Register

2013 Road World Championships: Men's Road Race, Lucca-Firenze 272.2 km

A place to discuss all things related to current professional road races. Here, you can also touch on the latest news relating to professional road racing. A doping discussion free forum.

28 Sep 2013 17:31

The favourites as I see them:

***** Sagan
**** Cancellara, Gilbert
*** Nibali, Valverde, J-Rod
** D. Martin, Moreno, Pozzato, Uran
* Stybar, Voeckler, Gesink, Van Avermaet, Costa
kanari

28 Sep 2013 17:50

Maaaaaaaarten wrote:Dauphine stage he won, he was great on the descent of Col de Joux Plane, that's where he earned his reputation. He also won Pais Vasco because of superior bike handling skills in the TT.

Don't know about his reputation, but his descent of Pailheres in this year's TdF was subpar.
User avatar Descender

28 Sep 2013 17:51

kanari wrote:The favourites as I see them:

***** Cancellara
**** Sagan
*** Nibali, Valverde, J-Rod
** D. Martin, Moreno, Pozzato, Uran, , Gilbert
* Stybar, Voeckler, Gesink, Van Avermaet, Costa, Froome

Just few personal changes, still it's very general. anyone could win :D
Gloin22

28 Sep 2013 18:03

So, tomorrow we are looking for someone who can win on the Cauberg, can descend and TT for 5 kilometres. Gasparotto for the win ;)

Nah, Philipke will win this one. Boring.
The Hitch wrote:All the trolls always did a tailwindhome off the forum when faced with that counterpoint. By which I mean a mysterious tailwind would blow them home and they would reappear only when the question blew over.
User avatar Fearless Greg Lemond

28 Sep 2013 18:29

Descender wrote:Don't know about his reputation, but his descent of Pailheres in this year's TdF was subpar.

that wasn't technical at all. you had to pedal on it like crazy.not for him

nairo is a very good descender especially because we see him compared with the other gc guys.
unfortunately no kick for this course, no chance for him

i will cheer for voeckler,valverde and others. nibali would be cool too just because he rode badasz everywhere.i would like that
Vino 4ever
User avatar jens_attacks

28 Sep 2013 18:36

Galic Ho wrote:It is definitely becoming a tradition. If you're going to flog something, I say go for something good...Cannondale, Colnago, maybe a Specialized bike. Pozzato's Merida looks pretty sweet too with it's current paint job.

It's a tad bit OT but I gotta say as a brand Canyon has become one of the greatest if not the greatest available to us poor amateurs. They have some of the best frames available on the market, and that's according to the tests made by the TOUR magazine, which prove to be very harsh and at times surprising in their results.
And their prices are a total STEAL ;)

Going by the looks maybe they're not the most gorgeous ever (should I go by the looks alone I'd always choose a Look or a Time frame), but really, gimme an Aeroad CF without paint and just matte carbon cause that's the sexiest **** you can have on the road :cool:
" wrote:"It's magnificent to end it like this," he said. "All the big champions like (Laurent) Jalabert and (Richard) Virenque went out on top and I wanted to do the same."?
User avatar Pippo_San

28 Sep 2013 19:59

i think the 16% is too steep for sagan, anybody else think he will struggle to keep up with rod and valv?
User avatar b.broadhurst

28 Sep 2013 20:05

b.broadhurst wrote:i think the 16% is too steep for sagan, anybody else think he will struggle to keep up with rod and valv?

If it rains, no. Remember this?

User avatar Pentacycle

28 Sep 2013 20:30

b.broadhurst wrote:i think the 16% is too steep for sagan, anybody else think he will struggle to keep up with rod and valv?

Wouldn't count Sagan out on the steep section. Remember this?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dr8zFdN6Xew
Bakhjulet

28 Sep 2013 20:41

SafeBet wrote:This is the time when you feel ashamed being italian. Morons.

