Log in:  

Register

Alberto Contador Discussion Thread

A place to discuss all things related to current professional road races. Here, you can also touch on the latest news relating to professional road racing. A doping discussion free forum.

04 Jun 2013 18:57

Cimber wrote:I am very sorry but I trust the word of the DS over yours. No disrespect. HE had already trained in **** weather before TA, but the TA weather on stage 6 might have made it much worse of course.


I'm sorry, no disrespect, but it would be very strange if he was ill during TA, and got several days of high fever several days after TA. That is like a week in between. That is really weird.

And what did his ds really say? That he was ill during TA, or that he got ill during TA? There is a big difference.
"The second place is not good."
The great Alberto Contador :p
User avatar LaFlorecita
Senior Member
 
Posts: 21,149
Joined: 15 May 2011 09:53
Location: Utrecht, The Netherlands

04 Jun 2013 18:59

Cimber wrote:Its not the end of the world that he might not be a great team organiser, as long as his lieutenants are and as long as he trusts them 100%.


But if his lieutenants can't keep him safe, he shouldn't trust them and should take matters into his own hands.
"The second place is not good."
The great Alberto Contador :p
User avatar LaFlorecita
Senior Member
 
Posts: 21,149
Joined: 15 May 2011 09:53
Location: Utrecht, The Netherlands

04 Jun 2013 19:03

LaFlorecita wrote:I think it is stupid to conclude Alberto is not a good captain based on one statement of one rider about another.

Also, I much prefer Alberto riding alone in the front of the peloton than him riding behind his teammates at an unsafe spot.


I didn't said I made my conclusions based on one fact, but on facts. Neither did I claim he isn't a good team captain (of course he will be the team captain). What I did say was that he might not be the best team organiser and that it probably feels natural for him to flicker around by himself.

Facts:

1) We have seen countless times where Contador is alone. One second he might be on the wheel of a team mate, the next second he is alone on the other side of the peloton, 1 minute later he is alone on the other side in the wind (this happens in most races and in all terrain)

2) in ToC the team was always around Rogers and he was praised by his team mate for his ability to organise his team.

3) the DS stated that part of the goal for Dauphine is to get the organisation and communication sorted (meaning it hasn't been so far)

Of course your are free to draw your own conclusions based on those facts. I drew mine.
User avatar Cimber
Senior Member
 
Posts: 3,868
Joined: 03 Jan 2011 08:55

04 Jun 2013 19:04

LaFlorecita wrote:But if his lieutenants can't keep him safe, he shouldn't trust them and should take matters into his own hands.


They aren't gonna be able to keep him safe if he flickers around all the time.
User avatar Cimber
Senior Member
 
Posts: 3,868
Joined: 03 Jan 2011 08:55

04 Jun 2013 19:08

LaFlorecita wrote:I'm sorry, no disrespect, but it would be very strange if he was ill during TA, and got several days of high fever several days after TA. That is like a week in between. That is really weird.

And what did his ds really say? That he was ill during TA, or that he got ill during TA? There is a big difference.


He got ill during TA. Meaning he wasn't sick during all of the race, but probably just the last stage(s), and it might have build up slowly and then accelerated after that stage with bad weather. But that's only speculation. Accoding to the DS he got sick during the race, i.e. he probably wasn't 100% during all the stages.
User avatar Cimber
Senior Member
 
Posts: 3,868
Joined: 03 Jan 2011 08:55

04 Jun 2013 19:11

Cimber wrote:I didn't said I made my conclusions based on one fact, but on facts. Neither did I claim he isn't a good team captain (of course he will be the team captain). What I did say was that he might not be the best team organiser and that it probably feels natural for him to flicker around by himself.

Facts:

1) We have seen countless times where Contador is alone. One second he might be on the wheel of a team mate, the next second he is alone on the other side of the peloton, 1 minute later he is alone on the other side in the wind (this happens in most races and in all terrain)

2) in ToC the team was always around Rogers and he was praised by his team mate for his ability to organise his team.

3) the DS stated that part of the goal for Dauphine is to get the organisation and communication sorted (meaning it hasn't been so far)

Of course your are free to draw your own conclusions based on those facts. I drew mine.


