests

Back to top