Register

Alberto Contador Discussion Thread

A place to discuss all things related to current professional road races. Here, you can also touch on the latest news relating to professional road racing. A doping discussion free forum.

16 Jun 2013 15:06

Angliru wrote:You don't know him personally so you really can't be "sure" of that now can you?

abundant life experience allows me to judge about that. :)
User avatar airstream

16 Jun 2013 15:10

airstream wrote:abundant life experience allows me to judge about that. :)

That explains Frank Schleck slipping under your character radar.;)
"It's a little bit scarey when Contador attacks." Tommie Voeckler
User avatar Angliru

16 Jun 2013 15:24

Taxus4a wrote:I was once as press in the Vuelta a Castilla y León... I saw him screamed his staff just for something wrong in his shoes. I was surprised that day.

I find it quite possible that he is a nervous person, with a tendency to erupt, both on the bike and off the bike. It can have positive effects as it makes him more likely to attack, but negative ones as well.
Check for example his reaction to people running too close to him on Verbier:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q6jtYQftW88
(see 15:22)
Of course, their behavior was pretty irresponsible and wrong, but they seemed to be cheering for him and encouraging him.
Compare Nibali's behavior in similar situation (look from 2:55)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U--B2HbT1ic

To justify Contador's behavior, he was under a great duress at the time, because of unhealthy atmosphere at the team and pressure from Lance.
User avatar Gregory

16 Jun 2013 16:24

Gregory wrote:I find it quite possible that he is a nervous person, with a tendency to erupt, both on the bike and off the bike. It can have positive effects as it makes him more likely to attack, but negative ones as well.
Check for example his reaction to people running too close to him on Verbier:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q6jtYQftW88
(see 15:22)
Of course, their behavior was pretty irresponsible and wrong, but they seemed to be cheering for him and encouraging him.
Compare Nibali's behavior in similar situation (look from 2:55)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U--B2HbT1ic

To justify Contador's behavior, he was under a great duress at the time, because of unhealthy atmosphere at the team and pressure from Lance.

contador 2.0 is a lot mature and calm, I think. His past trouble probably has have shaped his outlook for his life moving forward. TST team has supported and sticked with him while he was in probation. For that, i think he felt very grateful. (Won't you?) The entire team of TST and the sponsors stood by on his side!!! Even saxo bank used contador image to advertise their brand. So he might not be erupting as easy as that anymore especially to the team staff member and teammate who have been there for him all a long. But again that's just my wanna be psychologist diagnosis :p
User avatar Jelantik

16 Jun 2013 16:30

Jelantik wrote:contador 2.0 is a lot mature and calm, I think. His past trouble probably has have shaped his outlook for his life moving forward. TST team has supported and sticked with him while he was in probation. For that, i think he felt very grateful. (Won't you?) The entire team of TST and the sponsors stood by on his side!!! Even saxo bank used contador image to advertise their brand. So he might not be erupting as easy as that anymore especially to the team staff member and teammate who have been there for him all a long. But again that's just my wanna be psychologist diagnosis :p

Let's hope it's true...
User avatar Gregory

16 Jun 2013 16:55

Taxus4a wrote:Nobody sacrifice his chances, this is not everybody againts SKY, but it is true, that could be, one day Valverde attack, another Contador, another Purito, or maybe that in the same day.

It could happend but at the end everybody has his interest and even the plot could be with SKY if something is interested.

It is possible to see Nieve and Anton to help Contador, easier to help Froome, of course. We saw how Samu helped Contador, but, when the day was really hard, road put people in his place: Andy and Evans were the strongest.

we should see after they GC sorted out in ITT. If some of those contenders were far away from podium, they might just try to win a stage and at the end it will benefit Alberto. Evans isn't going to ally with anyone (I just don't see it). VDB is possible, but the question .. will he be strong enough? Purito and Valverde will depend how much they bleed in TT. Quintana, won't ally but he won't have problem to attack and follow Alberto. Mollema is probably an opportunist.

So far, it's really hard to call Froome the best climber. (well, what's the criteria anyway? hard to judge in the first place). But so far, his real skill somewhat masked by the strength of his team. If Dauphene and the rest of this year is the measure, so yes, he is the strongest by far. I hope there'll be a time when we can see mano a mano alone time in some 5-7km away of the GC contenders. So we can finally see how they rate against each other with all of them in their best form of their life. No buts, no ifs, no excuses.

