Register

Best rider of this year (2012)?

A place to discuss all things related to current professional road races. Here, you can also touch on the latest news relating to professional road racing. A doping discussion free forum.

Best rider of the year?

Poll ended at 07 Jan 2013 15:22

B.Wiggins
35%
J.Rodriguez
39%
T.Boonen
16%
Vino
5%
other
5%

Total votes : 266

29 Sep 2012 16:24

Libertine Seguros wrote:If people will persist on omitting her from the poll, people will persist in giving her write-in votes, because she's worthy.

I also considered nominating Alessandro Zanardi. Not as the absolute #1 rider of the year, but I'd probably put him in the top 10 or 20.

The thing with elite women is the incredibly HUGE gap with elite men in terms of almost EVERYTHING, starting with the budget and ending with the actual performances length and whatever.

If anything, the comparison should be more with the ESPOIRS, which says a lot...

Talking about REAL pro riders, I'm going with Purito. Impressive all year long.
" wrote:"It's magnificent to end it like this," he said. "All the big champions like (Laurent) Jalabert and (Richard) Virenque went out on top and I wanted to do the same."?
User avatar Pippo_San

29 Sep 2012 16:28

NO Pippo_San I absolutely DO NOT AGREE although I do DIG your USE of CAPITAL LETTERS to make a POINT

I would consider voting BOONEN because winning TWO MONUMENTS is NO MEAN FEAT but RODRIGUEZ and WIGGINS both had AMAZING years as well with WIGGINS OPEN BRACKETS topping the CQ EFFICIENCY ALL TIME RANKING thanks to winning ALMOST EVERY RACE HE ENTERED including the TOUR DE FRANCE or as our favourite forum user ECHOES would say the BORE THE FRANCE CLOSE BRACKETS and PURITO winning A MONUMENT and podiuming TWO GRAND TOURS so it's really HARD TO CALL in my opinion
User avatar Sylvester

29 Sep 2012 16:29

Libertine Seguros wrote:If people will persist on omitting her from the poll, people will persist in giving her write-in votes, because she's worthy.

I also considered nominating Alessandro Zanardi. Not as the absolute #1 rider of the year, but I'd probably put him in the top 10 or 20.

people ommit her from the bloody polls because they are not meticulous, fussy, ignorant donks. fact.
woodenswan

29 Sep 2012 16:32

El Pistolero wrote:It's the professional road racing forum.

fair enough. still best rider of the year in bursting that guys bubble though.
User avatar sublimit

29 Sep 2012 16:33

El Pistolero wrote:It's the professional road racing forum.

Isnt Kenny starting Paris Tours ;)
The Hitch: Winner 2013 Vuelta cq game. Winner, Velorooms prediction game 2012, 2013. 2nd all time cq rankings.
The Father of Clean Cycling, Christophe Bassons wrote:When I look at cycling today, I get the impression that history is repeating itself: riders who are supposed to be rouleurs are climbing passes at the front of the race, and those who are supposed to be climbers are riding time trials at more than 50 kilometres per hour.

The story is beginning again, just as it did 14 years ago

journalist with integrity.
User avatar The Hitch

29 Sep 2012 16:35

I don't know how to say this... a lot of people simply don't care a lot about women's cycling.
"The second place is not good."
The great Alberto Contador :p
User avatar LaFlorecita

29 Sep 2012 16:43

Womens BMX is were its at, forget road pro cycling.
User avatar sublimit

29 Sep 2012 16:44

woodenswan wrote:people ommit her from the bloody polls because they are not meticulous, fussy, ignorant donks. fact.

It's ok not to care. But don't attack those that do.

People omit her from the polls, either out of ignorance, of forgetfulness, or out of not considering her achievements to be worthy of mention given the difference in calibre of competition.

Ignorance can be corrected; forgetfulness is something that happens to all of us. The latter is a matter of opinion. My opinion clearly differs to yours on the matter. I don't see how saying "a woman is, in my opinion, the best cyclist of the year" makes me any more ignorant than you for saying "wah wah somebody voted for somebody I don't care about".

If that were all it takes I'd be sideswiping the Cavendish discussion thread with Godwin's Law every five minutes.
User avatar Libertine Seguros

29 Sep 2012 16:47

LaFlorecita wrote:I don't know how to say this... a lot of people simply don't care a lot about women's cycling.

Correct.

However:

- Considering her achievements less worthy because of lesser competition is a matter of opinion and a fair argument.
- Considering her achievements less worthy because of not caring is a matter of ignorance and stupidity. I don't care about golf. Does that mean that, when putting together polls for best sportsman of the year, golfers shouldn't be considered?

There are many legitimate reasons for saying that Wiggins, or Rodríguez, or Boonen, or hell, even Contador, should be considered rider of the year ahead of Marianne Vos. But the argument I responded to, i.e. "I want people to stop mentioning Vos", is NOT one of them.

29 Sep 2012 16:49

Thank you Libertine. You are cool too.
Testing the bounds of reality.
User avatar Zam_Olyas

29 Sep 2012 16:52

Zam_Olyas wrote:Thank you Libertine. You are cool too.

But you are the coolest :cool:
"The second place is not good."
The great Alberto Contador :p
User avatar LaFlorecita

29 Sep 2012 16:53

It was aimed at men cycling, forget to add that but i thought it was obvious, don't get the fuss.

I'm sure all of you know where this was aimed at. Oh well.

If you don't like it then make an own thread, way easier than complaining.
User avatar Miburo

29 Sep 2012 16:56

Miburo wrote:It was aimed at men cycling, forget to add that but i thought it was obvious, don't get the fuss.

I'm sure all of you know where this was aimed at. Oh well.

