Register

Chris Froome Discussion Thread.

A place to discuss all things related to current professional road races. Here, you can also touch on the latest news relating to professional road racing. A doping discussion free forum.

27 Aug 2012 07:51

Clearly Contador will always be a factor in any stage race he takes part in for the rest of his career, but I do believe NuWiggins and NuFroome will be a tougher nut to crack than Andy. OT here though. ;)

Go Froome, nice guy, attacking rider, what's not to like?
User avatar spalco

27 Aug 2012 07:55

spalco wrote:Clearly Contador will always be a factor in any stage race he takes part in for the rest of his career, but I do believe NuWiggins and NuFroome will be a tougher nut to crack than Andy. OT here though. ;)

Go Froome, nice guy, attacking rider, what's not to like?

I think Wiggins will be very easy to crack for Contador when he's 100 %

And yeah I also like Froome, such a shame he's in Sky. It would be cool to have him in Astana with Vino as teamleader :cool:
User avatar Miburo

27 Aug 2012 11:19

Froome19 wrote:I also saw that interview on ITV, maybe it is on Eurosport as well....

Froome really had an opportunity to have a go at Contador and rightfully so many would say, after all it must have been frustrating to be ganged up against like that... but he instead gave credit where credit was due and admitted he was at fault for falling into the trap rather than the other way round... He seems like twice the man Wiggins will ever be..

+1, Froome is growing on me. I dont like sky, but Froome could easily be one of my favourite riders.
Alpehue

27 Aug 2012 11:56

The Hitch wrote:What is this photo i see in various guises on FDC?

Anyone want to explain?

Im talking about the sombrero and the jersey, not the english underneath which does not always appear,

Looking at that photo first thing that comes to mind is the Little Rascals
"It's a little bit scarey when Contador attacks." Tommie Voeckler
User avatar Angliru

27 Aug 2012 12:36

Alpehue wrote:+1, Froome is growing on me. I dont like sky, but Froome could easily be one of my favourite riders.

Me too. Enjoying his riding more than I expected.
User avatar Swabian Lass

27 Aug 2012 18:11

Miburo wrote:Seriously is there someone who likes Wiggins in this forum? lol

Anyway I hope for him he doesn't become the next poulidor/ullrich/Schleck but it seems to go that way. Already 2 times 2nd and now Contador is back.

Should be interesting to see.

I like that Wigans lives in Lancashire once he became bigtime.
Whereas Froome lives in Tax haven ,now rides for GB but has probably never paid a single penny in tax.
Ok im scrapping the bottom of the barrel in reasons for Wigans>Froome :D
[SIZE="4"]Proud SKY fanboy since 22/08/2012[/SIZE]

[SIZE="5"]"You have no idea the power of the dark side of the Force"[/SIZE]
User avatar User Guide

28 Aug 2012 10:29

I like Froome, who doesn't, but I cant say I've been too impressed by his Vuelta so far and to some extent it does validate the doubts we had during the TDF, i.e. little attacks he can't sustain, which has already happened at least twice in the Vuelta so far and the field isn't on par with the TDF either in spite of appearances, just look where Roche is.

He really needs to put 1+ minute into Bertie and 3+ into JRod and Valverde in the ITT if he wants to reverse things here.
webvan

Froome believes he is better than his rivals in the time trial

28 Aug 2012 23:24

“I believe that I am better than my rivals in the time trial,” Froome said on Monday’s rest day. “I am satisfied with how the Vuelta’s gone so far with Sky. We came to win the Vuelta and, up to now, our objective remains intact.”

http://velonews.competitor.com/2012/08/news/time-trial-showdown-will-prove-decisive-in-vuelta_236653
learn to ride

28 Aug 2012 23:51

Who is this Froome everyone speaks of and what has he done thus far to deserve said talk?

Actions > Words

Like a certain Contador lets his cycling speak for him.
User avatar RedFury

29 Aug 2012 01:55

learn to ride wrote:“I believe that I am better than my rivals in the time trial,” Froome said on Monday’s rest day. “I am satisfied with how the Vuelta’s gone so far with Sky. We came to win the Vuelta and, up to now, our objective remains intact.”

http://velonews.competitor.com/2012/08/news/time-trial-showdown-will-prove-decisive-in-vuelta_236653

I don't see anything wrong with his comments. Based on his form over the course of the year and the performances of his rivals, including Contador, I think it is reasonable for him to believe that he is better than them. Now that may not turn out to be the case, but it is not an unreasonable belief.
"The truth is when I race, it's 100% me" Alberto Contador

"I have no intention of being a conformist in this race. Not in the slightest" Alberto Contador

"We should all have more cake. Who doesn’t like cake?" Oleg Tinkov
User avatar Publicus

29 Aug 2012 02:32

Publicus wrote:I don't see anything wrong with his comments. Based on his form over the course of the year and the performances of his rivals, including Contador, I think it is reasonable for him to believe that he is better than them. Now that may not turn out to be the case, but it is not an unreasonable belief.

