Register

Alberto Contador Discussion Thread

A place to discuss all things related to current professional road races. Here, you can also touch on the latest news relating to professional road racing. A doping discussion free forum.

25 Jun 2013 18:59

Oh yeah[/QUOTE]

Are you feeling better now Flo?

Told you, no reason to be worried, it´s AC and Riis, they know what they are doing. Only time will tell if it´s enough, but he will be ready to battle it out, this wont be easy for anyone, they surely gonna sweat if they wanna beat him.
User avatar xrayvision

25 Jun 2013 19:03

Miburo wrote:So? ok that's one example where it failed but if you've the right guys with you it's definitely possible.

We should just wait for the skytrain? I know they shouldn't be like morons and attack everywhere but i think this stage is good enough to give it at least a try.

Voeckler made btw a mistake there in that descent cause of the pressure, can happen with a favorite in that stage too.

And what happened a day later? contador and sanchez cracked.

if there is flat then a small group working together wastes more energy than a large group with 8 sky domestiques pushing the pace. Contador would be wasting energy he might need later in the race.
The Hitch: Winner 2013 Vuelta cq game. Winner, Velorooms prediction game 2012, 2013. 2nd all time cq rankings.
The Father of Clean Cycling, Christophe Bassons wrote:When I look at cycling today, I get the impression that history is repeating itself: riders who are supposed to be rouleurs are climbing passes at the front of the race, and those who are supposed to be climbers are riding time trials at more than 50 kilometres per hour.

The story is beginning again, just as it did 14 years ago

journalist with integrity.
User avatar The Hitch

25 Jun 2013 19:14

The Hitch wrote:And what happened a day later? contador and sanchez cracked.

if there is flat then a small group working together wastes more energy than a large group with 8 sky domestiques pushing the pace. Contador would be wasting energy he might need later in the race.

I doubt that was cause of that, they were pulling 3 km, that's it! Who was pulling them back btw?

The 2 Schlecks (and a bit evans but that's it) and what did they do next stage? :rolleyes:
thehog wrote:JV if you truly wish to save cycling.

Do something.

You know it's not real.

Your Garmin guys are getting killed.
User avatar Miburo

25 Jun 2013 19:29

Miburo remember your response to the lacks of attacks by Nibali in the first week of the Giro. :rolleyes:
Cancellara is like The Black Album. Really good but way overrated.
User avatar Netserk

25 Jun 2013 19:38

Netserk wrote:Miburo remember your response to the lacks of attacks by Nibali in the first week of the Giro. :rolleyes:

Well i assumed he was gonna deal with a super wiggins, can you blame me?

Besides i still think they made a mistake by not finishing wiggins of earlier.

Do something.

You know it's not real.

User avatar Miburo

25 Jun 2013 19:40

Miburo wrote:Well i assumed he was gonna deal with a super wiggins, can you blame me?

Besides i still think they made a mistake by not finishing wiggins of earlier.

Yes.

No matter how strong Wiggo was, it'd be a waste to go all out in the early stages.
User avatar Netserk

25 Jun 2013 19:51

Netserk wrote:Yes.

No matter how strong Wiggo was, it'd be a waste to go all out in the early stages.

So what if he'd lost by 5 seconds?

As Alberto said, you need to take every opportunity. Also in the first week.
"The second place is not good."
The great Alberto Contador :p
User avatar LaFlorecita

25 Jun 2013 20:01

Netserk wrote:Yes.

I disagree. Wiggins wouldn't suffer during these stages, right? :rolleyes:

But ok let's ignore the words of the best GT rider of the last 5 years in how to win a GT ;)

Do something.

You know it's not real.

User avatar Miburo

25 Jun 2013 20:03

LaFlorecita wrote:http://c-cycling.blogspot.cz/2013/06/tour-exclusive-jesus-hernandez-we-are.html

Many have doubted if Alberto Contador will reach his former level of greatness in this year’s Tour de France. The Spaniard hasn’t won any of the stage races he has been riding and so far he’s only got one stage win this season. However, what many tend to forget is that this year the plan has been different. Alberto Contador was mentally drained after his turbulent 2012-season and he needed a longer winter break than usually. Therefore, he started out 2013 three kilos heavier than the preview years, and naturally this has affected his results.

Instead of being close to his best level during the first part of the season - as he usually is - Contador has planned everything around the Tour de France. At Dauphiné he said he was on 75 % and according to his best friend and teammate, Jesus Hernandez, Alberto Contador is now ready to fight for the overall win.

“In general I think the balance is good. We haven’t won [much] but we have been close in all the races and therefore, the balance can’t be bad. Each year is different and the beginnings of the seasons are never the same. We have been working hard in order to arrive in a good condition for the Tour and I think we have achieved that”, Jesus Hernandez tells me.

Looking at the Saxo-Tinkoff team for the Tour, I doubt Alberto Contador has ever had a stronger team to support him. A view shared by Hernandez.

“We come [to the Tour] with a very solid block [of riders] in all areas, very attuned around Alberto. It is indeed a very strong team”, Hernandez says and ads: “The last rider in the mountains will be Kreuziger, who’s very strong. Before that, it’s up to Rogers, Roche and me depending on the stages”.

