Register

Froome Talk Only

The Clinic is the only place on Cyclingnews where you can discuss doping-related issues. Ask questions, discuss positives or improvements to procedures.

Moderators: Eshnar, King Boonen, Red Rick, Pricey_sky

01 Nov 2018 15:44

He's racing Giro de Rigo on Sunday
samhocking

Re: Froome Talk Only

01 Nov 2018 17:26

Robert5091 wrote:
MartinGT wrote:https://twitter.com/chrisfroome/status/1057974572279087106

Hope he doesnt have any issue like his old pal Sergio

So he's going to Colombia to ....? Meet Rigoberto? Stay at altitude until July? :D

Edit- see he's off to the US to meet some buddies -
https://www.bestbuddieschallenge.org/miami/event-overview/
Join cycling legends Chris Froome, George Hincapie, and Christian Vande Velde on Friday, November 16, 2018!

I think you missed who are really the BESTBUDDIES.....
CTQ

01 Nov 2018 21:41

I was n't knocking the charity ("The IDD community that Best Buddies serves includes, but is not limited to, people with Down Syndrome, Autism, Fragile X, Williams Syndrome, Cerebral Palsy, traumatic brain injury and other undiagnosed disabilities.") just surprised by Froome's riding "buddies".
"Are you going to believe me or what you see with your own eyes?"

“It doesn’t matter what I do. People need to hear what I have to say. There’s no one else who can say what I can say. It doesn’t matter what I live.”
User avatar Robert5091

10 Nov 2018 00:38

So.....

The Magic Kenyan wants another 5 years of racing........ is it a warning to "G" & Benal? :D
or is it too much greed? See- I laughed at some folks here commenting that Froome is (((fading))) when in reality he's actually getting much more stronger, based on his back-to-back GT winning & performances over the last 2 years - yes- his explosiveness has diminished, but when a rider pulls a "nuclear Giro" and "pretends" to be tired at the Tour to keep appearances after his AAF debacle, then anything is possible.....

I truly feel bad for G, but specially for Bernal- whose ambitions will be plundered to shape him as a mere "super domestique" for the next five years of his contract.........
User avatar hfer07
Veteran

10 Nov 2018 01:27

hfer07 wrote:So.....

The Magic Kenyan wants another 5 years of racing........ is it a warning to "G" & Benal? :D
or is it too much greed? See- I laughed at some folks here commenting that Froome is (((fading))) when in reality he's actually getting much more stronger, based on his back-to-back GT winning & performances over the last 2 years - yes- his explosiveness has diminished, but when a rider pulls a "nuclear Giro" and "pretends" to be tired at the Tour to keep appearances after his AAF debacle, then anything is possible.....

I truly feel bad for G, but specially for Bernal- whose ambitions will be plundered to shape him as a mere "super domestique" for the next five years of his contract.........

G should have known and should have gone elsewhere as he's had that chance more than once now. Bernal I do feel bad for because he'll never have a chance. Although, I've questioned rather he'd actually ever get a real chance at Sky to begin with.
User avatar Koronin

10 Nov 2018 07:10

hfer07 wrote:So.....

"Pretends to be tired at the Tour""

Seriously :confused:

I suppose it is the off season so I can kind of understand why you'd be tempted to just make sh#t up for the sake of debate. :rolleyes:
brownbobby

10 Nov 2018 11:03

Unfortunately, with this particular poster the tendency to make **** up about riders he does not like is not limited to off -season.
User avatar roundabout
Veteran

10 Nov 2018 11:03

Sounds like Bernal will be given leadership along with Thomas at Giro and then Thomas will be given leadership with Froome at Tour with support from Bernal according to Portal. The randomness of injury and illness etc could see that plan completely on its head of course, but Bernal Moscon are chasing hard on the heals of Froome & Thomas. Paulo Bettini and Ivan Basso's comments about Moscon being Italy's next GT winner was interesting I thought the other day.
samhocking

10 Nov 2018 14:19

Did Sothern Africa tighten up doping controls?
Did Froome swap continent this winter?
User avatar TourOfSardinia
Veteran

Re:

10 Nov 2018 14:52

TourOfSardinia wrote:Did Sothern Africa tighten up doping controls?
Did Froome swap continent this winter?

tranqui, before Colombia I think he'll travel there for some forum banter. or maybe after.
pastronef

10 Nov 2018 15:27

Nah, because he is looking for 5 more years at the top, he's going to visit Óscar Sevilla to find out the secret of how he still looks and acts so young, hoping we're not talking Erzsebet Bathory.
User avatar Libertine Seguros
Veteran

10 Nov 2018 16:06

In 2013 he was talking about another seven years for the Tour alone:
“I’ve got my goals, and personally where I want my career to go is to target the Tour, not just this year but for the next six or seven years. I am driven by that goal, not from a fame point of view.”
To now be talking about another five years of top level riding - which is not necessarily winning the Tour - isn't that out of whack with his earlier comment.
User avatar fmk_RoI

10 Nov 2018 16:54

2020 would be 7 years. I would imagine with comments about classics he will spend his last 2-3 years having fun in them, the world's and Olympics perhaps that are difficult to do within a GT year to the very best preparation-wise.
samhocking

10 Nov 2018 19:53

http://www.cyclingnews.com/news/chris-froome-believes-he-can-race-for-five-more-years/
The man trains so hard he'll be around for at least an another decade ...
"Are you going to believe me or what you see with your own eyes?"

