Register

Froome Talk Only

The Clinic is the only place on Cyclingnews where you can discuss doping-related issues. Ask questions, discuss positives or improvements to procedures.

Moderators: Eshnar, King Boonen, Red Rick, Pricey_sky

Re:

13 Jul 2018 16:33

LaFlorecita wrote:It's hard to compare road stages with tests so it would be best to look at MTTs. But he hasn't done too many MTTs of around 20 minutes, all uphill. Estimated 7 W/kg for 11.5 minutes on the prologue of 2016 Dauphiné, actual numbers probably higher as it included 350m flat/slight downhill at the end. Of course, it's hard to replicate the normally ideal circumstances of a test, not to mention that those tests are done just before the Tour at which point a rider's shape should be better than during the prep races.

Edit: 7.5 W/kg for 7 minutes on Malhao in 2016, 7.5 W/kg for 7 minutes on Gaintza in 2014. Both shorter efforts but at the end of a stage.

Bertie's performances over the years:
1 performance really stands out. He apparently did that in training. Apparently
SeriousSam wrote: Peña Cabarga is like Froome's Mount Doom, the place where his great power was forged into fearsome weapon. He was never going to lose here
User avatar silvergrenade

Re: Re:

13 Jul 2018 16:48

silvergrenade wrote:
LaFlorecita wrote:It's hard to compare road stages with tests so it would be best to look at MTTs. But he hasn't done too many MTTs of around 20 minutes, all uphill. Estimated 7 W/kg for 11.5 minutes on the prologue of 2016 Dauphiné, actual numbers probably higher as it included 350m flat/slight downhill at the end. Of course, it's hard to replicate the normally ideal circumstances of a test, not to mention that those tests are done just before the Tour at which point a rider's shape should be better than during the prep races.

Edit: 7.5 W/kg for 7 minutes on Malhao in 2016, 7.5 W/kg for 7 minutes on Gaintza in 2014. Both shorter efforts but at the end of a stage.

Bertie's performances over the years:
1 performance really stands out. He apparently did that in training. Apparently

Is it that strange that a performance at the end of a stage and in some cases halfway through a GT is worse than in a 20 minute test? Not sure why you want it to be fake so badly.
PS those are estimated numbers
User avatar LaFlorecita
Veteran

13 Jul 2018 17:31

silvergrenade wrote:
Froomster wrote:There's no need to panic. It's only the first week. The Dawg visited his doctor overnight, so all is well.

Who's panicking? :lol:
Plus I don't think he needs that many for asthma. One would do. Don't think he has a private jet either.

That's a hilarious pic!

Froome's on the new asthma protocol and uses one of those per day. Don't worry though, it's all within his own unique variation and all is good!
User avatar Ripper

13 Jul 2018 17:54

Ripper wrote:
silvergrenade wrote:
Froomster wrote:There's no need to panic. It's only the first week. The Dawg visited his doctor overnight, so all is well.

Plus I don't think he needs that many for asthma. One would do. Don't think he has a private jet either.

That's a hilarious pic!

Froome's on the new asthma protocol and uses one of those per day. Don't worry though, it's all within his own unique variation and all is good!

Yeah hoping he puts a 100 km solo on the new medication and puts 30 mins on Porte while 1 hour on Nibs et al.
:p
SeriousSam wrote: Peña Cabarga is like Froome's Mount Doom, the place where his great power was forged into fearsome weapon. He was never going to lose here
User avatar silvergrenade

13 Jul 2018 20:36

I think much of the discrepancy of 20 min. vs. FTP comes from the fact that FTP is not precisely defined. E.g., one of the links BB posted described it as 45-60 min. They're not the same. Pinot posted power for both times, and while they're close, 60 minutes is consistently lower.

It will also depend on the type of rider, of course, but Pinot and Froome would obviously be much better comps for Contador than some club rider.

Anyway, in this conversation should be Froome and Porte up the Madone, about a thirty minute climb, and as I recall the W/kg values were around 6.8-6.9.
Merckx index

14 Jul 2018 00:39

silvergrenade wrote:
Ripper wrote:
silvergrenade wrote:

That's a hilarious pic!

