Register

Do You Care About Woman Cycling?

A place to discuss all things related to current professional road races. Here, you can also touch on the latest news relating to professional road racing. A doping discussion free forum.

Do You Care About Woman Cycling?

Poll ended at 21 Sep 2012 18:38

No.
43%
Yes.
44%
I only care about Marianne Vos, truly amazing.
13%

Total votes : 162

16 Sep 2012 20:21

RedheadDane wrote:Yes! I care. But of course, I simply care about cycling.:D

This exactly, same for me, I care about cycling in general.

I take a bigger interest in men's cycling obviously because there is more coverage of it and there is more of it. But if there was more woman's cycling and more coverage of it I would definitely take a bigger interest in it.
User avatar Afrank

16 Sep 2012 20:43

I saw England V Brazil womens football at the Olympics and it was brilliant. Ok so they may not be able to kick the ball as far as the men and their shots are not as powerful... but my god it was one brilliant game. The tackles were just as hard and not one player ever started crying or *****ing at the ref. They just picked themselves up off the floor and started running again. They played with pride, respect and passion.

And it's the same with womens cycling. They race not to be rich or famous but because they're passionate about the sport.

It's why I love womens racing. They don't do it in the hope of making it big, but because they love doing it. The races are different to which makes for a nice contrast with the men.
User avatar Izzy eviel

16 Sep 2012 21:05

Northern rider wrote:With that garbage, i couldn't give a toss about anything you think

Alright, maybe I was a bit too crass there.

I do care about women's cycling, it's just it depends on the camera angles.
User avatar Descender

16 Sep 2012 21:16

DominicDecoco wrote:Very little. The Olympics was an exellent race but the few races I've previously watched were rather poor - topped with the WC 2011 which was pretty much a big fat middle finger towards the sport of cycling itself. (And no - the bad route wasn't to blame solely).

Just mostly to blame. The men's race was not any better. The people who okayed that course should be put up against the wall. The men ended up with the disgrace of Cavendish as world champion.

Women's racing can offer more exciting racing because there is a large variance in performance, much larger than there is for the men. A lot of one day races should have a women's race that finishes an hour before the men's.
"Listen, my son. Trust no one! You can count on no one but yourself. Improve your skills, son. Harden your body. Become a number one man. Do not ever let anyone beat you!" -- Gekitotsu! Satsujin ken
User avatar BroDeal

16 Sep 2012 21:28

For the moment i don't care too.much about women's cycling for the same reason i don't care about omloop het neiusbald and kbk- its is not shown on eurosport. If women's races were on tv i definitely would care.
The Hitch: Winner 2013 Vuelta cq game. Winner, Velorooms prediction game 2012, 2013. 2nd all time cq rankings.
The Father of Clean Cycling, Christophe Bassons wrote:When I look at cycling today, I get the impression that history is repeating itself: riders who are supposed to be rouleurs are climbing passes at the front of the race, and those who are supposed to be climbers are riding time trials at more than 50 kilometres per hour.

The story is beginning again, just as it did 14 years ago

journalist with integrity.
User avatar The Hitch

16 Sep 2012 21:38

Netserk wrote:Maybe I already expressed my opinion, no?

Maybe because it is crazy to think that any women can push the same watts for an hour as Tony ;)

According to es today Emma pooley has a higher power to weight ratio than any man or woman.
The Hitch: Winner 2013 Vuelta cq game. Winner, Velorooms prediction game 2012, 2013. 2nd all time cq rankings.
The Father of Clean Cycling, Christophe Bassons wrote:When I look at cycling today, I get the impression that history is repeating itself: riders who are supposed to be rouleurs are climbing passes at the front of the race, and those who are supposed to be climbers are riding time trials at more than 50 kilometres per hour.

User avatar The Hitch

16 Sep 2012 22:16

The Hitch wrote:According to es today Emma pooley has a higher power to weight ratio than any man or woman.

I don't suppose there is a table for that anywhere? Be interesting to see a top 10 or something like that.
I was awarded 'Most Aggressive Rider of the Day', generally given to the most spectacular loser of the day.

― David Millar, Racing Through the Dark
User avatar Don't be late Pedro

16 Sep 2012 22:19

Netserk wrote:I love the Hawaii :D

Pineapple on pizza = GOOD :p

Now that's a very bold claim, that might need a poll too :)
labratty

16 Sep 2012 22:56

Sports marketing is geared toward men who likely participated in said sport at some level. I'd say a lot of men are living vicariously through whomever they identify with as their favourite.

I've seen a lot of great games (hockey) and races (cycling) in which men did not participate. But that doesn't matter unless there's a huge female audience in order to justify networks or publications pushing the sport.
the delgados

16 Sep 2012 23:03

Don't be late Pedro wrote:I don't suppose there is a table for that anywhere? Be interesting to see a top 10 or something like that.

