Register

Alberto Contador Discussion Thread

A place to discuss all things related to current professional road races. Here, you can also touch on the latest news relating to professional road racing. A doping discussion free forum.

07 Jun 2013 04:20

Jelantik wrote:maybe it got something to do with the arrival of De Jong and Rogers from sky. There's gotta be. I would be shocked if saxo didn't hire them with the mind of getting to know the new method. In the 6 months of Contador's band, sky revolution of training method started to show how the new matra of racing with number can have a great effect. Contador certainly can't just race like the way he used to be. The game is changing now. Everyone got their number based on what their genetics. Maybe now, saxo started looking up more closely of data than it used to be and try to apply different method. Watch rogers movie in saxobank cycling page. http://www.saxobank.com/cycling/. He talked about how if you can squezze 0.5 % or 1 more percent and the next thing you know 1% here, 1% there.. you ended getting more than just 1%.

Contador moved to Lugano also probably part of the reason of the training changes. He said that he can train with more of his teammate (got more motivation) under the direct guidance of Bjarne (Bjarne lives in Lugano). Kerrison in one of his interview said that sky is the only team who offer "one on one" coach to rider ratio. He was surprised that most team let their rider train at their own device. We are all know, sky practically lives in Tenerife. Anyway just offering some observation..

I don't buy this. The Wiggins of last year was doing exactly what Bertie used to do, winning often starting in P-N. Wiggins even took it to the next level and won an early season sprint.

It is obvious Bertie's doing different preparations, but it is nothing like Sky had done for Wiggins. Bertie is doing just fine, he soft pedaled the TT the other day and was within a few seconds of Dawg on the summit finish when he really tried. They will both improve, but maybe their trajectories are different: Bertie's is sharper with more power to be gained and Dawggie is more shallow with less power to be gained. They'll be working on their high-end stuff now anyway so have no fear, the Tour will be a battle.
[color="Blue"]Why would you expect athletes to be role models that represent paragons of virtue that are somehow different from most other people in other professions?[/color] -Paul Scott

[color="Sienna"]There was so much evidence staring everybody in the face and yet so many people wanted to believe the beautiful lie, rather than the ugly truth.[/color] -Alex Gibney
User avatar Fatclimber

07 Jun 2013 04:32

Fatclimber wrote:Bertie is doing just fine, he soft pedaled the TT the other day and was within a few seconds of Dawg on the summit finish when he really tried.

Not to burst your bubble, but Froome didn't try to shake off Contador as such. He was going for the stage win. Taking time on Contador is of no importance to Froome right now, so I hardly think i had any interest in wasting energy in order to really distance Contador.

If I were Contador, I wouldn't like to think about what Froome could have managed had he tried to put the hammer down earlier on the climb. He was obviously stronger than Contador, which was made agonizingly clear by the resignation in Contadors face when he finally had to let go of Froome's wheel. He cracked, simple as that.

But I agree, i think they will be close in the mountains in the tour - and hopefully Contador will have to put in attacks non-stop - but today Froome was obviously stronger by som margin.
BabylonFell

07 Jun 2013 05:53

contessador wrote:Froom is not giving up that yellow jersey any time soon :cool: mighty fine.

Contador? I don't really see him as fat but if you say so.

Wait wait wait wait please tell me I didn't understand this correctly. Mighty fine? You're saying he looks mighty fine? What :eek:
"The second place is not good."
The great Alberto Contador :p
User avatar LaFlorecita

07 Jun 2013 06:00

BabylonFell wrote:You may be right, but in that case the new training methods hasn't worked very well for Contador yet. One of the stunning things about Sky's performances is their riders' ability to perform on a consistently high level for large parts of the season. It isn't just that they use innovative training methods to get to 100% at the Tour. Of course that's part of it is well...

Not to say that Contador hasn't been consistent (apart from his horrible performances at the ardennes classics), he's just been a tad weaker than the 3-5 best riders at each race, consistently. Three years ago that would have been completely unheard of.

And of course I'm not writing off Contador for the Tour de France. I'm sure he will be there and will be a major factor i the mountains. I just fear (or hope, depending on the mood) that he will lack these few procent in the Tour as well. That they are lost forever. I could well be wrong, of course.

In any case, I hope he will ride the Tour like a dog with rabies, but I also sincerely hope that he loses in the end. Not to say that i hope Froome will come out the victor. But if we get an exciting and beautiful race I won't complain either way.

You fear these few procent are lost forever but yet you hope he loses the tour :confused: why do you hope he loses?
User avatar LaFlorecita

07 Jun 2013 06:02

BabylonFell wrote:Not to burst your bubble, but Froome didn't try to shake off Contador as such. He was going for the stage win. Taking time on Contador is of no importance to Froome right now, so I hardly think i had any interest in wasting energy in order to really distance Contador.