Yeah hoping he puts a 100 km solo on the new medication and puts 30 mins on Porte while 1 hour on Nibs et al.
:p

Ok, that picture is humorous.
User avatar Koronin

15 Jul 2018 07:03

I'm rooting for the pave...
ChewbaccaDefense

Re: Froome Talk Only

15 Jul 2018 14:42

More extraterrestrial fun coming: Froome thinking about the Vuelta THIS year. :lol:

http://www.cyclingnews.com/news/chris-froome-could-ride-vuelta-a-espana-in-august/

All three grand tours in one year, five in a row. All cleans. :D
User avatar JosephK

Re:

15 Jul 2018 14:49

ChewbaccaDefense wrote:I'm rooting for the pave...

try again next time.
pastronef

15 Jul 2018 16:04

pastronef wrote:

try again next time.

Sooner or later, every donkey will have his day.
ChewbaccaDefense

15 Jul 2018 16:13

If Froome wins this Tour and then the Vuelta, and I think he will, does he enter the record books as the greatest GT racer of all time? From donkey to GOAT...
Nighttrain99

15 Jul 2018 16:54

Nighttrain99 wrote:If Froome wins this Tour and then the Vuelta, and I think he will, does he enter the record books as the greatest GT racer of all time? From donkey to GOAT...

I think he will too, and that will make 5 GT's in a row. That would make him the greatest athlete in the history of mankind, which is why anyone who believes he is cleans is so clearly mentally deficient.
ChewbaccaDefense

15 Jul 2018 17:05

If he does that it will make a total farce out of the sport.
User avatar Koronin

Re:

15 Jul 2018 17:31

Koronin wrote:If he does that it will make a total farce out of the sport.

In a sense, that's been happening since the Vuelta in 2011. But with WADEFFA's call on the AAF, Froome now has carte blanche to do whatever he's previously been doing for grand tour preparation, times infinity. No limits, now.
Last edited by JosephK on 15 Jul 2018 17:44, edited 1 time in total.
User avatar JosephK

15 Jul 2018 17:35

Nighttrain99 wrote:If Froome wins this Tour and then the Vuelta, and I think he will, does he enter the record books as the greatest GT racer of all time? From donkey to GOAT...

A definitive yes. And to erase any doubt, we'll see the triple next year, too, and the year after.
User avatar JosephK

15 Jul 2018 17:37

ChewbaccaDefense wrote:
pastronef wrote:

try again next time.

Sooner or later, every donkey will have his day.

he had his day twice already. Tour 2014, broken wrist. Vuelta 2015 broken foot. and he lost Vueltas to Quintana and Contador
pastronef

Re:

15 Jul 2018 17:42

When was it anything other than a farce? Serious question. When was this hallowed age of clean athleticism in GT cycling? Gid Festina not happen? Did Armstrong not happen? Is his real crime that he makes it too obvious?

Business as usual as far as I can tell.
(Warning: Posts may contain traces of irony)
User avatar macbindle

15 Jul 2018 18:20

macbindle wrote:

When was it anything other than a farce? Serious question. When was this hallowed age of clean athleticism in GT cycling?

Did Festina not happen? Did Armstrong not happen?

Is his real crime that he makes it too obvious?

For me, Froome is no better no worse than any of the others in the past or present. It’s not like a pro athlete should serve as anyone’s moral compass (boyhood lesson from my Dad). I’m not inspired to emulate Froome’s janky style on a bike but it obviously works exceedingly well for him. Sky’s big budget, too big to fail status with the UCI, and hypocritical preaching of clean cycling rubs me like a saddle sore. Brailsford’s snarkiness is good theater, though.

In terms of doping in cycling some feel that the adoption of oxygen vector drugs took it to a less acceptable level. That’s not good logic just the perception amongst the cyclists and fans I hang with. It feels like when Hank Aaron’s homerun record in MLB fell to obviously supercharged athletes.
Nighttrain99

15 Jul 2018 18:27

The fear of five in a row, I love it.

There's one voice round here who, when Riis suggested Bert could do the triple in 2010, declaimed loudly and proudly that it was physically impossible, even with drugs. Would never happen. Ever.

Now look at the world. It's practically taken as a given and people are planning for its aftermath.
User avatar fmk_RoI

Re:

15 Jul 2018 18:37

Chris Horner has already paved the way. I can't think of anything more farcical than me riding double up some mountains.
User avatar the delgados

PreviousNext

Return to The Clinic