Register

Peter Sagan discussion thread.

A place to discuss all things related to current professional road races. Here, you can also touch on the latest news relating to professional road racing. A doping discussion free forum.

10 Jun 2012 19:53

Vino attacks everyone wrote:I doubt he is much better than EBH in the sprints

I don't think Sagan's faster, but he's certainly better at positioning. Mostly because he's completely and utterly insane :p
maltiv

10 Jun 2012 20:03

I think Eddie and sagan are pretty equal at speed, hagen with a slightly higher top speed and sagan with a little quicker acceleration i think. But sagan is much more consistant and better at positioning and timing his sprints :)
Bushman

11 Jun 2012 03:37

He hasn't show a good climb, or long ITT, yet, some performances have hinted it may be possible.
Forget stage racing, apart from points jerseys and stages and preparation for what really matters, aim for the classiscs...all of them, over and over. It would be great to see someone claim all 5 monuments in a career, only 3 riders have ever done it, and the last of those won their last monument in 1979. Right now I'd say Cancellara, Gilbert and Sagan have a shot.
karlboss

11 Jun 2012 07:35

why do ppl expect him to climb or TT well?

i have never seen him saying he wants to be stage race cyclist,i think he knows he is good sprinter,puncheur and thats what we are goin to see from him

climbing and TT is pointless for him,unless its like tour of poland where he was in position to win overall,so he kinda stuck with dan martin
saganftw

11 Jun 2012 07:48

Yeah, he should definately aim for the classics. There is no point in trying to turn him to a gc contender.
Though If he is going to win LBL and lombardia, i think he needs to lose a few pounds and improve his climbing a bit.
Bushman

11 Jun 2012 10:20

maltiv wrote:Sagan is extremely overrated as a climber. He's a great puncheur, but he's never shown anything in the mountains. And no, I don't count getting over the top of a HC climb in a slowly paced 15 man breakaway group (including climbing prodigy Salerno) as a particularly impressive climbing feat.

He's massively impressive in hills, sprints and prologues, but when he both lacks the ability to do a decent long ITT and climb a mountain I don't see how anyone can consider him to be a likely future GT contender. Not that it matters, because he'll certainly pick up a couple of monuments, WCs and Olympic medals.

yeah, at the foot of the climb maybe :rolleyes: he topped that climb with ten Dam, Fuglsang and Salerno, while the others (including not too shabby climbers like de Greef and Caruso) were long gone.

so no, I don't think he's overrated as a climber. he can handle a climb pretty ok if he goes for it. except that he almost never does that, since these days are more or less days off-duty for him, given his 'I race to win all year long'-approach.
User avatar Flamin

11 Jun 2012 10:49

Flamin wrote:yeah, at the foot of the climb maybe :rolleyes: he topped that climb with ten Dam, Fuglsang and Salerno, while the others (including not too shabby climbers like de Greef and Caruso) were long gone.

so no, I don't think he's overrated as a climber. he can handle a climb pretty ok if he goes for it. except that he almost never does that, since these days are more or less days off-duty for him, given his 'I race to win all year long'-approach.

I think he has improved his sprint this year, maybe he has gained a few pounds, i think thats the reason why his climbing seems to worse than last year.
though in T-A on the stage to chieti it was also some steep stuff where (except from him) it was only the GC guys who were there.
Bushman

11 Jun 2012 12:21

Bushman wrote:I think he has improved his sprint this year, maybe he has gained a few pounds, i think thats the reason why his climbing seems to worse than last year.

why? he just never took a shot on a mountain this year.. and rightfully so.
User avatar Flamin

11 Jun 2012 12:34

Flamin wrote:why? he just never took a shot on a mountain this year.. and rightfully so.

In Tour of Oman he said he would try to hang onto the leader's jersey on the MTF, but he was dropped very early on Green Mountain and finished way back.
maltiv

11 Jun 2012 13:51

maltiv wrote:In Tour of Oman he said he would try to hang onto the leader's jersey on the MTF, but he was dropped very early on Green Mountain and finished way back.