Imo you are reading way too much into it. oh well.
"The second place is not good."
The great Alberto Contador :p
User avatar LaFlorecita
Senior Member
 
Posts: 21,149
Joined: 15 May 2011 09:53
Location: Utrecht, The Netherlands

04 Jun 2013 19:12

Cimber wrote:They aren't gonna be able to keep him safe if he flickers around all the time.


He is gonna flicker around when his teammates don't protect him. It works both ways.
"The second place is not good."
The great Alberto Contador :p
User avatar LaFlorecita
Senior Member
 
Posts: 21,149
Joined: 15 May 2011 09:53
Location: Utrecht, The Netherlands

04 Jun 2013 19:14

Cimber wrote:He got ill during TA. Meaning he wasn't sick during all of the race, but probably just the last stage(s), and it might have build up slowly and then accelerated after that stage with bad weather. But that's only speculation. Accoding to the DS he got sick during the race, i.e. he probably wasn't 100% during all the stages.


He got ill during the race which means the virus entered his body during the race. The virus needed to multiply to cause symptoms. Which takes about 3 days. Illness is not an excuse for his ****ty performance. In Pais Vasco maybe, but not in TA. I'm sorry.
"The second place is not good."
The great Alberto Contador :p
User avatar LaFlorecita
Senior Member
 
Posts: 21,149
Joined: 15 May 2011 09:53
Location: Utrecht, The Netherlands

04 Jun 2013 20:32

LaFlorecita wrote:He got ill during the race which means the virus entered his body during the race. The virus needed to multiply to cause symptoms. Which takes about 3 days. Illness is not an excuse for his ****ty performance. In Pais Vasco maybe, but not in TA. I'm sorry.

You are aware that he'd won if he had/could follow(ed) Nibali on stage 6, right?
Cancellara is like The Black Album. Really good but way overrated.
User avatar Netserk
Senior Member
 
Posts: 16,450
Joined: 30 Apr 2011 13:10
Location: Denmark

04 Jun 2013 20:40

Netserk wrote:You are aware that he'd won if he had/could follow(ed) Nibali on stage 6, right?


Not true. He was st with Nibali before that stage and he lost time to him in the tt
"The second place is not good."
The great Alberto Contador :p
User avatar LaFlorecita
Senior Member
 
Posts: 21,149
Joined: 15 May 2011 09:53
Location: Utrecht, The Netherlands

04 Jun 2013 20:47

LaFlorecita wrote:Not true. He was st with Nibali before that stage and he lost time to him in the tt

You're right I misremembered. My point was that if he was affected my illness on that stage (and therefore also in the ITT), he'd be able to do much better if he wasn't sick. Perhaps well enough to win.
Cancellara is like The Black Album. Really good but way overrated.
User avatar Netserk
Senior Member
 
Posts: 16,450
Joined: 30 Apr 2011 13:10
Location: Denmark

04 Jun 2013 21:21

LaFlorecita wrote:He got ill during the race which means the virus entered his body during the race. The virus needed to multiply to cause symptoms. Which takes about 3 days. Illness is not an excuse for his ****ty performance. In Pais Vasco maybe, but not in TA. I'm sorry.


How the hell would the DS know when a virus entered his body? When the DS said hé got sick it is cos they found out hé didnt feel stellar
User avatar Cimber
Senior Member
 
Posts: 3,868
Joined: 03 Jan 2011 08:55

04 Jun 2013 21:24

LaFlorecita wrote:Imo you are reading way too much into it. oh well.


Imo u refuse to see the pattern. But its up to you. But I will never get you. On one hand you say "Who am I to criticize his decisions", but on the other hand you dont miss a chance to bash him when hé doesnt win
User avatar Cimber
Senior Member
 
Posts: 3,868
Joined: 03 Jan 2011 08:55

04 Jun 2013 21:29

LaFlorecita wrote:He is gonna flicker around when his teammates don't protect him. It works both ways.


Chicken and the egg discussion. But funny that hé does it regardless of who the teammate happens to be. Personally, I just think that way of flickering just comes natural to him by insticnt
User avatar Cimber
Senior Member
 
Posts: 3,868
Joined: 03 Jan 2011 08:55

05 Jun 2013 00:17

Cimber wrote:Chicken and the egg discussion. But funny that hé does it regardless of who the teammate happens to be. Personally, I just think that way of flickering just comes natural to him by insticnt


You certainly have some valid points, Climver. The problem with guys like Contador is that they just don't get that. He is a class above the others, has a different mentality, his own style of riding and is used to take matters into his own hands (if something apparently doesn't work out) and last but not least: more often than not he will not be corrected, if he makes a mistake or should do something in a different manner...

