Register

Philippe Gilbert Discussion Thread

A place to discuss all things related to current professional road races. Here, you can also touch on the latest news relating to professional road racing. A doping discussion free forum.

25 Sep 2012 14:35

LaFlorecita wrote:If you want to discuss why I love Alberto we can do that in the Alberto discussion thread, I have about a billion reasons. Why I don't like Phil, hmm he is a bit too arrogant for my liking, I overreacted a bit on Sunday :o :), I think he definitely deserves the jersey but that doesn't mean I like him.

Why do you like Valverde then? He's a scumbag.

http://www.cyclingnews.com/news/gilbert-row-casts-new-doubt-over-pereiro
Ryo Hazuki wrote:horrible. boonen just the same guy as years before and this course is too hard for him. that's why he rode like a coward there were at least 3 guys stronger than boonen today and none of them won: sagan, ballan, pozzato

The Hitch wrote:Goss will woop boonens candy a[color="Black"]ss[/color] in a sprint he cares about, any day of the week
User avatar El Pistolero

25 Sep 2012 14:36

El Pistolero wrote:Why do you like Valverde then? He's a scumbag.

Seriously? He seems like a nice guy :) :o :D
"The second place is not good."
The great Alberto Contador :p
User avatar LaFlorecita

25 Sep 2012 14:46

LaFlorecita wrote:If you want to discuss why I love Alberto we can do that in the Alberto discussion thread, I have about a billion reasons. Why I don't like Phil, hmm he is a bit too arrogant for my liking, I overreacted a bit on Sunday :o :), I think he definitely deserves the jersey but that doesn't mean I like him.

I like a bit of arrogance on a rider, saying that you will win tomorrow and then destroying the competition is just awesome. Vandebroucke did it, Ricco did it and Gilbert does it, they are more than just cyclists. They are rockstars!:D

Arrogance aside, Gilbert is a very enjoying rider to watch, always on the offensive and making the race hard. On top of that he's got a real winner mentality going for every race he rides. Contador on the other hand has given stages in Grand Tours to other riders on quite a few occasions, something I don't take lightly. A real champion doesn't give away stage wins in the Giro or the Tour.

Gilbert is just so more brutal than Contador IMHO, Contador lack's the grinta and charisma which riders like Gilbert, Cancellara and Boonen possess.
User avatar Camulos

25 Sep 2012 15:07

Camulos wrote:I like a bit of arrogance on a rider, saying that you will win tomorrow and then destroying the competition is just awesome. Vandebroucke did it, Ricco did it and Gilbert does it, they are more than just cyclists. They are rockstars!:D

Arrogance aside, Gilbert is a very enjoying rider to watch, always on the offensive and making the race hard. On top of that he's got a real winner mentality going for every race he rides. Contador on the other hand has given stages in Grand Tours to other riders on quite a few occasions, something I don't take lightly. A real champion doesn't give away stage wins in the Giro or the Tour.

Gilbert is just so more brutal than Contador IMHO, Contador lack's the grinta and charisma which riders like Gilbert, Cancellara and Boonen possess.

http://forum.cyclingnews.com/showthread.php?p=1034590#post1034590
User avatar LaFlorecita

25 Sep 2012 15:12

Camulos wrote:I like a bit of arrogance on a rider, saying that you will win tomorrow and then destroying the competition is just awesome. Vandebroucke did it, Ricco did it and Gilbert does it, they are more than just cyclists. They are rockstars!:D

+1, That's one of the things that make Gilbert such a great rider. If your going to be a great rider and be remembered in cycling's history books sometimes you have to be brutal in your riding and a little arrogant, for example by telling someone where your going to attack and then crushing everyone when you do. :D

After all guys like Eddy Merckx's or Vino aren't remembered for being nice guy in the peloton, they're remembered for wanting to win every race they entered and their brutal attacks. ;)
User avatar Afrank

25 Sep 2012 15:45

Camulos wrote:Contador on the other hand has given stages in Grand Tours to other riders on quite a few occasions, something I don't take lightly. A real champion doesn't give away stage wins in the Giro or the Tour.

I think thats one reason AC does appeal to the fans and other riders, he's going after GC's and only that, but he's such a Gent he can hand over stage wins to his co-racers (not GC competitors) as it may really boost their careers and good for the sport too. Something which seemed to rile Roche when Brad Wiggins caught him for Cavs tour win on 18/19.

AC knows that in the long run, he'll be paid back, just as he was in his breakaway on the key vuelta flat stage. being popular in the peloton can make a big difference to results.

