Register

Do You Care About Woman Cycling?

A place to discuss all things related to current professional road races. Here, you can also touch on the latest news relating to professional road racing. A doping discussion free forum.

Do You Care About Woman Cycling?

Poll ended at 21 Sep 2012 18:38

No.
43%
Yes.
44%
I only care about Marianne Vos, truly amazing.
13%

Total votes : 162

17 Sep 2012 07:57

Long story cut short: no. But the options is a little one-sided here. I care, but i dont watch it.
People who don't understand cycling must think Contador is a pretty violent person, when all they hear is Contador ATTACKS, ATTACKS ,ATTACKS

http://chrisfroomelookingatstems.tumblr.com/
User avatar No_Balls

17 Sep 2012 08:22

To care I would need to be emotionally invested in the riders. Just through lack of coverage it is hard to have that attachment. I have seen a fair bit (interviews/highlights) about Emma Pooley and Marianne Vos but that is about it. If there was more on TV, given what I have already seen, I am sure I could make the leap.

As for it being not as fast as the men. Well, the men in the 80s were not as quick as those in the 90s but I found it far more exciting so I don't think that is an issue for me.
I was awarded 'Most Aggressive Rider of the Day', generally given to the most spectacular loser of the day.

― David Millar, Racing Through the Dark
User avatar Don't be late Pedro

17 Sep 2012 08:26

I don't watch overly much female sport. I do watch female track cycling occasionally and a couple of other events but that is all.
diggercuz wrote:second post ever after reading the forum for the last few years and one thing i must say, ACF94 is probably the most intelligent poster here, never biased to BMC or Cadel, and never gets worked up over anything.
User avatar auscyclefan94

17 Sep 2012 08:27

I care about women's cycling, and I always try to watch the WC and what not, because I like cycling. But I don't really follow it beyond checking the results every now and then. I don't have the energy to get more involved than that (and following a sport properly does require a lot of energy).
User avatar hrotha

17 Sep 2012 08:52

Yes and No, I wouldn't go out of my way to watch women's cycling but if it was on more and I had nothing much else to do I would certainly tune in and watch. In fact if it was on more I would probably get a bit more interested.
Slava101

17 Sep 2012 10:21

woodenswan wrote:so u rather miss omloop than watch a stream?
somewhat surprised by that
how come?

The stream would be in dutch freeze every few minutes and have crap picture quality.and im not usually home so.would have to watch a replay stream. Easier to just check.the results.
The Hitch: Winner 2013 Vuelta cq game. Winner, Velorooms prediction game 2012, 2013. 2nd all time cq rankings.
The Father of Clean Cycling, Christophe Bassons wrote:When I look at cycling today, I get the impression that history is repeating itself: riders who are supposed to be rouleurs are climbing passes at the front of the race, and those who are supposed to be climbers are riding time trials at more than 50 kilometres per hour.

The story is beginning again, just as it did 14 years ago

journalist with integrity.
User avatar The Hitch

17 Sep 2012 11:19

Libertine Seguros wrote:She's about the same size as José Rujano, so that could be really interesting information if true.

Don't be late Pedro wrote:I don't suppose there is a table for that anywhere? Be interesting to see a top 10 or something like that.

I have been informed that i misheard and Harmonn said she had the best power to weight of all British cyclists .

My apologies for confusing it.

Which is still very impressive, but Rujano can keep his world title.
The Hitch: Winner 2013 Vuelta cq game. Winner, Velorooms prediction game 2012, 2013. 2nd all time cq rankings.
The Father of Clean Cycling, Christophe Bassons wrote:When I look at cycling today, I get the impression that history is repeating itself: riders who are supposed to be rouleurs are climbing passes at the front of the race, and those who are supposed to be climbers are riding time trials at more than 50 kilometres per hour.

User avatar The Hitch

17 Sep 2012 12:41

For me the answer has to be no, but it is a bit of a circular argument.

The sport lacks popularity because it's not in the media enough and it's not in the media enough because it lacks popularity. Repeat ad nauseam.

One possible solution is for larger sponsors to come in off of the good will built up over the Olympics and that might give it some momentum. But with a fractured race calendar and very unstable team organisations, it's hard to see it progressing to the next level.
Bill Lumbergh

17 Sep 2012 13:25

Descender wrote:Let's see, how do I say this in a politically correct way...

I care about women and I care about cycling.

I also care about pineapples and I care about pizza. Now you don't want to know what I think of the Hawaii.

Let's see how do i say this in a politically correct way...

No;)
Let us remember what happened on March 16th, 2014

The Hitch wrote:Red Rick. Road Race forum MVP 2014.

The Hitch wrote:#RedRick4RCSRaceDirector.
Red Rick

17 Sep 2012 15:17

Red Rick wrote:Let's see how do i say this in a politically correct way...

No;)

No what? You mean you don't like cycling? You don't like women? ;)

I'm being facetious of course. I have to admit I've never seen a women's race, but I have no reason to think it shouldn't be as exciting or as boring as men's races.

