Register

Alberto Contador Discussion Thread

A place to discuss all things related to current professional road races. Here, you can also touch on the latest news relating to professional road racing. A doping discussion free forum.

06 Jun 2013 20:15

LaFlorecita wrote:Berto will always finish on the podium bar crashes, because he's very consistent. Consistently second best climber will earn him a podium spot

Do you know more about the spanish championships?

I actually disagree. Since 2nd means nothing for him he would rather risk it all on a gutsy early attack (alá Fuente Dé) and end up losing 30 mins than not have done everything possible
User avatar Cimber

06 Jun 2013 20:19

Cimber wrote:I actually disagree. Since 2nd means nothing for him he would rather risk it all on a gutsy early attack (alá Fuente Dé) and end up losing 30 mins than not have done everything possible

fair enough, I agree, but people act as if he's not good enough to finish podium.
"The second place is not good."
The great Alberto Contador :p
User avatar LaFlorecita

06 Jun 2013 21:20

I'm not sure what to think after today's stage and yesterday's tt.
It's obvious Contador isn't off form, only Froome was stronger than him today, but he's missing something. And it's not negligible.
ShiPuRacKu

06 Jun 2013 22:12

airstream wrote:Belief costs this sum of money. That's probably more profitable than betting on Froome at 1.4 to 1 or something like that.

"probably?"

BTW It's only profitable if it wins
The Eggman

06 Jun 2013 22:14

ILovecycling wrote:Yea,odds were great,at 3.9 to 1.:D

[SIZE="1"]Stupid bookmakers[/SIZE]:rolleyes:

Could have done way better than 3.90. Get on Betfair
The Eggman

06 Jun 2013 22:20

ShiPuRacKu wrote:I'm not sure what to think after today's stage and yesterday's tt.
It's obvious Contador isn't off form, only Froome was stronger than him today, but he's missing something. And it's not negligible.

He's missing that last few percent of form that takes him to the next level....he has a few weeks to find it
I'm in shape...Round is a shape
Unashamed Contador Fanboy

http://www.justcycling.myfastforum.org
User avatar Siriuscat

06 Jun 2013 22:37

LaFlorecita wrote:The result wasn't similar. Alberto finished in front of Rogers.

Are you having me on?
7 second is a similar result, 0 second is equal result.
One minute is a differente result

More tha one minute yesterday in the ITT is different result
User avatar Taxus4a

06 Jun 2013 22:40

Siriuscat wrote:He's missing that last few percent of form that takes him to the next level....he has a few weeks to find it

Yes, he should get to the next level, but won't with just few percent. We're talking about minutes in the tt. And I'm not buying the allergy story.
ShiPuRacKu

06 Jun 2013 22:57

Looking at photos from the stage, it seems to me that AC still has some weight to lose. He's not nearly as lean as I thought (or maybe it is just in comparison to Froome). Also, looking at these photos of Froome crossing the line, he reminds me of the Chicken (MR).

http://www.steephill.tv/2013/criterium-du-dauphine-libere/photos/stage-05/
"The truth is when I race, it's 100% me" Alberto Contador

"I have no intention of being a conformist in this race. Not in the slightest" Alberto Contador

"We should all have more cake. Who doesn’t like cake?" Oleg Tinkov
User avatar Publicus

06 Jun 2013 23:30

Froom is not giving up that yellow jersey any time soon :cool: mighty fine.

Contador? I don't really see him as fat but if you say so.
User avatar contessador

06 Jun 2013 23:57

contessador wrote:Froom is not giving up that yellow jersey any time soon :cool: mighty fine.

Contador? I don't really see him as fat but if you say so.

I think he still has to lose some fat and will do so in the coming weeks. In last years Vuelta he was leaner (maybe a bit too, though). He still has some time to tweak the last percentages, so it's not completely hopeless.

I would dare to draw a comparison with 2007, where he also wasn't great in the Dauphiné. He lost over 3 minutes in the TT as well, and seemed worse in the mountains than he does now.
Nilsson

07 Jun 2013 00:15

Nilsson wrote:I think he still has to lose some fat and will do so in the coming weeks. In last years Vuelta he was leaner (maybe a bit too, though). He still has some time to tweak the last percentages, so it's not completely hopeless.

I would dare to draw a comparison with 2007, where he also wasn't great in the Dauphiné. He lost over 3 minutes in the TT as well, and seemed worse in the mountains than he does now.

i wonder how he made such a big improvement in the tour that year?
willbick

07 Jun 2013 00:19

willbick wrote:i wonder how he made such a big improvement in the tour that year?

Probably the same way Froome went from being pack fodder to superstar. Just trained harder.
User avatar Moose McKnuckles

07 Jun 2013 00:44

LaFlorecita wrote:
Do you know more about the spanish championships?

It is not so hard as seems in a glance, but it is enough hard for him...but Valverde and Purito will be as well
User avatar Taxus4a

07 Jun 2013 01:50

Moose McKnuckles wrote:Probably the same way Froome went from being pack fodder to superstar. Just trained harder.

With that difference that Contador already had won a lot of races and showed great promise in both climbing and Time Trialing (from the first day he entered the peloton). Due to circumstances it was only his second GT, although only 24 years of age, but the characteristics have clearly always been there.
Nilsson

07 Jun 2013 02:23

Nilsson wrote:With that difference that Contador already had won a lot of races and showed great promise in both climbing and Time Trialing (from the first day he entered the peloton). Due to circumstances it was only his second GT, although only 24 years of age, but the characteristics have clearly always been there.

