Register

Alberto Contador Discussion Thread

A place to discuss all things related to current professional road races. Here, you can also touch on the latest news relating to professional road racing. A doping discussion free forum.

22 Jun 2013 11:14

nick101 wrote:because it wasn't significant and didn't affect the overall result. he wasn't placed well, his own fault but it didn't cost him much time. I'm pretty sure andy also punctured btw. both had mechanicals, schleck just had a particularly bad one

But the chaingate 41 seconds are significant??? Every schleck fan on the planet has harped on about it since! If the wee boy can't change gear properly, why should people wait for him?

Make your choices for heavens sake, in 2010 Saxo and Cancellara in particular dictated the race in the early stages to ensure every advantage to Andy Schleck.

When the Bungle Boys fell off in the Ardennes Contador should have ridden like the wind and taken minutes out of them in full knowledge that Saxo would do the exact same on the cobbles the next day however the circumstances presented themselves.

Everybody took the relevant advantages where they could in 2010 except the Ardennes stage that Cancellara cancelled. Alls fair in battle.
I'm in shape...Round is a shape
Unashamed Contador Fanboy

http://www.justcycling.myfastforum.org
User avatar Siriuscat

22 Jun 2013 11:19

xrayvision wrote:airstream wrote:
Contador never bumped into a rival like Froome.

Oh boy :rolleyes:

Froome who came from zero to hero in under 1 year...

Click my sign, and you will see how that is a lie.
How you can say that airstream is trolling?
Then, what is what people as you are doing always?
User avatar Taxus4a

22 Jun 2013 11:19

Froome was a MTB'er as well, before he started training on a road bike in SA, so he first started out as a pure climber before finding out he was a pretty decent ITT'er. And judging his capabilities, he's actually a rider who first has to find a rythm uphill and in ITT's, before his big enine turns on. He doesn't like accelerations from early out, which is why the train works for him so well.

This could be valuable knowledge for Contador, who's known as a rider always ready to attack at unexpected moments. An attack like the one to Gap in 2011, on a relatively short climb combined with horrible weather, could cost Froome dearly. An almost similar stage is included this year, but the weather's crucial for such an attack to succeed.
User avatar Pentacycle

22 Jun 2013 11:22

I wouldn't call Manse a short climb...
Cancellara is like The Black Album. Really good but way overrated.
User avatar Netserk

22 Jun 2013 11:25

Netserk wrote:I wouldn't call Manse a short climb...

Relatively short climb ;) Still heavy, but it's no 20+ kms.
User avatar Pentacycle

22 Jun 2013 11:28

So Alpe d'Huez is almost a short climb?
Cancellara is like The Black Album. Really good but way overrated.
User avatar Netserk

22 Jun 2013 11:28

Pentacycle wrote:Froome was a MTB'er as well, before he started training on a road bike in SA, so he first started out as a pure climber before finding out he was a pretty decent ITT'er. And judging his capabilities, he's actually a rider who first has to find a rythm uphill and in ITT's, before his big enine turns on. He doesn't like accelerations from early out, which is why the train works for him so well.

This could be valuable knowledge for Contador, who's known as a rider always ready to attack at unexpected moments. An attack like the one to Gap in 2011, on a relatively short climb combined with horrible weather, could cost Froome dearly. An almost similar stage is included this year, but the weather's crucial for such an attack to succeed.

yeah I remember froome being a mountain biker, but pure climber initially? certainly not. he was more of a keg on wheels and only lost weight in 2011. plus evans was professional? or racing at a high level when he was mtb'ing. as far as I remember froome wasn't pro maybe only recreational :confused:
you can see froome certainly wasn't a climber in 2010:
http://cyclingweekly.media.ipcdigital.co.uk/11141/000003945/1dbb_orh100000w575/giro-2010-st10-HENDERSON-FROOME.jpg
nick101

22 Jun 2013 11:37

Netserk wrote:So Alpe d'Huez is almost a short climb?

Alpe d'Huez is no long climb, compared to Galibier f/e. I wasn't calling Manse or Alpe hills, why the nitpicking?
User avatar Pentacycle

22 Jun 2013 11:47

airstream wrote:Firstly, it would be very kind of you if you stop louting. Drivel you've posted here for last 2 years might become a subject of separate thread, however people handle you peacefully.

