Log in:  

Register

74ª Volta a Portugal 15/08 to 26/08

A place to discuss all things related to current professional road races. Here, you can also touch on the latest news relating to professional road racing. A doping discussion free forum.

01 Aug 2012 21:41

oh boy,,,is atapuma coming?!

nuno,we have a problem!
Vino 4ever
User avatar jens_attacks
Senior Member
 
Posts: 12,443
Joined: 08 Sep 2009 18:00

01 Aug 2012 22:47

Ricardo Mestre will be very likely the winner again, it's the n1 contender. Foreign cyclists doing this race for the first time doesn't know how hard this race is, Atapuma can do well on the climbs, but honestly i can't see him winning.
User avatar FujiAnton
Junior Member
 
Posts: 76
Joined: 18 Feb 2011 13:52

02 Aug 2012 13:12

Wow first time since Hector Guerra ( :mad: ) that I will pull for a foreigner to win the best stages of the damn thing: Atapuma! Still, for the overall I wouldn't mind seeing Mestre win again. Seems like a very humble guy; a lot like Ribeiro before suspension :D

@Libertine: I can find another positive. We still have a race even with all the financial troubles :)

About the route:
Prologue - a bit too short I think, they could have at least doubled it.
Stage 1 - if the heat is on we'll probably see someone get dropped hard on those small climbs.
Stage 4 - I want Serra do Alvão! And I'm also tired of Sra. da Graça. What about a finish in Ermelo? They could probably use Marão on the run in and then the finish is 3.5km@7%. It would be something different at least.
Stage 7 - The finish is supposed to be quite hard. It remains to be seen.
Stage 8 - I just hope there isn't headwind on the climb. It's a typical stage of the Volta but I would like to see a different approach. Perhaps Seia and Covilhã as somewhat early climbs and then in the end the climb from Unhais da Serra to the Torre. This side of the climb has a sterrato sector and the final part (~5km) is the same as from Covilhã with the famous tunnel.
Stage 9 - Probably there'll be tail to cross wind so that will probably reduce the differences that a specialist could do, right?
Stage 10 - There are probably a hundred short-very steep climbs in that city. At least put a couple of them there and you can still finish on the Avenida da Liberdade. This stage should be like a Tour de Flanders without the cobbles. Or Monsanto at least.

Looking forward to see Atapuma, Reus, Rafael Reis. Although with the amount of wind we have these last couple of months, it can turn into a bordures race :D
User avatar trevim
Senior Member
 
Posts: 4,392
Joined: 26 Oct 2010 09:40
Location: Portugal

03 Aug 2012 08:10

trevim wrote:
@Libertine: I can find another positive. We still have a race even with all the financial troubles :)



Indeed, Joaquim Gomes does a good, and very difficult, job..

Still, I would like to see the format of the race change a bit, to a more conventional one week race.
We have the potential to really nice routes. Hilly stages, mountain stages, cobbles..you name it. The lack of funding limits the choices of the organization. I guess Benfica should return, to improve funding.. :p

I guess they can't remove Sra da Graça because Celorico de Basto pays a lot for that stage, even though it is really overused.

Still, the field has surprised me :) .
birthmark
Junior Member
 
Posts: 21
Joined: 08 Feb 2012 18:25

06 Aug 2012 13:58

Waterloo Sunrise wrote:Whoever wins should write a cheque to whichever sadsack failed to give endura a wildcard.

Only suits can deny JTL.

Suits and constant injuries.


jtl would get owned by coldeportes

very interesting will be the team of funvic. the richest team in latin america. looking forward to magno praod and gregory panizzo.
User avatar Ryo Hazuki
Senior Member
 
Posts: 15,534
Joined: 31 Mar 2010 13:50

12 Aug 2012 19:40

trevim wrote: Stage 7 - The finish is supposed to be quite hard. It remains to be seen.


Is it?
Looking at the profile I can't figure out why to be honest...?
User avatar Ruvu75
Junior Member
 
Posts: 90
Joined: 28 Aug 2011 07:53
Location: Netherlands

12 Aug 2012 20:05

Ruvu75 wrote:Is it?
Looking at the profile I can't figure out why to be honest...?


