Register

Victoria Pendleton

From the kilo to the hour record, if it's on the velodrome it goes in here

Victoria Pendleton

09 Sep 2012 19:49

Interesting interview in the Guardian. I always thought of her as an 'emotional' person but did not realise the sort of severe behaviour going on in private.

Watching the SKY documentary it is easy to laugh at all the 'Inner Chimp' stuff (I doubt I could buy into it) but it seems that it had a huge impact on her. Be interesting if she ever goes back to being involved in cycling. I suspect not.

Anyone else thinking of buying her biography?

I was awarded 'Most Aggressive Rider of the Day', generally given to the most spectacular loser of the day.

― David Millar, Racing Through the Dark
User avatar Don't be late Pedro

10 Sep 2012 02:52

Link please?
User avatar Master50

10 Sep 2012 02:55

Master50 wrote:Link please?

Does not show up that well but just click on 'interview' below.

Don't be late Pedro wrote:Interesting interview in the Guardian.
I was awarded 'Most Aggressive Rider of the Day', generally given to the most spectacular loser of the day.

10 Sep 2012 09:49

Mad as a bag of ferrets.
[SIZE="4"]Proud SKY fanboy since 22/08/2012[/SIZE]

[SIZE="5"]"You have no idea the power of the dark side of the Force"[/SIZE]
User avatar User Guide

10 Sep 2012 15:36

User Guide wrote:Mad as a bag of ferrets.

Lol, I think `like a bag of ferrets' was a term used by P.G. Wodehouse to describe the pert bottom of a sexy young lady in one of his Jeeves and Wooster novels! Still I think it works just as well for Pendleton.
Hawkwood

11 Sep 2012 02:13

User Guide wrote:Mad as a bag of ferrets.

I always found her pretty endearing but then again she is pretty cute and I am pretty shallow.

Seems like she is going on Strictly Come Dancing

11 Sep 2012 12:13

Those abs :eek: :cool:
User avatar Pulpstar

15 Sep 2012 06:10

15 Sep 2012 12:17

has anyone read her book? worth picking up? hopefully, it has a centerfold...:)
The Gnome

Yeah, had a look at the book

19 Sep 2012 07:34

It's an interesting read.

It's certainly not your anodyne sporting biography - she paints a not very flattering picture of a number of people, including family members and some well-known people in cycling, and she admits to some quite dark times.

It's also a good insight into the sausage factory that Olympic sport has become, one that as a parent you'd hesitate to let your child get involved in.

But all in all there are plenty of worse ways to spend a few hours and a few bucks.
rgmerk

19 Sep 2012 07:50

rgmerk wrote:It's an interesting read.

It's certainly not your anodyne sporting biography - she paints a not very flattering picture of a number of people, including family members and some well-known people in cycling, and she admits to some quite dark times.

It's also a good insight into the sausage factory that Olympic sport has become, one that as a parent you'd hesitate to let your child get involved in.

But all in all there are plenty of worse ways to spend a few hours and a few bucks.

Thanks for the overview. From interviews and a documentary it seems that her competitive cycling really grew out of trying to compete for the attention of her dad. I assume it goes into much more detail about this in the book?

One thing I did watch that was very telling (to me at least) was an interview with her dad. He was at his house where there is Vicky's first track world cup jersey signed and on display. I expected him to say how proud he was about her but he started talking about how he wished he had won it. Perhaps I am reading too much into it but it struck me as rather odd.

19 Sep 2012 10:15

User avatar fmk_RoI

21 Sep 2012 10:25

Bella Bathurst doesn't quite get Pendleton's autobiog http://www.guardian.co.uk/books/2012/sep/21/victoria-pendleton-between-lines-review

Surprised, given that Bathurst has a rather daft belief that pro cycling can't exist without suffering.

