Register

Tennis

The Clinic is the only place on Cyclingnews where you can discuss doping-related issues. Ask questions, discuss positives or improvements to procedures.

Moderators: Eshnar, King Boonen, Red Rick, Pricey_sky

Re:

13 Sep 2018 02:39

Zebadeedee wrote:As regards steroids abuse, she remains one of the most suspected players in professional tennis right now to which any number of articles about her attest, e.g:- https://www.quora.com/Is-Serena-Williams-on-steroids
The Williams sisters also had some of the most-suspicious TUE's among those leaked in the Fancy Bears' ADAMS hack. Suggests they are willing to misuse the exemptions system to get drugs (corticosteroids, beta-agonists, opioids), and thus fits into the pattern of evasive behavior
ClassicomanoLuigi

Re: Tennis

13 Sep 2018 08:57

Merckx index wrote:And no one has responded to my links, because no one can. The difference between a competent cartoonist and Knight—who may be racist, incompetent and/or lazy, take your pick—is that competent cartoonists identify subjects by features that are specific to them as individuals, not to the entire race which they belong. That takes more work, more drawing skill. His depiction of Serena’s face doesn’t look like her at all. So much easier just to caricature an African-American in general. He couldn't be bothered to do even that much with Osaka, just portraying her as a generic Caucasian blonde.

Oh no I can, easily, I'd just gotten bored with this discussion, dripping as it is with ironic hypocritical ignorance, and checked out. Three points:

1) Rice in particular from your links does not have the historically stereotypical features of an African-American. But Williams does, in spades. There's probably never been another famous female African-American who fits that profile as well as Serena. She has full lips, very frizzy hair, and an incredibly robust figure - they're all very distinctive features of her. That they happen to match the stereotype is by and by - Knight accentuated her features, as an individual, not simply based on her ethnicity.

2) Knight's style is caricature, particularly based around picking out and accentuating particular features of his subjects. He's been drawing that way for newspapers for over 20 years. He's drawn Williams in a moment of intense anger, with her features scrunched up - of course it doesn't look particularly like her. No-one does when pulling faces like that. I find his style neither lazy nor incompetent, but clever, incredibly well drawn, perceptive and often very funny.

3) Too many overseas critics are making ignorant criticisms with no idea of Knight's history, his views or his other work. Here's his Obama - is this racist too?

And here's one he drew defending local indigenous footballer Adam Goodes during a period where he was experiencing a lot of booing and insults from footy crowds:

Would a racist draw this?

Anyway here in Victoria we've well and truly moved on from this little storm in a teacup, and I shall do the same.
Mamil

14 Nov 2018 19:48

What?? Top tennis player retires when their supposed to. Didn't Radwanska have access to the right doctor?

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/tennis/46213294
wansteadimp

21 Jan 2019 18:32

Just checking in with my semi annual observation that Serena Williams is still blatantly on P.E.D.s. That is all.
Blakeslee

27 Jan 2019 18:25

Djokovic has reached absurd new heights. It is depressing knowing that likely this will continue for years with no consequences and nobody even looking too hard into what he may be doing. History repeats itself once again.
Blakeslee

Re:

27 Jan 2019 18:41

Blakeslee wrote:Djokovic has reached absurd new heights. It is depressing knowing that likely this will continue for years with no consequences and nobody even looking too hard into what he may be doing. History repeats itself once again.

The Joker is a joke. Guy does not even break a sweat when going up against a raging bull who smacks the daylights out of a tennis ball. He is obviously an exceptionally talented player who can make his opponents run around at will before applying the decisive blow; but for gawd sake man, breathe through your mouth every once in a while. You are making it look too obvious.
User avatar the delgados

27 Jan 2019 21:05

Hard time seeing one of them as obviously more doped than the other within the Big 3.
Veni, Vidi, Kirby

I came, I saw, I was dead wrong as per usual
User avatar Red Rick
Administrator

Re:

27 Jan 2019 21:49

Red Rick wrote:Hard time seeing one of them as obviously more doped than the other within the Big 3.

On face value, I would disagree. Rafa claims to have never spent a minute in a gym, which is a weird way to deflect questions about why he can destroy a tennis ball five sets in to a match. And check those arms.

But overall, I get your point. We are not talking about steroids to make a player resemble Popeye the Sailor Man.
User avatar the delgados

Re: Re:

28 Jan 2019 12:23

the delgados wrote:
Red Rick wrote:Hard time seeing one of them as obviously more doped than the other within the Big 3.

On face value, I would disagree. Rafa claims to have never spent a minute in a gym, which is a weird way to deflect questions about why he can destroy a tennis ball five sets in to a match. And check those arms.

But overall, I get your point. We are not talking about steroids to make a player resemble Popeye the Sailor Man.

I would 100% believe players adapt their doping program to suit their game, but a lot of bulk isn't that helpful in hitting big, although it also depends on which shot and the specific kinetics of the shot.

Nadal being on steroids is something ex pro's have talked about, though I'm not gonna dig up the thread on /r/tennis. Right now I think it's much more important for their recovery than gaining muscle.

Really think oxygen vector doping is huge in tennis.
Veni, Vidi, Kirby

I came, I saw, I was dead wrong as per usual
User avatar Red Rick
Administrator

Re: Tennis

13 Feb 2019 18:26

I just learned that two-time Grand Slam winner Naomi Osaka sent a terse Twitter message saying she is ditching her coach. No explanation was provided.
Seems weird that she would suddenly part ways with the coach who helped her win two consecutive grand slams and rocket to number 1 in the world.
I know there are some people here who know a lot about the sport and am wondering if they have any opinion or knowledge why she ditched him.
Some are suggesting something to do with PEDs, but it is all speculation at this point. Obviously there could be any number of reasons, but the situation is odd.
User avatar the delgados

Previous

Return to The Clinic