Register

"Escarabajos" Who is the best climber?

A place to discuss all things related to current professional road races. Here, you can also touch on the latest news relating to professional road racing. A doping discussion free forum.

Whos the best climber?

Sergio Henao
19%
Nairo Quintana
60%
Winner Anacona
3%
Rigoberto Uràn
6%
Darwin Atapuma
3%
Carlos Betancur
7%
Johan Chaves
2%

Total votes : 103

27 Aug 2012 14:16

Jason_Mercier wrote:Yes. Quintana and Atapuma arent explossve at all. But i didint find the word. My english is very bad. I try it .:D

no worries :)
User avatar Ryo Hazuki

27 Aug 2012 14:19

Jason_Mercier wrote:Yes. Quintana and Atapuma arent explosive at all. But i didnt find the word. My english is very bad. I try it :D

Is Winner Anacona that explosive? He lost a minute on that hill in Jaca.
theyoungest

27 Aug 2012 14:20

The Hitch wrote:SO difficult because all of them have performances that make you think - he is the brightest prospect, until you look at the next one.

the logical answer is quintana, one of the youngest and already some insane mountain performances on the mountain stages, especially that one where it was like 5 minutes to 3rd place or whatever.

but i prefer to go left field all throw chips into the corner of Betancur.

To come 4th, on the colle delle finnestrre stage, at age 21, in a pace that was high enough to drop Nibali, that is up there with what any of them have done on a gt level imo

People say he is more explosive, might end up more of a classics rider, but even today the best hill explosive guys are among the best gt contenders - Nibali, Rodriguez, Hejsedal.

Because he is not always up there in the mountains, but shows talent there on occasion, and that he does so well in 1 day races and short punchy climbs, i think that as he grows older, and begins to focus seasons around a gt and everything that comes with that, he will shine the brightest.

Erm wasn't Betancur in the break that day?

Anacona is really surprising me this Vuelta although having some freedom (Cunego failing etc.) definitely helps. Quintana will be hamstrung by Valverde this Vuelta unfortunately.
User avatar will10

27 Aug 2012 14:26

will10 wrote:Erm wasn't Betancur in the break that day?

Anacona is really surprising me this Vuelta although having some freedom (Cunego failing etc.) definitely helps. Quintana will be hamstrung by Valverde this Vuelta unfortunately.

Yes he was in a break away of fifteen riders like Ulissi, Seeldraeyers or Popovych. He was the second strongest in the break ahead Vasil Kiri. He did the final part of the climb to Finestre with Rujano.
User avatar Jason_Mercier

27 Aug 2012 14:34

Ah damn. I always thought Betancur had done that climb with the peloton.

My bad.
The Hitch: Winner 2013 Vuelta cq game. Winner, Velorooms prediction game 2012, 2013. 2nd all time cq rankings.
The Father of Clean Cycling, Christophe Bassons wrote:When I look at cycling today, I get the impression that history is repeating itself: riders who are supposed to be rouleurs are climbing passes at the front of the race, and those who are supposed to be climbers are riding time trials at more than 50 kilometres per hour.

The story is beginning again, just as it did 14 years ago

journalist with integrity.
User avatar The Hitch

27 Aug 2012 14:35

theyoungest wrote:Is Winner Anacona that explosive? He lost a minute on that hill in Jaca.

he's not super explosive. wiggins also isn't and come from track too. but he's not bad either. he always did well in italian hilly races too
User avatar Ryo Hazuki

27 Aug 2012 14:47

Ryo Hazuki wrote:he's not super explosive. wiggins also isn't and come from track too. but he's not bad either. he always did well in italian hilly races too

Last year he shone in hilly stages at the Giro Bio, so as you say i think he's a bit explosive.

27 Aug 2012 14:58

The Hitch wrote:Ah damn. I always thought Betancur had done that climb with the peloton.

My bad.

Betancur was in the escape, but was dropped with everyone else when Kiryienka went. He stayed in the chasse-patate until Rujano attacked from the favourites group, and rode much of it with the Venezuelan.

He had also been with the favourites group until the first really steep ramps on Fedaia, which was a pretty serious achievement too.

I voted Quintana, because the thread is about who is the best climber, not who is the best prospect GC-wise.
User avatar Libertine Seguros

27 Aug 2012 15:05

Ryo Hazuki wrote:quintana's itt is quite good too. and will only improve. I don't see it much of an acchilesheel for him in gt's.

