Register

Philippe Gilbert Discussion Thread

A place to discuss all things related to current professional road races. Here, you can also touch on the latest news relating to professional road racing. A doping discussion free forum.

30 Jan 2014 01:48

buzdovan wrote:Of all Monuments only P-R looks like something he can't. That's what he was saying too. But it's more difficult now, you're right.
And a rider like him definitely should have these races on his palmares.

True, a MSR and RVV would definitely complete his palmares. But the Gilbert we've seen for the last few years is not the Gilbert of 2011. If he is indeed getting back to his 2011 levels like he claims then he definitely can win them, but if not, I'm not so sure he can compete for the win against the likes of Sagan, Cance, and others.
User avatar Afrank

30 Jan 2014 04:44

Afrank wrote:True, a MSR and RVV would definitely complete his palmares. But the Gilbert we've seen for the last few years is not the Gilbert of 2011. If he is indeed getting back to his 2011 levels like he claims then he definitely can win them, but if not, I'm not so sure he can compete for the win against the likes of Sagan, Cance, and others.

Think his dominating days are over but would still like to see him pick up a good race this season. One classic would be good. Last year the hilly classics were pretty evenly shared. I think the same could happen again this season unless Sagan can find an extra gear.
movingtarget

30 Jan 2014 11:44

I just hope he manages to end up with an Ardennes Domination, akin to Moreno Argentin.

He was born in that region so it would be something special.
"It is going to be very scary." - Tom Boonen*
User avatar Panda Claws

30 Jan 2014 13:13

Is he expected to try to win Het Volk to tie the record this year? Or is it a given that guys like GVA and Vanmarke are just too good for him to realistically win this? Or will cold weather ruin the event rendering everything moot?
User avatar myrideissteelerthanyours

30 Jan 2014 13:31

myrideissteelerthanyours wrote:Is he expected to try to win Het Volk to tie the record this year? Or is it a given that guys like GVA and Vanmarke are just too good for him to realistically win this? Or will cold weather ruin the event rendering everything moot?

He will skip the Omloop.
User avatar Pentacycle

30 Jan 2014 13:47

movingtarget wrote:Think his dominating days are over but would still like to see him pick up a good race this season. One classic would be good. Last year the hilly classics were pretty evenly shared. I think the same could happen again this season unless Sagan can find an extra gear.

Same here, I'm hoping he can win at least one of the Ardennes. Can't see him winning all 3 plus a handful of other races like in 2011.
User avatar Afrank

30 Jan 2014 13:51

movingtarget wrote:Think his dominating days are over but would still like to see him pick up a good race this season. One classic would be good. Last year the hilly classics were pretty evenly shared. I think the same could happen again this season unless Sagan can find an extra gear.

AFAIK Sagan won't race Amstel, F-W nor Liege.
Cancellara is like The Black Album. Really good but way overrated.
User avatar Netserk

30 Jan 2014 23:12

Netserk wrote:AFAIK Sagan won't race Amstel, F-W nor Liege.

Didn't know that. Riding Flanders. Could be interesting and I suppose MSR.
movingtarget

30 Jan 2014 23:23

movingtarget wrote:Didn't know that. Riding Flanders. Could be interesting and I suppose MSR.

also P-R i believe.
User avatar gerundium

01 Feb 2014 21:40

I don't know why he's so pessimistic: 2011 wasn't that long ago, he should know what sort of training he did back then, instead of saying this kind of things in the press.
"I was excited to pass Rui Costa in front of me. I never thought that would be possible in my life."
Tour de France almost-winner, Andy Schleck acknowledges Rui Costa's awesomeness.

"58x11. I do not often use it, but when you need it, it is always there."
Why the hell would you need that Tony?
User avatar trevim

20 Apr 2014 14:52

It's about time we started to see signs of the old Gilbert returning. Finally getting some big wins now. His win was like a carbon copy of how he won worlds.

Looking pretty good for FW and LBL at the moment as well.
User avatar Afrank

20 Apr 2014 15:36

Afrank wrote:It's about time we started to see signs of the old Gilbert returning. Finally getting some big wins now. His win was like a carbon copy of how he won worlds.

Looking pretty good for FW and LBL at the moment as well.

He beat his own fastest time up the Cauberg today. Prepare for more domination.

I hope not though. Nothing against Gilbert, but it's not that entertaining.
Did BMC contract Ibarguen this year or what? :D
User avatar Kwibus

20 Apr 2014 15:44

Kwibus wrote:He beat his own fastest time up the Cauberg today. Prepare for more domination.

I hope not though. Nothing against Gilbert, but it's not that entertaining.
Did BMC contract Ibarguen this year or what? :D

Peiper. Eversince they fired lelangue and hired peiper after the tour the wins have been flowing in, that guy is a genius
Proud champion of the first ever 2012 Giro d'Italia CQ game[SIZE="5"][/SIZE]
User avatar dlwssonic

21 Apr 2014 02:04

dlwssonic wrote:Peiper. Eversince they fired lelangue and hired peiper after the tour the wins have been flowing in, that guy is a genius

He seems to be able to get results out of riders, that's for sure. He said BMC would be changing things in the classics and they look much better this year.
movingtarget

21 Apr 2014 07:51

I still wonder what the influence of Dirk De Wolf (his former mentor for 15 years!) was until 2011. Once at BMC, De Wolf was not his mentor anymore (probably team wishes), but Gilbert and De Wolf are still good friends.

If you have seen the worlds in '90 in Utsunomiya, and the way how De Wolf rode that day, must be some very very special pills or juice!
Volderke

21 Apr 2014 11:58

dlwssonic wrote:Peiper. Eversince they fired lelangue and hired peiper after the tour the wins have been flowing in, that guy is a genius

I'm always a bit sceptic toward 'geniuses' in cycling. This doesn't mean that they are doing something wrong, but it's just that gut feeling that the past of cycling gave me.
User avatar Kwibus

27 Apr 2014 15:26

Looks like I was right from what I saw at Brabantse Pijl. Gilbert can win AGR -> cauberg is perfect for him.

But FW and LBL are clearly too much for him. Mur de Huy is too steep. LBL too demanding.
BYOP88 wrote:Great to see that Porte has rediscovered his 2010/11 climbing form. Hope he can keep it for the rest of the Tour and year.
User avatar Dekker_Tifosi

27 Apr 2014 15:28

I can't understand how he managed to win Lombardia twice, when he's getting dropped like a stone towards Ans in his biggest target of the year
Let us remember what happened on March 16th, 2014

The Hitch wrote:Red Rick. Road Race forum MVP 2014.

The Hitch wrote:#RedRick4RCSRaceDirector.
Red Rick

27 Apr 2014 15:30

Red Rick wrote:I can't understand how he managed to win Lombardia twice, when he's getting dropped like a stone towards Ans in his biggest target of the year

Late season, lot of good climbers tired an unmotivated. Or at least not as motivated as Gilbert.
BYOP88 wrote:Great to see that Porte has rediscovered his 2010/11 climbing form. Hope he can keep it for the rest of the Tour and year.
User avatar Dekker_Tifosi

27 Apr 2014 17:22

Dekker_Tifosi wrote:Looks like I was right from what I saw at Brabantse Pijl. Gilbert can win AGR -> cauberg is perfect for him.

But FW and LBL are clearly too much for him. Mur de Huy is too steep. LBL too demanding.

Good call.

Makes me wonder if these races are being raced harder than in 2009-2011
"It is going to be very scary." - Tom Boonen*
User avatar Panda Claws

Previous

Return to Professional road racing