He said that only about San Luis and explained that with the late start of pre- season training preparation. Before TA and PV he was saying he was ready to win.

It seems inner ring disagrees with you and others on AC's approach this year:

http://inrng.com/2013/03/tirreno-adriatico-preview/

*Unlike the last couple of years, Contador is now very focused on not peaking before the Tour. He started out a couple of kilos heavier that normally and that was probably why he couldn’t shake the peloton as he normally does in Tour of Oman. I think Contador will be a lot better already and I would be surprised not to see him on the final podium.
"The truth is when I race, it's 100% me" Alberto Contador

"I have no intention of being a conformist in this race. Not in the slightest" Alberto Contador

"We should all have more cake. Who doesn’t like cake?" Oleg Tinkov
User avatar Publicus

22 Jun 2013 12:14

ILovecycling wrote:Are you surprised?GT is tottaly different to other races,its about recovery and mental strenght too.

No. I'm not surprised that Froome is #1 favorite. If he had recovery problems and absence of great perfomances in GTs, I would agree with you but... You kind of oppose 5 (7) Contador titles and Froome's zero and make your conclusion based on that.

I agree Contador will very likely win the Tour by means of big experience if they will approximately equal, but if he's worse, no experience will save him from Froome' beast power.

IMO you confuse visual impression and power a bit. Yes, Froome appears to be not very attractive on the bike and dances not very often, unlike Contador, Schleck or Rasmussen, but when this guy pedals 39x20 with a rabid frequency (65-70 turnovers/min), it's just crazy. And Froome can drop anyone even in the saddle since he supplies himself with energy in an absolutely outstanding way.
User avatar airstream

22 Jun 2013 12:24

airstream wrote:No. I'm not surprised that Froome is #1 favorite. If he had recovery problems and absence of great perfomances in GTs, I would agree with you but... You kind of oppose 5 (7) Contador titles and Froome's zero and make your conclusion based on that.

1st bolded: We will see his real recovery in this Tour coz of multiple Contador attacks.Dont be so sure.
2nd bolded: Of course I do.I think Froome is a bit worried of this.I think he is confident coz of his legs but he doesnt know exactly if Contador will attack on one single stage or every hilly stage,rainy stage,downhill or uphill.He is very unpredictable and thats not good for team Sky.Froome knows he(Contador) can win with zero form,top form,with good team or without good team.
Alberto Contador fanboy
Proud Participant of a Thrilling Foxxy's GGTG 2014-15
User avatar ILovecycling

22 Jun 2013 12:24

"The truth is when I race, it's 100% me" Alberto Contador

"I have no intention of being a conformist in this race. Not in the slightest" Alberto Contador

"We should all have more cake. Who doesn’t like cake?" Oleg Tinkov
User avatar Publicus

22 Jun 2013 12:27

airstream wrote:I agree Contador will very likely win the Tour by means of big experience if they will approximately equal, but if he's worse, no experience will save him from Froome' beast power.

IMO you confuse visual impression and power a bit. Yes, Froome appears to be not very attractive on the bike and dances not very often, unlike Contador, Schleck or Rasmussen, but when this guy pedals 39x20 with a rabid frequency (65-70 turnovers/min), it's just crazy. And Froome can drop anyone even in the saddle since he supplies himself with energy in an absolutely outstanding way.

1.Gap,Telegraphe,Fuente de...its not all about power...
2.hahah,fairy tail not reality:D;)
Alberto Contador fanboy
User avatar ILovecycling

22 Jun 2013 12:28

LaFlorecita wrote:Yes, and then he said he should've built a solid base before racing hard. So read his statements please, and don't just go about posting rubbish

But in my experience, and my opinion worths the same than yours, Contador changes his statements depends his convenience. He has been always the man of the excuses.

He did always the same through his career, it always worked. He told even of ride the Giro, so for that reason he wanted to ride easy.

He did not a solid base. why?? he never has had quiet winters, problems with team, with doping issues,...

