Register

College Football

Grab a short black and come join in the non-cycling discussion. Favourite books, movies, holiday destinations, other sports - chat about it all in the cafe.

Moderators: Eshnar, Irondan, King Boonen, Red Rick, Pricey_sky

02 Dec 2018 15:48

A good day of NCAA football yesterday! The event of the day was Hurts coming in to help win the game (lots of story there!). The top three won't change but I'm curious what will happen with the fourth spot. UCF, OS, and O can all argue that they deserve the final spot. I know the committee doesn't have the balls to put a deserving UCF in there and without Milton UCF's argument is weaker. Really, I'd like to see all of the conference champions in the playoff.

One talking head suggested that the committee would "punish" ND for not having a championship by putting them in the fourth spot.

EDIT: O gets the nod...
jmdirt

04 Dec 2018 02:13

Heisman? That's a tough call. I always prefer the MVP of the league be the leader of the championship team so I'll take Tua (of course that assumes that the tide rolls and that he plays). They are definitely three guys who will make a chunk of change in the near future and maybe be stars on Sunday someday too.
jmdirt

06 Dec 2018 03:50

Yikes, we get to play Ohio State in the Rose Bowl?

I already have 25cents riding on Ohio State - please don't hurt us Dawgs too badly? :(
User avatar Tricycle Rider

06 Dec 2018 21:56

Well Rose Bowl this year is what it is supposed to be: The Big Ten and Pac Ten champions. :)
User avatar Koronin

08 Dec 2018 20:22

Tide are gaming their competition: "Tua is on target...". OU has to game plan for both QBs. G got gamed twice: plan for Hurts-get smacked by Tua, plan for Tua-get smacked by Hurts.
jmdirt

08 Dec 2018 22:49

I hope everyone here is watching the Holiday Bowl..the only game that really counts
Unchained

Re:

09 Dec 2018 00:01

Unchained wrote:I hope everyone here is watching the Holiday Bowl..the only game that really counts

Counts for what though? :D
jmdirt

Re: Re:

09 Dec 2018 03:55

jmdirt wrote:
Unchained wrote:I hope everyone here is watching the Holiday Bowl..the only game that really counts

Counts for what though? :D

Counts for being one of the older Bowl games?
User avatar Koronin

09 Dec 2018 15:46

The Holiday Bowl is safe for now..it always would be better if BYU plays because the attendance is better and there is actually a noticeable increase in tourist traffic..and in San Diego that's not easy.
College football in San Diego has morphed into something pretty good..University of San Diego..a religious school that had a two for graduation of good teachers and lawyers now has a budding football program...San Diego State ..the Aztecs are the football growth in the region..when the Chargers split SDSU inherited a deserted NFL fan base ..lots more Aztec ball caps and bumper stickers..the Chargers and Aztecs both played at Jack Murphy Stadium..which was renamed Qualcomm Stadium after the cell phone chip giant that is a San Diego heavy..Qualcomm dropped sponsorship..the reason for all the fighting..nobody wanted to pay the @$600 million to give the Chargers the stadium they were demanding..the Holiday Bowl is played at the Murph for now..the stadium is set for demolition and SDSU wants to expand its campus and build a new stadium..we shall see..but I don't see a bright future for the Holiday Bowl..especially during the demo and construction phase of the area redevelopment..
All teams including the Chargers are doing good since the NFL left San Diego..
Unchained

Re:

15 Dec 2018 16:24

Unchained wrote:The Holiday Bowl is safe for now..it always would be better if BYU plays because the attendance is better and there is actually a noticeable increase in tourist traffic..and in San Diego that's not easy.
College football in San Diego has morphed into something pretty good..University of San Diego..a religious school that had a two for graduation of good teachers and lawyers now has a budding football program...San Diego State ..the Aztecs are the football growth in the region..when the Chargers split SDSU inherited a deserted NFL fan base ..lots more Aztec ball caps and bumper stickers..the Chargers and Aztecs both played at Jack Murphy Stadium..which was renamed Qualcomm Stadium after the cell phone chip giant that is a San Diego heavy..Qualcomm dropped sponsorship..the reason for all the fighting..nobody wanted to pay the @$600 million to give the Chargers the stadium they were demanding..the Holiday Bowl is played at the Murph for now..the stadium is set for demolition and SDSU wants to expand its campus and build a new stadium..we shall see..but I don't see a bright future for the Holiday Bowl..especially during the demo and construction phase of the area redevelopment..
All teams including the Chargers are doing good since the NFL left San Diego..

That's sad. I hope it survives. It might be a smaller Bowl game, but it is one of the older ones and usually a fun one. Although the only Bowl game I've been to in the newer one in Charlotte as we used to live just outside of Charlotte.
User avatar Koronin

Re: College Football

28 Dec 2018 12:56

Shocker at Clemson: Starting DT Dexter Lawrence and 2 other backups test positive for a banned substance (ostarine) and will not be eligible for the playoff game against ND:

https://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/ncaaf/acc/2018/12/27/dabo-swinney-clemson-wants-common-sense-committee-deal-drug-tests/2425287002/

This is a big blow for Clemson. The 350 lb Lawrence is their best DL and is projected as a mid 1st rd pick next year. Will see if ND is able to take advantage of Lawrence's absence and get their running game going early on.

