Log in:  

Register

Chris Froome Discussion Thread.

A place to discuss all things related to current professional road races. Here, you can also touch on the latest news relating to professional road racing. A doping discussion free forum.

Moderators: Eshnar, Irondan, King Boonen, Red Rick, Pricey_sky

Re: Chris Froome Discussion Thread.

10 Jul 2019 09:36

I totally think fans will get sentimental and root for Froome when he comes back, however only if he isn't as strong as he used to be. You know, a lot like Contador got all the more likeable when he constantly pulled off ridiculous attacks because he couldn't win by just attacking 5 k from the finish anymore. A lot of the dislike for Froome has to do with the way he, or more precisely his team, races. If he comes back and he just isn't the strongest rider in the race anymore, he will have to change his riding style and if that happens I can absolutely see a lot of cheering for him.
That said, if there is another tour with him sitting behind the Ineos train for 21 stages, winning another tour by default because nobody properly attacks in the mountains, and he gains a minute on everyone in the TT's, then it would probably go straight back to booing. Sounds sh*tty but that's just how sports fans work.
User avatar Gigs_98
Veteran
 
Posts: 7,205
Joined: 18 Feb 2015 18:36
Location: Austria

Re: Re:

10 Jul 2019 12:38

ClassicomanoLuigi wrote:
VayaVayaVaya wrote:I’m confused. The story all along was that he took excessive risks in removing both hands from the steering wheel to blow his nose and that a freak gust of wind knocked him off his bike. Why are you acting like you’re debunking a conspiracy theory?
It was to correct inaccurate reporting about the incident, especially second-hand interpretations on Twitter, how he crashed on 'a technical descent', and the idea that Froome lost 2000ml of blood on the ground at the scene of the crash. Questions were unresolved for some other members in the forum. There isn't a conspiracy, and if the facts put an end to conspiracy theorists' nonsense, so much the better. Not to be indelicate or mean ...but will point out that racing bicycles have handlebars, not steering wheels. Maybe that just means 'the front wheel'

The blood loss would mostly be due to internal bleeding, so there wouldn't be blood on the ground. If a head surgeon at a major hospital tells you he lost nearly two litres, then he lost nearly two litres. His expert opinion based on actual information is not debunked by 'curiosity seekers' on a day trip.
Parker
Member
 
Posts: 1,677
Joined: 04 Mar 2011 01:20

Re: Re:

11 Jul 2019 19:34

Parker wrote:
ClassicomanoLuigi wrote:
VayaVayaVaya wrote:I’m confused. The story all along was that he took excessive risks in removing both hands from the steering wheel to blow his nose and that a freak gust of wind knocked him off his bike. Why are you acting like you’re debunking a conspiracy theory?
It was to correct inaccurate reporting about the incident, especially second-hand interpretations on Twitter, how he crashed on 'a technical descent', and the idea that Froome lost 2000ml of blood on the ground at the scene of the crash. Questions were unresolved for some other members in the forum. There isn't a conspiracy, and if the facts put an end to conspiracy theorists' nonsense, so much the better. Not to be indelicate or mean ...but will point out that racing bicycles have handlebars, not steering wheels. Maybe that just means 'the front wheel'

The blood loss would mostly be due to internal bleeding, so there wouldn't be blood on the ground. If a head surgeon at a major hospital tells you he lost nearly two litres, then he lost nearly two litres. His expert opinion based on actual information is not debunked by 'curiosity seekers' on a day trip.

:lol:
jmdirt
Senior Member
 
Posts: 3,807
Joined: 06 Dec 2013 17:33

Yesterday 22:47

https://mobile.twitter.com/inrng/status/1151590788960329739

An extremely belated congratulations to Chris on becoming the first British rider to win a Grand Tour and joining Coppi, Indurain and Contador in becoming a seven time GT winner.
MatParker117
Senior Member
 
Posts: 3,085
Joined: 28 Aug 2012 22:05

Re:

Yesterday 23:18

MatParker117 wrote:https://mobile.twitter.com/inrng/status/1151590788960329739

An extremely belated congratulations to Chris on becoming the first British rider to win a Grand Tour and joining Coppi, Indurain and Contador in becoming a seven time GT winner.


I like Froome, but not much to congratulate here. It can’t feel like much of a win to him.
User avatar Moviefan1203
Member
 
Posts: 871
Joined: 17 Apr 2010 14:10
Location: Pennsylvania, USA

Today 00:51

I would assume Froome will not return to something like his best. Apart from his injuries, he's getting older anyway. To answer some of the points above saying that he would not receive a hero's welcome in France: why not just target Giro-Vuelta double for a couple of seasons (I would assume that's all he's got left at the top). The 2011 Vuelta is his seventh GT. Anquetil had 8. Hinault had 10. Merckx had 11. If I were Froome, I'd rather target the most GTs of all time rather than the most Tours. But then I'm just an old chunk of coal - Froome is the diamond.
User avatar TMP402
Veteran
 
Posts: 5,384
Joined: 13 Mar 2015 12:36

Today 00:56

Besides the recovery, Froome's future targets might depend on the outcome of this year's Tour.
User avatar sir fly
Veteran
 
Posts: 5,817
Joined: 24 Feb 2014 16:04
Location: beg

Re:

Today 02:26

TMP402 wrote:I would assume Froome will not return to something like his best. Apart from his injuries, he's getting older anyway. To answer some of the points above saying that he would not receive a hero's welcome in France: why not just target Giro-Vuelta double for a couple of seasons (I would assume that's all he's got left at the top). The 2011 Vuelta is his seventh GT. Anquetil had 8. Hinault had 10. Merckx had 11. If I were Froome, I'd rather target the most GTs of all time rather than the most Tours. But then I'm just an old chunk of coal - Froome is the diamond.



