Register

Alberto Contador Discussion Thread

A place to discuss all things related to current professional road races. Here, you can also touch on the latest news relating to professional road racing. A doping discussion free forum.

16 Jun 2013 20:12

Taxus4a wrote:Contador sometimes stop and talk with people, more than Indurain or Perico did, I know for experience...but it is depends the people or the moment, that is normal.
I have seen Froome four times in my life, but didn´t talk with him really, I take some pictures, when he wasnt a famous rider and the two Vueltas, last year Vuelta the team was a little bit with him, protected him of the people, I didnt like that, but it is not his blame. He is a very nice person, I know that for reference of people that had big experience with him, spanish people and people from other countries. I had a friend that interviewed him as well,...Carlos Verona talked about him once in an article, and I know how is Verona, I rely on him.There are a lot of interviews over there...
I like Alberto in the way that Alberto is the only cyclist that move people to the road, the only that is well know, the only that is really in the media, so if Alberto goes well, cyclist in Spain goes well, more money, more races, more teams.. that way I like, but...

Well we can't all like the same people right :) I like to rely on quotes from people and to be honest I think you are only the second person to say something like this about Alberto (hrotha was the first). Everyone else was positive about him. So I like to think he is a nice person :) maybe I'm wrong but I can't like a jerk so I just want believe he is nice
"The second place is not good."
The great Alberto Contador :p
User avatar LaFlorecita

16 Jun 2013 20:26

Gregory wrote:I find it quite possible that he is a nervous person, with a tendency to erupt, both on the bike and off the bike. It can have positive effects as it makes him more likely to attack, but negative ones as well.
Check for example his reaction to people running too close to him on Verbier:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q6jtYQftW88
(see 15:22)
Of course, their behavior was pretty irresponsible and wrong, but they seemed to be cheering for him and encouraging him.
Compare Nibali's behavior in similar situation (look from 2:55)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U--B2HbT1ic

To justify Contador's behavior, he was under a great duress at the time, because of unhealthy atmosphere at the team and pressure from Lance.

Wiggins and Evans has worse reaction.. but they are crazy people :p
that is very relative.

I remember I did not like Lemond becouse denied me a sign as a child in San Sebastian... but maybe he is a very good person...

Levi and Horner are always the nicest people, at least with me, but I dont know him really as person, Frank schleck is far to be nice... but maybe he is a good person... his brother Andy is nice, but it depends a lot of the moment... and if you are a girl, much better. Cancellara is the worst, but I admire him.

Flecha was very nice with me one day, but a girl friend of mine told me he was talking very bad of the fans once... it depends...It is depends with riders always the moment.

I dont think Contador is a bad person, he is a victim of the system maybe, but I consider Froome better person and less false.

But this is nice, Florecilla follow and defend Contador, others do with others, we can came here and do jokes and rivality.. that is nice...that is the important. We can do that in a friendly way, la florecilla looks a good person.

I think Froome has a bad influence in his girlfriend, I like her as woman, but he is not so nice as Froome

Froome ride to improve himself, to be the best,... but she likes money.

Contador girlfriend and relatives are more.. simple...in the best meaning of the word...(I dont have a good english, sorry...) That, I like.

He likes go hunting with Noval, who was an ilegal hunter in Asturias. That, I dont like...

Perico was my idol and he likes Contador, that is a point for me...

Good luck for Contador in the Tour (he will need it :p).
User avatar Taxus4a

16 Jun 2013 20:30

Taxus4a wrote:Wiggins and Evans has worse reaction.. but they are crazy people :p
that is very relative.

I remember I did not like Lemond becouse denied me a sign as a child in San Sebastian... but maybe he is a very good person...

Levi and Horner are always the nicest people, at least with me, but I dont know him really as person, Frank schleck is far to be nice... but maybe he is a good person... his brother Andy is nice, but it depends a lot of the moment... and if you are a girl, much better. Cancellara is the worst, but I admire him.

Flecha was very nice with me one day, but a girl friend of mine told me he was talking very bad of the fans once... it depends...It is depends with riders always the moment.

I dont think Contador is a bad person, he is a victim of the system maybe, but I consider Froome better person and less false.

But this is nice, Florecilla follow and defend Contador, others do with others, we can came here and do jokes and rivality.. that is nice...that is the important. We can do that in a friendly way, la florecilla looks a good person.

I think Froome has a bad influence in his girlfriend, I like her as woman, but he is not so nice as Froome

Contador girlfriend and relatives are more.. simple...in the best meaning of the word...(I dont have a good english, sorry...) That, I like.

