Register

Alberto Contador Discussion Thread

A place to discuss all things related to current professional road races. Here, you can also touch on the latest news relating to professional road racing. A doping discussion free forum.

14 May 2013 15:52

Miburo wrote:Jumping on an early bandwagon ;)

I will be the first Majka fangirl ever:D
"The second place is not good."
The great Alberto Contador :p
User avatar LaFlorecita

14 May 2013 17:02

Who wants to ride ride with Alberto? Well, for the people living in Italy, and in the area, at least... :)

"Two days of awesome cycling up two mountain passes that have become international cycling icons: the Gavia Pass and the Mortirolo Pass... and Alberto Contador." Presented by zerorh+

Their "website" for the event: Rhxdue Contador on FB
User avatar sacrifice&hardwork

14 May 2013 17:19

For a moment i was worried, then i saw this is after the tour so it won't mess his training.

Considering the dates tho, i guess the vuelta is pretty much ruled out :o
User avatar Parrulo

14 May 2013 17:37

LaFlorecita wrote:No

I have decided Majka will be my favorite rider when Alberto retires:eek::D:)

He is riding like a beast! Hope Saxo takes home the White :) Shame he isn't riding Le Tour.

This kid will indeed be useful for Alberto in the future though and appears to have a great career in front of him!
Carol S.
~~~~
Alberto Contador: "And yes, it is true that for me it's the same to finish second or 10th."

Vincezo Nibali joins Anquetil, Gimondi, Merckx, Hinault and Contador as only the 6th winner of all 3 Grand Tours! Bravo Lo Squalo!
Carols

14 May 2013 17:41

Parrulo wrote:For a moment i was worried, then i saw this is after the tour so it won't mess his training.

Considering the dates tho, i guess the vuelta is pretty much ruled out :o

That depends on his result in the tour.

If he only podiums it he might do the vuelta. If he wins it i doubt he'll do anything after le tour.
thehog wrote:JV if you truly wish to save cycling.

Do something.

You know it's not real.

Your Garmin guys are getting killed.
User avatar Miburo

14 May 2013 18:37

If interested, heres an interview with Majka from yesterday.

In sight, he also today stated to danish TV his form is up going and so far nothing have been hard for him, he expects to be stronger and do better the last 2 weeks.

Interview

Rafał Majka and the Giro
Rafał Majka seems to be one of the biggest revelations of this year's Giro d'Italia. Polish rider, who was chosen to lead Bjarne Riis' Team Saxo-Tinkoff despite early season troubles with the knee, is now showing that the decision was right and that, despite his age, he's capable of leading the squad and fighting with the best riders in the world.

Majka has already showed his abilities during 2012 Vuelta a Espana where he worked for his team leader Alberto Contador. In fact, he had been scheduled to ride Giro d'Italia 2012 and lead the team but the same knee injury excluded him from racing for a couple of months.

The return after the contusion was not so certain and simple as it may seem. Majka started racing in Catalunya - after a month of dealing with knee injury that renewed on February. He resumed trainings on March 10th, rode Catalunya and trained on the altitude for the first two weeks of April. The last check before Giro was Tour de Romandie where he went to train and get used to racing rhythm. He abandoned during stage 4 due to bad weather conditions.

Heading to Naples to start the Giro, he only had 12 racing days in his legs. Majka declared that a couple of days will be needed to let him get into the best shape. He is now back in action and is performing well, giving Riis reasons to fell that sigining him for the next three years after last year's Vuelta was a smart and well-considered idea.

It has been a good week for Majka so far. Young Pole stayed away from troubles on tricky descents and wet corners, following the GC contenders easily on every ascent - in sunshine and in the rain. The problems emerged however on the descents - rider from Zegartowice isn't taking much risk and chooses not to follow over certain speed. That costed him 34 seconds on a crazy stage to Marina di Ascea.

First week was really nervous. I had to be at the front all the time because things were changing very quickly - Majka told rowery.org during the first rest day. - There have been a lot of crashes, the weather was simply awful. All that makes me a little tired after the first week.

23-year-old rider marks his debut as a team leader in a Grand Tour with Team Saxo-Tinkoff. It's been only a week and young rider managed to repeat the achievement of Joachim Halupczok - the first Polish rider to wear maglia bianca (1990). Today, after the first real mountain stage, is showing his potential, finishing 6th on the final climb of the day and climbing to 10th place in the general classification. - I'm happy to wear the white jersey. I think I can take it again later in the race - Majka declared yesterday. Today he's smiling on the podium and wearing best young rider jersey.

Majka is also happy to have the time trial behind him. 54.8 km technical route never seemed to suit him and his time trialling skills. As a pure climber, Majka admits that the fight against the clock is not really his thing. That also changes, however.