As far as sky and controlling, I recall in one of froome's interview, that the sky mantra was about controlling as much as elements they can. Cycling is unpredictable, so If they can control as much as elements they can, they could control the outcome. That's what 'racing by number is for'. Controlling as much as you can to be able to have a more predictable outcome. So other team's job, are to disturb the control (not sure how they will be doing it with the speed of sky express that's barely make everyone under red zone). That's easier said than done. If everyone's shape is good enough to hang, and still have some left to sprint close to the finish line, then it's most likely, Froome will.. again like wiggins, winning it in ITT. Maybe this is the recipe of sky's winning formula? Forget mountain (just steady), then gain ridiculous time in ITT :D
User avatar Jelantik

16 Jun 2013 17:03

Jelantik wrote: I hope there'll be a time when we can see mano a mano alone time in some 5-7km away of the GC contenders.

Do you really think he can bump into serious problems?
User avatar airstream

16 Jun 2013 18:20

airstream wrote:Do you really think he can bump into serious problems?

Publicus wrote:He comes across as a VERY likable guy in interviews. He does, however, have a real mean streak on the bike (I mean that in a good way). Very formidable competitor. I hope teams have realized that the Froome Team Sky TdF team will NOT race like the Wiggins Team Sky TdF team. Froome won't race defensively. Even when he's leading . . . which may, in the end, be his undoing. But I do like his propensity to go for the kill. :D

Also [it is his thread after all]: contador seems like a great guy in person (watched him meeting fans before a group ride), who has a similar killer instinct on the bike but he's had DS who were able, for the most part (Hi Kloden ;)), his impulses to attack even when leading. I have the feeling his experiment with Riis' build plan (versus his previous approach) will yield some benefits in a few weeks. Judging from the Dauphine and Tour de Suisse, the TdF team should be strong. Strong enough to beat Sky remains to be seen, but I think it is possible (give me another couple of weeks before you ask me if it is :DPROBABLE :o)

Mean streak vs Lean steak
User avatar Contadoraus Schlecks

16 Jun 2013 18:40

airstream wrote:We share opinions there, don't we? By saying 'to love people' I mean human openness, desire to share positive emotions and be glad towards people. I'm sure Contador is not among people like that.

Oh, I have had different experience with Alberto. I flatted out on a training ride and he came along, changed my tube for me, adjusted my front deraileur for me, crappy Sram Red, gave me some water and a gel. Offered to buy me dinner in town, take me to a movie. I think the guy is awesome.
User avatar veganrob

16 Jun 2013 19:25

Taxus4a wrote:I have talked with Alberto sometimes... just one but see him talk close several times... he dont look at my eyes as very nice in the face to face feeling...nor bad as well...

I was once as press in the Vuelta a Castilla y León... I saw him screamed his staff just for something wrong in his shoes. I was surprised that day.

Froome is a nice guy, polite, clear, that is the important thing, good person and clear, nothing to hide.

But that is not always the important, some really nice guys as Rubiera are not reliable persons in the sport.

I like when people follow a cyclist and defend him, it is nice and it is the spirit of cycling, but IMO you are wrong with Alberto. His best quality for me is his competitive character, and that he is still living in a worker quarter in Pinto.

For the rest, I could not talk very well.

I have been in an environement when I have felt the opposite than you, overprotection with him and a lot of radical fans who made impossible to talk againt his figure, talking even about one of the best riders in History, and things like that, even the best time trialist of the moment...

Media and spanish federation with him.

You could find a lot of people to enjoy with Alberto.

I think his brother is a good and efficient person to be an amateur..., but Jacinto Vidarte... I would prefer keep my opinion with me...

There are some things in my country that I understand when we go out how other people look at us...

I'm sorry you had such bad experiences with Alberto. To me he comes across as a very nice person, a bit shy but nice either way.

By the way do you also have personal experience with Froome?
"The second place is not good."
The great Alberto Contador :p
User avatar LaFlorecita

16 Jun 2013 19:29

ILovecycling wrote:Me:D
If I win, you will have a Alberto avatar with inscription 'Sorry Alberto' ,cos you dont believe he will win this Tour.Ok?:D:)

That is a ***** bet, of course I'll take that :D till worlds ok
User avatar LaFlorecita

16 Jun 2013 19:31

airstream wrote:Like Wiggins, Contador doesn't like people too much. He is not a social person and always feels a lot of discomfort when cameras are directed on him. In his soul he's still a bashful hick from Pinto.

you are right to some extent. He's shy, yes indeed, but i don't think that makes him an anti-social person.
User avatar LaFlorecita

16 Jun 2013 19:33

Fearless Greg Lemond wrote:Thats a big ignorant, if you had a hunger knock you wouldnt be able to climb the Dom stairs, would you?

