Register

Chris Froome Discussion Thread.

A place to discuss all things related to current professional road races. Here, you can also touch on the latest news relating to professional road racing. A doping discussion free forum.

30 Apr 2013 23:58

Froome, Wiggins, Contador and Nibali are rated for the GTs they do. So it doesn´t really matter what happened this season so far.

All that matters is in Giro, Tour and Vuelta, for them.

Oman, even Tirreno are unimportant, we mustn´t forget. For someone who follows cycling closely, they surely are not, but you always have to switch to normal population´s view from time to time. They don´t know Tour of Oman. And Tirreno has also been won by Rolf Järmann.

What I want to say: Giro, Tour and Vuelta start from zero, each. On Champs-Elyseées, it doesn´t matter if you won Tour of Oman.
RHRH19861986

01 May 2013 00:52

TANK91 wrote:Porte and Froome are best friend's aswell.

That's true but Porte gets on really well with Wiggins too. Little Richie is going to be the man in the middle.
JRanton

01 May 2013 01:03

RHRH19861986 wrote:Froome, Wiggins, Contador and Nibali are rated for the GTs they do. So it doesn´t really matter what happened this season so far.

All that matters is in Giro, Tour and Vuelta, for them.

Oman, even Tirreno are unimportant, we mustn´t forget. For someone who follows cycling closely, they surely are not, but you always have to switch to normal population´s view from time to time. They don´t know Tour of Oman. And Tirreno has also been won by Rolf Järmann.

What I want to say: Giro, Tour and Vuelta start from zero, each. On Champs-Elyseées, it doesn´t matter if you won Tour of Oman.

Well it doesn't, no. However in the previous two seasons we've seen two cyclists win multiple races in the months leading up to the Tour and then go on to win the yellow jersey in impressive fashion. Recent history (perhaps you could say, the ''bio-passport years'') suggest that you don't see magical improvements relative to the rivals anymore at different points in the year. The exception would be an injury or health issue of course. We'll see what happens at the Dauphine. Contador doesn't need to win it but he needs to show some signs of life. If he ends up getting crushed by Froome and Sky then he's not going to win the Tour and his fans will just have to accept that. Nothing lasts forever.
JRanton

01 May 2013 01:05

TANK91 wrote:[/B]
So you think Contador is stronger than Froome of today. What a fanboy ha ha I cant take you serious lol, even Contador fans no it will take a lot, if anyone can do it it's Contador but come on now lol.

Ending your sentence with lol always helps make your case.
richwagmn

01 May 2013 01:12

jaylew wrote:These.

So, even if they go into the Tour as co-leaders, with the way they race, who will be behind who in the train?

even more: When Contador takes off & Froome follows- Will Wiggo set Porte to pace him up to them??:D
Can you imagine what I would do if I could do all I can?
Sun Tzu
User avatar hfer07

01 May 2013 01:43

JimmyFingers wrote:maybe Sky should send two teams, sack off Argos-Shimano or something. Someone suggest this to ASO

That is a good idea. Maybe Dave Brailsford can suggest it when he meets up with the ASO people to chat about whatever they chat about.
User avatar BYOP88

01 May 2013 02:19

Winterfold wrote:It's gonna be Sky vs Sky

"and may the best man win!"

mmmm. . . . leftover pie.
User avatar leftover pie

01 May 2013 03:06

JRanton wrote:That's true but Porte gets on really well with Wiggins too. Little Richie is going to be the man in the middle.

or he might just throw his hat too and said.. "I deserve to be a leader"..:D
User avatar Jelantik

01 May 2013 03:21

leftover pie wrote:"and may the best man win!"

Very nicely done.
Ferminal

01 May 2013 03:28

A source close to Froome also told The Daily Telegraph that after seeking clarification about his position on Monday night following Wiggins’s claims that the leadership would not be decided until three days before the Tour, Froome had again been assured by Team Sky principal Sir Dave Brailsford that he would be No 1.

The source said that Froome had been left “upset” by the latest comments and was still waiting for Sky to make some form of public assurance about his position. There was no official statement from the team yesterday, prompting Cound to tweet: “I look forward to @TeamSky clearing up this mess (ASAP) #fedup.”

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/othersports/cycling/10029172/Chris-Froomes-fiancee-reveals-fury-over-Bradley-Wiggins-Tour-de-France-claim.html

Dave seems to be still backing Froome for the leadership but it could easily be a ploy to just keep him on side for the moment. If Brailsford was to back down now and pander to Wiggins, it would be weak on his part in his position. Wiggins has put himself in this predicament when he said not long after the Tour that the Giro was his priority and that he would have been happy with just one Tour win in his career. Now if Wiggins said initially he wanted to be the first rider to do the double since Pantani, I would have no problem now with what he was saying. But do remember he also said at the time that Froome could win the race in the future and this year's route would favour his chances more of an overall victory. He can't just back down from that and all of a sudden expect to get shared leadership when Froome in the meantime has shown to be performing and relishing in the role when he has been backed fully by the team.
User avatar gooner

01 May 2013 07:09

TANK91 wrote:[/B]
So you think Contador is stronger than Froome of today. What a fanboy ha ha I cant take you serious lol, even Contador fans no it will take a lot, if anyone can do it it's Contador but come on now lol.

Funny guy, you are absolutely missing the point, which is a direct reply to airstrteam.

1, Either we look at last year and decide Wiggo is the best.
2. We look at this year and say Froome is the strongest.