Really? didn't know. was he serious though? because that's kinda lame :o

anyway, the 2nd week of le Tour will tell us more.
User avatar Flamin

11 Jun 2012 16:44

I have no doubt that Sagan will pull off the Ardennes triple someday.
Tom T.

11 Jun 2012 17:21

doperhopper

11 Jun 2012 17:23

brilleaben wrote:Of course he's not peaking too soon, it was just a fantastic and very original joke. But I wonder what he will focus on perfecting first. Will he be a sprinter, cobbler or puncheur? Or just all of them.

IMO Sagan has massive core strength, guts, cunning and intelligence as a cyclist. Atta boy Sagan, plus he seems to have focus and maturity beyond his years. This type of rider comes only once every couple of decades. He also looks really, really good on the bike. I think he is really lucky also to ride for Liquigas, which has awesome management. A Merckx or Kelly, really a coin flip. Kind of an old school rider is Peter.
Eusebio Kino

Bike handling

11 Jun 2012 18:01

Is the bike handling that makes the difference? If so - check youg Peter few years ago.

http://vimeo.com/3210792

Maybe that could be interesting way for other young riders - versatility is the key for later successes in many sports.
TatryTour2013

11 Jun 2012 18:43

TatryTour2013 wrote:Is the bike handling that makes the difference? If so - check youg Peter few years ago.

http://vimeo.com/3210792

Maybe that could be interesting way for other young riders - versatility is the key for later successes in many sports.

The Sagan Bros. were excellent BMX racers also. My guess is that when the road sprints get hairy for the riders the Sagans' see everything in slow motion, and are able to read the sprint and then make appropriate moves to win.
It surprises me that road racers don't ride mountain bike, track races, cross more often. Look at Lars Boom, he never seems to get hurt, as a former cross racer. Also the Pros should be doing ju-jitsu, yoga, and stretching/gymnastics to keen their reflexes and make themselves supple for the inevitable crashes in road racing. Peter Sagan seems incredibly fluid in his range of motions, which will protect him and his fellow riders.
Eusebio Kino

11 Jun 2012 19:37

Eusebio Kino wrote:The Sagan Bros. were excellent BMX racers also.

Maybe that's where he learned to do this...

...right after the finish at ToC stage 3 in Livermore
User avatar BeachBum

11 Jun 2012 19:50

He has really got everything. A strong physique, race intelligence, great bike handling skills and last, But not least, he seems to have mental strenght. He is a winner, But he is still humble and he has managed to keep both Of his legs on the ground (well, not When on the bike Of course ;) ).
Bushman

12 Jun 2012 00:57

doperhopper wrote:any nickname for Saginator?

http://video.bicycling.com/video/What-Should-Peter-Sagans-Nickna

I've always liked "The Terminator" for a nickname, that or "sagain" because he wins so much.

Eusebio Kino wrote:The Sagan Bros. were excellent BMX racers also. My guess is that when the road sprints get hairy for the riders the Sagans' see everything in slow motion, and are able to read the sprint and then make appropriate moves to win.
Peter Sagan seems incredibly fluid in his range of motions, which will protect him and his fellow riders.

I've heard other pros say that he is crazy in the sprints, as in with his positioning, which he is great at. Being such a good technical rider has made him an even greater force to be reckoned with, especially with sprinting or on the descents.
User avatar Afrank

12 Jun 2012 12:15

and do not forget the master angry lou trick

http://forum.cyclingnews.com/showthread.php?t=15205
doperhopper

12 Jun 2012 16:18

Bushman wrote:He has really got everything. A strong physique, race intelligence, great bike handling skills and last, But not least, he seems to have mental strenght. He is a winner, But he is still humble and he has managed to keep both Of his legs on the ground (well, not When on the bike Of course ;) ).

Haven't seen a lot of that I must say.
Ryo Hazuki wrote:horrible. boonen just the same guy as years before and this course is too hard for him. that's why he rode like a coward there were at least 3 guys stronger than boonen today and none of them won: sagan, ballan, pozzato

The Hitch wrote:Goss will woop boonens candy a[color="Black"]ss[/color] in a sprint he cares about, any day of the week
User avatar El Pistolero

PreviousNext

Return to Professional road racing