It wasn't exactly an extraordinary failure.

1) Why would I get a hunger knock
2) why would I want to climb the dom stairs in the first place
User avatar LaFlorecita

16 Jun 2013 19:36

Angliru wrote:He seems a very humble person. Some confuse his determination to prove himself in the Tour as deservedly Sky's leader and his public responses to Wiggins's flip-fooling of his season goals as arrogant but I see it as a rider that was promised one thing by his team & by Wiggins, with only Froome keeping it real about what was agreed upon. Management in opinion handled the whole situation badly, fearful of stepping on Wiggins toes but offending Froome in the process.

Froome just seems to be changing and is slowly getting more and more arrogant. Add to that that girlfriend of his. He really annoys me.
User avatar LaFlorecita

16 Jun 2013 19:47

Jelantik wrote:contador 2.0 is a lot mature and calm, I think. His past trouble probably has have shaped his outlook for his life moving forward. TST team has supported and sticked with him while he was in probation. For that, i think he felt very grateful. (Won't you?) The entire team of TST and the sponsors stood by on his side!!! Even saxo bank used contador image to advertise their brand. So he might not be erupting as easy as that anymore especially to the team staff member and teammate who have been there for him all a long. But again that's just my wanna be psychologist diagnosis :p

Nah I don't think so. I think he was pretty mature in the first place.
User avatar LaFlorecita

16 Jun 2013 19:50

Jelantik wrote:I hope there'll be a time when we can see mano a mano alone time in some 5-7km away of the GC contenders. So we can finally see how they rate against each other with all of them in their best form of their life. No buts, no ifs, no excuses.

They won't be all in the best form of their life though.
User avatar LaFlorecita

16 Jun 2013 19:51

Publicus wrote:So you're just pulling it out of your nether-regions. Got it. Thanks for clarifying!

He is pretty right though
User avatar LaFlorecita

16 Jun 2013 19:53

veganrob wrote:Oh, I have had different experience with Alberto. I flatted out on a training ride and he came along, changed my tube for me, adjusted my front deraileur for me, crappy Sram Red, gave me some water and a gel. Offered to buy me dinner in town, take me to a movie. I think the guy is awesome.

lol brilliant. Chapeau mate
User avatar LaFlorecita

16 Jun 2013 20:01

Slightly related

“There is a Doctor Jekyll and Mister Hyde in him,” says American cyclist Christian Vande Velde, who befriended Contador when the two were teammates on the Liberty Seguros team in 2004. “Alberto is the kind of guy that sends you a birthday message or a get-well card, or Christmas cards. He’s a genuinely nice kid. But you can see it in his eyes. His eyes are getting harder and harder every year. At first, when he first won the Tour, he was sort of happy-go-lucky. He didn’t think he could do it and all of a sudden he had won. But after he won, well you get more guarded because of all the pressure. And you can see that in him. In a way it was sad to see my little buddy go away. He is still a friend but you can see him change.”

http://m.bicycling.com/news/2010-tour-de-france/nice-guys-finish-first
User avatar LaFlorecita

16 Jun 2013 20:01

LaFlorecita wrote:I'm sorry you had such bad experiences with Alberto. To me he comes across as a very nice person, a bit shy but nice either way.

By the way do you also have personal experience with Froome?

Contador sometimes stop and talk with people, more than Indurain or Perico did, I know for experience...but it is depends the people or the moment, that is normal.
I have seen Froome four times in my life, but didn´t talk with him really, I take some pictures, when he wasnt a famous rider and the two Vueltas, last year Vuelta the team was a little bit with him, protected him of the people, I didnt like that, but it is not his blame. He is a very nice person, I know that for reference of people that had big experience with him, spanish people and people from other countries. I had a friend that interviewed him as well,...Carlos Verona talked about him once in an article, and I know how is Verona, I rely on him.There are a lot of interviews over there...
I like Alberto in the way that Alberto is the only cyclist that move people to the road, the only that is well know, the only that is really in the media, so if Alberto goes well, cyclist in Spain goes well, more money, more races, more teams.. that way I like, but...
User avatar Taxus4a

PreviousNext

Return to Professional road racing