He's not exactly liked in Spain either. Granted they aren't as bad about showing their displeasure as the the fans at the Tour are, but they don't particularly care for him either.
User avatar Koronin
Senior Member
 
Posts: 4,428
Joined: 14 Oct 2017 01:42
Location: North Carolina, USA

Re:

Today 03:53

MatParker117 wrote:https://mobile.twitter.com/inrng/status/1151590788960329739

An extremely belated congratulations to Chris on becoming the first British rider to win a Grand Tour and joining Coppi, Indurain and Contador in becoming a seven time GT winner.

Image
rick james
Senior Member
 
Posts: 4,963
Joined: 02 Sep 2014 13:21
Location: Ecosse

Today 07:18

There are going to be some very salty Contador fans today.
Singer01
Member
 
Posts: 1,340
Joined: 18 Nov 2013 19:04

Re: Re:

Today 07:21

Koronin wrote:
TMP402 wrote:I would assume Froome will not return to something like his best. Apart from his injuries, he's getting older anyway. To answer some of the points above saying that he would not receive a hero's welcome in France: why not just target Giro-Vuelta double for a couple of seasons (I would assume that's all he's got left at the top). The 2011 Vuelta is his seventh GT. Anquetil had 8. Hinault had 10. Merckx had 11. If I were Froome, I'd rather target the most GTs of all time rather than the most Tours. But then I'm just an old chunk of coal - Froome is the diamond.



He's not exactly liked in Spain either. Granted they aren't as bad about showing their displeasure as the the fans at the Tour are, but they don't particularly care for him either.

Lol....everybody love my idol please, please love him
rick james
Senior Member
 
Posts: 4,963
Joined: 02 Sep 2014 13:21
Location: Ecosse

Re:

Today 07:31

Singer01 wrote:There are going to be some very salty Contador fans today.

He still won more
F_Cance
Junior Member
 
Posts: 114
Joined: 22 Feb 2019 09:34

Re: Re:

Today 07:39

F_Cance wrote:
Singer01 wrote:There are going to be some very salty Contador fans today.

He still won more


Not officially. In the record books it's 7-7, now.

9-6 in my book, though.
User avatar tobydawq
Senior Member
 
Posts: 3,750
Joined: 16 Nov 2013 18:45
Location: Denmark

Re: Re:

Today 07:53

tobydawq wrote:
F_Cance wrote:
Singer01 wrote:There are going to be some very salty Contador fans today.

He still won more


Not officially. In the record books it's 7-7, now.

9-6 in my book, though.

How convenient
rick james
Senior Member
 
Posts: 4,963
Joined: 02 Sep 2014 13:21
Location: Ecosse

Re: Re:

Today 08:01

rick james wrote:
tobydawq wrote:
F_Cance wrote:
Singer01 wrote:There are going to be some very salty Contador fans today.

He still won more


Not officially. In the record books it's 7-7, now.

9-6 in my book, though.

How convenient


What do you mean? I also have Lance at 7 Tours, and it's not like I particularly like him. I'm not that much against Froome, either?
User avatar tobydawq
Senior Member
 
Posts: 3,750
Joined: 16 Nov 2013 18:45
Location: Denmark

Today 08:12

Doesn’t matter what you think the record books are the truth
rick james
Senior Member
 
Posts: 4,963
Joined: 02 Sep 2014 13:21
Location: Ecosse

Today 08:16

How convenient.
User avatar tobydawq
Senior Member
 
Posts: 3,750
Joined: 16 Nov 2013 18:45
Location: Denmark

Re: Re:

Today 08:43

tobydawq wrote:
F_Cance wrote:
Singer01 wrote:There are going to be some very salty Contador fans today.

He still won more


Not officially. In the record books it's 7-7, now.

9-6 in my book, though.

8-7 for me, which one of Froomes are you not giving him? Vuelta 1 or 2?
Singer01
Member
 
Posts: 1,340
Joined: 18 Nov 2013 19:04

Re: Re:

Today 08:51

Singer01 wrote:
tobydawq wrote:
F_Cance wrote:
Singer01 wrote:There are going to be some very salty Contador fans today.

He still won more


Not officially. In the record books it's 7-7, now.

9-6 in my book, though.

8-7 for me, which one of Froomes are you not giving him? Vuelta 1 or 2?


I count victories on the road unless a disqualification follows immediately (of course that doesn't happen when talking about Grand Tour victories) for example for irregular sprinting.

Which of Contador's are you not giving him?
User avatar tobydawq
Senior Member
 
Posts: 3,750
Joined: 16 Nov 2013 18:45
Location: Denmark

Today 09:06

Miracle man back on his bike already - smells fishy!
User avatar LaFlorecita
Veteran
 
Posts: 30,954
Joined: 15 May 2011 09:53
Location: Utrecht, The Netherlands

PreviousNext

Return to Professional road racing

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: bambino, Climbing, Eyeballs Out, fantomas, Google Adsense [Bot], janraaskalt, Logic-is-your-friend, Mayomaniac, Midnightfright, PeterB, Red Rick, shalgo, VO2 Max, wirral and 160 guests

Back to top