Phil doesn't need to worry about all that if he's going after one day races. I respect them both, equally.
johnnycash

25 Sep 2012 16:21

http://www.sonuma.be/archive/philippe-gilbert-espoir-du-cyclisme-belge

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=96rOlkKarQk

If someone's interested in young Phil. In the second link he's the rider with number 22 on his dossard.
Ryo Hazuki wrote:horrible. boonen just the same guy as years before and this course is too hard for him. that's why he rode like a coward there were at least 3 guys stronger than boonen today and none of them won: sagan, ballan, pozzato

The Hitch wrote:Goss will woop boonens candy a[color="Black"]ss[/color] in a sprint he cares about, any day of the week
User avatar El Pistolero

25 Sep 2012 17:34

He isn't riding Piemonte, but fully concentrating for Lombardia. He feels confident he can win there.
"It is going to be very scary." - Tom Boonen*
User avatar Panda Claws

25 Sep 2012 18:28

I just don't think it's common among the Spanish riders for the most part to be publicly arrogant and cocky. They tend to be pretty reserved about their prospects in upcoming races, downplaying their chances. As far as Contador, your post is rather puzzling. Here is a rider that competes for the most part in almost every race he enters, riding aggressively and making the race hard for his opponents. These are attributes that you rave about when it applies to Gilbert but in turn fail to give Contador any credit for. Additionally I'd have to guess that you don't see Indurain as a "real champion", which would be absolutely ridiculous. Plus you rave about Ricco but how many major races has he actually won aside from the odd grand tour stage?

I can appreciate the "charisma" a rider shows when he's racing. If he's reserved and low key off the bike that's doesn't bother me one bit. Different strokes I guess.
"It's a little bit scarey when Contador attacks." Tommie Voeckler
User avatar Angliru

25 Sep 2012 23:19

I hope the curse of the rainbow jersey does not affect him next year. He looks on good track to dominate though from Lombardia onwards. The WC course next year should also suit him.
I'd agree with you but then we'd both be wrong

The Grand Boucle wasn't just Europe's for the taking.

Quote:VAE
"Has Porte ever dropped Nibali in any mountain?"
D&C "He will soon..."
greenedge

26 Sep 2012 01:18

Gilbert doesn't strike me as an arrogant person.Pointing to the number 1 on his back wheel on his way to Lombardia win in 2010 was pure class and a bit of fun.He is known for training with his amateur cyclist friends around Monaco before they have to let him go,hardly the actions of a Billy Big-time plus some Belgian journalists have said they have fallen out with him but he makes up with them after his initial anger with an article has subsided.He also spends time with the fans.

Pro cycling magazine Sep 2011

La Derniere Heure reporter Phillipe Van Holle:

"We've had our fallings out,a few years ago i wrote something about him moving to Monaco and tax, and four months later he saw me and said i could go and get stuffed.I said the same things back.To his credit,though,a few weeks later we were back to normal"

There are other positive character references in the same article.
User avatar Telmisartan new

28 Sep 2012 19:16

User avatar Afrank

28 Sep 2012 20:17

grande phil! fits him well

personally i still want him to win san remo and flanders next year in the rainbow jersey. sadly, he will go like a nutter for LBL. and lose. because of JTL.
Vino 4ever
User avatar jens_attacks

28 Sep 2012 20:24

jens_attacks wrote:personally i still want him to win san remo and flanders next year in the rainbow jersey. sadly, he will go like a nutter for LBL. and lose. because of JTL.

The same JTL who was supposed to crush everybody at the worlds? Dream on.
jflemaire

28 Sep 2012 20:26

jflemaire wrote:The same JTL who was supposed to crush everybody at the worlds? Dream on.

I'm pretty sure Jens is not serious.:)
"It's a little bit scarey when Contador attacks." Tommie Voeckler
User avatar Angliru

28 Sep 2012 20:31

Angliru wrote:I'm pretty sure Jens is not serious.:)

Sorry, then. Sometimes it's hard to tell...
jflemaire

28 Sep 2012 20:31

jflemaire wrote:The same JTL who was supposed to crush everybody at the worlds? Dream on.

No. JTL + marginal gains = LBL.
User avatar Duartista

28 Sep 2012 20:35

The worlds course was not tough enough for JTL, Gilbert won't see which was he has gone at LBL.
User avatar Bernie's eyesore

28 Sep 2012 20:59

Great kit and bike.
"It is going to be very scary." - Tom Boonen*
User avatar Panda Claws

28 Sep 2012 21:01

Panda Claws wrote:Image

Great kit and bike.

Isn't it just the standard WC kit?
User avatar LaFlorecita