Register

Alberto Contador Discussion Thread

A place to discuss all things related to current professional road races. Here, you can also touch on the latest news relating to professional road racing. A doping discussion free forum.

24 Jun 2013 17:13

Afrank wrote:The thread hasn't been polluted by trolls and fights, what's been happening in it is just discussion on Contador and Froomes chances at the Tour and comparisons between them. I don't see anything wrong with that. What I do see something wrong with is people like you trying to make other posters stop posting and hurling trolling insults and accusations around all over the thread simply because, as far as I can guess, you don't like their opinions on Contador or that their posting them. IMHO, that is the thing that is polluting the thread.

What is polluting the thread is the whole Contador/Froome discussion which in my opinion actually is off topic. I come to this thread expecting comments from Contador himself and things like that. If I wanted a Contador/Froome discussion, I would be reading the "who will win the Tour" thread instead. The last pages of this thread however have been tons of posts from people who disagree with each other, based on their opinion alone (which isn't a bad thing, seeing this is a forum after all), and who will continue disagreeing for another 50 pages easily. Nothing new has been said for the last 5 pages or so and nothing new will be said for the next 50 either.
Dutchsmurf

24 Jun 2013 17:16

Afrank wrote:The thread hasn't been polluted by trolls and fights, what's been happening in it is just discussion on Contador and Froomes chances at the Tour and comparisons between them. I don't see anything wrong with that. What I do see something wrong with is people like you trying to make other posters stop posting and hurling trolling insults and accusations around all over the thread simply because, as far as I can guess, you don't like their opinions on Contador or that their posting them. IMHO, that is the thing that is polluting the thread.

I totally disagree.....it is impossible to have a reasonable discussion with a certain baiter and all people do by responding to him is make him happy and he continues his antics. Geez he will argue whether the sky is blue or not....
Carol S.
~~~~
Alberto Contador: "And yes, it is true that for me it's the same to finish second or 10th."

Vincezo Nibali joins Anquetil, Gimondi, Merckx, Hinault and Contador as only the 6th winner of all 3 Grand Tours! Bravo Lo Squalo!
User avatar Carols

24 Jun 2013 17:17

LaFlorecita wrote:Have you been following the discussions in this thread:confused::confused: it's not just a discussion on Contador's and Froome's chances:confused: There are two posters who think it's necessary to post 20 posts about the same damn thing. yes airstream we know you think Alberto is overrated and we don't know Froome's full capacity yet. Yes taxus we know you think Alberto can't do what he used to do anymore because of clinic reasons, and yes we know you think he's a clean cycling god. God, give it a rest.

Just by the sheer number of posts you can see something is wrong. Airstream 40 posts, taxus 40 posts since the start of the " discussion" . No other poster got even close to these numbers.

Yes, I've followed the discussion, and Airstream and Taxus4a have been arguing their side with other posters who are arguing their side. In short, attempts at having a discussion. Throughout the discussion though some posters don't like what Airstream or Taxus4a are writing and call them trolls and tell them to stop, which makes them respond and defend themselves, which makes the other posters call them trolls again and continue to tell them to stop. That is the true vicious cycle, it's not just the fault of one side.

I would say both sides share some of the blame here actually. And that everyone posting in this thread needs to try to be more understanding and accepting of everyone points of view. You love Contador and think he's the best, you should have the right to share those thoughts. Airstream doesn't like Contador and thinks Froome will beat him, he should have the right to share those thoughts. We shouldn't try to stop each other from posting our opinion but instead be more accepting of each others opinions.
Be the Goat

Fabio Aru: "si muore sulla bici"
User avatar Afrank

24 Jun 2013 17:21

Dutchsmurf wrote:What is polluting the thread is the whole Contador/Froome discussion which in my opinion actually is off topic. I come to this thread expecting comments from Contador himself and things like that. If I wanted a Contador/Froome discussion, I would be reading the "who will win the Tour" thread instead. The last pages of this thread however have been tons of posts from people who disagree with each other, based on their opinion alone (which isn't a bad thing, seeing this is a forum after all), and who will continue disagreeing for another 50 pages easily. Nothing new has been said for the last 5 pages or so and nothing new will be said for the next 50 either.

I suppose we need a Contador vs. Froome thread then. That actually may solve a lot. The fans that don't want to read Airstream and Taxus comments can ignore it and Airstream and Taxus have a place to post their thoughts where they won't be told to stop constantly.
Be the Goat

User avatar Afrank

24 Jun 2013 17:23

Afrank wrote:I suppose we need a Contador vs. Froome thread then. That actually may solve a lot. The fans that don't want to read Airstream and Taxus comments can ignore it and Airstream and Taxus have a place to post their thoughts where they won't be told to stop constantly.

Sounds Great to me. Someone please open it and we can have reasonable discussions here :)
Carol S.
~~~~
Alberto Contador: "And yes, it is true that for me it's the same to finish second or 10th."