Dude, if the peloton ever rocked up here in South West London, every house in the neighbourhood would have a £30 000 bike by the next morning.
The Hitch: Winner 2013 Vuelta cq game. Winner, Velorooms prediction game 2012, 2013. 2nd all time cq rankings.
The Father of Clean Cycling, Christophe Bassons wrote:When I look at cycling today, I get the impression that history is repeating itself: riders who are supposed to be rouleurs are climbing passes at the front of the race, and those who are supposed to be climbers are riding time trials at more than 50 kilometres per hour.

The story is beginning again, just as it did 14 years ago

journalist with integrity.
User avatar The Hitch

28 Sep 2013 20:42

LaFlorecita wrote:Kolobnev tweeted that he can't start tomorrow?

Anyone know if bet365 will refund me the money i put on him?
The Hitch: Winner 2013 Vuelta cq game. Winner, Velorooms prediction game 2012, 2013. 2nd all time cq rankings.
The Father of Clean Cycling, Christophe Bassons wrote:When I look at cycling today, I get the impression that history is repeating itself: riders who are supposed to be rouleurs are climbing passes at the front of the race, and those who are supposed to be climbers are riding time trials at more than 50 kilometres per hour.

User avatar The Hitch

28 Sep 2013 20:44

Bakhjulet wrote:Wouldn't count Sagan out on the steep section. Remember this?

Wonder what the conversation in the team bus was like that afternoon.
User avatar red_flanders

28 Sep 2013 20:44

The Hitch wrote:Anyone know if bet365 will refund me the money i put on him?

He will start it seems
"The second place is not good."
The great Alberto Contador :p
User avatar LaFlorecita

28 Sep 2013 20:56

Uran is being too easily forgotten. This race is so much more suited to him than the Olympic Road race he nevertheless found a way to podium.

Of course one can say about 20 other riders they are being forgotten, and everone will have their dark horse, Scarponi, Costa, D Martin, Kwiatkowski. For me its Uran.

Lanark wrote:Yeah, Nibali even lost 9 minutes to him. That was quite the descend.

:D

Can't believe it took as much as half an hour after that post for someone to post this link.

Roderick wrote:Based on a closer look of the course and the previous races:

***** Cance
* the others

I know your joking, but seriously, this will actually be quite hard for Cancellara.

There are examples of where he won such races but there are also plenty where he has lost them and usually he isn't up against Valverde, Murito, Nibali etc.

If there were cobbles here, of course, but he's a bit out of his zone here in the climbers course to start with.

People say all he needs is a gap and then hell beat them and that the 10% climb offers that. Well dropping Murito for example on 10% is hardly going to be a walk in the park for Cancellara.

With no team either he could be royally screwed at the end vs Spain with say 4 riders maybe.

Gilbert is being too easily forgotten too. He will be there at the end no question.

Contador, if last year is any guide he will be Spains attack guy with 3 laps to go. A lot less flat though this time. Depending who is out front and how the other riders react, that could be the moment the race explodes.

User avatar The Hitch

28 Sep 2013 20:56

why do I always forget that?

Still don't think he's got the form and will be very tired.

My money's on danny moreno anyway at 30/1
User avatar b.broadhurst

28 Sep 2013 21:12

b.broadhurst wrote:My money's on danny moreno anyway at 30/1

Moreno's not on my list of candidates for top ten. IMO he hasn't got the engine for a 250+ km race and his form has been fading in the second half of the Vuelta.

He should stick to leading out Purito.
User avatar Pentacycle

28 Sep 2013 21:13

b.broadhurst wrote:why do I always forget that?

Still don't think he's got the form and will be very tired.

My money's on danny moreno anyway at 30/1

You can get Moreno at 50-1 now which is tempting.

But I'm not gonna do it. :p
The Chicken

28 Sep 2013 21:19

I just can't predict this at all, except...

...it is going to be a humdinger of a race!!! :cool::D:cool:
Winterfold

28 Sep 2013 21:20

I got a feeling that Sagan is gonna win this. It's his time. Nibali will podium.
User avatar TheEnoculator

28 Sep 2013 21:26

Anybody think Porte will help Froome?
User avatar b.broadhurst

PreviousNext

Return to Professional road racing