Register

Lance speaking to Frank Andreu?

A place to discuss all things related to current professional road races. Here, you can also touch on the latest news relating to professional road racing. A doping discussion free forum.

Lance speaking to Frank Andreu?

05 Jul 2009 19:05

Interesting to see Lance speaking with Frankie Andreu in the Versus interviews. I would think that Lance would snub him, given how outspoken Andreau has been about claiming first hand knowledge of doping by Armstrong.
BumPhil

05 Jul 2009 19:22

Lance appears to be surprising quite a few people. There was a shot today of him sharing an animated but clearly friendly conversation with Boonen. The Dutch commentators made the point that Boonen had left USPS in 02 against Lance's express wishes, and that the two hadn't talked for some years thereafter.

Maybe he's mellowing with age? :D
User avatar Amsterhammer

05 Jul 2009 19:29

Isn't it his ex-wife who has been outspoken? It always seemed like Frankie wasn't as comfortable with it. Though he did admit that he himself took EPO and he did stand by his testimony about the conversation in the hospital, he also stated clearly that he had never personally seen Lance use anything illegal.
stephens

05 Jul 2009 19:30

Amsterhammer wrote:Maybe he's mellowing with age? :D

Or he's wondering where to find the hookers and blow these days and figures Tomke's the guy to ask. :D
stephens

05 Jul 2009 19:39

BumPhil wrote:Interesting to see Lance speaking with Frankie Andreu in the Versus interviews. I would think that Lance would snub him, given how outspoken Andreau has been about claiming first hand knowledge of doping by Armstrong.

Yea, I was wincing a bit during that interview. Lance savaged Andreu's wife after she testified in some court deposition. Interview went well (professional at least) though I imagine there has to be some hard feelings.
richwagmn

05 Jul 2009 21:33

stephens wrote:Or he's wondering where to find the hookers and blow these days and figures Tomke's the guy to ask. :D

OK, that's freaking funny.:D
Thoughtforfood

05 Jul 2009 22:56

BumPhil wrote:Interesting to see Lance speaking with Frankie Andreu in the Versus interviews. I would think that Lance would snub him, given how outspoken Andreau has been about claiming first hand knowledge of doping by Armstrong.

crisis management 101
User avatar blackcat

05 Jul 2009 22:57

Amsterhammer wrote:Lance appears to be surprising quite a few people. There was a shot today of him sharing an animated but clearly friendly conversation with Boonen. The Dutch commentators made the point that Boonen had left USPS in 02 against Lance's express wishes, and that the two hadn't talked for some years thereafter.

Maybe he's mellowing with age? :D

express wishes? Only sheep like Hincapie subsume themselves and let their identity be co-opted by the master.
User avatar blackcat

07 Jul 2009 02:15

blackcat wrote:express wishes? Only sheep like Hincapie subsume themselves and let their identity be co-opted by the master.

"sheep like Hincapie"? This is most definitely the last post I read on this forum. The dude is riding his 14th Tour, and is one of the most respected guys in the peloton, please show some respect.
girofan

07 Jul 2009 02:33

girofan wrote:"sheep like Hincapie"? This is most definitely the last post I read on this forum. The dude is riding his 14th Tour, and is one of the most respected guys in the peloton, please show some respect.

You mean it is your first and your last?:confused:
User avatar Escarabajo

07 Jul 2009 02:45

Hincapie was never going to win any GT and he has surley missed some stage wins for the "boss" but he is a professional bike racer.
He has received full team support in one day races and you only have to look at his Rubaix history to know bad luck has robbed him of at least one win and possibly two.

He lacks killer instinct I think but he is a gentleman and a tough guy on the bike.... surely deserving of the repect he gets from his peers.
Threshold

07 Jul 2009 02:47

girofan wrote:"sheep like Hincapie"? This is most definitely the last post I read on this forum. The dude is riding his 14th Tour, and is one of the most respected guys in the peloton, please show some respect.

Now that you have gone off in a huff, there is no reason to care about yout opinion. :) Sweet.