Saying that undoubtedly both are the strongest due to both reasons is eating your cake and having it too.

So according to your view of today you would 100% agree with me that Wiggo is not as strong as Contador. Seems you should be laughing at airstream, not at me. ;)
Franklin

01 May 2013 08:19

gooner wrote:http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/othersports/cycling/10029172/Chris-Froomes-fiancee-reveals-fury-over-Bradley-Wiggins-Tour-de-France-claim.html

Dave seems to be still backing Froome for the leadership but it could easily be a ploy to just keep him on side for the moment. If Brailsford was to back down now and pander to Wiggins, it would be weak on his part in his position. Wiggins has put himself in this predicament when he said not long after the Tour that the Giro was his priority and that he would have been happy with just one Tour win in his career. Now if Wiggins said initially he wanted to be the first rider to do the double since Pantani, I would have no problem now with what he was saying. But do remember he also said at the time that Froome could win the race in the future and this year's route would favour his chances more of an overall victory. He can't just back down from that and all of a sudden expect to get shared leadership when Froome in the meantime has shown to be performing and relishing in the role when he has been backed fully by the team.

Interesting...so DB will not be saying anything it seems...kinda blows away that crazy Cound woman and showboating Froome, no? Again, I really don't see the problem in having dual leaders, or two "protected" riders, how can Froome seriously deny that to the defending champion. Kinda shows his lack of understanding of cycling rules/"etiquette", like when makes these scenes on Toussuire or Peyragudes or taunts Peraud on CI, this is going to bite back at some point, especially if he fails in the TDF this year, for one reason or the other, and there are many reasons for things to go wrong, mechanical, fall, tactics like at T-A, etc...

It's not an end in itself to be the "sole" leader, it certainly wasn't in 86, 97 or '09, the strongest won and if he'd been the strongest overall last year he would have won too. The issue is that he's not convinced it's changed this year, especially with what BW and Kerrison are saying these days about BWs climbing abilities. In any case Froome and Cound are not getting BW off the TDF team if he wants/can to be there so they should take a pill and relax.
webvan

01 May 2013 08:21

Sky play their double card perfectly in press. The opponents shouldn't know who they should dear more. I'm sure there is absolute clarity in the the team for the Tour
User avatar airstream

01 May 2013 08:23

Franklin wrote:1. Keeping form this long is kinda special. It happened before (Wiggins), but it's odd to think it will last.
2. Airstream called Wiggins and Froome undoubtedly the best two GT riders based on this and last season. I have shown rather decisively that Wiggins neither has the form nor palmares to warrant that claim. Last season is a similar problem. The only time AC met Froome in a GT he crushed him. He did not say "Froome is at this moment in time the worlds best Stage rider", he specifically added GT's and last season. Does not compute ;)

We will see. It's not yet July. Wiggins clearly isn't at peak yet and if he manages to get peak form in July he won't be a pushover. It also depends on how the competition is stacking up. You assume Froome will do the attacking, but if Ryder, Andy and/or Alberto are at their peak form there's a decent chance Sky will have to ride defensive to take them out on the TT's (Where Froome beats all three). If that happens Wiggins is in good position again.

For sure, I think Froome will be the one to beat, but we have seen in the past that it can be a complete surprise how it turns out.

i will put it this way
Mountains Contador>Froome>Wiggins
Mountains Froome+Sky train>Contador>Wiggins+Sky Train
TT Wiggins>Froome>Contador
There is no doubt with present performances as well that only Contador can dare to attack from far out. Froome relies on his train and puts in one attack at the end. But i think we are forgetting the joker in the pack- Purito. Only through misfortune and lack of planning that he lost the Vuelta 2012 to Contador otherwise he would have won it. He might work together with Contador to distance Froome.
IndianCyclist

01 May 2013 08:24

Froome is the best climber regardless the train.
User avatar airstream

01 May 2013 08:25

TANK91 wrote:Porte and Froome are best friend's aswell.

Richie will say whatever anybody wants to hear.

He's not smart.

He wanted to work for Wiggins.
User avatar thehog

01 May 2013 08:26

Personally I think it is a foregone conclusion that Sky intends to have Froome lead the Tour de France. I just can't imagine they would be so stupid to set Froome up leading and (mostly) winning all the preparation stage races and leading him on with assurances that he will be leader only to take it away from him 3 days before the tour. Wiggins may put a bit of pressure on Froome in the first ITT especially if he isn't far behind after Ax3, but that is about it.

I think the more interesting question is which position in the Skytrain will Wiggins slot in. Porte would normally be Froome's last man, but if Wiggins were to have a chance of beating Froome he will need to be the last man to minimize the time loss to Froome. On the other hand, I think Wiggins may not be as capable of covering attacks as Porte, so Porte should be the last man.
User avatar wwabbit

01 May 2013 08:34

BYOP88 wrote:That is a good idea. Maybe Dave Brailsford can suggest it when he meets up with the ASO people to chat about whatever they chat about.

Peace in the middle east?
JimmyFingers

01 May 2013 08:39

leftover pie wrote:"and may the best man win!"

hehe that's exactly what i was thinking of - maybe with a blue armband
Winterfold

01 May 2013 09:13

airstream wrote:Froome is the best climber regardless the train.

Who is disputing that this is the case?
User avatar Contadoraus Schlecks

PreviousNext

Return to Professional road racing