Register

Vuelta 2012, Stage 16: Gijón > Cuitu Nigru (183,5 kms)

A place to discuss all things related to current professional road races. Here, you can also touch on the latest news relating to professional road racing. A doping discussion free forum.

02 Sep 2012 19:08

All about the queen stage of Cuitu Negro (final climb profile, old videos, route...)

http://www.revistadesdelacuneta.com/tengopagina.php?page=v12et16
User avatar rantanplan

02 Sep 2012 19:14

Ryo Hazuki wrote:I hope quintana, henao and uran are given a free role :rolleyes:

Especially Henao and Uran have been awesome. Without them Froome would have lost massively more.
People who don't understand cycling must think Contador is a pretty violent person, when all they hear is Contador ATTACKS, ATTACKS ,ATTACKS

http://chrisfroomelookingatstems.tumblr.com/
User avatar No_Balls

02 Sep 2012 19:19

The question is from how far will Bertie attack. Attacking in the last 3 Kms will not be enough. And Saxo aren't known to ride tempo either. I think Bertie will wait till Stage 20 to give it an all or nothing. They may try a similar tactic to the one they adopted today.

otherwise will have to pray for Purito's bad day in the mountains.
User avatar the asian

02 Sep 2012 20:06

LaFlorecita wrote:But he can't.

(Gee there we go again.)

Disagree. AC just needs to feels good sensations at the beginning of the day. Purito is at the reserve tank right now. Closing the gap solo for the first attack was a mistake. He was in heavy red there and if AC had contnued, Purito would have cracked.
jilbiker

02 Sep 2012 20:10

jilbiker wrote:Disagree. AC just needs to feels good sensations at the beginning of the day. Purito is at the reserve tank right now. Closing the gap solo for the first attack was a mistake. He was in heavy red there and if AC had contnued, Purito would have cracked.

I hope I'm wrong but Purito seemed very comfortable. And there are only 2 mountain stages left. Time is running out.
"The second place is not good."
The great Alberto Contador :p
User avatar LaFlorecita

02 Sep 2012 20:13

LaFlorecita wrote:I hope I'm wrong but Purito seemed very comfortable. And there are only 2 mountain stages left. Time is running out.

Did he? the last attack he used his time to get up to ACs wheel, but there was to easy terrain
"I know how to ride my bike" - Nibali

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w9LBsWCNE9I

Vuelta 06 - the greatest gt in history!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=24TQdI7csHs
Vino attacks everyone

02 Sep 2012 20:13

airstream wrote:Today Alberto might have played with Purito but Purito had no necessity to go full blast to close the gaps obv. Tomorrow a finish configuration suits Joaquim perfectly so I guess he'll win by 5-10 sec again.

I just watched the race and I didn't get the impression Contador played with Rodriguez. It was more like Rodriguez played with Contador.

"So Alberto, how often are you going to try before you give up?" :)
User avatar Kwibus

02 Sep 2012 20:19

Kwibus wrote:I just watched the race and I didn't get the impression Contador played with Rodriguez. It was more like Rodriguez played with Contador.

Yeah that exactly.
"The second place is not good."
The great Alberto Contador :p
User avatar LaFlorecita

02 Sep 2012 20:36

I don't know if you can watch "los pericopuertos" out of Spain, you can watch many of the climbs of Vuelta like Cuitu Negru:
http://www.rtve.es/deportes/ciclismo/vuelta-espana/
Asturiano

02 Sep 2012 20:53

Kwibus wrote:I just watched the race and I didn't get the impression Contador played with Rodriguez. It was more like Rodriguez played with Contador.

Rodriguez was as much on his limit as Contador was.

Rodriguez almost sinked through his arms during Contador's last violent acceleration. But of course Contador had no real accelerations left after that either.
"It is going to be very scary." - Tom Boonen*
User avatar Panda Claws

02 Sep 2012 20:54

LaFlorecita wrote:Yeah that exactly.

