Log in:  

Register

Philippe Gilbert Discussion Thread

A place to discuss all things related to current professional road races. Here, you can also touch on the latest news relating to professional road racing. A doping discussion free forum.

Philippe Gilbert Discussion Thread

24 Sep 2012 01:18

I think it's about time we got a Philippe Gilbert discussion thread, to discuss all things Phil. I found a couple other Gilbert threads but they were just about how he dominated 2011.

Image
Philippe Gilbert: Winner of the Ardennes triple, 2 time winner of AGR, winner of San Sebastian, 2 time winner of Paris-Tours, 2 time winner of Giro di Lombardia. 9 total Classic wins and 16 podiums in the classics. And now...

A world champion
Image
User avatar Afrank
Senior Member
 
Posts: 9,050
Joined: 16 Aug 2011 21:58
Location: Oregon

24 Sep 2012 01:27

Congratulations to PhilGil for his world title. He deserves to wear that rainbow jersey. What a great attack on the Cauberg!
[SIZE="1"]La fatica in montagna per me è poesia - Marco Pantani
Van een ezel kun je geen koerspaard maken (You can't turn a donkey into a race horse) - Patrick Lefevere[/SIZE]
User avatar Pantani_lives
Junior Member
 
Posts: 543
Joined: 03 May 2010 13:27

24 Sep 2012 01:38

The Hitch: Winner 2013 Vuelta cq game. Winner, Velorooms prediction game 2012, 2013. 2nd all time cq rankings.
The Father of Clean Cycling, Christophe Bassons wrote:When I look at cycling today, I get the impression that history is repeating itself: riders who are supposed to be rouleurs are climbing passes at the front of the race, and those who are supposed to be climbers are riding time trials at more than 50 kilometres per hour.

The story is beginning again, just as it did 14 years ago


journalist with integrity.
User avatar The Hitch
Senior Member
 
Posts: 26,286
Joined: 14 Jun 2010 10:58
Location: London.

24 Sep 2012 01:49

The Hitch wrote:Plenty already exist.

eg
http://forum.cyclingnews.com/showthread.php?t=16248


But that thread like others is mostly about his domination of 2011, I thought we needed a more general discussion thread. If the mods feel different feel free to delete or combine with one of the existing threads.
User avatar Afrank
Senior Member
 
Posts: 9,050
Joined: 16 Aug 2011 21:58
Location: Oregon

24 Sep 2012 03:13

In before the merge!

PHIL PHIL PHIL!!!
craig walsh always with us
User avatar mewmewmew13
Senior Member
 
Posts: 5,246
Joined: 09 Aug 2010 22:20
Location: co

24 Sep 2012 03:24

What a wonderful victory for Gilbert!!!!!:)
User avatar Andre.J
Junior Member
 
Posts: 406
Joined: 16 Jun 2009 00:21
Location: Belgium

24 Sep 2012 06:40

Amazing win. One of the greatest rider of his generation.
I hope he won't f*ck up again in winter.
User avatar SafeBet
Senior Member
 
Posts: 4,755
Joined: 02 Sep 2011 13:38
Location: Milano, Italy

24 Sep 2012 06:49

Looking at that picture of him with the medal probably makes me more happy than if anyone else had won. Of course he had to wear the rainbow jersey at some point in his career. He truly deserves it.

Great win for a great rider. Chapeau Philippe!
Ryo Hazuki wrote:contador is such a coward :o
User avatar Hugo Koblet
Senior Member
 
Posts: 4,870
Joined: 09 May 2010 08:08

24 Sep 2012 08:49

I wonder if he'll go all-out rainbow. :D
Ryo Hazuki wrote:horrible. boonen just the same guy as years before and this course is too hard for him. that's why he rode like a coward there were at least 3 guys stronger than boonen today and none of them won: sagan, ballan, pozzato


The Hitch wrote:Goss will woop boonens candy a[color="Black"]ss[/color] in a sprint he cares about, any day of the week
User avatar El Pistolero
Senior Member
 
Posts: 14,298
Joined: 16 Jul 2010 21:53

24 Sep 2012 08:50

I dont like Gilbert in the slightest. No denying that he was the strongest yesterday though, was a class above.
User avatar Richeypen
Junior Member
 
Posts: 1,472
Joined: 03 May 2011 12:21

24 Sep 2012 10:37

El Pistolero wrote:I wonder if he'll go all-out rainbow. :D


Ala Cippo?

