Register

Garmin Sharp

A place to discuss all things related to current professional road races. Here, you can also touch on the latest news relating to professional road racing. A doping discussion free forum.

Garmin Sharp

25 Jun 2012 20:45

2 threads, and about 300 posts for SaxoTinkoff, and nary a mention of the other new name sponsor today. Garmin join with Sharp (two customer facing electronics companies, albeit in different fields: a business partnership in the brewing?) and relegate Barracuda to third-name status.

Sharp are huge, at least in the UK; one of the biggest names in domestic electronics, far greater recognisability here than any other sponsor name with the exception of Sky.

And have been happy to play big sponsorship games as well: 17 years as shirt sponsors of Manchester United. Even a fraction of that budget could fund a superteam to make any other pretender to that epithet wince.

I guess we learn more on Thursday...
"There's someone coming through the mist . . . it can't be . . . it is! .. Oh, sorry, my mistake. It isn't"
User avatar Armchair cyclist

25 Jun 2012 20:49

Armchair cyclist wrote:2 threads, and about 300 posts for SaxoTinkoff, and nary a mention of the other new name sponsor today. Garmin join with Sharp (two customer facing electronics companies, albeit in different fields: a business partnership in the brewing?) and relegate Barracuda to third-name status.

Sharp are huge, at least in the UK; one of the biggest names in domestic electronics, far greater recognisability here than any other sponsor name with the exception of Sky.

And have been happy to play big sponsorship games as well: 17 years as shirt sponsors of Manchester United. Even a fraction of that budget could fund a superteam to make any other pretender to that epithet wince.

I guess we learn more on Thursday...

And Argos, though not necessarily the same Argos :p
User avatar Richeypen

25 Jun 2012 21:15

This sponsorship deal really made me happy when it was announced. Tinkov is a rich guy who likes cycling, Sharp is a well known (in Europe at least) multinational company. Since cycling is becoming more and more widespread, therefor I think we will see more and more multinational reatail companies sponsoring cycling. That's what I hope at least.
User avatar hoerpi

25 Jun 2012 21:20

hoerpi wrote:This sponsorship deal really made me happy when it was announced. Tinkov is a rich guy who likes cycling, Sharp is a well known (in Europe at least) multinational company. Since cycling is becoming more and more widespread, therefor I think we will see more and more multinational reatail companies sponsoring cycling. That's what I hope at least.

Yes, sponsors of the Sharp variety are probably more desirable than individual rich dudes, as they indicate genuine commercial interest in advertising through the sport. It's sort of odd that in a period when there really aren't all that many commercial sponsors from outside the bike industry that Garmin has no less than three of them.
Zinoviev Letter

25 Jun 2012 21:33

Vaughters interview at VN:

[SIZE="2"][color="Navy"]VN: Presumably the deal is good for budget too, making things a little easier going forward?[/color]

[color="Black"]JV: Well, it doesn’t change our budget because when BigMat defaulted on that commitment, we were stuck in a situation where basically team owner Doug Ellis had to recapitalize. Over the next few years it will hopefully gets us into the position where we don’t have to go into debt to run the team any more. It doesn’t really change our overall budget, but it just puts us in a better position financially.[/color]

[color="Navy"]VN: How long is this deal for, and also what’s the situation with Garmin?[/color]

[color="Black"]JV: Sharp is for the rest of this year and for 2013 and 2014. As for Garmin, they are in the game long-term. [/color][/SIZE]
User avatar Machu Picchu

25 Jun 2012 21:36

Always glad to see new sponsors in the sport. Especially after some hard years where we have seen team struggle with the finances, mergers and even teams closing

Machu Picchu wrote:
[color="Black"]JV: Sharp is for the rest of this year and for 2013 and 2014. As for Garmin, they are in the game long-term. [/color][/SIZE]

The sport need more long term sponsors as Garmin and Rabobank.
User avatar Cimber

25 Jun 2012 21:40

It's good for both sides but I do find it a bit disappointing that Sharp have gone with Garmin. I was hoping they'd increase their sponsorship of the Rapha team. I wonder what will happen to them. Can you sponsor more then one team?
User avatar Izzy eviel

25 Jun 2012 21:40

I am surprised that Sharp came aboard. I still perceive cycling as a bit of a niche sport, but maybe cycling sponsorships have a better ROI than I thought.