Also interesting will be the Fiesta Bowl with #8 UCF vs #11 LSU. The moment we all have been waiting for. Though UCF is without Mckenzie Milton, this is their chance to knockoff a SEC powerhouse, quiet the skeptics and send a strong message to the CFP committee.
Nomad

01 Jan 2019 15:02

The table is set for the title game. It should be a great game!
jmdirt

Re:

02 Jan 2019 21:57

jmdirt wrote:The table is set for the title game. It should be a great game!
I've got my 25cents on Bama already, but as you said, hopefully it'll be a great game.(Hopefully Clemson will take them to the cleaners!)

As an aside - Didn't even watch the Rose Bowl seeing as I couldn't bear to, but the Huskies losing to the Buckeyes by only 5 points ain't half bad. I'll take it.
User avatar Tricycle Rider

03 Jan 2019 16:37

Scrolling up thread you'll see that I put a lot of weight on UCF's winning record. I was hoping that they could beat LSU to prove the doubters wrong (again), but knew that without Milton it was nearly impossible (Mack can't be as good as Milton but he wasn't even as good as Mack in that game). Playing that close with LSU with a backup QB should at least give the doubter some pause.
jmdirt

Re:

04 Jan 2019 15:47

jmdirt wrote:Scrolling up thread you'll see that I put a lot of weight on UCF's winning record. I was hoping that they could beat LSU to prove the doubters wrong (again), but knew that without Milton it was nearly impossible (Mack can't be as good as Milton but he wasn't even as good as Mack in that game). Playing that close with LSU with a backup QB should at least give the doubter some pause.
But was LSU that motivated for the game? Look at #5 Georgia losing to #15 Texas in the Sugar. I don't think Texas is a better team than Georgia. IMO, both Georgia & LSU had letdowns not making the playoffs. UCF had everything to gain and nothing to lose. With LSU & Georgia there's a lot of pressure for both those schools to make the playoffs. They both have top 5 recruiting classes every year and the expectations are very high (that's why Les Miles was fired in 2016 after going a very respectable 114–34 in 11 seasons with a National title in 07 and two SEC titles during his tenure).

UCF even with Milton couldn't have beaten either Bama or Clemson in the playoff. I think ND is a better team than UCF and ND got hammered by Clemson, even without their best D-Lineman (Dexter Lawrence). Clearly the two best teams are playing in the championship...so it worked out perfectly this year. Swinney vs Saban. And interestingly, these two teams were ranked #1 & #2 in both the AP & ESPN preseason polls (who would have thought. Lol)

https://bleacherreport.com/articles/2791037-ap-preseason-poll-2018-complete-college-football-rankings-released

http://www.espn.com/college-football/story/_/id/24175579/college-football-preseason-power-rankings

The only area that Clemson isn't right on the bumper of Bama was this year's recruiting class. As expected Bama was #1 but Clemson was down a little at #5 (Alabama/Georgia/Texas A&M/LSU/Clemson).
Nomad

08 Jan 2019 04:41

I expected a tough back and forth game in the 30s, likely with A winning... none of that is going to happen!
jmdirt

08 Jan 2019 15:23

You're sure right about that...an unexciting game for the most part. An uncharacteristic defeat by Alabama by such a wide margin. Sensational performance by the Freshman Trevor Lawrence (347 yds passing, 3 TDs, no picks).

Interestingly, Lawrence (5-star & #1 ranked PS QB) started the season as the second QB in Clemson's two-player rotation with incumbent starter & 4-star recruit Kelly Bryant (he was the starter all of 2017 including the loss against Bama in last year's playoff). After the 4th game of the season, Swinney made the decision to go with Lawrence as the full-time starter which prompted Bryant to transfer (I believe he's enrolling at Missouri for the 2019 season). So, Swinney must have known something at that point. Who's to second guess...an undefeated season & National Championship!

In seven short months, it all starts over again. :)
Last edited by Nomad on 09 Jan 2019 08:02, edited 1 time in total.
Nomad

08 Jan 2019 15:32

Nomad wrote:You're sure right about that...an unexciting game for the most part. An uncharacteristic defeat by Alabama by such a wide margin. Sensational performance by the Freshman Trevor Lawrence (347 yds passing, 3 TDs, no picks).

Interestingly, Lawrence (5-star & #1 ranked PP QB) started the season as the second QB in Clemson's two-player rotation with incumbent starter & 4-star recruit Kelly Bryant (he was the starter all of 2017 including the loss against Bama in last year's playoff). After the 4th game of the season, Swinney made the decision to go with Lawrence as the fulltime starter which prompted Bryant to transfer (I believe he's enrolling at Missouri for the 2019 season). So, Swinney must have known something at that point. Who's to second guess...an undefeated season & National Championship!

In seven short months, it all starts over again. :)

Sunshine is pretty amazing. Also, all the other SEC coaches will be taking notes on how to beat Bama.
User avatar on3m@n@rmy
Veteran

08 Jan 2019 16:25

What I saw..Nick Saban over and over wasted his first two downs by running off guard or tackle..the up the guy wasn't working. He needed higher risk in order to win..but the main thing I saw was a fantastic football played in every way Trevor Lawrence..a real pleasure to watch..
Unchained

PreviousNext

Return to General