- I've never ridden such a long time trial. It was really exhausting - especially last 15 km where I had to push really hard. It wasn't a bad performance, I'm satisfied with it. I lost a little time in the first technical part and on the descent but considering the length of the course - the result seems to be good.

Majka finished 31th, losing 3:27 to victorious Alex Dowsett of Movistar. This only indicates the progress he has made - a year ago such a result wouldn't be possible. Before today's stage Rafał was sitting 16th overall and looking forward to improving his situation. When I asked him what are his expectations and what is he planning to do, he replied:

- I don't know, honestly. It's been a good race for me so far, I can fight for the general classification. I've nevr done such a big race riding for myself, so I have no idea how my body will react to such an effort. But it's going to be ok, my shape is getting better and better.

Saxo-Tinkoff's DS Dan Frost says that the time for Rafał comes in the third week, when the real mountains start and where every rider will struggle to survive. But this is Giro, you can never tell what happens next. Time will tell.
User avatar xrayvision

14 May 2013 18:39

LaFlorecita wrote:I will be the first Majka fangirl ever:D

I think his wife beat you to it Laflo ;)
User avatar xrayvision

14 May 2013 18:53

xrayvision wrote:...Interview

The point with feeling stronger every day might be true. But I fear that a young rider like him won't be consistent over 3 weeks. I expect him to have a bad day...how bad remains to be seen. White jersey is possible...main contender will be Betancur of course.
User avatar JimPanzen

14 May 2013 19:21

xrayvision wrote:I think his wife beat you to it Laflo ;)

He is married? :eek:
User avatar LaFlorecita

14 May 2013 20:22

Thanks for posting xrayvision. Majka impressed me today, he looked very good out there. Nice to see him finally making good on his potential, been waiting a while for him to do so.

By the way, when did this turn into the Majka thread? :p
Be the Goat

Fabio Aru: "si muore sulla bici"
User avatar Afrank

14 May 2013 20:40

Majka needs a nickname imo, and it'd better be a good one:cool:
Let us remember what happened on March 16th, 2014

The Hitch wrote:Red Rick. Road Race forum MVP 2014.

The Hitch wrote:#RedRick4RCSRaceDirector.
Red Rick

14 May 2013 22:01

Red Rick wrote:Majka needs a nickname imo, and it'd better be a good one:cool:

Too soon for a nickname. Let's see how he handles the rest of the Giro. Still very early and he's never really been in this position before.
"The truth is when I race, it's 100% me" Alberto Contador

"I have no intention of being a conformist in this race. Not in the slightest" Alberto Contador

"We should all have more cake. Who doesn’t like cake?" Oleg Tinkov
User avatar Publicus

14 May 2013 22:50

Majka put in an insane performance today and Contador hasnt tweeted about it:eek:

Hopefully means hes hard at work, getting ready.
The Hitch: Winner 2013 Vuelta cq game. Winner, Velorooms prediction game 2012, 2013. 2nd all time cq rankings.
The Father of Clean Cycling, Christophe Bassons wrote:When I look at cycling today, I get the impression that history is repeating itself: riders who are supposed to be rouleurs are climbing passes at the front of the race, and those who are supposed to be climbers are riding time trials at more than 50 kilometres per hour.

The story is beginning again, just as it did 14 years ago

journalist with integrity.
User avatar The Hitch

15 May 2013 05:15

LaFlorecita wrote:He is married? :eek:

He got a kid to.

#giro Majka on today's stage and last climb: "it seemed endless but it wasn't hard for me". white jersey and top10 GC? "I'll keep it".

EDIT. It seems I am mistaken Laflo, its his girlfriend and not his wife, they are not married. My mistake, I just read somewhere he had a wife and a kid a little while back in a polish forum, but it seems not to be the case, so you can love him again.
But a girlfriend he has.

Sorry for the confusion.
User avatar xrayvision

15 May 2013 05:20

xrayvision wrote:He got a kid to.

What? Oh no that broke my heart :o
User avatar LaFlorecita

15 May 2013 13:25

xrayvision wrote:He got a kid to.

#giro Majka on today's stage and last climb: "it seemed endless but it wasn't hard for me". white jersey and top10 GC? "I'll keep it".

I like his confidence. :D
"The truth is when I race, it's 100% me" Alberto Contador

"I have no intention of being a conformist in this race. Not in the slightest" Alberto Contador

"We should all have more cake. Who doesn’t like cake?" Oleg Tinkov
User avatar Publicus

15 May 2013 13:29

Got a link to the source of the interview?
Cancellara is like The Black Album. Really good but way overrated.
User avatar Netserk

15 May 2013 17:00

Netserk wrote:Got a link to the source of the interview?

sure.

http://justcycling.blogspot.dk/2013/05/giro-2013-rafa-majka-history.html
User avatar xrayvision

15 May 2013 20:44

The beast.

Btw Majka should have his own thread and not be discussed in the Bertie thread tbh
User avatar Cimber

15 May 2013 21:45

Actually, his family name is funny enough. It means 'mother' in several slavic languages, so no need for a nickname.

Mother Rafal :D
Pandora

PreviousNext

Return to Professional road racing