Best part is that Contador has an iron will. He will keep on trying anyways. If he doesn't succeed well that's too bad, but he will die trying. That's for sure.

What Rodriguez is doing right now is mind blowing. Something he has never ever been capable of doing before. This Giro he allready showed he was able to ride with the best on the longer climbs. Now he's holding of Alberto who maybe isn't at his best yet, but certainly isn't riding like a whimp :)
User avatar Kwibus

02 Sep 2012 20:55

Panda Claws wrote:Rodriguez was as much on his limit as Contador was.

Rodriguez almost sinked through his arms during Contador's last violent acceleration. But of course Contador had no real accelerations left after that either.

Ofcourse he was on his limit, but he was there. Always directly riding next to Alberto once he caught up. Like he was trying to show Alberto asap that he wasn't going to get rid of him.
User avatar Kwibus

02 Sep 2012 21:05

Kwibus wrote:Ofcourse he was on his limit, but he was there. Always directly riding next to Alberto once he caught up. Like he was trying to show Alberto asap that he wasn't going to get rid of him.

Yeah, it seemed as if he was really trying to intimidate Contador.

I do agree with you by the way, Rodriguez is a little bit stronger at the moment.
"It is going to be very scary." - Tom Boonen*
User avatar Panda Claws

02 Sep 2012 21:30

Looks like the queen stage to me, should be fun! Must be tough for Riis and Bertie, 22" is nothing so it's hard to take massive risks with an early attack...there's goin to be a carnage on Bola!
webvan

02 Sep 2012 22:01

Good thing there is no stage to Pico Veleta. Contador would have the time to launch so many attacks he finally drops Rodriguez, only to find he's still only halfway up the mountain and see the rest of the top ten fly by:D
Let us remember what happened on March 16th, 2014

The Hitch wrote:Red Rick. Road Race forum MVP 2014.

The Hitch wrote:#RedRick4RCSRaceDirector.
Red Rick

02 Sep 2012 22:11

Asturiano

02 Sep 2012 22:20

contador is not gonna drop purito in a million years. It is quite clear to me that Purito has a ton in hand, he has never looked in the slightest difficulty at any stage in this Vuelta. When Contador was attacking today Purito was just cruising back up to him, doing some of it still sat in the saddle!! There is simply no concievable tactic that will make Contador gain time on Purito. And I am not some Purito fanboy saddo, I am just saying what is clear to see
willbick

02 Sep 2012 22:23

Asturiano wrote:The last 100 km of the stage with photos
http://39x28.blogia.com/2012/090101-gijon-cuitu-negru-asi-es-la-etapa.php

Nice job mate. Very useful :)
User avatar SafeBet

02 Sep 2012 22:28

Kwibus wrote:Ofcourse he was on his limit, but he was there. Always directly riding next to Alberto once he caught up. Like he was trying to show Alberto asap that he wasn't going to get rid of him.

But as we all know, Contador will never stop attacking. And just imagine that Purito will be once over his limit, and will not be able to follow, and imagine that Moreno will not be there because Majka's previous performance. As many wrote, 22 seconds is nothing, and Contador need cone Purito to crack, and all could be over. Cuitu Negru and Bole del Mundo are neither an easy climbs, so there is a real chance. Purito is strong, but the two hardest stage is still left.
Alberto 'The Legend' Contador: winner of the Vuelta 2012! I will never forget!

Hesjedal!
User avatar vcampbell

02 Sep 2012 22:29

I don't think Contador will ever get intimidated by Purito. :o

He well keep trying until the last mountain.
Ryo Hazuki wrote:horrible. boonen just the same guy as years before and this course is too hard for him. that's why he rode like a coward there were at least 3 guys stronger than boonen today and none of them won: sagan, ballan, pozzato

The Hitch wrote:Goss will woop boonens candy a[color="Black"]ss[/color] in a sprint he cares about, any day of the week
User avatar El Pistolero

PreviousNext

Return to Professional road racing