Register

"Escarabajos" Who is the best climber?

A place to discuss all things related to current professional road races. Here, you can also touch on the latest news relating to professional road racing. A doping discussion free forum.

Whos the best climber?

Sergio Henao
19%
Nairo Quintana
60%
Winner Anacona
3%
Rigoberto Uràn
6%
Darwin Atapuma
3%
Carlos Betancur
7%
Johan Chaves
2%

Total votes : 103

27 Aug 2012 19:54

Quintana is clearly the best or at least the most talented in long climbs. Henao is quite close though and seems to be more consistent. I don't think Uran will improve much more.

Betancur is more of a puncheur I think, who'll start challenging in the Ardennes already next year. Sure, he can probably top 10 in a GT too but I think his main source of success will be in the classics.
maltiv

27 Aug 2012 20:01

Quintana is the actual better climber but the Sky duo is the one with bigger chances to do well in GTs.

An outsider could be Anacona.
[color="Black"]ciclismo-espresso.com[/color]
User avatar Michele

27 Aug 2012 20:12

Jason_Mercier wrote:I know Corti have the project make Coldeportes World Tour. But i think is a difficult goal. If i were Atapuma or Chaves i would decide leave the team.

The problem is Atapuma is about as pure a pure climber as is possible, so would perhaps find his opportunites limited in a WT team. Although his recovery is very good, so I think he could still do well in the Giro GC given the lack of TT kms in recent editions.

I still have hope for Duarte - he is only actually 6 months older than Uran and has much less experience in Europe. He started off his career in Europe very impressively but has not got back to that level since his knee injury last season. Perhaps also he has not coped well with being the leader at Coldeportes.

On the poll, I agree with those who say that Quintana is the best climber and GC prospect. It's a shame he didn't do the Giro, where he would probably have had more opportunities than he will get in this Vuelta.
User avatar Duartista

27 Aug 2012 20:12

Jason_Mercier wrote:I get very impressed due to the 0 votes for Atapuma. A good climber who did it nice in California and Trentino. Good stages. And in the last year, great performance in the queen stage of Castilla y Leòn standing in a group of five climbers in el Alto del Peñòn. Contador, Pozzovivo, Antòn, Quintana and him. In Burgos too, top 6 in Lagunas de Neila ahead Samuel Sànchez. This guy is an amazing talent. Sub23 champion of Colombia with only 20 years, also shone in the Tour of Porvenir in 2010. why dont a World Tour signed him yet?

I'm with you- Atapuma is more like a breakaway artist & finds himself excelling from a small group, rather than attacking from the peloton on the last climb-but nonetheless his qualities are unique.

To me Quintana, Henao & Anacona- in that order.
As far as the so called "lack of explosiveness" seen by some folks here-I think it is because in Colombia where altitude plays an important part of how they develop their style-is the reminiscence of the "old school approach" where the cyclists train their body to "push a higher gear at slow cadence" in order to stabilize breathing while setting a pace-instead of the "enhanced High cadence bvllsh!t" that is adapted elsewhere...
Can you imagine what I would do if I could do all I can?
Sun Tzu
User avatar hfer07

27 Aug 2012 20:15

Perhaps worth mentioning Beltran - he was second in the Girobio that Betancur won, but has not progressed much since. Hopefullly he can still confirm that early promise.
User avatar Duartista

28 Aug 2012 09:21

Jason_Mercier wrote:I know Corti have the project make Coldeportes World Tour. But i think is a difficult goal. If i were Atapuma or Chaves i would decide leave the team.

no, that would eb bad. coldeported will definitely become world tour. all they need is after next year to get uran and henao and possibly even serpa and quintana and they should have enough points
User avatar Ryo Hazuki

28 Aug 2012 09:22

Duartista wrote:The problem is Atapuma is about as pure a pure climber as is possible, so would perhaps find his opportunites limited in a WT team. Although his recovery is very good, so I think he could still do well in the Giro GC given the lack of TT kms in recent editions.

I still have hope for Duarte - he is only actually 6 months older than Uran and has much less experience in Europe. He started off his career in Europe very impressively but has not got back to that level since his knee injury last season. Perhaps also he has not coped well with being the leader at Coldeportes.

On the poll, I agree with those who say that Quintana is the best climber and GC prospect. It's a shame he didn't do the Giro, where he would probably have had more opportunities than he will get in this Vuelta.

duarte has had a very bad winter, like all of coldeported except atapuma(although also not great). that's the reason he sucks now/is zo inconsistant
User avatar Ryo Hazuki

28 Aug 2012 09:23

Duartista wrote:Perhaps worth mentioning Beltran - he was second in the Girobio that Betancur won, but has not progressed much since. Hopefullly he can still confirm that early promise.

he's had numerous injuries though since then. but he still has the talent. in coloraod crashed again. I hope he learns to stay upright
User avatar Ryo Hazuki

28 Aug 2012 09:30

What do you think about Gomez Pineda? He was one of the best Epm in Colorado.
User avatar Jason_Mercier