The two individual time trials in this year’s Tour de France is, without a doubt, in the favor of Chris Froome. Therefore, many have been wondering if Alberto Contador will be strong enough in the mountains to take back the time he will lose against the clock. According to Jesus Hernandez, that’s not an issue.

“[Taking back lost time in the mountains] won’t be a question with Alberto on this best level. In fact, it will be other way around”, Hernandez assures.

Due to Alberto Contador’s “poor” results this year, rumors of Contador not being as strong as usually in his training have surfaced. I asked Jesus Hernandez about these rumors and I think his answer speaks for itself.

“Come train a few days with him [Contador] and you will see the answer to those rumors”.

Oh yeah

And I thought I was amped for the TdF to start before... :D
"The truth is when I race, it's 100% me" Alberto Contador

"I have no intention of being a conformist in this race. Not in the slightest" Alberto Contador

"We should all have more cake. Who doesn’t like cake?" Oleg Tinkov
User avatar Publicus

25 Jun 2013 20:05

Yeah I remember his awesome attack in this stage (where he was far behind in GC):

:rolleyes:
User avatar Netserk

25 Jun 2013 20:06

The Hitch wrote:And what happened a day later? contador and sanchez cracked.

Andy was alone, he was working for his brother, son his brother didnt wait for him, so he wasted the same energy...and he did next day what he did...
User avatar Taxus4a

25 Jun 2013 20:08

Netserk wrote:Yeah I remember his awesome attack in this stage (where he was far behind in GC):

:rolleyes:

?

I don't see a real opportunity there
User avatar LaFlorecita

25 Jun 2013 20:10

Is that the stage LLS won in 2011? With all the crashes?

Edit: Oh i see, where could he have attacked there? That hill is not steep at all.

Do something.

You know it's not real.

User avatar Miburo

25 Jun 2013 20:21

LaFlorecita wrote:?

I don't see a real opportunity there

Neither do I in stage 3 this year...
User avatar Netserk

25 Jun 2013 20:34

Netserk wrote:Neither do I in stage 3 this year...

Relatively steep hill, technical descent, and not that far from the finish. Yea, no opportunity at all.

Trust me if Alberto loses the tour you'll pray he had tried on this stage. ASO doesn't offer many stages with finishes for GC contenders other than MTFs. Alberto should do as he said, take every opportunity.
User avatar LaFlorecita

25 Jun 2013 20:41

LaFlorecita wrote:Relatively steep hill, technical descent, and not that far from the finish. Yea, no opportunity at all.

Trust me if Alberto loses the tour you'll pray he had tried on this stage. ASO doesn't offer many stages with finishes for GC contenders other than MTFs. Alberto should do as he said, take every opportunity.

In this I am with you... Alberto will try that day, and there were quite selection that day

If Froome lose time with him I dont dare to say, but could happen
User avatar Taxus4a

25 Jun 2013 21:00

LaFlorecita wrote:Relatively steep hill, technical descent, and not that far from the finish. Yea, no opportunity at all.

Hard part of the hill: 2km @9%
Technical part of the descent: 3-3.5km
Easy (false)flat left: 10km

Not going to happen.

EDIT: I am willing to take an avatar bet that nothing will happen GC-wise on the stage (other than crashes and punctures etc.)
User avatar Netserk

25 Jun 2013 22:21

The two individual time trials in this year’s Tour de France is, without a doubt, in the favor of Chris Froome. Therefore, many have been wondering if Alberto Contador will be strong enough in the mountains to take back the time he will lose against the clock. According to Jesus Hernandez, that’s not an issue.

“[Taking back lost time in the mountains] won’t be a question with Alberto on this best level. In fact, it will be other way around”, Hernandez assures.

What did he mean, I don't understand? That Alberto will take time on Froome in the TT's?
webbie146

25 Jun 2013 22:28

webbie146 wrote:The two individual time trials in this year’s Tour de France is, without a doubt, in the favor of Chris Froome. Therefore, many have been wondering if Alberto Contador will be strong enough in the mountains to take back the time he will lose against the clock. According to Jesus Hernandez, that’s not an issue.

What did he mean, I don't understand? That Alberto will take time on Froome in the TT's?

Alberto in his best "shape" was the best of the world in ITT like the last of this TdF.
User avatar Taxus4a

25 Jun 2013 22:28

webbie146 wrote:The two individual time trials in this year’s Tour de France is, without a doubt, in the favor of Chris Froome. Therefore, many have been wondering if Alberto Contador will be strong enough in the mountains to take back the time he will lose against the clock. According to Jesus Hernandez, that’s not an issue.

I think that's exactly what he means. We'll see if this is all just the overconfidence of his best friend, but there has been a consistency about AC's story (slow build up) that lends credibility to the whole thing. We'll see in a few short days.
"The truth is when I race, it's 100% me" Alberto Contador

"I have no intention of being a conformist in this race. Not in the slightest" Alberto Contador

"We should all have more cake. Who doesn’t like cake?" Oleg Tinkov
User avatar Publicus

PreviousNext

Return to Professional road racing