Log in:  

Register

Vuelta 2012, Stage 16: Gijón > Cuitu Nigru (183,5 kms)

A place to discuss all things related to current professional road races. Here, you can also touch on the latest news relating to professional road racing. A doping discussion free forum.

Vuelta 2012, Stage 16: Gijon > Cuitu Nigru (183,5 kms)

02 Sep 2012 16:01

User avatar Descender
Senior Member
 
Posts: 2,905
Joined: 29 Aug 2010 11:16

02 Sep 2012 16:06

So the super hard bit is even less than 3 km?

Hopefully people from 11 or so on GC go on the attack early. Might liven up the procedings before the last 3 km.
User avatar roundabout
Senior Member
 
Posts: 12,077
Joined: 07 Jun 2010 11:43

02 Sep 2012 16:08

1. Purito
2. Contador
3. Valverde

Next.
User avatar Geraint Too Fast
Senior Member
 
Posts: 2,682
Joined: 05 Jul 2011 21:51

02 Sep 2012 16:12

Purito again.
Ryo Hazuki wrote:horrible. boonen just the same guy as years before and this course is too hard for him. that's why he rode like a coward there were at least 3 guys stronger than boonen today and none of them won: sagan, ballan, pozzato


The Hitch wrote:Goss will woop boonens candy a[color="Black"]ss[/color] in a sprint he cares about, any day of the week
User avatar El Pistolero
Senior Member
 
Posts: 14,298
Joined: 16 Jul 2010 21:53

02 Sep 2012 16:13

back in 2005,the roles were the same.

even if some still believe heras was untouchable that tour(especially because of the controversial positive),it wasn't the case.he could not get rid of menchov at all
that's where the tactics of manolo saiz proved decisive.and the strenght of liberty seguros too.

heras attacked on penultimate climb of colladiella but get rid of menchov only on the descent.after that,he was waited by all of the blue guys sent up front.

katusha is of course stronger than what was left of rabobank back then. still i can't see other chance for alberto to drop purito.he has to play some tactics,today they tried nicely even they failed.tomorrow the profile will be better for those.

i fully expect a showdown :)

rumour is that the ghost of menchov still appears sometimes at night on pajares...

Image
Vino 4ever
User avatar jens_attacks
Senior Member
 
Posts: 12,519
Joined: 08 Sep 2009 18:00

02 Sep 2012 16:13

roundabout wrote:So the super hard bit is even less than 3 km?

Hopefully people from 11 or so on GC go on the attack early. Might liven up the procedings before the last 3 km.

Yep. Just like la Bola. It's another Purito climb.
User avatar hrotha
Senior Member
 
Posts: 13,473
Joined: 10 Jun 2010 20:45

02 Sep 2012 16:14

I hope quintana, henao and uran are given a free role :rolleyes:
User avatar Ryo Hazuki
Senior Member
 
Posts: 15,578
Joined: 31 Mar 2010 13:50

02 Sep 2012 16:16

Ryo Hazuki wrote:I hope quintana, henao and uran are given a free role :rolleyes:

That would be silly. Maybe one of Henao and Urán, but not both. And definitely not Quintana. No matter how much of a fan you are, their teams have more important things to fight for.
User avatar hrotha
Senior Member
 
Posts: 13,473
Joined: 10 Jun 2010 20:45

02 Sep 2012 16:18

hrotha wrote:That would be silly. Maybe one of Henao and Urán, but not both. And definitely not Quintana. No matter how much of a fan you are, their teams have more important things to fight for.


valverde's 3rd place is save. besides movistar always have to send a rider in front for team gc. henao and uran should both get free role's obviously. they can win a stage. froome can not nor can he even enter the podium
User avatar Ryo Hazuki
Senior Member
 
Posts: 15,578
Joined: 31 Mar 2010 13:50

02 Sep 2012 16:21

jens_attacks wrote:back in 2005,the roles were the same.

even if some still believe heras was untouchable that tour(especially because of the controversial positive),it wasn't the case.he could not get rid of menchov at all
that's where the tactics of manolo saiz proved decisive.and the strenght of liberty seguros too.

heras attacked on penultimate climb of colladiella but get rid of menchov only on the descent.after that,he was waited by all of the blue guys sent up front.

katusha is of course stronger than what was left of rabobank back then. still i can't see other chance for alberto to drop purito.he has to play some tactics,today they tried nicely even they failed.tomorrow the profile will be better for those.

i fully expect a showdown :)

rumour is that the ghost of menchov still appears sometimes at night on pajares...