If I were Contador, I wouldn't like to think about what Froome could have managed had he tried to put the hammer down earlier on the climb. He was obviously stronger than Contador, which was made agonizingly clear by the resignation in Contadors face when he finally had to let go of Froome's wheel. He cracked, simple as that.

But I agree, i think they will be close in the mountains in the tour - and hopefully Contador will have to put in attacks non-stop - but today Froome was obviously stronger by som margin.

Believe me, in the tour we'll only see one attack by him max. After that Froome will go. So I guess you'll end up disappointed.
User avatar LaFlorecita

07 Jun 2013 06:11

BabylonFell wrote:Not to burst your bubble, but Froome didn't try to shake off Contador as such. He was going for the stage win. Taking time on Contador is of no importance to Froome right now, so I hardly think i had any interest in wasting energy in order to really distance Contador.

No worries, my bubble was burst near a decade ago. It's still a preparation race and a good opportunity for everybody to get a few hard intervals in and that's about it for the contenders. Sure, Dawggie Dawgg can be pleased to come out on top but be sure that he is aware that Bertie was not far behind. There is still time to hone the engine. I'm not endorsing Bertie, just saying I think his preparation is going fine.
[color="Blue"]Why would you expect athletes to be role models that represent paragons of virtue that are somehow different from most other people in other professions?[/color] -Paul Scott

[color="Sienna"]There was so much evidence staring everybody in the face and yet so many people wanted to believe the beautiful lie, rather than the ugly truth.[/color] -Alex Gibney
User avatar Fatclimber

07 Jun 2013 06:42

The Eggman wrote:"probably?"

BTW It's only profitable if it wins

If I made bets I'd bet on Contador at 4 to 1, because 1.4 to 1 is obvious bookmaker spear, how much luck any contender need in first week. But it doesn't change the fact that the Alien has more chances
User avatar airstream

07 Jun 2013 07:02

LaFlorecita wrote:You fear these few procent are lost forever but yet you hope he loses the tour :confused: why do you hope he loses?

I fear these few procent are lost forever for the sake of the tour. I would like to see him put Froome under serious pressure. I wouldn't want to see him as dominant as in 2009, though.

I hope he loses because he's far from my favorite rider, and over the years I've developed an antipathy for the Saxo-Tinkoff team because of the happy-go-lucky coverage of cycling from danish television. I really can't bare the thought of having to listen to idiots from danish television babble endlessly about the Contador and Saxo-Tinkoff whilst forgetting that there's actually a race going on. It's not just that though. Contador has never been my favorite rider.

It's not that I hope the victory goes to Froome as such, but I wouldn't really mind if it did, as long as the race doesn't turn into a dull Sky-march like last year. I sympathize with Froome in some way, probably because I feel he's been robbed of at least one grand tour victory. And despite the fact that he's completely sacrificed his own chances, even when it was clearly tactically moronic, he's had to listen to buttloads of criticism for being disloyal to the team. I somehow feel like he deserves a grand tour victory.

That being said, I will of course be rooting for my favorite riders. First and foremost i will be rooting for Cunego with gullible optimism. Yeah, I know...

Also, I would love to see Valverde finishing in the top 3 in the Tour de France at last. I'm not optimistic, though.

Van Den Broeck and Evans also. Again, I'm not too optimistic, surely not on behalf of Evans. In any case, it would be neat if someone, anyone, could beat both Froome and Contador.
BabylonFell

07 Jun 2013 07:08

Fatclimber wrote:No worries, my bubble was burst near a decade ago. It's still a preparation race and a good opportunity for everybody to get a few hard intervals in and that's about it for the contenders. Sure, Dawggie Dawgg can be pleased to come out on top but be sure that he is aware that Bertie was not far behind. There is still time to hone the engine. I'm not endorsing Bertie, just saying I think his preparation is going fine.

Yeah, I agree. What he's shown in the Dauphiné isn't worrying in itself, and certainly not what he showed on yesterdays stage. My point is that he has been performing below par ever since his return, and that is slightly worrying. Not overtly, but slightly worrying..
BabylonFell

07 Jun 2013 08:09

BabylonFell wrote:Yeah, I agree. What he's shown in the Dauphiné isn't worrying in itself, and certainly not what he showed on yesterdays stage. My point is that he has been performing below par ever since his return, and that is slightly worrying. Not overtly, but slightly worrying..