I dont but twas harmonn that said it. Maybe if you tweet him he will have a source for it.

User avatar The Hitch

16 Sep 2012 23:07

The Hitch wrote:I dont but twas harmonn that said it. Maybe if you tweet him he will have a source for it.

She's about the same size as José Rujano, so that could be really interesting information if true.
User avatar Libertine Seguros

16 Sep 2012 23:11

I'm just reading up on women's cycling and watching what I can on youtube after the Olympics and in preparation for the Worlds.
It's one of those things where you kind of have to go out of your way to find out about it and keep up to date.

The solution, I guess, is more televised women's races (I find when they're on concurrently with the men's people watch them and enjoy them) and more support from the UCI. I'm sure with a bit of attention and investment it would grow and grow.
benny_profane

16 Sep 2012 23:53

It'd be nice if it grows, gets more coverage etc.. but I don't think I would watch it. Maybe an odd race here or there but I wouldn't seek it out.

The Hitch wrote:For the moment i don't care too.much about women's cycling for the same reason i don't care about omloop het neiusbald and kbk- its is not shown on eurosport. If women's races were on tv i definitely would care.

:eek:
inthedrops.net

blackcat wrote:you must respect the Cobra, a man who can give himself his own nickname. he trancends hubris.
User avatar luckyboy

17 Sep 2012 00:06

The Hitch wrote: i don't care about omloop het neiusbald and kbk- its is not shown on eurosport

so u rather miss omloop than watch a stream?
somewhat surprised by that
how come?
woodenswan

17 Sep 2012 02:17

I like cycling. I like to see people giving their all. You can see this in mens cycling an women's cycling. Some mens races are boring and some exciting, the same with women's races. Yes, the depth isn't the same because much fewer women can make any kind of a living at it. Regardless, the gals give just as much as the guys and I respect that and think women's cycling deserves a lot more respect and support.
9000ft

17 Sep 2012 02:31

DominicDecoco wrote:Very little. The Olympics was an exellent race but the few races I've previously watched were rather poor - topped with the WC 2011 which was pretty much a big fat middle finger towards the sport of cycling itself. (And no - the bad route wasn't to blame solely).

Cycling is different, isn't it. You can't - in the same way - see that the level might be lower than the male's races since it's basically just the speeds that differ. Football, however, is different. I've watched enough womens Champions League and World Cups to see that it's god awful. That might not be a popular opinion but that's the truth.

Womens football is coming on in leaps and bounds to the point where it is actually watchable at the highest level.Hence 80,000 crowd at Wembley for GB v Brazil..
simo1733

17 Sep 2012 03:08

i think cycling is one of the sports that suits woman as an event, it is a challenge of their physical ability with limited skill involved,would love see grand tour style coverage of their big race and see how good it is.
Preview of the 2015 Vuelta a Espana with a great outright field: http://sbbcolumns.co.uk/vuelta-a-espana-2015-cycling-preview/
User avatar manafana

17 Sep 2012 05:12

How can I say this without sounding like a douch? Maybe this will help, I used to be coached by an ex-Olympian woman and former top professional. She was tough, smart and a great motivator. She's a good friend. So I have nothing against women's cycling, per se.

But...I frickin hate womens racing. It's like watching a cat 4 race. I mean, it's horrible. I scream at the TV. I cover my eyes. I cry.

Women like Nicole Cooke, a big name champion who cannot read a race to save her life. She would have won twice as many races if she had a quarter of the tactical nous of say, Gilbert or Vino.

Attack from the front. Attack for 10 seconds and then look around. Go with an attack but don't pull through and look at the girl in front with a face that is half surprise and half annoyance. Sit on the front of the bunch and pull your own teammate back. Sit 3rd wheel and don't seem to understand that 1st wheel is blocking. Blocking! In pro cycling!? Teammates unaware of where other teammates are in a race or in gc. Etc.

This is womens racing.

I never understood how you could race your bike 80 times a year as a professional and have no idea about how to ride a bike. It's worse than watching a triathlon. Logically it makes no sense. The director sportif are often ex-pro men who know what they are doing as should the women. But for whatever reason, it just doesn't work.

Sorry.
hulkgogan

17 Sep 2012 05:14

simo1733 wrote:Womens football is coming on in leaps and bounds to the point where it is actually watchable at the highest level.Hence 80,000 crowd at Wembley for GB v Brazil..

There would have been 80.000 to an arm wrestling event as long as GB was participating during the Olympics...
DominicDecoco

17 Sep 2012 07:31

Voted no. I have no problem with it, and wish it the best, but it shouldn't be subsidized by taking money from mens teams ie forcing pro tour teams to field a womens team, as a lot of twitter losers suggest. If it can't grow its sport organically and sustainably without being a boat anchor on mens cycling then it just isn't viable.
diorgen

PreviousNext

Return to Professional road racing