He likes go hunting with Noval, who was an illegal hunter in Asturias. That, I dont like...

I don't think Froome is nicer than Alberto. (they're both good persons anyway)
User avatar LaFlorecita

16 Jun 2013 20:39

It also depends a lot on the fact that Contador can't express himself as good in English as anglo riders
Let us remember what happened on March 16th, 2014

The Hitch wrote:Red Rick. Road Race forum MVP 2014.

The Hitch wrote:#RedRick4RCSRaceDirector.
Red Rick

16 Jun 2013 20:48

Red Rick wrote:It also depends a lot on the fact that Contador can't express himself as good in English as anglo riders

I don't think that matters too much to a Spaniard (Taxus4a)
User avatar LaFlorecita

17 Jun 2013 01:08

Taxus4a wrote:Wiggins and Evans has worse reaction.. but they are crazy people :p
that is very relative.

He likes go hunting with Noval, who was an ilegal hunter in Asturias. That, I dont like...

Evans and Wiggins just hate the media and also are under a lot of pressure. Both were trying to be the first from their countries to win the Tour. Evans seems a nice guy away from racing and Wiggins seems okay as well. That is one thing BMC did well for Evans. They managed him well with the media and protected him. Lotto were too stupid to do that. Evans is much more relaxed than he used to be. Contador is shy like Evans but manages to control himself better but even Contador seems much more relaxed now. Not everyone can be like Jens and Horner and be happy and friendly all the time and those guys don't have the same pressure.
movingtarget

17 Jun 2013 01:35

movingtarget wrote:Evans and Wiggins just hate the media and also are under a lot of pressure. Both were trying to be the first from their countries to win the Tour. Evans seems a nice guy away from racing and Wiggins seems okay as well. That is one thing BMC did well for Evans. They managed him well with the media and protected him. Lotto were too stupid to do that. Evans is much more relaxed than he used to be. Contador is shy like Evans but manages to control himself better but even Contador seems much more relaxed now. Not everyone can be like Jens and Horner and be happy and friendly all the time and those guys don't have the same pressure.

Wiggins and Evans are good persons, but they are a little bit crazy IMO

Anyway I asked for a sign to Wiggo, he stopped, sign me and go, nothing special, a litte bit serious maybe, but the same for Gesink and Dan Martin just litte bit later that day, or Kloden, nothing strange, even Gesink and Dan Martin were as more in a harry... Wiggins was more quiet.

That day I remember Andy was in the bus till the end, trying to be anonimous, but I was joking with him about tactics in cobless in the Tour and he answered, he is funny...Bur after "chain" Tour, he was supposed to be depressed, I dont know, but he was very serious with people, nothing to do with him...

I dont have any experience with Evans, so I dont know. I use to read his blog, and he look as a normal person.. but at a first look even I do, and I am quite mad. :p

I asked for a picture to Contador and he did, nothing to say about in that way. He was maybe a little bit nervous that day, becouse Lance was upstairs with a broken collarbone... The name of the Hotel was AC :D , in Palencia.

I was surprised that day becouse the restaurant was self service... Levi and him went to put his food in the plate, in the middle of a race ...even when I ate in the university they served me...

SKY dont let that things, that is a marginal gain...:p
User avatar Taxus4a

17 Jun 2013 03:39

Evans is a decent guy, he just couldn't handle all the pressure. Wiggins got arrogant with sky, same is happening with froome. As for froome and his treatment of wiggins, it seems to me like a spoilt child who can't share his toys. Wiggins was a bit like that last year, but not as bad.

I honestly think without sky, froome would be nowhere near as strong. With less control he would be more sucesptable to attacks like we saw at the vuelta (I know he wasn't fit, but same theory still applies). He hasn't shown an overly great offensive, he only gains a handful of seconds over rivals, even if he goes on the offensive earlier, same result imo. With sky such a strong team they won't wan't froome to attack early like contador or schleck can successfully do. That'd be wasting the teams effectiveness. They'll give froome an armchair ride within a few kms of the finish, then he'll attack.
nick101

17 Jun 2013 03:55

Taxus4a wrote:Wiggins and Evans are good persons, but they are a little bit crazy IMO

Anyway I asked for a sign to Wiggo, he stopped, sign me and go, nothing special, a litte bit serious maybe, but the same for Gesink and Dan Martin just litte bit later that day, or Kloden, nothing strange, even Gesink and Dan Martin were as more in a harry... Wiggins was more quiet.

That day I remember Andy was in the bus till the end, trying to be anonimous, but I was joking with him about tactics in cobless in the Tour and he answered, he is funny...Bur after "chain" Tour, he was supposed to be depressed, I dont know, but he was very serious with people, nothing to do with him...