Gomes had talked of an uphill finish in Sabugal, and the original profile had a ludicrous glitch that jumped about 150m in under a kilometre, a rise that exists nowhere at all around Sabugal itself. Therefore, the understanding was that there was an uphill finish, but it was not clear how difficult it was going to be as we didn't have a last-kms-profile or detailed map of the finish, and only had the glitched profile to go on.

Now, the last 2km will have a bit of a hill in them, but nothing that will trouble all but the most miserably bad of climbers.

This is pretty miserable though, it confirms the route is actually even worse than anticipated. It's like there are two climbs, a TT and nothing else. The uphill finish in Guarda is gone, and has been replaced by nothing. The cobbled climb of Gouveia after the big climb of Penhas Douradas has gone, and has been replaced by nothing. The cat.2 finish at Monte Assunção has gone, and has been replaced by nothing. The stage to Monte Farinha is a one-climb stage, which the climb isn't really hard enough to be. It's a good climb, but needs something like Monte do Viso or the Alto Campanhó to lead in to it - this also usually means good racing as it's short enough to tempt riders to attack on the penultimate climb. That's how Hernâni Broco got into the GC mix in 2010.

It seems the race is sadly going the way of the Volta a Catalunya; bank everything on one or two stages, and have the rest just be holding station. Maybe they're hoping Sergio Ribeiro can make the podium and remind us all of that f***ing joke that was Cândido Barbosa in 2007.

I know Gomes has had to work hard to even produce a race this last few years, but come on, are you really meaning to say that this is all they could do? Just off the top of my head with two minutes, I offer this suggestion to make stage 5 into an actually relevant one:
Going from Armamar, instead of turning west along the river at Castro Daire, continue south to São Pedro do Sul. Then head to the north over the extremely difficult Alto de São Macário (when staying on the main road not doing the last few hundred metres up to the chapel it's 9,2km @ 9,1%), descending towards Arouca. You could have the same cat.3 climb as they have in the race as the run in (and then not have the extra lap around the finish, to make the run-in harder and easier for breaks to escape and tempt GC men to attack), or you could leave Arouca and double back on yourself to climb the Serra da Freita, which would probably be another cat.1 climb (about 12km @ 6%), before descending down to have about 10km flat before the slight uphill rise to the finish.
User avatar Libertine Seguros
Senior Member
 
Posts: 15,331
Joined: 20 Feb 2010 11:54
Location: Land of Saíz

12 Aug 2012 20:06

Ruvu75 wrote:Is it?
Looking at the profile I can't figure out why to be honest...?

It's supposed to be an hard hill top finish.
User avatar trevim
Senior Member
 
Posts: 4,392
Joined: 26 Oct 2010 09:40
Location: Portugal

12 Aug 2012 21:23

trevim wrote:It's supposed to be an hard hill top finish.


Revised (amended) profile says it's just an inconsequential rise, nothing challenging at all.


Anyhow.

Here is the official profile for stage 5:
Image

Here's the profile of my proposed alterations to it:
Image
User avatar Libertine Seguros
Senior Member
 
Posts: 15,331
Joined: 20 Feb 2010 11:54
Location: Land of Saíz

12 Aug 2012 22:30

Libertine Seguros wrote:Gomes had talked of an uphill finish in Sabugal, and the original profile had a ludicrous glitch that jumped about 150m in under a kilometre, a rise that exists nowhere at all around Sabugal itself. Therefore, the understanding was that there was an uphill finish, but it was not clear how difficult it was going to be as we didn't have a last-kms-profile or detailed map of the finish, and only had the glitched profile to go on.

Now, the last 2km will have a bit of a hill in them, but nothing that will trouble all but the most miserably bad of climbers.