Don't forget his appetite for steak. ;)
User avatar Moviefan1203

07 Jun 2013 02:23

Siriuscat wrote:He's missing that last few percent of form that takes him to the next level....he has a few weeks to find it

What strikes me is the way he's seemed to miss those few procent all year. Every rider prepares for goals in different ways, sure, but it is striking that Contador seems to have almost the same racing schedule as he did before his ban (which makes me conclude that his training schedule is also largely similar), and yet seems to lack strength in almost every race compared to past efforts. In the past he was always, almost without exception, a force to be reckoned with no matter the race, and this year he's beeing left in the dust by riders who are by no means considered major contenders for the Tour. This, of course, wasn't the case in yesterdays stage.

He has always prepared for a specific goal, and in a rather focused way, whether it was the Giro or Tour de France, but he has never been one to pass on quite a few victories during his preparations. It's not that he hasn't tried to snatch a few during this season, but he's been thoroughly unable to bring it home.

All questions will be answered in a good months time in any case, which I'm looking very much forward to. But if we take this season into consideration as an indicator of what will happen in July, then the famous few procent that Contador is missing isn't a question of building up form, but a general decrease in ability since his ban, as it would be fair to suspect that Contador isn't the only favorite for the tour that hasn't peaked yet...
BabylonFell

07 Jun 2013 02:56

http://www.cyclingnews.com/news/contador-im-where-i-want-to-be

Anything is possible and writing off Contador at this stage, as every one of his rivals makes clear, is a foolish move. Finally, he's asked what it would mean to win his first Tour de France since 2009, or is it 2010?

"It was 2010, of course. For me this Tour is 100 per cent mine. It might not say so in the books but what's more important to me is how I feel about it, and how others close to me feel about it."
User avatar pdluz7

07 Jun 2013 03:58

BabylonFell wrote:What strikes me is the way he's seemed to miss those few procent all year. Every rider prepares for goals in different ways, sure, but it is striking that Contador seems to have almost the same racing schedule as he did before his ban (which makes me conclude that his training schedule is also largely similar), and yet seems to lack strength in almost every race compared to past efforts. In the past he was always, almost without exception, a force to be reckoned with no matter the race, and this year he's beeing left in the dust by riders who are by no means considered major contenders for the Tour. This, of course, wasn't the case in yesterdays stage.

He has always prepared for a specific goal, and in a rather focused way, whether it was the Giro or Tour de France, but he has never been one to pass on quite a few victories during his preparations. It's not that he hasn't tried to snatch a few during this season, but he's been thoroughly unable to bring it home.

maybe it got something to do with the arrival of De Jong and Rogers from sky. There's gotta be. I would be shocked if saxo didn't hire them with the mind of getting to know the new method. In the 6 months of Contador's band, sky revolution of training method started to show how the new matra of racing with number can have a great effect. Contador certainly can't just race like the way he used to be. The game is changing now. Everyone got their number based on what their genetics. Maybe now, saxo started looking up more closely of data than it used to be and try to apply different method. Watch rogers movie in saxobank cycling page. http://www.saxobank.com/cycling/. He talked about how if you can squezze 0.5 % or 1 more percent and the next thing you know 1% here, 1% there.. you ended getting more than just 1%.

Contador moved to Lugano also probably part of the reason of the training changes. He said that he can train with more of his teammate (got more motivation) under the direct guidance of Bjarne (Bjarne lives in Lugano). Kerrison in one of his interview said that sky is the only team who offer "one on one" coach to rider ratio. He was surprised that most team let their rider train at their own device. We are all know, sky practically lives in Tenerife. Anyway just offering some observation..
User avatar Jelantik

07 Jun 2013 04:15

Jelantik wrote:maybe it got something to do with the arrival of De Jong and Rogers from sky. There's gotta be. I would be shocked if saxo didn't hire them with the mind of getting to know the new method. In the 6 months of Contador's band, sky revolution of training method started to show how the new matra of racing with number can have a great effect. Contador certainly can't just race like the way he used to be. The game is changing now. Everyone got their number based on what their genetics. Maybe now, saxo started looking up more closely of data than it used to be and try to apply different method. Watch rogers movie in saxobank cycling page. http://www.saxobank.com/cycling/. He talked about how if you can squezze 0.5 % or 1 more percent and the next thing you know 1% here, 1% there.. you ended getting more than just 1%.

Contador moved to Lugano also probably part of the reason of the training changes. He said that he can train with more of his teammate (got more motivation) under the direct guidance of Bjarne (Bjarne lives in Lugano). Kerrison in one of his interview said that sky is the only team who offer "one on one" coach to rider ratio. He was surprised that most team let their rider train at their own device. We are all know, sky practically lives in Tenerife. Anyway just offering some observation..

You may be right, but in that case the new training methods hasn't worked very well for Contador yet. One of the stunning things about Sky's performances is their riders' ability to perform on a consistently high level for large parts of the season. It isn't just that they use innovative training methods to get to 100% at the Tour. Of course that's part of it is well...

Not to say that Contador hasn't been consistent (apart from his horrible performances at the ardennes classics), he's just been a tad weaker than the 3-5 best riders at each race, consistently. Three years ago that would have been completely unheard of.

And of course I'm not writing off Contador for the Tour de France. I'm sure he will be there and will be a major factor i the mountains. I just fear (or hope, depending on the mood) that he will lack these few procent in the Tour as well. That they are lost forever. I could well be wrong, of course.

In any case, I hope he will ride the Tour like a dog with rabies, but I also sincerely hope that he loses in the end. Not to say that i hope Froome will come out the victor. But if we get an exciting and beautiful race I won't complain either way.
BabylonFell

PreviousNext

Return to Professional road racing