Vincezo Nibali joins Anquetil, Gimondi, Merckx, Hinault and Contador as only the 6th winner of all 3 Grand Tours! Bravo Lo Squalo!
User avatar Carols

24 Jun 2013 17:27

http://www.marca.com/2013/06/24/ciclismo/tour_francia/1372073885.html?a=a473484b093959a7156e979d23cafc94&t=1372093803

(Marca is the most read sport newspaper in Spain)

He say the route suits very well for Purito :confused:, with short ITT and several mountain finish.

He say too the route suits agressive riders as Valverde :confused: and himself

And Florecilla, we are not antiContador nor antiflorecilla, I am sorry if now you dont like the thread you created, but your behaviour is like a baby crying without any reason IMO, and I dont want to use others words not putting photos nor having you on. I am good at that , I swear you, I could get you crazy without trolling, just using your ways, it wouldnt be unfair, but it not good and I am not going to do it.

I wish the best for Contador, if he is Ok will be a funny Tour, becouse Contador is agressive and competitive, we saw that already in Oman (enormous race) and in Tirreno, and as well in the Vuelta. I hope to see that man instead Pais Vasco.

If this is a Contador fans only thread, I dont have any problem to write just in that new thread Carols said
I hope in Andy or Froome or others threads will be the same.

It must be anyway a thread of "previous" (I dont know in English if that is the word) to talk to the expected TDF and his favoutires.
User avatar Taxus4a

24 Jun 2013 17:32

Dutchsmurf wrote:What is polluting the thread is the whole Contador/Froome discussion which in my opinion actually is off topic. I come to this thread expecting comments from Contador himself and things like that. If I wanted a Contador/Froome discussion, I would be reading the "who will win the Tour" thread instead. The last pages of this thread however have been tons of posts from people who disagree with each other, based on their opinion alone (which isn't a bad thing, seeing this is a forum after all), and who will continue disagreeing for another 50 pages easily. Nothing new has been said for the last 5 pages or so and nothing new will be said for the next 50 either.

I completely agree, thank you
"The second place is not good."
The great Alberto Contador :p
User avatar LaFlorecita

24 Jun 2013 17:34

Afrank wrote:Yes, I've followed the discussion, and Airstream and Taxus4a have been arguing their side with other posters who are arguing their side. In short, attempts at having a discussion. Throughout the discussion though some posters don't like what Airstream or Taxus4a are writing and call them trolls and tell them to stop, which makes them respond and defend themselves, which makes the other posters call them trolls again and continue to tell them to stop. That is the true vicious cycle, it's not just the fault of one side.