About the argument about their not being the best of the best, well I'd say inasmuch as it is correct, it is irrelevant, and inasmuch as it is relevant, it is incorrect.
User avatar Descender

17 Sep 2012 15:33

LauraLyn wrote:At long as women are excluded by men from participating in their sports, you will never know if it is being played to the highest standard.

Are you thereby saying that they would be able to compete with men?
Alpehue

17 Sep 2012 15:38

Alpehue wrote:Are you thereby saying that they would be able to compete with men?

You'll never know, she's banned ;)
kingjr

17 Sep 2012 15:39

kingjr wrote:You'll never know, she's banned ;)

Ohh... haha

And to answer the question, never seen it, but i think thats primarily because i never had the chance.
Alpehue

17 Sep 2012 16:02

Descender wrote:No what? You mean you don't like cycling? You don't like women? ;)

I'm being facetious of course. I have to admit I've never seen a women's race, but I have no reason to think it shouldn't be as exciting or as boring as men's races.

About the argument about their not being the best of the best, well I'd say inasmuch as it is correct, it is irrelevant, and inasmuch as it is relevant, it is incorrect.

I don't like to watch women's cycling. I basically watch only the worlds and olympic RR. Women's road racing has the same problem as many of other sports. The competition is very small. I think it's very weird a 53 year old can compete (massive clinical boosts included) for the win. For example i don't like the fact that women get the same prize money as the men in grands slam tennis, while men's matches are about 2-5 times longer. I like to watch the best athletes, and with the women it's kinda weird when there's so little competition and knowing about all men pro's would beat that.

Why don't women play 5 set matches in tennis? Why is the women's road race not even 200 km? Because the gaps get bigger and bigger and it is shown that sometimes, women's sports are kind of a farce
Let us remember what happened on March 16th, 2014

The Hitch wrote:Red Rick. Road Race forum MVP 2014.

The Hitch wrote:#RedRick4RCSRaceDirector.
Red Rick

17 Sep 2012 16:15

Red Rick wrote:I don't like to watch women's cycling. I basically watch only the worlds and olympic RR. Women's road racing has the same problem as many of other sports. The competition is very small. I think it's very weird a 53 year old can compete (massive clinical boosts included) for the win. For example i don't like the fact that women get the same prize money as the men in grands slam tennis, while men's matches are about 2-5 times longer. I like to watch the best athletes, and with the women it's kinda weird when there's so little competition and knowing about all men pro's would beat that.

Why don't women play 5 set matches in tennis? Why is the women's road race not even 200 km? Because the gaps get bigger and bigger and it is shown that sometimes, women's sports are kind of a farce

Female tennis is a lot more competitive than female cycling. Men still earn a lot more money than female tennis players, so your argument is sort of invalid even if the price money is equal these days. Prize money is not the main source of income for tennis players.
Ryo Hazuki wrote:horrible. boonen just the same guy as years before and this course is too hard for him. that's why he rode like a coward there were at least 3 guys stronger than boonen today and none of them won: sagan, ballan, pozzato

The Hitch wrote:Goss will woop boonens candy a[color="Black"]ss[/color] in a sprint he cares about, any day of the week
User avatar El Pistolero

17 Sep 2012 16:46

hrotha wrote:I care about women's cycling, and I always try to watch the WC and what not, because I like cycling. But I don't really follow it beyond checking the results every now and then. I don't have the energy to get more involved than that (and following a sport properly does require a lot of energy).

pretty much this. i check results and try to watch the worlds but other then that i don't have time to may more attention then i do as life is more then cycling.
User avatar Parrulo

17 Sep 2012 17:33

simo1733 wrote:Womens football is coming on in leaps and bounds to the point where it is actually watchable at the highest level.Hence 80,000 crowd at Wembley for GB v Brazil..

Sadly the first womens league game featuring Arsenal (the best ladies team) only attracted about 600 people to watch them play at Borehamwood.

But! They are getting there!
User avatar Izzy eviel

17 Sep 2012 18:24

I don't know enough about it and it's not on the box enough to really allow me to get to know more. That said, I really enjoyed the women's road race in the Olympics, watched every second of it. I voted 'no', but that's more because I feel I watch enough men's racing as it is.
argyllflyer

17 Sep 2012 19:01

El Pistolero wrote:Female tennis is a lot more competitive than female cycling. Men still earn a lot more money than female tennis players, so your argument is sort of invalid even if the price money is equal these days. Prize money is not the main source of income for tennis players.

I think back to serena Williams crushing sharapova in the olympic final. Went to take a **** got back and it was 5-0 already.

So much more competitive:rolleyes:

User avatar The Hitch

17 Sep 2012 19:21

The Hitch wrote:I have been informed that i misheard and Harmonn said she had the best power to weight of all British cyclists .

My apologies for confusing it.

Which is still very impressive, but Rujano can keep his world title.

It's impressive if it's true, it's also IMO rather unlikely that it is true.
Cerberus

PreviousNext

Return to Professional road racing