Register

Garmin Sharp

A place to discuss all things related to current professional road races. Here, you can also touch on the latest news relating to professional road racing. A doping discussion free forum.

25 Jun 2013 21:38

Anderis wrote:I would love to see Garmin trying simillar strategy to last year's USA Pro Cycling Challenge!

what strategy would that be?
Dazed and Confused

25 Jun 2013 21:43

Go and read the last link posted above my previous post. I think it's explained quite well there.
Anderis

25 Jun 2013 22:02

Garmin is focused around Dan Martin isn't it with maybe Hesjedal back involved too
User avatar manafana

25 Jun 2013 22:08

Well, if I understand correctly, they aren't focused on anyone and their strategy is to have multiple GC options in order to put other teams under pressure. They hope others will not be able to react on all of their attacks due to this.
Anderis

26 Jun 2013 01:18

Anderis wrote:I would love to see Garmin trying simillar strategy to last year's USA Pro Cycling Challenge!

That would be great, but I'm afraid those kind of tactics would be doomed to fail in the Tour de France. It's easy to implement those kind of tactics and find success through them at a race like the US pro Challenge. Where the competition isn't great, the world tour teams are much stronger, and the race is only a week long. They'll completely burn themselves out doing it at the Tour though.

Hopefully they do take an attacking approach to the mountains and decisive stages though.
User avatar Afrank

26 Jun 2013 01:19

Dazed and Confused wrote:what strategy would that be?

Attack all the time, get in breaks, and basically be a pain in the a$$ for the teams trying to control the race and keep it together. :D
User avatar Afrank

26 Jun 2013 01:27

Afrank wrote:Attack all the time, get in breaks, and basically be a pain in the a$$ for the teams trying to control the race and keep it together. :D

I think it's a strategy that can work, if nothing else for gaining new fans.
karlboss

26 Jun 2013 01:39

It can work for certain stages and situations. The tactic won't work using it to the same degree they used it to at the US pro challenge or have the same success rate as they did have with the tactic there. But in the right situation on the right stage they could find success with it. Especially if other teams and riders (GC riders) join them in it.
User avatar Afrank

26 Jun 2013 07:36

karlboss wrote:Now we just need someone to confirm the whole team one at a time, garmin last team to be announced. :(

I think the team should be announced today. :)
And if it's hard for us to wait, then imagine how the riders must be feeling!
In Italy when you need a coffee you need the right barista, so you need to teach Chris [Juul Jensen] how to make the right coffee.

Lars Michaelsen during the Tinkoff-Saxo team briefing before stage 11 of the 2014 Giro d'Italia.
User avatar RedheadDane

26 Jun 2013 14:14

the Inner Ring ‏@inrng 1m
Garmin-Sharp's Tour team: Talansky, Vande Velde, Martin, Millar, Bauer, Navardauskas, Dennis, Hesjedal + Danielson
NattyTerp

26 Jun 2013 15:42

NattyTerp wrote:the Inner Ring ‏@inrng 1m
Garmin-Sharp's Tour team: Talansky, Vande Velde, Martin, Millar, Bauer, Navardauskas, Dennis, Hesjedal + Danielson

Good to see Navardauskas in there. He and Martin are fun riders to watch.
amp300

26 Jun 2013 16:07

Talansky and Hesjedal will lead.

Martin will be a bit more free than others and will try win a stage or top 10.
Team Sky: Dauphine; Paris Nice; Romandy;[SIZE="1"][/SIZE] [SIZE="3"]Tour:[/SIZE]
2012 and 2013:D
[SIZE="3"][/SIZE]
The Hitch wrote:I think my post was the biggest epic fail in the history of the forum. I made 3 points and I was confused in all.
Lets forget it ever happened.

Ryo Hazuki wrote:I doubt any rider will start with handlebars
User avatar Ruby United

26 Jun 2013 17:07

now thats a strong team, they could really spice up things.
Sophistic82

27 Jun 2013 03:45

Sophistic82 wrote:now thats a strong team, they could really spice up things.