It is true last year he finished his year later, in Lombardia, anyway he finished in September.. time to rest and start a solid base.

http://www.hoysport.com/noticias/ciclismoastana_contador_aun_subido_puertos_200902021400.html
If you can translate this, he said he was in California i winter, he didnt train a lot (yes, he did some base), that he was not ready to win in Algarve.. and he won.

Another, a year ago in San Luis

http://avanzamosciclismo.com/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=639:fotos-qla-hora-del-ciclismoq-&catid=41:profesionales&Itemid=66

Alberto contador nos contaba en el podium: “mejor de lo esperado, porque tenía mis dudas, ya que llevaba muchos meses sin montar en bici, después del Tour de Francia. Empecé a entrenarme tras el training camp de Israel, en la segunda quincena de diciembre, pero a pesar de todo hemos hecho un buen trabajo y hemos conseguido una victoria bastante inesperada para mí”.

This means something as:

Contador told as in the podium: better as sxpected, I had my doubts, I was lot of months without ride a bike after Tour de France, I started training after training camo in Israel, middle december but despite that we did a good job and we got an quite unespected victory for
me.

So, he consider no problem to be almost five months without a bike and start training at second half of december...

He always told about to win Tirreno, he always peak in the spring, Contador like to win always.

If he was tired after 2012 as he say, and he didnt rest enough, why think about to ride Giro and Tour, and why start in January.. so much pression are with him to force him to start a non very important race? I understand Liege, but if San Luis was a problem, dont ride.

The only motive I say I am spanish is becouse maybe I can read here more things about him, I know some of the journalist that write about him, I understand that kind of TV programs he was, and maybe I could have more information, but anyway in Spain a lot of people think like you.

I give here my personal point of view, subjetive, as you do, but with objetives facts.

And airstrem yesterday was masterful about what he said in this post:

Oh my Goodness. Some fans trolled other riders' fan for years (they didn't think what the rest riders' fans feel about that etal), savored how Contador would smash everyone, bragged how everyone has no chance, but now they whine when someone reminds em about reality. Pathetic. Your attitude just reaches you. No offense.

If I dont writte a lot in this thread will be my own decision, with no pressure and considering the attitude of some people in other threads.
User avatar Taxus4a

22 Jun 2013 12:29

Alberto Contador fanboy
User avatar ILovecycling

22 Jun 2013 12:31

ILovecycling wrote:1.Gap,Telegraphe,Fuente de...its not all about power...
2.hahah,fairy tail not reality:D;)

What he gained at Gap and Telegraphe? Nothing.

OK, you don't even want to deal with thought that Froome can be stronger than Contador under any pretext. Let's stop debates. At least I'm glad you discuss the things politely.
User avatar airstream

22 Jun 2013 12:40

Publicus wrote:It seems inner ring disagrees with you and others on AC's approach this year:

http://inrng.com/2013/03/tirreno-adriatico-preview/

This press release brings nothing new compared to any other ones, but alone phrase 'unlike previous years'.

Any elite GC rider never tries to peak for March or April, because it's not in their plans. They go there to check themselves and compare their form with form of other big guns. A WT 1 week race victory is not a consequence of absolute peak; that's just an yardstick of current preparedness in comparison to others. Or anyone seriously thinks Nibali and Froome intentionally peaked at TA to beat Contador?
User avatar airstream

22 Jun 2013 12:44

froome was at a very high level, if not already peaking at TA. he's been at that high level or peaking as I say since march? froome did intend to peak at that point (or win TA), beating contador was just a consequence of peaking
nick101

22 Jun 2013 12:47

airstream wrote:What he gained at Gap and Telegraphe? Nothing.

OK, you don't even want to deal with thought that Froome can be stronger than Contador under any pretext. Let's stop debates. At least I'm glad you discuss the things politely.

Nothing,I just wanted to pointed out that its not all about power but also about experience and tactics and Contador can do some of these attacks even if he is worse than Froome and he can gain something.

You are wrong.I THINK that Froome will be a bit stronger (mountains equal,TT better),but still I think Contador will win coz of series of attacks,madness of one moment or surprise attack.

edit:And please can you answer on the avatar bet challange...
Alberto Contador fanboy
User avatar ILovecycling

PreviousNext

Return to Professional road racing