Thats true,he can improve it...its a pity that on Wednesday he probably isnt going full gas.We could have a comparsion with Anacona:(
Alberto Contador fanboy
Proud Participant of a Thrilling Foxxy's GGTG 2014-15
User avatar ILovecycling

27 Aug 2012 15:22

Betancur said in an interview that he didnt arrived in good conditions at the Giro 2011. But finally he got this good result at Sestriere. Said that the Giro will be his big goal for 2013. Also Lombardìa and the Wolrd Championship in Limburg in this final part of the year.

27 Aug 2012 15:33

Jason_Mercier wrote:Betancur said in an interview that he didnt arrived in good conditions at the Giro 2011. But finally he got this good result at Sestriere. Said that the Giro will be his big goal for 2013. Also Lombardìa and the Wolrd Championship in Limburg in this final part of the year.

that is correct. acqua had almost not even selecte dhim and wre e very unhappy with betancurt how he arrived from colombia. many kg's overweight. after 3 torturous giro weeks he was finally in shape and on proper weight. this year you can see the true change. he has lost 3 kg of fat in his face alone
User avatar Ryo Hazuki

27 Aug 2012 16:00

From what I've seen, I'd say it's close between Quintana and Betancur. They are clearly different type of riders, though.
Ryo Hazuki wrote:contador is such a coward :o
User avatar Hugo Koblet

27 Aug 2012 16:05

i think it has to be quintana but i feel we didn't see yet the best of esteban chaves.far from that.

remember this one:
jens_attacks wrote:big article yesterday in l'equipe:

esteban chaves:"in bogota,or you climb or you find other job".
esteban chaves:"i have only one wish:win le tour!"

dr. massimiliano mantovani the actual doctor of coldeportes team who was riccardo ricco's doctor at ceramica flaminia:"chaves is a phenomenon with beast qualities!"

dr. massimiliano mantovani :".aldo sassi tested riccardo in the lab at castelanza,very good results.BUT CHAVES IS BETTER,ABOVE HIM.riders like him,i never saw.on the climbs,when he's ready,nobody can stay near him"
Vino 4ever
User avatar jens_attacks

27 Aug 2012 16:28

chavez is amazing. although I also se ehim really excel in the classics. but his progress is tremendous. probably also because he still looks 11 years old and he grows a lot.
User avatar Ryo Hazuki

27 Aug 2012 17:33

Nairo Quintana is the most talented climber. Not necessarily the most talented rider however!

I am in agree with Michele Bartoli, I think Betancurt is capable of winning both GT’s and major classics in the future. His rider-repertoire is really appealing to me!

Colombia has a ton of talents coming through. From the juniors I particularly like Diego Ruiz. He is similar build to Betancurt and they have somewhat identical rider-characteristics. I was on Patios (One of the most famous test climbs around Bogota) the day he did a mountain test. He did Patios in 18mins 29sec. Patios is 6.5kms with percentage’s switching between 7% to 12.

Diego Ruiz is 1.72cm and 57kg. The reason I am so high on him mainly comes down to him having a fantastic mentality and being very mature for his age. He is also a very complete athlete. No obvious weaknesses. I hope he can grow into a promising competitor.

In general the level in Colombia is very, very high at the moment!
Jakob747

27 Aug 2012 17:49

Quintana,he beat JTL going uphill,enough said :D
But what I really liked about him that day is he did it with his head as much as his legs,good to see from a young rider.
[SIZE="4"]Proud SKY fanboy since 22/08/2012[/SIZE]

[SIZE="5"]"You have no idea the power of the dark side of the Force"[/SIZE]
User avatar User Guide

27 Aug 2012 18:05

User Guide wrote:Quintana,he beat JTL going uphill,enough said :D
But what I really liked about him that day is he did it with his head as much as his legs,good to see from a young rider.

the smarted ride rout there is betancurt though. Amazing race intelligence, the likes of sagan or even better and both so young
User avatar Ryo Hazuki

27 Aug 2012 19:21

I get very impressed due to the 0 votes for Atapuma. A good climber who did it nice in California and Trentino. Good stages. And in the last year, great performance in the queen stage of Castilla y Leòn standing in a group of five climbers in el Alto del Peñòn. Contador, Pozzovivo, Antòn, Quintana and him. In Burgos too, top 6 in Lagunas de Neila ahead Samuel Sànchez. This guy is an amazing talent. Sub23 champion of Colombia with only 20 years, also shone in the Tour of Porvenir in 2010. why dont a World Tour signed him yet?

27 Aug 2012 19:39

because he want to stay in a colombian team as with many other colombian riders. duarte is another example.
User avatar Ryo Hazuki

27 Aug 2012 19:48

I know Corti have the project make Coldeportes World Tour. But i think is a difficult goal. If i were Atapuma or Chaves i would decide leave the team.

PreviousNext

Return to Professional road racing