I would say both sides share some of the blame here actually. And that everyone posting in this thread needs to try to be more understanding and accepting of everyone points of view. You love Contador and think he's the best, you should have the right to share those thoughts. Airstream doesn't like Contador and thinks Froome will beat him, he should have the right to share those thoughts. We shouldn't try to stop each other from posting our opinion but instead be more accepting of each others opinions.

yes, but when I share the exact same opinion 30 times a day it gets annoying. Which is what happened a while ago. people told me to stop. I stopped. The same is happening now. But airstream and taxus aren't gonna stop.
User avatar LaFlorecita

24 Jun 2013 17:35

Carols wrote:I totally disagree.....it is impossible to have a reasonable discussion with a certain baiter and all people do by responding to him is make him happy and he continues his antics. Geez he will argue whether the sky is blue or not....

Yes, as someone said (don't remember who, I think zam)

when everyone says A he needs to say B
User avatar LaFlorecita

24 Jun 2013 17:36

Carols wrote:Sounds Great to me. Someone please open it and we can have reasonable discussions here :)

Done.
10 char
Be the Goat

User avatar Afrank

24 Jun 2013 17:39

LaFlorecita wrote:yes, but when I share the exact same opinion 30 times a day it gets annoying. Which is what happened a while ago. people told me to stop. I stopped. The same is happening now. But airstream and taxus aren't gonna stop.

Point taken there, I'll agree a certain opinion does need to be stated and shared over and over again. Like I said both sides share some of the blame here.
Be the Goat

User avatar Afrank

24 Jun 2013 17:43

LaFlorecita wrote:Yes, as someone said (don't remember who, I think zam)

when everyone says A he needs to say B

http://forum.cyclingnews.com/showpost.php?p=882087&postcount=123
The Hitch: Winner 2013 Vuelta cq game. Winner, Velorooms prediction game 2012, 2013. 2nd all time cq rankings.
The Father of Clean Cycling, Christophe Bassons wrote:When I look at cycling today, I get the impression that history is repeating itself: riders who are supposed to be rouleurs are climbing passes at the front of the race, and those who are supposed to be climbers are riding time trials at more than 50 kilometres per hour.

The story is beginning again, just as it did 14 years ago

journalist with integrity.
User avatar The Hitch

24 Jun 2013 17:44

Trust me, we know.

He say the route suits very well for Purito :confused:, with short ITT and several mountain finish.

Yes, he is correct, it suits him way better than last year's route at least.

He say too the route suits agressive riders as Valverde :confused: and himself

yes he does. Lies again:eek: how dare he.

And Florecilla,

Florecita

we are not antiContador nor antiflorecilla,

you don't like Contador, don't even try to pretend otherwise. And who is the other person in "we" ? I hope not airstream, if it is airstream I'm gonna laugh my *** off.

I am sorry if now you dont like the thread you created,

Yes I don't like this thread at all. It's a ****ing, utter mess.

but your behaviour is like a baby crying without any reason IMO,

Actually I am pretty close to crying because this thread has become patheticly sad. Holy crap. A trollfest, that's what it is.

and I dont want to use others words not putting photos nor having you on.

No idea what you mean but don't even bother explaining

I am good at that , I swear you, I could get you crazy without trolling, just using your ways, it wouldnt be unfair, but it not good and I am not going to do it.

Okay. Cool.

I wish the best for Contador, if he is Ok will be a funny Tour, becouse Contador is agressive and competitive, we saw that already in Oman (enormous race) and in Tirreno, and as well in the Vuelta. I hope to see that man instead Pais Vasco.

Finally a reasonable comment:o

If this is a Contador fans only thread, I dont have any problem to write just in that new thread Carols said
I hope in Andy or Froome or others threads will be the same.

It's not a fans only thread. There are some guidelines though, to make discussions a bit nicer.

It must be anyway a thread of "previous" (I dont know in English if that is the word) to talk to the expected TDF and his favoutires.