Well he might have been doing the same races as earlier, but I believe he said before San Luis that he was 3 kg heavier from the beginning of the season, compared to earlier years, and that he would have a slower build up to the tour this year than earlier years in order to have more in the tank for the tour. Can anyone find the link to an article naming that or am I just imagining things?
notrolfsorensen

07 Jun 2013 08:32

notrolfsorensen wrote:Well he might have been doing the same races as earlier, but I believe he said before San Luis that he was 3 kg heavier from the beginning of the season, compared to earlier years, and that he would have a slower build up to the tour this year than earlier years in order to have more in the tank for the tour. Can anyone find the link to an article naming that or am I just imagining things?

http://velonews.competitor.com/2013/01/news/alberto-contador-hopes-to-drop-a-few-kilos-during-tour-de-san-luis_271946

There you go. There might have been added a few things in your recollection of this interview, though. It doesn't really say that he'll have a slower build up, but it's implied to some extend.

2013 isn't the first time he has downplayed his form coming in to Tour De San Luis, though. This is what he said ahead of the race in 2012:

"I'm giving priority to having more base in order to be fresher during the main objectives of the season. The training data is good and what I intend now is to hone my weight gradually."

Pretty much the exact same thing.
BabylonFell

07 Jun 2013 09:06

BabylonFell wrote:http://velonews.competitor.com/2013/01/news/alberto-contador-hopes-to-drop-a-few-kilos-during-tour-de-san-luis_271946

There you go. There might have been added a few things in your recollection of this interview, though. It doesn't really say that he'll have a slower build up, but it's implied to some extend.

2013 isn't the first time he has downplayed his form coming in to Tour De San Luis, though. This is what he said ahead of the race in 2012:

"I'm giving priority to having more base in order to be fresher during the main objectives of the season. The training data is good and what I intend now is to hone my weight gradually."

Pretty much the exact same thing.

yeah, but then he got sanctioned and had to change his plans, so we don't know how he would have been in 2012
notrolfsorensen

07 Jun 2013 09:17

I don't necessarily agree that that's the only conclusion to take away. Contador has conceded time in the final few hundred metres of every race for a long time now. It just seems to be something he does. Not saying he didn't crack, but he certainly has previous form at this kind of time loss even when he's the best climber
User avatar R0BL4MBT0N

07 Jun 2013 09:23

R0BL4MBT0N wrote:I don't necessarily agree that that's the only conclusion to take away. Contador has conceded time in the final few hundred metres of every race for a long time now. It just seems to be something he does. Not saying he didn't crack, but he certainly has previous form at this kind of time loss even when he's the best climber

Well, if he loses time, then one can hardly conclude that he's the best climber on the day, right?
BabylonFell

07 Jun 2013 09:35

One of Sky goals as I see is obviusly not to let Contador any stage win prior the Tour at all. In their view the main enemy shouldn't feel full force.
User avatar airstream

07 Jun 2013 09:38

notrolfsorensen wrote:yeah, but then he got sanctioned and had to change his plans, so we don't know how he would have been in 2012

Right you are.

It just seems weird to me, that Saxo would even be interested in a significantly slower build up, given Contadors previous efforts, if Contador really is the same rider as he was two years ago. Especially given the importance of the point ranking system and the squads general lack of depth.

My point is that Contador isn't the same rider anymore, and that Saxo-Tinkoff of course knows that, so it is absolutely plausible that they would go for a slower build up.

But his season hasn't been one long build up. Just like all the other competitors, he has had a form-peak (probably not hitting absolute top form, but then again, the same could be said for the other competitors). I still can't see it as anything other than a sign of weakness that he hasn't been able to challenge Froome even once.

Maybe he has just had a bad spring. It happens.
BabylonFell

07 Jun 2013 09:43

BabylonFell wrote:Well, if he loses time, then one can hardly conclude that he's the best climber on the day, right?

In the Vuelta he was pipped by Jrod (Steep gradients) (And Froome early on (Shallow gradients/flat/descents). His climb 'finishing' is not the best but he retained alot of strength the whole way through the 3 week tour and has the guts and balls to keep attacking throughout. I fully expect Froome to be pipping Contador even if he gets himself to top shape through most of the Tour De France. The question is will he gain enough time if/when he does a long range attack to make up his losses in the TT (Will not be as much as the Dauphine TT I think) and the various mountain 'pips' by Froome.
If Froome does a long one that sticks at any point the Tour is of course completely over.
User avatar Pulpstar

07 Jun 2013 09:51

airstream wrote:One of Sky goals as I see is obviusly not to let Contador any stage win prior the Tour at all. In their view the main enemy shouldn't feel full force.

According to SKY he´s not a threat at all. So what view are you talking about?
User avatar xrayvision

07 Jun 2013 09:53

xrayvision wrote:According to SKY he´s not a threat at all. So what view are you talking about?

According to Sutton. Froome said just yesterday that he was sure Contador would be there for the tour.
notrolfsorensen

07 Jun 2013 09:55

notrolfsorensen wrote:According to Sutton. Froome said just yesterday that he was sure Contador would be there for the tour.

That´s what he have to say. Means nothing.
User avatar xrayvision

PreviousNext

Return to Professional road racing