Arguably the strongest support team in the race for whoever ends up as their GC leader on the road. When your fifth strongest climber is someone like Danielson or Vande Velde, you know you have a very strong mountains team and they also have guys who have serious flat horse power. Although Bauer strikes me as a bit of an odd choice over Vansummeren, Zabriskie or Rasmussen.

The problem is that it's hard to see any of their prospective leaders challenging the top tier GC riders. Hopefully that means that they'll attack like mad with the likes of Martin and Navardauskas rather than have a team that deep all work for a 6th place on GC. Particularly in the absence of a sprinter.
Zinoviev Letter

27 Jun 2013 03:48

Coming into this race as underdogs in the GC race, they are looking pretty well armed. They are also well known for a strong TTT which could be a decisive stage for them.
offbyone

27 Jun 2013 04:22

Zinoviev Letter wrote:Arguably the strongest support team in the race for whoever ends up as their GC leader on the road. When your fifth strongest climber is someone like Danielson or Vande Velde, you know you have a very strong mountains team and they also have guys who have serious flat horse power. Although Bauer strikes me as a bit of an odd choice over Vansummeren, Zabriskie or Rasmussen.

The problem is that it's hard to see any of their prospective leaders challenging the top tier GC riders. Hopefully that means that they'll attack like mad with the likes of Martin and Navardauskas rather than have a team that deep all work for a 6th place on GC. Particularly in the absence of a sprinter.

True, but you still need a strong leader for a good result. I'd say a satisfactory result would be one rider in the top 10 and a stage win, along with time in breakaways. Anything better would be a huge success, hesjedal and Martin could even target KOM.
karlboss

27 Jun 2013 07:23

I don't think one rider in top10 would satisfy them. They always managed to do that (apart from 2012, when everyone crashed) even in times when they had just 2 proper climers in the team and one of them crashed (2010).

Two riders in top10 or one in top5 is what I rate as a good result for them. Hopefully they will keep their promise about being aggresive and this will pay off with some stage wins and maybe a team-classifiacation win.

And Bauer is there, because he is better time-trial rider than Van Summeren, better climber than Rasmussen and is in better shape than Zabriskie.
Anderis

27 Jun 2013 08:39

Anderis wrote:I don't think one rider in top10 would satisfy them. They always managed to do that (apart from 2012, when everyone crashed) even in times when they had just 2 proper climers in the team and one of them crashed (2010).

Two riders in top10 or one in top5 is what I rate as a good result for them. Hopefully they will keep their promise about being aggresive and this will pay off with some stage wins and maybe a team-classifiacation win.

And Bauer is there, because he is better time-trial rider than Van Summeren, better climber than Rasmussen and is in better shape than Zabriskie.

That, as well as his name. Who in their right mind would want to f@#k with Jack Bauer? :D:cool:
How to ride like a Tour champion!

proof noun (SHOWING TRUTH)

B2 [C or U] a fact or piece of information that shows that something exists or is true

http://dictionary.cambridge.org/dict...ritish/proof_1

evidence noun [U] uk /ˈev.ɪ.dəns/ us

B2 one or more reasons for believing that something is or is not true

http://dictionary.cambridge.org/dict...itish/evidence
User avatar 42x16ss

27 Jun 2013 12:01

Anderis wrote:And Bauer is there, because he is better time-trial rider than Van Summeren, better climber than Rasmussen and is in better shape than Zabriskie.

So, he's basically the perfect mix of Summie and Alex?
And not injured...

42x16ss wrote:That, as well as his name. Who in their right mind would want to f@#k with Jack Bauer? :D:cool:

Exactly! :cool: You don't wanna mess with Jack Bauer!
In Italy when you need a coffee you need the right barista, so you need to teach Chris [Juul Jensen] how to make the right coffee.

Lars Michaelsen during the Tinkoff-Saxo team briefing before stage 11 of the 2014 Giro d'Italia.
User avatar RedheadDane

27 Jun 2013 14:39

Will Navardauskas contest in the sprints? To me he seems to me like someone who could get in top 15 in the flat sprints, and top 5-10 in the medium mountains stages the first week?

Am I right in my summary=? :)
Steady

PreviousNext

Return to Professional road racing