I am chuffed to bits to see Big Phil win it, I love him as a rider, its a shame he has had a mixed season really, massivly dissapointing when you place it next to last season, but it proves IMO the guy is human.

I hope he has a good one next season.

A rainbow win in Lombardia?
User avatar MartinGT
Junior Member
 
Posts: 1,567
Joined: 04 Jul 2010 20:48
Location: Leeds, UK

24 Sep 2012 10:48

Yes, great win. At least we should have a very visible Rainbow jersey now, only for people to complain that he doesn't feature in bunch sprints. :rolleyes:

I don't think this thread should be merged either, because as afrank put it the others were a lot different.
"It is going to be very scary." - Tom Boonen*
User avatar Panda Claws
Senior Member
 
Posts: 2,066
Joined: 29 Aug 2011 21:00

24 Sep 2012 10:55

Panda Claws wrote:Yes, great win. At least we should have a very visible Rainbow jersey now, only for people to complain that he doesn't feature in bunch sprints. :rolleyes:

I don't think this thread should be merged either, because as afrank put it the others were a lot different.


it was a great win and he truly is an awesome rider.

I believe that the rainbow jersey will be very visible next year, at least providing great show.
pedromartins
Junior Member
 
Posts: 100
Joined: 24 Sep 2012 00:26

24 Sep 2012 11:11

In 2010, he was on pair with Cadel Evans. Each on turn attacked.
In 2011, he excelled on the last hill, but couldn't keep it to the finish line.
In 2012, justice was done.
User avatar Scatto
Junior Member
 
Posts: 70
Joined: 09 Oct 2010 18:31

24 Sep 2012 11:30

Love watching Phil ride, that acceleration boom and he's gone. The best riders in the peloton left trailining in his wake.

Such panache.

Gonna stop gushing now!!
User avatar SimonC
Junior Member
 
Posts: 61
Joined: 20 May 2009 10:33
Location: Chellaston, Derby

24 Sep 2012 11:35

Afrank wrote:But that thread like others is mostly about his domination of 2011, I thought we needed a more general discussion thread. If the mods feel different feel free to delete or combine with one of the existing threads.


All "discussion threads" were actually something else.before.1 day having the title changed to just" discussion thread"
The Hitch: Winner 2013 Vuelta cq game. Winner, Velorooms prediction game 2012, 2013. 2nd all time cq rankings.
The Father of Clean Cycling, Christophe Bassons wrote:When I look at cycling today, I get the impression that history is repeating itself: riders who are supposed to be rouleurs are climbing passes at the front of the race, and those who are supposed to be climbers are riding time trials at more than 50 kilometres per hour.

The story is beginning again, just as it did 14 years ago


journalist with integrity.
User avatar The Hitch
Senior Member
 
Posts: 26,286
Joined: 14 Jun 2010 10:58
Location: London.

24 Sep 2012 11:48

Fixed your dates!

Scatto wrote:In 2009, he was on pair with Cadel Evans. Each on turn attacked.
In 2010, he excelled on the last hill, but couldn't keep it to the finish line.
In 2012, justice was done.
icefire
Senior Member
 
Posts: 2,808
Joined: 21 Sep 2009 19:24

24 Sep 2012 12:56

The Hitch wrote:All "discussion threads" were actually something else.before.1 day having the title changed to just" discussion thread"


Yes the were appreciation and depreciation threads before being turned to discussion. Personally I prefer the discussion threads.
User avatar Afrank
Senior Member
 
Posts: 9,050
Joined: 16 Aug 2011 21:58
Location: Oregon

24 Sep 2012 13:10

Afrank wrote:Yes the were appreciation and depreciation threads before being turned to discussion. Personally I prefer the discussion threads.


Of course. Anything else would be silly.
DominicDecoco
Senior Member
 
Posts: 2,644
Joined: 17 Feb 2012 16:24

24 Sep 2012 15:39

Scatto wrote:In 2010, he was on pair with Cadel Evans. Each on turn attacked.
In 2011, he excelled on the last hill, but couldn't keep it to the finish line.
In 2012, justice was done.


:D Perfect race by Gilbert... although now he might be too expensive to put on my fantasy team.
Moser fanboy.

Libertine Seguros wrote:Colombia is a world of totally alien wonder, a bit like putting the Amish in the control room at NASA.
User avatar gustienordic
Junior Member
 
Posts: 1,171
Joined: 15 Feb 2011 02:57
Location: Wisconsin

Next

Return to Professional road racing

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Electress, Jagartrott, jflemaire, Moviefan1203, rokopt, Ryaguas and 42 guests

Back to top