This is pretty miserable though, it confirms the route is actually even worse than anticipated. It's like there are two climbs, a TT and nothing else. The uphill finish in Guarda is gone, and has been replaced by nothing. The cobbled climb of Gouveia after the big climb of Penhas Douradas has gone, and has been replaced by nothing. The cat.2 finish at Monte Assunção has gone, and has been replaced by nothing. The stage to Monte Farinha is a one-climb stage, which the climb isn't really hard enough to be. It's a good climb, but needs something like Monte do Viso or the Alto Campanhó to lead in to it - this also usually means good racing as it's short enough to tempt riders to attack on the penultimate climb. That's how Hernâni Broco got into the GC mix in 2010.

It seems the race is sadly going the way of the Volta a Catalunya; bank everything on one or two stages, and have the rest just be holding station. Maybe they're hoping Sergio Ribeiro can make the podium and remind us all of that f***ing joke that was Cândido Barbosa in 2007.

I know Gomes has had to work hard to even produce a race this last few years, but come on, are you really meaning to say that this is all they could do? Just off the top of my head with two minutes, I offer this suggestion to make stage 5 into an actually relevant one:
Going from Armamar, instead of turning west along the river at Castro Daire, continue south to São Pedro do Sul. Then head to the north over the extremely difficult Alto de São Macário (when staying on the main road not doing the last few hundred metres up to the chapel it's 9,2km @ 9,1%), descending towards Arouca. You could have the same cat.3 climb as they have in the race as the run in (and then not have the extra lap around the finish, to make the run-in harder and easier for breaks to escape and tempt GC men to attack), or you could leave Arouca and double back on yourself to climb the Serra da Freita, which would probably be another cat.1 climb (about 12km @ 6%), before descending down to have about 10km flat before the slight uphill rise to the finish.


do you ever say anything possible ever?
User avatar Ryo Hazuki
Senior Member
 
Posts: 15,534
Joined: 31 Mar 2010 13:50

12 Aug 2012 22:33

Ryo Hazuki wrote:do you ever say anything possible ever?


Not about routes that don't merit anything positive being said about them, no.

Where are the difficult stages here? Stage 1 should be pretty good, but then it's a one-climb 8km sprint up Senhora da Graça, an ITT and the always-awesome Torre. But everything else is just spinning the wheels. Feels like the 2011 Volta a Catalunya - a climb to Pal and six sprints of varying degrees of mild uphill.
User avatar Libertine Seguros
Senior Member
 
Posts: 15,331
Joined: 20 Feb 2010 11:54
Location: Land of Saíz

13 Aug 2012 10:38

there are reasons for that. economic crisis
User avatar Ryo Hazuki
Senior Member
 
Posts: 15,534
Joined: 31 Mar 2010 13:50

13 Aug 2012 20:40

if Machado was here he would win by 10+ min plus
User avatar iZnoGouD
Junior Member
 
Posts: 1,251
Joined: 18 Feb 2011 21:39

14 Aug 2012 19:11

User avatar Ruvu75
Junior Member
 
Posts: 90
Joined: 28 Aug 2011 07:53
Location: Netherlands

14 Aug 2012 19:32

Ruvu75 wrote:Startinglist


Running through it, I can find at least on change in relation the the provisional list above. And I applaude it...Jordi Simon is coming after all.
User avatar canyonball
Junior Member
 
Posts: 680
Joined: 17 Oct 2010 18:34

14 Aug 2012 20:08

Really looks like a two horse race of the home teams... unless João Cabreira's back on the sauce I see this as Efapel vs. Carmim. LA-Antarte look comparatively weak now they've lost Broco, though I hope José João Mendes is back in the sort of form he was 3 years back, because he'll do his best to make the meagre opportunities to attack stick. Of the top two teams the rider that intrigues me most is Amaro Antunes - he won the Volta do Futuro a couple of years with some killer performances on the Alto Montejunto and on the stage into Arouca over the big, bad São Macário climb that we've been begging for inclusion in the race constantly since.

Worth noting for those that don't pay much attention to the Portuguese péloton, though - the João Correia on LA-Antarte is not the 35 year-old neo-pro from Cervélo a couple of years ago, but an entirely different João Correia.