Image


Exactly.

Navarro, Hernandez and Majka attack on San Lorenzo, Contador goes on Cobertoria, catches them in the flat, they pace him until the last climb then Contador goes for glory.
User avatar Descender
Senior Member
 
Posts: 2,905
Joined: 29 Aug 2010 11:16

02 Sep 2012 16:23

The big question is "Will Contador attack before the 3km?"
User avatar Miburo
Senior Member
 
Posts: 6,986
Joined: 29 Jul 2012 19:33

02 Sep 2012 16:24

Didn't Heras gap Menchov downhill?

Or so the legend says, as I may have missed that bit or it wasn't on TV.
User avatar roundabout
Senior Member
 
Posts: 12,077
Joined: 07 Jun 2010 11:43

02 Sep 2012 16:26

Purito for his fourth.
"The second place is not good."
The great Alberto Contador :p
User avatar LaFlorecita
Senior Member
 
Posts: 21,256
Joined: 15 May 2011 09:53
Location: Utrecht, The Netherlands

02 Sep 2012 16:27

Miburo wrote:The big question is "Will Contador attack before the 3km?"


He won't attack cos purito will attack him ;)
"The second place is not good."
The great Alberto Contador :p
User avatar LaFlorecita
Senior Member
 
Posts: 21,256
Joined: 15 May 2011 09:53
Location: Utrecht, The Netherlands

02 Sep 2012 16:28

roundabout wrote:Didn't Heras gap Menchov downhill?

Or so the legend says, as I may have missed that bit or it wasn't on TV.


He did.

__________
User avatar Descender
Senior Member
 
Posts: 2,905
Joined: 29 Aug 2010 11:16

02 Sep 2012 16:28

Today Alberto might have played with Purito but Purito had no necessity to go full blast to close the gaps obv. Tomorrow a finish configuration suits Joaquim perfectly so I guess he'll win by 5-10 sec again.
User avatar airstream
Senior Member
 
Posts: 4,283
Joined: 29 Mar 2011 18:32
Location: Minsk

02 Sep 2012 16:32

Miburo wrote:The big question is "Will Contador attack before the 3km?"
All he has to do is have Saxo push the pace until the last 5km, and then do one big attack and sustain it, and he'll win La Vuelta. As simple as that.
Do you want to watch better bike racing? => Team radios (not race radio) must go!
User avatar cineteq
Senior Member
 
Posts: 7,598
Joined: 20 May 2009 00:52
Location: Montreal, Canada

02 Sep 2012 16:33

Hope Contador can do it, doubtful though. Will have to attack earlier probably.
inthedrops.net

blackcat wrote:you must respect the Cobra, a man who can give himself his own nickname. he trancends hubris.
User avatar luckyboy
Senior Member
 
Posts: 7,720
Joined: 26 May 2009 21:26

02 Sep 2012 16:35

cineteq wrote:All he has to do is have Saxo push the pace until the last 5km, and then do one big attack and sustain it, and he'll win La Vuelta. As simple as that.


But he can't.

(Gee there we go again.)
"The second place is not good."
The great Alberto Contador :p
User avatar LaFlorecita
Senior Member
 
Posts: 21,256
Joined: 15 May 2011 09:53
Location: Utrecht, The Netherlands

02 Sep 2012 16:56

LaFlorecita wrote:But he can't.

(Gee there we go again.)
This short he can. In fact, he's been close to winning two stages, only to fade, but he wasted his chances with previous short attacks. He just has to commit to one devastating attack. :)
Do you want to watch better bike racing? => Team radios (not race radio) must go!
User avatar cineteq
Senior Member
 
Posts: 7,598
Joined: 20 May 2009 00:52
Location: Montreal, Canada

Next

Return to Professional road racing

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: BigMac, Bing [Bot], Stelvio, Yahoo [Bot] and 23 guests

Back to top