I dont have any experience with Evans, so I dont know. I use to read his blog, and he look as a normal person.. but at a first look even I do, and I am quite mad. :p

I asked for a picture to Contador and he did, nothing to say about in that way. He was maybe a little bit nervous that day, becouse Lance was upstairs with a broken collarbone... The name of the Hotel was AC :D , in Palencia.

I was surprised that day becouse the restaurant was self service... Levi and him went to put his food in the plate, in the middle of a race ...even when I ate in the university they served me...

SKY dont let that things, that is a marginal gain...:p

Very interesting. Sounds like you have met many of the riders. Andy seems funny but people just get frustrated with his racing but I think he would be a fun guy to be around.
movingtarget

17 Jun 2013 05:46

nick101 wrote:Evans is a decent guy, he just couldn't handle all the pressure. Wiggins got arrogant with sky, same is happening with froome. As for froome and his treatment of wiggins, it seems to me like a spoilt child who can't share his toys. Wiggins was a bit like that last year, but not as bad.

I honestly think without sky, froome would be nowhere near as strong. With less control he would be more sucesptable to attacks like we saw at the vuelta (I know he wasn't fit, but same theory still applies). He hasn't shown an overly great offensive, he only gains a handful of seconds over rivals, even if he goes on the offensive earlier, same result imo. With sky such a strong team they won't wan't froome to attack early like contador or schleck can successfully do. That'd be wasting the teams effectiveness. They'll give froome an armchair ride within a few kms of the finish, then he'll attack.

Not at all, Froome just wanted what was originally promised to him. I'd say Wiggins is the one acting like a spoil child who didn't want someone else to play with what he thought should belong to him only. Thankfully Froome doesn't have to worry about Wiggins anymore. He's proven who's the new top dog at sky.
Be the Goat

Fabio Aru: "si muore sulla bici"
User avatar Afrank

17 Jun 2013 10:21

The reason is say that about froome is because he refused to let wiggins in the team for the tdf. he was in wiggins team for 2012. Wiggins knew how dangerous froome could be after he beat him in the 2011 vuelta when wiggins was also team leader there, so the same thing could've happened to wiggins, but he still let him in for 2012. we would've heard if wiggins kicked up a fuss about froome in 2012. Froome refuses to let wiggins in (even though there is no chance wiggins could beat him or be team leader) and wiggins confidence hits zero. But froome is leader and is definitely top dog.
nick101

17 Jun 2013 17:33

nick101 wrote:The reason is say that about froome is because he refused to let wiggins in the team for the tdf. he was in wiggins team for 2012. Wiggins knew how dangerous froome could be after he beat him in the 2011 vuelta when wiggins was also team leader there, so the same thing could've happened to wiggins, but he still let him in for 2012. we would've heard if wiggins kicked up a fuss about froome in 2012. Froome refuses to let wiggins in (even though there is no chance wiggins could beat him or be team leader) and wiggins confidence hits zero. But froome is leader and is definitely top dog.

Froome doesn't decide who gets in the team and who doesn't. Wiggins brought not making the team on himself by being so difficult to work with. Since this is the Contador thread though, if you want to keep discussing this lets take it to the Froome thread.
Be the Goat

Fabio Aru: "si muore sulla bici"
User avatar Afrank

17 Jun 2013 19:02

movingtarget wrote:That is a big statement as no one believes Contador will be in that sort of form. I was more confident about Wiggins last year with the route and the TT and having Froome as a domestique. This year will be a little different tactically but of course Froome is the one to beat. Last year Sky just dominated the race but I think this year's race will be much more tactical although still does not mean that Sky won't win. Teams will realise that if they ride the race like last year they have no hope against Sky. Will be very interesting to see how friendships will form on the road between teams. I think Movistar will definitely ride with Saxo. Katusha maybe.

What we'll see in the Tour will be the same as happened to Robert Miller in 1985 when the Spanish rode against him, collectively, in the Vuelta. I see the same happening to break the Sky dominance, palms will have been greased and I suspect that froomedawg will be hung out to dry like a saggy old pair of bib-shorts. I'd even include Andy in this equation, he's looking to find his mojo aggain and who better to provide it than his pal, Alberto. Spanish Armada versus the British Fleet.....has a nice ring to it.