I guess so
User avatar LaFlorecita

24 Jun 2013 17:45

User avatar LaFlorecita

24 Jun 2013 17:47

Carols wrote:Difficult to disagree with considering what we have seen this year. Froome is definitely the red hot favorite based on form shown this season. Means I get better odds :)

Still Alberto is on a new peaking plan this year, acknowledging that at age 30 it has become difficult for him to find his form. With a combination of his race savvy and a good team winning is doable. At least we know he will never give up trying for the win and that alone will make it an interesting race :)

I will be rooting for him to win regardless if it is the old killer Bertie or the new win by brains/savvy/tactics Bertie :) Still it looks like a monumental job to face. But if anyone can pull it off it is Alberto!

Remember, with age comes endurance, with age comes experience and with age comes coolness, it´s not so bad... and besides, he´s not that old Carols, he still have a couple of years at his best. ;)
User avatar xrayvision

24 Jun 2013 17:52

Cimber wrote:Contador: "I was at 75% in Dauphine"

Lots of catching up to do

http://m.feltet.dk/nyheder/selvsikker_contador_touren_passer_mig_i_aar/

Good article. He sounds confident and amusing while giving full credit to the competition. Indeed with a few attacking riders (Spanish Armada) and a more difficult parcours it could be a very different race than 2012.

Loved this line:
In an interview with the French sports newspaper L'Equipe becomes Contador among other things, asked what it means for him not to be the biggest favorite.

"Maybe I get more freedom," he laughs in response. "No, I doubt it. Who is favorite, it is something that journalists are talking about. Suits me fine not to be the favorite number one."

And this shows both humor and an opportunist attitude, instead of attack at all costs:
The next natural question is how you can beat Froome and his currently dominant Sky team and it has Contador a very simple answer:

"With the legs," he says with a smile. "It's the only solution. Tour becomes severe with Froome and the other riders who tour the goal. Sky has a very strong team, a large system of work - they dominate. One should not attack at all costs, but take every opportunity. The tour will be different than last year. "

The man surely doesn't sound as if he thinks he's beaten :)
Carol S.
~~~~

User avatar Carols

24 Jun 2013 17:53

Afrank wrote:When I read this post, it reads as this.
"Stop all this discussion! Your questioning Alberto and raising the points that Froome is better or could be better and I don't like it!" :rolleyes: It's a public discussion forum Flo, maybe you should be the one that stops telling people not to post their thoughts and opinions.

And +1 to this

It´s not the problem, the problem is certain posters use 500 posts to say the same thing over and over again. And it doesn´t matter what is being discussed, it´s the same arguments all over again, just presented in another way.

I call that trolling.
User avatar xrayvision

24 Jun 2013 18:01

xrayvision wrote:It´s not the problem, the problem is certain posters use 500 posts to say the same thing over and over again. And it doesn´t matter what is being discussed, it´s the same arguments all over again, just presented in another way.

I call that trolling.

So that way most of the post here saying Contador is the best rider of his generation and the favourite of this Tour over an over again presented in another way are trolling, right?

The only thing it is that some people dont want a reply of that every time they repeat the same. Dont repeat the same and no problem, nobody discuss that again.
User avatar Taxus4a

24 Jun 2013 18:06

Taxus4a wrote:So that way most of the post here saying Contador is the best rider of his generation and the favourite of this Tour over an over again presented in another way are trolling, right?

The only thing it is that some people dont want a reply of that every time they repeat the same. Dont repeat the same and no problem, nobody discuss that again.

Think the point is this thread sole purpose is not to be an Froome vs Contador thread. There is plenty of room here to be critical though. Like when I argued he didnt use his domestiques correctly etc. But it does indeed get boring with 50 pages of the same argument back and forth. Guess thats why I gave this thread a little break. And its not cos I think people arent allowed to be critical.
User avatar Cimber

24 Jun 2013 18:11

xrayvision wrote:Remember, with age comes endurance, with age comes experience and with age comes coolness, it´s not so bad... and besides, he´s not that old Carols, he still have a couple of years at his best. ;)

I haven't forgotten, my money is down at much better odds than expected :) The man thinks like a winner!
Carol S.
~~~~

User avatar Carols

PreviousNext

Return to Professional road racing