I am intrigued by the Funvic lineup, hopefully this is their more competitive lineup (I remember when the Scott-Marcondés César-São José dos Campos team was Pro-Conti a couple of years ago, they had a tendency to send their second-stringers to some of the biggest races they went to, and some of the only ones in Europe, keeping their best riders in South America).

I am kind of disappointed at the Caja Rural lineup, more because all their Portuguese are in La Vuelta than anything else. There had been talk of putting Hernâni Broco in A Volta as his recovery seemed to be comparatively limited, but instead they've gone all out with all their big GC talents in La Vuelta and A Volta gets a sort of odds-and-ends lineup. Nevertheless there are a couple who should be interesting - Moyano and Ferrari for starters, while Garikoitz Bravo (who the organisers keep insisting on calling Bravo Garikoitz) was the Best Young Rider at last year's race.

Excellent to see Burgos and Orbea here, a positive of not clashing with Burgos this year. Maybe they should keep this format into next year when the Vuelta won't be so early. Just a shame it clashes with Denmark still, if that was early in the month like it normally would be we could have had Christina Watches here, which could have been spicy. Anyhow, I like Brandão being Burgos' leader, and watch out for Moisés Dueñas - he came back from suspension with elite amateur team Supermercados Froiz (one of Spain's biggest), and was picked up off the scrapheap last month, going straight from signing on July 24th to the top 10 of the Prueba Villafranca de Ordizia the next day; has followed that with some OK showings in Burgos and good results in León, so he's in decent form too.

The Coldeportes team is strong. Tragic that the route only gives them one stage to really showcase what they can do (the Mondim de Basto stage doesn't accumulate enough climbing to really let them use what they have in my opinion, as it will be comparatively easy to limit losses over the 8km of climbing this way). But if they're in any sort of form, they could really ruin a lot of people's hopes on the way to the Alto da Torre. I also really want to see Kai Reus do well for UHC.

Also of curio value will be the Lokosphinx guys - Shilov and Shalunov in particular - and Reinardt Janse van Rensburg. How they transition to long stage races will be interesting to say the least. Shalunov and Janse van Rensburg are overdue a step up, Shilov has a suspension in his back pocket already which might make people wary, but he's shown reasonable climbing and good TT skills in the Vuelta a Asturias the last couple of years.
User avatar Libertine Seguros
Senior Member
 
Posts: 15,331
Joined: 20 Feb 2010 11:54
Location: Land of Saíz

14 Aug 2012 20:47

great post libertine.

Riders i can't wait to see:

Amaro Antunes
Ricardo Vilela (he is only 25)
Joni Brandão
Rafael Reis


there are ofc other riders to keep an eye on but this 4 are imo the ones that can shine, mostly the first 3
User avatar Parrulo
Senior Member
 
Posts: 10,197
Joined: 05 Aug 2010 01:42

14 Aug 2012 21:02

I would have to add to that list Pedro Paulinho. He has shown he can fight for the win among the Elite's. António Carvalho too. It would be fantastic if one of the guy's from the portuguese national team could score a stage.
User avatar canyonball
Junior Member
 
Posts: 680
Joined: 17 Oct 2010 18:34

14 Aug 2012 21:15

let's hope candido will make an appearance again on the podium _o_

as always,looking forward to the volta
Vino 4ever
User avatar jens_attacks
Senior Member
 
Posts: 12,443
Joined: 08 Sep 2009 18:00

14 Aug 2012 23:55

jens_attacks wrote:let's hope candido will make an appearance again on the podium _o_

as always,looking forward to the volta

He has appeared on the teams presentation so there's a big chance he'll be on the podiums too :) I always cheered for him and he always failed but well I have a soft spot for guys that aren't climbers trying to climb.
User avatar trevim
Senior Member
 
Posts: 4,392
Joined: 26 Oct 2010 09:40
Location: Portugal

PreviousNext

Return to Professional road racing

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Asero831, blaxland, SeriousSam and 60 guests

Back to top