I once read a piece by Karsten Kroon, which also points that out.

Contador is a Phenomenon (February 2012, automatic translation)

It is the sixth day of the first training camp of the team on Gran Canaria. Where the name comes from is a mystery to me, there is to see, let alone a large no canary. Our hotel is on the south west side of the island and everyone who has ever been there knows that it is not easy to ride, here it is not just meters. The hard training days starting to bite and after an hour or three we descend the Alto Qut the direction of Arguineguin. Alberto Contador smoothly in the lead, confident he slaloms down. It is the first time I'm close him on training and it is undeniable, he's a phenomenon. If you like simple mortal uphill is waiving and you ride behind him, you can not help but be jealous, he effortlessly turns the pedals around. I've been watching a good look but I can not lay my finger. Long legs, narrow ****, narrow shoulders, short arms, extremely aerodynamic, head slightly tilted, perfectly straight trailing knees, he smoothly switches gears heavy with light off.

At the end of the valley towards the sea are decreasing the time trial bikes waiting for us. Anyone know what the intention is, switch the bike, the group divided into three groups of seven and driving range. Medium is called. Bjarne used that bandied about, no one knows exactly what is meant by it but for me is always hard. Then afterwards said, "This was perfect guys, this was a medium high!" Mother****ers. We drive the 12 km long valley three times up and down, false flat uphill "medium" and then back bulbs quiet. I'm with Alberto in the group and as wily Dutchman I snuggle behind the largest and thickest of our group, Benjamin Noval. There is no question of a beautiful range, Alberto is driving too fast. Every time he comes to the head he pulls through and he continues to drive until he looks back puzzled. I'm ****ed at him once, but he really does not understand. I do not think it's up to me to correct him, so I let it go.

The last time we leave without Alberto, he started half a minute behind us. We drive well but soon he comes flying past us, he drives at least 10 km / h faster than us. In no time he was out of sight. May I have to point out that it is a climber? A guy that weighs only 63 pounds!

I've had the pleasure to ride with men like Denis Menchov, Andy Schleck and Cadel Evans, but sorry guys, this guy is a class better.
Nilsson
Junior Member
 
Posts: 361
Joined: 10 Jan 2012 19:08

05 Jun 2013 04:52

Thanks for sharing this Nilsson, it's always great to read stories like that.
thehog wrote:JV if you truly wish to save cycling.

Do something.

You know it's not real.

Your Garmin guys are getting killed.
User avatar Miburo
Senior Member
 
Posts: 6,912
Joined: 29 Jul 2012 19:33

05 Jun 2013 05:21

Nilsson wrote:You certainly have some valid points, Climver. The problem with guys like Contador is that they just don't get that. He is a class above the others, has a different mentality, his own style of riding and is used to take matters into his own hands (if something apparently doesn't work out) and last but not least: more often than not he will not be corrected, if he makes a mistake or should do something in a different manner...

I once read a piece by Karsten Kroon, which also points that out.


thanks for that piece from Karsten Kroon! Beautiful imagery.
User avatar contessador
Junior Member
 
Posts: 175
Joined: 04 May 2013 01:56

05 Jun 2013 05:34

this guy is a class better.

check it out today
User avatar airstream
Senior Member
 
Posts: 4,283
Joined: 29 Mar 2011 18:32
Location: Minsk

05 Jun 2013 05:45

airstream wrote:check it out today


Oh boy, you truly don´t understand shyt about cycling, and that you lose all kind of objectivity due to your hate for the guy is just pathetic, and yet hilarious.
User avatar xrayvision
Junior Member
 
Posts: 640
Joined: 15 Jan 2013 20:33

05 Jun 2013 05:49

airstream wrote:check it out today


Prep race is prep race and even in the Tour I dont think many Will expect him to beat Froome in the TTs. Just to limit his losses
User avatar Cimber
Senior Member
 
Posts: 3,868
Joined: 03 Jan 2011 08:55

PreviousNext

Return to Professional road racing

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: argyllflyer, Axis, Boardslide, dacooley, Marco Pantani, Paintingletour, vedrafjord, wwabbit and 74 guests

Back to top