If you don't like it then make an own thread, way easier than complaining.

I don't see where anybody complained that Vos wasn't included in the nominees?

29 Sep 2012 17:06

Libertine Seguros wrote:It's ok not to care. But don't attack those that do.

People omit her from the polls, either out of ignorance, of forgetfulness, or out of not considering her achievements to be worthy of mention given the difference in calibre of competition.

Ignorance can be corrected; forgetfulness is something that happens to all of us. The latter is a matter of opinion. My opinion clearly differs to yours on the matter. I don't see how saying "a woman is, in my opinion, the best cyclist of the year" makes me any more ignorant than you for saying "wah wah somebody voted for somebody I don't care about".

If that were all it takes I'd be sideswiping the Cavendish discussion thread with Godwin's Law every five minutes.

it's not about either of those. it's about intelligence i'd say.
people omit her because they realize that 99% of the posts here are related to male athletes so it seems redundant to actually mention this every time. true, this is not completely unambiguous, most people are still capable of understanding this concept. and most likely, you understand it as well, still you make sure to pop in every single time there's a similar discussion, make a fuss, and bait people into these pointless debates.
comparing her achievemants to male cyclists could be interesting, but repeatedly posting about her when it's clear to every able-minded member that the discussion is about something else is nothing but trolling
woodenswan

29 Sep 2012 17:10

woodenswan wrote:it's not about either of those. it's about intelligence i'd say.
people omit her because they realize that 99% of the posts here are related to male athletes so it seems redundant to actually mention this every time. true, this is not completely unambiguous, most people are still capable of understanding this concept. and most likely, you understand it as well, still you make sure to pop in every single time there's a similar discussion, make a fuss, and bait people into these pointless debates.
comparing her achievemants to male cyclists could be interesting, but repeatedly posting about her when it's clear to every able-minded member that the discussion is about something else is nothing but trolling

So you're calling me mentally handicapped for mentioning a female cyclist, and I'M the one who's trolling and baiting?!

29 Sep 2012 17:15

Best racer polls always get massively skewed depending on who showed the latest amazing performance.

Palmares for objective comparison

Boonen:
1st Paris Roubaix
1st Ronde van Vlaanderen
1st Gent Wevelgem
1st E3 Harelbeke
1st Paris Brussels
1st Tour of Qatar (plus stages)
1st Belgium Champ
1st Team TT World Champ
1st World Ports Classics (plus stages)
and stages in Paris-Nice, San Luis

Wiggins:
1st Paris-Nice
1st Romandie
1st Dauphine
1st Tour de France
(plus stage wins in all of them)

Rodriguez:
1st Fleche Wallonne
1st Lombardia
2nd Giro (plus stages and points jersey)
3rd Vuelta (plus stages)
and stages in BasqueCountrytour(2nd) and Tirreno

They all achieved great results but I would put both Boonen&Wiggins ahead of Rodriguez.
deValtos

29 Sep 2012 17:15

Always Vino :cool:
Alberto Contador fanboy
Vamos Colombia!
Ryo Hazuki in August 2013 wrote:what? quintana is already better climber than froome. see final stages of the tour and he's only 23. quintana is the best climber I've sene since pantani. he will become a legend
User avatar ILovecycling

29 Sep 2012 17:18

deValtos wrote:Best racer polls always get massively skewed depending on who showed the latest amazing performance.

Palmares for objective comparison

Boonen:
1st Paris Roubaix
1st Ronde van Vlaanderen
1st Gent Wevelgem
1st E3 Harelbeke
1st Paris Brussels
1st Tour of Qatar (plus stages)
1st Belgium Champ
1st Team TT World Champ
1st World Ports Classics (plus stages)
and stages in Paris-Nice, San Luis

Wiggins:
1st Paris-Nice
1st Romandie
1st Dauphine
1st Tour de France
(plus stage wins in all of them)

Rodriguez:
1st Fleche Wallonne
1st Lombardia
2nd Giro (plus stages and points jersey)
3rd Vuelta (plus stages)
and stages in BasqueCountrytour(2nd) and Tirreno

They all achieved great results but I would put both Boonen&Wiggins ahead of Rodriguez.

The other thing then comes down to how much we value all-round skills. After all, Boonen has been a dominant force in one-day races, Wiggins has been a dominant force in stage races. Rodríguez hasn't been a dominant force in either (although he has been pretty dominant in races, usually stages of stage races, with steep walls or puncheur finishes) but he has picked up some top results in both.

29 Sep 2012 17:39

Libertine Seguros wrote:I don't see where anybody complained that Vos wasn't included in the nominees?

Zam_Olyas wrote:Other, Vos.

Libertine Seguros wrote:3x World Cup events
The toughest stage race on the calendar, with 5x stage wins
1x Olympic Gold medal
2x World championship jerseys
5x other one day race wins
3x other stage race wins (with a combined 5x stage wins)

Not directly of course but you can read between the lines.

Or were you clueless it was about men? Don't give me that ****.
User avatar Miburo

29 Sep 2012 17:42

Miburo wrote:Not directly of course but you can read between the lines.

Or were you clueless it was about men? Don't give me that ****.

That's not complaining, that's making a pick. You left the "other" option for us to use, but when picking "other" it's customary to actually say who that "other" is.

The complaints were from people who were upset that we mentioned Marianne.

I was, actually, clueless it was about men to the exclusion of all else. I expected it would be primarily about men, since 99% of discussion is of men's elite pro cycling on this forum, but that's ok. Hitch and others will tell you I've been reminding people of the need to take Vos into account on polls like this as long as I've been here.

PreviousNext

Return to Professional road racing