Register

JV talks, sort of

The Clinic is the only place on Cyclingnews where you can discuss doping-related issues. Ask questions, discuss positives or improvements to procedures.

Moderators: Eshnar, King Boonen, Red Rick, Pricey_sky

10 Jul 2013 08:35

LesCombes wrote:In the early days of SRM, some domestiques held a small unit which collected specific SRM data of rival teams. Just pick up their ANT signal and there you have it. Including heart rates, you name it.

I assume that's no longer possible these days, but don't underestimate the data they have in their hands.

Really?

SRM was all wired until a 2008, 20 years after it was founded
User avatar Race Radio
Veteran

10 Jul 2013 08:41

thehog wrote:In a galaxy far far away there's the results of a test. Switzerland. Aigle. The dawg's numbers under lock and key.

JV said so. Apparently the numbers unlock the secret of the Dawg.

The legend of Dawg.

Here's some numbers.

Jonathan Vaughters
RT @ammattipyoraily: @Vaughters Chris Froome: 38 min 22 sec, 22.75 Kph, VAM 1605 m/h, 5.93 W/kg....Once again, 5.9 w/kg.

Paul Jakma
@Vaughters @ammattipyoraily You can't say people are cleaner with these figures, only that, IF there's still doping, they're being clever.

Jonathan Vaughters
@pjakma @ammattipyoraily Being clever by riding more slowly?

Paul Jakma
@Vaughters Yes. By staying plausible. Just a tiny tiny boost over the best "naturals" could be enough. @ammattipyoraily
Details

Jonathan Vaughters
@pjakma @ammattipyoraily Get your point. My point is this: 5.9 is plausible and possible for a highly talented and well trained rider.
sniper
Veteran

10 Jul 2013 14:10

Race Radio wrote:Really?

Yes, really! This is the actual device they were using back in the days (mini antenna not pictured):

Mr.38%

10 Jul 2013 16:11

So Dan Martin is about 6 minutes behind Froome after one MTF and a short ITT

JV your clean guys are getting destroyed. This is like Armstrong all over again
Please say something more than "i just dont know"
User avatar the sceptic
Veteran

10 Jul 2013 16:15

the sceptic wrote:So Dan Martin is about 6 minutes behind Froome after one MTF and a short ITT

JV is happy. He's said that plenty of times.
And why wouldn't he be?
He's the laughing third in all this. Garmin might get their asses kicked on a day like this, but they're getting more than enough wins to keep the sponsors happy. And without raising any eyebrowes. As if Hesjedal 2012 never happened.
sniper
Veteran

10 Jul 2013 16:20

the sceptic wrote:So Dan Martin is about 6 minutes behind Froome after one MTF and a short ITT

I understand the temptation to call things armstrong-esque lately, but its just not true. We may have one guy 3:30 ahead of the rest, or 6' ahead of the "barometer", but thats just it. One guy in the vanguard. Everyone else is scattered appropriately in the results. Even in a 100% clean peleton, the Dan Martins and Talanskys of the world will be a few minutes off by now, they're just not that good.
More Strides than Rides

10 Jul 2013 16:58

Yeah it aint like JV has not been here before.

If he wasn't happy wouldn't he tell his 12 mates in here ;)
"ahaha, ever had the feeling you been cheated?" JL SF Jan'78.

Jean Dubuffet: "For me, insanity is super sanity. The normal psychotic. Normal means lack of imagination, lack of creativity."
User avatar Benotti69
Veteran

11 Jul 2013 15:15

Shannon Sovndal thinks cyclists are an "impressive feat of physiology and medicine".
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pkXt104wIws
(1min25)
that's reassuring.
seriously, can't we throw those doctors out?
sniper
Veteran

11 Jul 2013 15:50

LesCombes wrote:... Just pick up their ANT signal and there you have it. Including heart rates, you name it.

Further to Race Radio's comment, nope. Unless you are talking about seeing it in a movie, the communication protocol doesn't work like that.
User avatar DirtyWorks
Veteran

11 Jul 2013 19:26

DirtyWorks wrote:Further to Race Radio's comment, nope. Unless you are talking about seeing it in a movie, the communication protocol doesn't work like that.