I cried when they did it to Robert, it'll be tears of joy to see Sky hung out to dry!
I'm in shape...Round is a shape
Unashamed Contador Fanboy

http://www.justcycling.myfastforum.org
User avatar Siriuscat

17 Jun 2013 19:06

jens_attacks wrote:Image

Mornin' Dawwwg....see these three stripes on my arm?? Do you know what they mean?? Do you have what it takes to get them?? Let's play :D:D

User avatar Siriuscat

17 Jun 2013 19:12

Taxus4a wrote:I have talked with Alberto sometimes... just one but see him talk close several times... he dont look at my eyes as very nice in the face to face feeling...nor bad as well...

I was once as press in the Vuelta a Castilla y León... I saw him screamed his staff just for something wrong in his shoes. I was surprised that day.

Froome is a nice guy, polite, clear, that is the important thing, good person and clear, nothing to hide.

But that is not always the important, some really nice guys as Rubiera are not reliable persons in the sport.

I like when people follow a cyclist and defend him, it is nice and it is the spirit of cycling, but IMO you are wrong with Alberto. His best quality for me is his competitive character, and that he is still living in a worker quarter in Pinto.

For the rest, I could not talk very well.

I have been in an environement when I have felt the opposite than you, overprotection with him and a lot of radical fans who made impossible to talk againt his figure, talking even about one of the best riders in History, and things like that, even the best time trialist of the moment...

Media and spanish federation with him.

You could find a lot of people to enjoy with Alberto.

I think his brother is a good and efficient person to be an amateur..., but Jacinto Vidarte... I would prefer keep my opinion with me...

There are some things in my country that I understand when we go out how other people look at us...

What you see of Froome is the product of two years in the Sky school of PR brainwashing, what you see with Alberto is his own emotions uncoached, untouched...can you see the man who gave the middle finger to Armstrong, Bruyneel et al AND HAD THE COJONES TO GO AND GIVE THEM THEIR THANK YOU WATCHES as anything other than the steely-eyed superhero that he is... Contador is a beast in every sense of the word as soon as he clips in to race, otherwise he is just an ordinary human being, there's something wrong if you can't see that in the man

User avatar Siriuscat

17 Jun 2013 19:34

Siriuscat wrote:What you see of Froome is the product of two years in the Sky school of PR brainwashing, what you see with Alberto is his own emotions uncoached, untouched...can you see the man who gave the middle finger to Armstrong, Bruyneel et al AND HAD THE COJONES TO GO AND GIVE THEM THEIR THANK YOU WATCHES as anything other than the steely-eyed superhero that he is... Contador is a beast in every sense of the word as soon as he clips in to race, otherwise he is just an ordinary human being, there's something wrong if you can't see that in the man

Yes I agree completely!! Froome is a PR robot while Alberto is a real human being and like every human being sometimes his emotions get the better of him.
User avatar LaFlorecita

17 Jun 2013 20:23

jens_attacks wrote:Image

Siriuscat wrote:Mornin' Dawwwg....see these three stripes on my arm?? Do you know what they mean?? Do you have what it takes to get them?? Let's play :D:D

Let me spell it for you.
the yellow is what i'm going to wear at the end of TDF.
the pink is what your face looks like, coz I embarrassed you in the mountain
the red is what your 'assre' color looks like, after i kick your *** around the block :D
User avatar Jelantik

17 Jun 2013 20:30

Jelantik wrote:Let me spell it for you.
the yellow is what I might wear if my power meter keeps working and in my wildest dreams.
the pink is what my face will look like, when I'm knackered at the top of Alpe d'huez watching you at the presentation
the red is what Brailsfords face will look like, after you've kicked our collective Skyborg butts around France :D

Nice comeback, it'll never happen..:rolleyes: .... I've sorted them for you

I note you didn't bother with the Do you have what it takes to get them??? ;)....... I hope we'll see more of the Froomedawwwg's hangdawwwg expression from that image through July

User avatar Siriuscat

17 Jun 2013 22:26

Siriuscat wrote:What you see of Froome is the product of two years in the Sky school of PR brainwashing, what you see with Alberto is his own emotions uncoached, untouched...can you see the man who gave the middle finger to Armstrong, Bruyneel et al AND HAD THE COJONES TO GO AND GIVE THEM THEIR THANK YOU WATCHES as anything other than the steely-eyed superhero that he is... Contador is a beast in every sense of the word as soon as he clips in to race, otherwise he is just an ordinary human being, there's something wrong if you can't see that in the man

We see totally the oposite, what you see in Contador, I see in Froome, and the contrary.
User avatar Taxus4a

17 Jun 2013 23:01

Taxus4a wrote:We see totally the oposite, what you see in Contador, I see in Froome, and the contrary.

Really??? :eek::eek:

User avatar Siriuscat

PreviousNext

Return to Professional road racing