28 Aug 2012 09:33

Jason_Mercier wrote:What do you think about Gomez Pineda? He was one of the best Epm in Colorado.

gomez pineda, or pito loco as he is called is the youngest winner of the vuelta juventud ever(18 years and some months)! even younger than duarte was. still after that he has developped more into a rouleur and sprinter than climber/itt. also when only 18 he rode top 20 wc itt. he is a massive talent but epm is definitely the wrong team to be in when you are young. you race way too much. there is no guiding at all. young riders are lef tin the dark about anything. only reason they go there is because the team pays so much. same reason why all the great riders are not in coldeported but in other teams and especially epm, because they pay a lot more. I really hope coldeported can break this by opening more budget to get guys like infantino, beltran, pito loco and from their own ct team ronald gomez and felix baron. I am hopeful though in this as the team is continuing the next years and that is already quite something for a big colombian project
User avatar Ryo Hazuki

28 Aug 2012 09:43

Ryo Hazuki wrote:no, that would eb bad. coldeported will definitely become world tour. all they need is after next year to get uran and henao and possibly even serpa and quintana and they should have enough points

Getting Uran and Henao won't be easy, it's not like they can offer them a contract that is even close to what Sky is willing to pay them.
maltiv

28 Aug 2012 10:28

maltiv wrote:Getting Uran and Henao won't be easy, it's not like they can offer them a contract that is even close to what Sky is willing to pay them.

that is not the point for them either. they don't ride for money. some colombians do like ardila or parra or pena. but most of them don't. I'm sure at least henao is very willing to sign for them. I remember well how he gave chavez that victory
User avatar Ryo Hazuki

28 Aug 2012 10:29

Ryo Hazuki wrote:no, that would eb bad. coldeported will definitely become world tour. all they need is after next year to get uran and henao and possibly even serpa and quintana and they should have enough points

Hahaha, "all" they need is sign pretty much every single Colombian star out there? And that would be easy?

Yeah yeah Colombians are pure mythical creatures riding for king and country, we know.
User avatar hrotha

28 Aug 2012 12:31

hrotha wrote:Hahaha, "all" they need is sign pretty much every single Colombian star out there? And that would be easy?

Yeah yeah Colombians are pure mythical creatures riding for king and country, we know.

lol @ your hating
User avatar Ryo Hazuki

28 Aug 2012 12:55

Coldeportes riding the Tour de France with Henao, Uràn Quintana, Chaves... Wow:D Dream is free:rolleyes:
User avatar Jason_Mercier

28 Aug 2012 13:05

Jason_Mercier wrote:Coldeportes riding the Tour de France with Henao, Uràn Quintana, Chaves... Wow:D Dream is free:rolleyes:

I would pay for that to happen (provided there are a few mountains included in the route...)! Don't forget Duarte as well.
Ryo Hazuki wrote:contador is such a coward :o
User avatar Hugo Koblet

28 Aug 2012 21:04

But the guys in the poll can't hold a candle to Lucho Herrera, Fabio Parra, Pacho Rodríguez, Edgar Corredor, Oliverio Rincón, Patrocinio Jiménez ... the whole bunch from the 80's. Vivan los escarabajos!!
User avatar sartoris

29 Aug 2012 07:27

Quintana in my view is the best climber ( though Darwin, Chaves and Anacona-are a bit younger ).
Uran and Betancur seem to be best suited to Classics but i think both could feature at GT's. Henao is probably hyped up the most out of all and has done great this year but i still see Quintana as being the better climber- so far.

At next years TDF for Sky instead of tempo climbing it shall be: Duarte> Anacona> Darwin> Chaves> Uran> Henao> Betancur> Quintana> Froome. You heard it here first ( lol ).
I'd agree with you but then we'd both be wrong

The Grand Boucle wasn't just Europe's for the taking.

Quote:VAE
"Has Porte ever dropped Nibali in any mountain?"
D&C "He will soon..."
greenedge

29 Aug 2012 09:40

sartoris wrote:But the guys in the poll can't hold a candle to Lucho Herrera, Fabio Parra, Pacho Rodríguez, Edgar Corredor, Oliverio Rincón, Patrocinio Jiménez ... the whole bunch from the 80's. Vivan los escarabajos!!

they are alot better and more complete than those, save perhaps herrera and mejia in pure talent. but quintana I should say has more talent
User avatar Ryo Hazuki

29 Aug 2012 09:40

greenedge wrote:Quintana in my view is the best climber ( though Darwin, Chaves and Anacona-are a bit younger ).
Uran and Betancur seem to be best suited to Classics but i think both could feature at GT's. Henao is probably hyped up the most out of all and has done great this year but i still see Quintana as being the better climber- so far.

At next years TDF for Sky instead of tempo climbing it shall be: Duarte> Anacona> Darwin> Chaves> Uran> Henao> Betancur> Quintana> Froome. You heard it here first ( lol ).

quintana is younger than all the riders you named :rolleyes:
User avatar Ryo Hazuki

PreviousNext

Return to Professional road racing