BTW, rather than being the rush job Bathurst suggests it is, the book has been in the works since before Beijing (was announced alongside Hoy's autobiog) and much of it was completed before London Games.
User avatar fmk_RoI

22 Oct 2012 14:32

There is something rather narcissitic about Pendleton Sr; and in a slightly modified form one might even say it has been passed on. If anything the father seems, well...resentful...of Victoria's success - not only does he wish he'd done it himself, but he's actually a bit peeved she turned out to be better than him. Very odd man, and not terribly likable.
User avatar martinvickers

23 Feb 2013 14:40

Don't be late Pedro wrote:Interesting interview in the Guardian. I always thought of her as an 'emotional' person but did not realise the sort of severe behaviour going on in private.

Watching the SKY documentary it is easy to laugh at all the 'Inner Chimp' stuff (I doubt I could buy into it) but it seems that it had a huge impact on her. Be interesting if she ever goes back to being involved in cycling. I suspect not.

Anyone else thinking of buying her biography?

I think people are naive about Miss Pendleton. Those running BC are practically a cult with all the horrors that entails - some of which comes out in her biography in a round about way (self-harm not excluded), but it is almost certainly one sided.
User avatar horsinabout

23 Feb 2013 16:30

martinvickers wrote:There is something rather narcissitic about Pendleton Sr; and in a slightly modified form one might even say it has been passed on. If anything the father seems, well...resentful...of Victoria's success - not only does he wish he'd done it himself, but he's actually a bit peeved she turned out to be better than him. Very odd man, and not terribly likable.

I always used to find her a little odd and slightly annoying. Since she's retired and opened up about her background, it begins to make a bit more sense

After an understandly nervy start, she's settling in well as a pundit for the BBC. Much more engaging and informative than most of them
postmanhat

23 Feb 2013 16:52

horsinabout wrote:I think people are naive about Miss Pendleton. Those running BC have no emotional intelligence and are practically a cult with all the horrors that entails - some of which comes out in her biography in a round about way (self-harm not excluded), but it is almost certainly one sided.

It is rather easy to forget, in the midst of VP's complaining about the maelstrom, that some people rather enjoy that maelstrom, even thrive on it - and VP is pretty obviously one of those. Only really happy when at the centre of a tornado.
Sometimes, I wish all the bits of my life had an ignore button...

hrotha wrote:Following pro cycling is like reading A Song of Ice and Fire. You better not get too attached to any of the characters.

Opinions are a bit like a**eholes. Everybody has one, and they are often full of the same thing.

23 Feb 2013 16:55

postmanhat wrote:I always used to find her a little odd and slightly annoying. Since she's retired and opened up about her background, it begins to make a bit more sense

After an understandly nervy start, she's settling in well as a pundit for the BBC. Much more engaging and informative than most of them

Engaging is kind of VP's modus operandi, Postmanhat. At the risk of sexist condecension, she comes across of someone constantly demanding the affection/attention of others - which almost certainly goes back to Daddy - and she is therefore and thereby a perfect fit for TV.
Sometimes, I wish all the bits of my life had an ignore button...

hrotha wrote:Following pro cycling is like reading A Song of Ice and Fire. You better not get too attached to any of the characters.

Opinions are a bit like a**eholes. Everybody has one, and they are often full of the same thing.

23 Feb 2013 18:00

martinvickers wrote:Engaging is kind of VP's modus operandi, Postmanhat. At the risk of sexist condecension, she comes across of someone constantly demanding the affection/attention of others - which almost certainly goes back to Daddy - and she is therefore and thereby a perfect fit for TV.

Agree here, center of attentioni is the narcasstic feed with VP.

As for being good on TV, well she has come across to me as very vain. You only had to watch Strictly, when she pis*ed off Louis Smith, in fact she out and out depressed him. Reason why? most likely she could'nt compete (two left feet) and be center of attention and they all new it on that show.

There is no sexism ins saying this stuff about VP.
User avatar horsinabout

25 Feb 2013 22:25

Maybe I'm buying into her 'journey' too much, or some of you lot are too cycnical? Think she is a lot more relaxed these days and did enjoy her contributions to the BBC's coverage.

Also playing the 'not sexist' card, but she's pretty much guaranteed to become a fixture as a pundit. Possibly even moving trackside?
postmanhat

Next

Return to General