Register

Vuelta 2012, Stage 16: Gijón > Cuitu Nigru (183,5 kms)

A place to discuss all things related to current professional road races. Here, you can also touch on the latest news relating to professional road racing. A doping discussion free forum.

04 Sep 2012 12:08

El Pistolero wrote:Yeah, but Contador will have the final laugh at the WC when he totally screws over the Spanish. ;)

He should **** them off even worse than Michele Bartoli did with Paolo Bettini. Too bad Contador is too kind for that. His attacking style reminds me of Eddy Merckx, but Eddy Merckx would have taken his revenge like he did with Freddy Maertens at the WC in 1974. Although that's not a very legal way to deal with things. :o

A guy whose entire mo is making allies is going to screw all his friends over for a race he doesn't even care much about and probably wont win even if he does screw them over for it?
The Hitch: Winner 2013 Vuelta cq game. Winner, Velorooms prediction game 2012, 2013. 2nd all time cq rankings.
The Father of Clean Cycling, Christophe Bassons wrote:When I look at cycling today, I get the impression that history is repeating itself: riders who are supposed to be rouleurs are climbing passes at the front of the race, and those who are supposed to be climbers are riding time trials at more than 50 kilometres per hour.

The story is beginning again, just as it did 14 years ago

journalist with integrity.
User avatar The Hitch

04 Sep 2012 12:27

18-Valve. (pithy) wrote:Purito and Valverde are just close friends like that. Contador, on the other hand, attacked when Valverde was behind because of a crash.

????? when did Contador attack when Valverde was down? Katusha did until Purito heard Valverde was on the floor, then they came off the front. Saxo never went to the front. It was Sky and Katusha.
Carol S.
~~~~
Alberto Contador: "And yes, it is true that for me it's the same to finish second or 10th."

Vincezo Nibali joins Anquetil, Gimondi, Merckx, Hinault and Contador as only the 6th winner of all 3 Grand Tours! Bravo Lo Squalo!
Carols

04 Sep 2012 12:28

carols wrote:????? When did contador attack when valverde was down? Katusha did until purito heard valverde was on the floor, then they came off the front. Saxo never went to the front. It was sky and katusha.

_____
User avatar airstream

04 Sep 2012 12:49

airstream wrote:2008.
_____

Vuelta? I have it...do you know the stage? It's a rest day will have a look.

Thanks!
Carol S.
~~~~
Alberto Contador: "And yes, it is true that for me it's the same to finish second or 10th."

Vincezo Nibali joins Anquetil, Gimondi, Merckx, Hinault and Contador as only the 6th winner of all 3 Grand Tours! Bravo Lo Squalo!
Carols

04 Sep 2012 13:39

Carols wrote:????? when did Contador attack when Valverde was down? Katusha did until Purito heard Valverde was on the floor, then they came off the front. Saxo never went to the front. It was Sky and Katusha.

On Valdezcaray when Valverde was very close to catching back the group.
User avatar roundabout

04 Sep 2012 13:50

El Pistolero wrote:Yeah, but Contador will have the final laugh at the WC when he totally screws over the Spanish. ;)

He should **** them off even worse than Michele Bartoli did with Paolo Bettini. Too bad Contador is too kind for that. His attacking style reminds me of Eddy Merckx, but Eddy Merckx would have taken his revenge like he did with Freddy Maertens at the WC in 1974. Although that's not a very legal way to deal with things. :o

That would be so awesome :D but yeah he won't do it he's too nice :rolleyes:
"The second place is not good."
The great Alberto Contador :p
User avatar LaFlorecita

04 Sep 2012 13:51

The Hitch wrote:A guy whose entire mo is making allies is going to screw all his friends over for a race he doesn't even care much about and probably wont win even if he does screw them over for it?

Lol too true :D
"The second place is not good."
The great Alberto Contador :p
User avatar LaFlorecita

04 Sep 2012 22:11

Jelantik wrote:is it just me, or it looked like valverde sorta gank up with purito to get ride off contador on the last climb? Plus purito comment yesterday to valverde before the start: "let's get some win today" Hm… you and moi? like in the first week?? b/c Valverde has been the one that campaigning to say contador is nervous, contador is attacking at the wrong place etc. etc. Wonder if he doesn't want contador to win GT right after a ban. Otherwise, that would be spectacular!! If, it took him all year long to get his rhythm back, maybe he is hoping that AC should pay his due first…

Now that you mention it I do remember reading some where that Purito had said to Valverde about having him as an ally to help him (Purito) win the Vuelta since Valverde had already won a GT and Contador had won too many that he (Contador) can't even count them - or something like that - which makes sense to your observations :eek:

But of course I could be wrong :o
User avatar sacrifice&hardwork

06 Sep 2012 00:19

trevim wrote:Contador will probably attack on Fuente De just because he can :D

Parrulo wrote:mark my words, contador wins the vuelta there

Not exactly on point. But good enough for a soothsayer.

Can you do Lotto as well? If so I'd like a word. :cool:
User avatar RedFury

24 Nov 2012 18:44

It's almost winter, so now cyclist are resting. So I was remembering one of the best stages of the year.

It was fun to read again the comments about this stage on this post, people thought the Vuelta was decided after a lot of up-hill finishes and three big moutains with crazy mountains.

You can watch 20 minutes here of the last one of the "trípitico", Gijón-Cuitu Negru:
http://www.rtve.es/alacarta/videos/vuelta-ciclista-a-espana/ascension-integra-cuitu-negro/1519550/

After that, an "easy" stage was going to change the point of view of everyone:
http://forum.cyclingnews.com/showthread.php?t=18446

And the the "Bola del Mundo" almost change the opinion of everyone again with the last attempt from Putiro. :p
Asturiano

Previous

Return to Professional road racing