Also, to me Vaughters just seems like a kind of manager that would connect with sponsors. I certainly get a corporate vibe from him. And finally, maybe the clean reputation makes the sponsorship more attractive as there is a lower risk of being associated with a scandal.
User avatar roundabout

25 Jun 2012 21:43

Izzy eviel wrote:It's good for both sides but I do find it a bit disappointing that Sharp have gone with Garmin. I was hoping they'd increase their sponsorship of the Rapha team. I wonder what will happen to them. Can you sponsor more then one team?

There's FDJ-BigMat and BigMat-Auber 93 in France.
User avatar roundabout

25 Jun 2012 21:48

Machu Picchu wrote:Vaughters interview at VN:

[SIZE="2"][color="Navy"]VN: Presumably the deal is good for budget too, making things a little easier going forward?[/color]

[color="Black"]JV: Well, it doesn’t change our budget because when BigMat defaulted on that commitment, we were stuck in a situation where basically team owner Doug Ellis had to recapitalize. Over the next few years it will hopefully gets us into the position where we don’t have to go into debt to run the team any more. It doesn’t really change our overall budget, but it just puts us in a better position financially.[/color]

[color="Navy"]VN: How long is this deal for, and also what’s the situation with Garmin?[/color]

That whole interview is pretty interesting, giving some details on their Tour strategy and also outlining minimum wage rises for riders.

The part about the budget that you highlighted is key though. Slipstream seem able to get these proper commercial sponsorship deals from multinational companies. But even with two big technology companies as name sponsors (and Barracuda still around too), we still are going to be talking about one of the smallest budgets in the World Tour.

So good news that a cycling team can attract real commercial sponsorship from major international companies. But bad news that sponsorship deals even from big brands at the going commercial rate are still going to produce a team with a budget way, way lower than the budgets of teams with national or rich hobbyist backing. Garmin (like Saxo Bank) seem to generally overperform for a team on their budget, but it doesn't change the fact that the commercial structure of the sport is warped by sponsors who don't really care about the market value of their investment.
Zinoviev Letter

25 Jun 2012 21:51

Izzy eviel wrote:It's good for both sides but I do find it a bit disappointing that Sharp have gone with Garmin. I was hoping they'd increase their sponsorship of the Rapha team. I wonder what will happen to them. Can you sponsor more then one team?

ISD were simultaneously connected with teams at different levels last year: I guess Rabo Continental are technically a different team from their WT big brothers. Plenty of cycling equipment companies must have multiple deals.
"There's someone coming through the mist . . . it can't be . . . it is! .. Oh, sorry, my mistake. It isn't"
User avatar Armchair cyclist

25 Jun 2012 21:55

Richeypen wrote:And Argos, though not necessarily the same Argos :p

Yeah I went and bought a telly from them after seeing their name on the jersey of Degenkolb et al.

But I kid.
Scientific Expert
User avatar taiwan

26 Jun 2012 02:45

I think it's a great combination.

Of course, for a long time Sharp was a famous sponsor of Manchester united. Could this be a message that Garmin sees themselves as the Manchester united of cycling?

TechnicalDescent

26 Jun 2012 05:30

This is awesome news that a company such as Sharp has come over to Cycling, hopefully they will look to stay with it for a long time period.
User avatar Marcus135

26 Jun 2012 05:36

Armchair cyclist wrote:2 threads, and about 300 posts for SaxoTinkoff, and nary a mention of the other new name sponsor today. Garmin join with Sharp

because JVs act is tired
User avatar Boeing

26 Jun 2012 09:19

I'm predicting a lot of Stay sharp and Looking sharp! and similar Sharp related jokes! :D
In Italy when you need a coffee you need the right barista, so you need to teach Chris [Juul Jensen] how to make the right coffee.

Lars Michaelsen during the Tinkoff-Saxo team briefing before stage 11 of the 2014 Giro d'Italia.
User avatar RedheadDane

29 Jun 2012 09:10

Noone had this up yet?

Scientific Expert
User avatar taiwan

29 Jun 2012 09:27

taiwan wrote:
Noone had this up yet?

That isn't Peter Noone. This is.

Vino love the rain. Vino love the cold. Vino love the hot. Vino not feel the difference.
User avatar happychappy

29 Jun 2012 09:30

sorry wrong mullet.
Scientific Expert
User avatar taiwan

29 Jun 2012 09:49

taiwan wrote:Image

Noone had this up yet?

That kit looks sharp! (you were right RedheadDane/GingerViking)
User avatar Fourier

Next

Return to Professional road racing