Look at the career paths Boonen and Hincapie. I lost track of how many Paris-Roubaixs and Rondes Boonen has won, but it is easy to remember the total for Hincapie. None. Nada. Zero. Zip. El Zilcho. If Hincapie had a pair then he would have left for a team where he could more often ride for himself in races that suit him. Instead he stayed as a lapdog who was forced to use his best form of the season on the Tour de France.

We could also do the same, maybe and even more appropriate, comparison using Stijn Devolder, another rider who could not stomach throwing his career away.
"Listen, my son. Trust no one! You can count on no one but yourself. Improve your skills, son. Harden your body. Become a number one man. Do not ever let anyone beat you!" -- Gekitotsu! Satsujin ken
User avatar BroDeal

07 Jul 2009 02:49

stephens wrote:Or he's wondering where to find the hookers and blow these days and figures Tomke's the guy to ask. :D

Haha that's awesome.
User avatar craig1985

08 Jul 2009 19:21

Andreau interviews him every day now. Funny.
Thoughtforfood

08 Jul 2009 20:01

BroDeal wrote:Look at the career paths Boonen and Hincapie. I lost track of how many Paris-Roubaixs and Rondes Boonen has won, but it is easy to remember the total for Hincapie. None. Nada. Zero. Zip. El Zilcho. If Hincapie had a pair then he would have left for a team where he could more often ride for himself in races that suit him. Instead he stayed as a lapdog who was forced to use his best form of the season on the Tour de France.

We could also do the same, maybe and even more appropriate, comparison using Stijn Devolder, another rider who could not stomach throwing his career away.

Don't know that I'd agree with this analysis. Maybe George actually liked being a part of team the won the Tour. And tried to balance that with his desire to win Flanders and Roubaix.
At least from a Roubaix standpoint, he's seemed to have pretty good form and good support. The fact that he has usually either finished very high or not finished at all would seem to indicate form and team support were not a huge issue. Just bad luck. Flanders is a bit of different deal. More team support might have helped him there. Not sure if he is perfectly suited to those short very steep cobbled climbs as well as Devolder, but maybe at least as well as Boonen. But there's always tradeoffs and he may actually like riding the TdF as part of a very sucessful team there.
slcbiker

08 Jul 2009 20:10

I also thought it was strange to see Frankie doing the interview. The interviews have seemed a bit strange.
User avatar SlantParallelogram

08 Jul 2009 20:33

It will be really funny if there is a positive dope control and Frankie asks Lance about that.
Bakunin

08 Jul 2009 20:34

BroDeal wrote:Now that you have gone off in a huff, there is no reason to care about yout opinion. :) Sweet.

Look at the career paths Boonen and Hincapie. I lost track of how many Paris-Roubaixs and Rondes Boonen has won, but it is easy to remember the total for Hincapie. None. Nada. Zero. Zip. El Zilcho. If Hincapie had a pair then he would have left for a team where he could more often ride for himself in races that suit him. Instead he stayed as a lapdog who was forced to use his best form of the season on the Tour de France.

Actually, he left for Columbia just for that reason. However, having Cav on your team is gonna limit your opportunities for wins. Not sure where else he could go at this point?

I think you're being kind of harsh on him. Certainly he's had some bad luck in Roubaix (a broken steerer tube has nothing to do with having a pair). But he competes hard at the races he targets. And no, he's not like Boonen. But few riders are.

And if he enjoys a support role, all the power to him. Seems like he's done pretty well for himself.
richwagmn

08 Jul 2009 20:42

richwagmn wrote:Actually, he left for Columbia just for that reason. However, having Cav on your team is gonna limit your opportunities for wins. Not sure where else he could go at this point?

I think you're being kind of harsh on him. Certainly he's had some bad luck in Roubaix (a broken steerer tube has nothing to do with having a pair). But he competes hard at the races he targets. And no, he's not like Boonen. But few riders are.

And if he enjoys a support role, all the power to him. Seems like he's done pretty well for himself.

plus his line of jeans look pretty hot!! ;)
User avatar mambo#5

08 Jul 2009 20:45

catalogbohemian

Next

Return to Professional road racing