I agree, on paper he is the better ITTer. We'll see what happens on the road.....Tomorrow!!! Is Contador fit enough??? Won't know until they ride it.
Carol S.
~~~~
Alberto Contador: "And yes, it is true that for me it's the same to finish second or 10th."

Vincezo Nibali joins Anquetil, Gimondi, Merckx, Hinault and Contador as only the 6th winner of all 3 Grand Tours! Bravo Lo Squalo!
User avatar Carols

29 Aug 2012 02:42

Miburo wrote:I don't think he has a thread yet. He deserves one, I like how he rides.

And he made fun of Wiggins in the tour, how can you not like him for that? lol

He attacks when he can. And not an ***.

Anyway great rider and IMO the guy who is going to be the biggest challenge for Contador in the future GT's.

And he has a cute girlfriend, she doesn't know when to be quiet, still very nice :D

Ha..you should see Gilbert's Girlfriend. :)
User avatar Andre.J

29 Aug 2012 03:13

froome will bash contador tomorrow :S wait and see
semi literate sausige
User avatar palmerq

29 Aug 2012 03:59

palmerq wrote:froome will bash contador tomorrow :S wait and see

In lots of ways, this is probably the best result for the fans because it means Contador will attack and attack until he succeeds or fails, which generally makes for very exciting racing.
"The truth is when I race, it's 100% me" Alberto Contador

"I have no intention of being a conformist in this race. Not in the slightest" Alberto Contador

"We should all have more cake. Who doesn’t like cake?" Oleg Tinkov
User avatar Publicus

29 Aug 2012 06:26

Publicus wrote:In lots of ways, this is probably the best result for the fans because it means Contador will attack and attack until he succeeds or fails, which generally makes for very exciting racing.

That's the great thing with Contador. If he loses 3 minutes we can't say it's over with him. Aslong as we've mountains you can never say it's over with this guy, that's so awesome about him.

Still I hope Contador wins against Froome and that Wiggins put his tv on ;)
User avatar Miburo

29 Aug 2012 17:33

Go Froome, don't collapse now, you're still in contention.
User avatar Forunculo

29 Aug 2012 17:38

palmerq wrote:froome will bash contador tomorrow :S wait and see

that did not happen:eek:

Froom's career path so far seems tragic to me, hand over last year Vuelta win, hand over this year Tour win, and possibly fall off the podium of Vuelta this year. Well hope he will not regret too much when he looks back his career and he only have himself to blame.

He is still relatively young, so still have plenty chances to get on the top of the podium. But assessing current SKY situation, I can only imagine more drama between him and Wiggins for next year tour. And in the end maybe neither of them can benefit from them, let's wait and see.

Also expect much close fight in the next year Tour, people are catching up with SKY innovative training methods, it is already obvious in the Vuelta right now.
Either SKY bring us into future or bring us back ten years. Only time will tell.
User avatar maxmartin

29 Aug 2012 17:44

maxmartin wrote:He is still relatively young, so still have plenty chances to get on the top of the podium. But assessing current SKY situation, I can only imagine more drama between him and Wiggins for next year tour. And in the end maybe neither of them can benefit from them, let's wait and see.
Right, but can he have the same preparation with a different team? I doubt it.
Do you want to watch better bike racing? => Team radios (not race radio) must go!
User avatar cineteq

29 Aug 2012 18:27

Why not, he knows how it's done, it's not rocket science, anyway if he can't win the Vuelta he's not going anywhere.

All is not lost but this ITT is a friggin' disappointment, clearly he doesn't have the shape he had in the TDF but he didn't do a lot of work over there (pulled what, 15k top for Wiggins? ) and had raced very little before...and Kessiakoff was on the TDF too. If anything it confirms that he couldn't have put much time into Wiggo on La Toussuire and Peyragudes, certainly not the time he lost in the ITTs in any case and that he we could have done with a little less showboating, not to mention his GF's ridiculous tweets.

Anyway he'd better get his act together and win the Vuelta or he'll have to bow down to Wiggo again in the next TDF. It's not the first time a very talented rider would do that, Jean-François Bernard (and to a lesser extent Gérard Rué) did that for Indurain in the early 90s.
webvan

29 Aug 2012 18:46

cineteq wrote:Right, but can he have the same preparation with a different team? I doubt it.

LOL.
Katusha have the guy who was in a day of winning the Giro,
looking to be the likely winner of the Vuelta.
To date, zero bad days in the mountains:-a first.
Plus, they seem to have taught him to time trial, since forever.

I'd say they get full marks for preparing Purito.
Mellow Velo

PreviousNext

Return to Professional road racing