“It doesn’t matter what I do. People need to hear what I have to say. There’s no one else who can say what I can say. It doesn’t matter what I live.”
User avatar Robert5091

11 Nov 2018 00:04

Froome will be 34 next year. In the past 95 years, only Evans has won a TDF having reached that age upon entering it--a Tour decimated by injuries to most of the contenders, and in which the strongest rider was dealing with previously having won the the Giro--and he never won another one. Yet people think Froome is going to kill Bernal's career? Seriously?

I wonder how many people believe Tom Brady, when he says he plans to play till he's 45, or believed (the now apparently retired) Ichiro, who once said he wanted to play till he was 50.
Merckx index

11 Nov 2018 00:27

People say what they need to stay project strength or to stay relevant, or whatever.

I think last year Federer said he was better than ever. It was hilarious.
Veni, Vidi, Kirby

I came, I saw, I was dead wrong as per usual
User avatar Red Rick
Administrator

11 Nov 2018 04:10

Merckx index wrote:Froome will be 34 next year. In the past 95 years, only Evans has won a TDF having reached that age upon entering it--a Tour decimated by injuries to most of the contenders, and in which the strongest rider was dealing with previously having won the the Giro--and he never won another one. Yet people think Froome is going to kill Bernal's career? Seriously?

I wonder how many people believe Tom Brady, when he says he plans to play till he's 45, or believed (the now apparently retired) Ichiro, who once said he wanted to play till he was 50.

Totally with you.

Age trumps euphoria and anomaly ... when it comes to GTs. Old guys can rip off the odd stage and 1 day races ... but ain't gonna happen over 21 days.

As Mike says … "Everyone talks tough til they get punched in the face."
Alpe73

11 Nov 2018 10:30

Is the dropoff that sudden at 34? Froome at 33 just had the best last 12 months of GT performances so far in his entire career didn't he? Evans at 33 hadn't, so no comparison. He will begin to fade, but there should be time for 1 or 2 more Tour De France podiums I would think.
samhocking

Re:

11 Nov 2018 11:05

samhocking wrote:Is the dropoff that sudden at 34? Froome at 33 just had the best last 12 months of GT performances so far in his entire career didn't he? Evans at 33 hadn't, so no comparison. He will begin to fade, but there should be time for 1 or 2 more Tour De France podiums I would think.

I wouldn't say it's that sudden, but more that a 1% difference is much more significant when you're walking a fine line between thin wins and thin losses than a 2% difference when you're head and shoulders above the rest anyway.

While his results in 2017/2018 have included the best 12 month stretch of his career, I don't think he's at the highest level he's ever been. The only argument for that in my opinion would be Finestre 2019, and I think that stage is more circumstance than anything else, and the Froome of 2013 or PSM 2015 could have easily done that as well.

And there's also a change of guard. The likes of Dumoulin, Roglic and Yates have been closing the gap. I think the time of Tour wins over the likes of Bardet and Uran is over.
Veni, Vidi, Kirby

I came, I saw, I was dead wrong as per usual
User avatar Red Rick
Administrator

Re: Re:

11 Nov 2018 11:21

Red Rick wrote:
samhocking wrote:Is the dropoff that sudden at 34? Froome at 33 just had the best last 12 months of GT performances so far in his entire career didn't he? Evans at 33 hadn't, so no comparison. He will begin to fade, but there should be time for 1 or 2 more Tour De France podiums I would think.

I wouldn't say it's that sudden, but more that a 1% difference is much more significant when you're walking a fine line between thin wins and thin losses than a 2% difference when you're head and shoulders above the rest anyway.

While his results in 2017/2018 have included the best 12 month stretch of his career, I don't think he's at the highest level he's ever been. The only argument for that in my opinion would be Finestre 2019, and I think that stage is more circumstance than anything else, and the Froome of 2013 or PSM 2015 could have easily done that as well.

And there's also a change of guard. The likes of Dumoulin, Roglic and Yates have been closing the gap. I think the time of Tour wins over the likes of Bardet and Uran is over.

Yep ... all valid and convincing points.
Alpe73

PreviousNext

Return to The Clinic