Not to mention the fact that if you have to be close enough to the targeted rider for that contraption to work, what more do you need to know other than you're keeping up with him?
[color="Blue"]Why would you expect athletes to be role models that represent paragons of virtue that are somehow different from most other people in other professions?[/color] -Paul Scott

[color="Sienna"]There was so much evidence staring everybody in the face and yet so many people wanted to believe the beautiful lie, rather than the ugly truth.[/color] -Alex Gibney
User avatar Fatclimber

13 Jul 2013 09:33

sniper wrote:JV is happy. He's said that plenty of times.
And why wouldn't he be?
He's the laughing third in all this. Garmin might get their asses kicked on a day like this, but they're getting more than enough wins to keep the sponsors happy. And without raising any eyebrowes. As if Hesjedal 2012 never happened.

He didn't seem to be too happy after Ax-3-Domaines...
User avatar Arnout

13 Jul 2013 13:35

Arnout wrote:He didn't seem to be too happy after Ax-3-Domaines...

you mean the 'i don't know' tweet?

Ax-3-D was so obvious, 'I don't know' was the diplomatic answer. After all, JV is still looking to retain the anti-doping-crusader label that people have put on him, so he won't be playing the 'let's put the blinders on' game that e.g. david walsh is currently playing.
in terms of politics and PR, JV is unchallenged out there at the moment.

if JV ever admits that doping is still rife, he'd have to explain how his own riders keep coming up with worldclass results (hesjedal 2012, martin 2013) not to mention the light it would shed on wiggo 2009 retrospectively. so my guess is he'll play the 'I'm happy' and 'it's so much cleaner now' cards for years to come and he'll avoid talking about sky as much as possible.
sniper
Veteran

13 Jul 2013 14:18

There's also the law to consider. If he says anything about Sky then they could Lance him for millions.
User avatar Alphabet

14 Jul 2013 18:35

Lol, Dan Martin dropped like a club rider by the squeaky clean Dawg.

+2,36 just like the other amateurs in the race.
Dazed and Confused
Veteran

14 Jul 2013 18:41

Hey JV is happy his riders win every once in awhile, read when Froome/Sky's A team isn't around, so who cares.
User avatar Parrulo
Veteran

15 Jul 2013 17:07

it's been 2 days without tweets for JV, not a word after the Ventoux stage and today rest day
pastronef

15 Jul 2013 17:12

pastronef wrote:it's been 2 days without tweets for JV, not a word after the Ventoux stage and today rest day

Im looking forward to see what JV has to say about the whole "speeds are down" theory and the fact that his Garmin riders are getting destroyed on every MTF and ITT.

I can understand that he is a bit busy at the moment though :D
User avatar the sceptic
Veteran

15 Jul 2013 21:13

the sceptic wrote:Im looking forward to see what JV has to say about the whole "speeds are down" theory and the fact that his Garmin riders are getting destroyed on every MTF and ITT.

I can understand that he is a bit busy at the moment though :D

You could always call him. Or send him a text.

He hasn't changed his number. :eek:

And he'll respond. :)
Banned by Berzin
User avatar Granville57

15 Jul 2013 21:54

so JV, Brailsford has opened up to the world, he wants people to tell him what they have to do to prove to everyone they are not doping/cheating!

What do you think they can do prove that Froome is clean and can beat the times up climbs of former dopers?

Can you suggest a person of absolute intergrity to look at their data?

Should they be sending their samples to a particular lab?

C'mon mr MBA lets be hearing from ya and an 'I don't know' is not deemed acceptable.

C'mon lets catch another big fish in cycling and really put the scares into the other teams to make it a little bit more cleanER.

Jean Dubuffet: "For me, insanity is super sanity. The normal psychotic. Normal means lack of imagination, lack of creativity."
User avatar Benotti69
Veteran

16 Jul 2013 23:39

Hey JV why retweet this?

Lucas Euser ‏@lucaseuser 37m

Lots of ppl talking about Froome doping. What about Sky's budget being a gorillian x's more than other teams? Budget & salary are big issues

Retweeted by Jonathan Vaughters

Does big budgets imply big doping? Does big salaries imply big doping?

Have Sky bought ASO and UCI off? Is this why Sky do so well at other ASO events PN CI CdD) leading up to the TdF?

User avatar Benotti69
Veteran

PreviousNext

Return to The Clinic