Register

Best rider of this year (2012)?

A place to discuss all things related to current professional road races. Here, you can also touch on the latest news relating to professional road racing. A doping discussion free forum.

Best rider of the year?

Poll ended at 07 Jan 2013 15:22

B.Wiggins
35%
J.Rodriguez
39%
T.Boonen
16%
Vino
5%
other
5%

Total votes : 266

29 Sep 2012 17:45

Libertine Seguros wrote:That's not complaining, that's making a pick. You left the "other" option for us to use, but when picking "other" it's customary to actually say who that "other" is.

The complaints were from people who were upset that we mentioned Marianne.

Nah you were obviously trolling, you really thought I meant women cycling aswell? If i did then it would have been no question that it was Vos.

Of course i should have said women cycling but don't tell me you didn't know that.

So really? :rolleyes:
User avatar Miburo

29 Sep 2012 17:50

Miburo wrote:Nah you were obviously trolling, you really thought I meant women cycling aswell? If i did then it would have been no question that it was Vos.

Of course i should have said women cycling but don't tell me you didn't know that.

So really? :rolleyes:

If I was trolling, I'd have been telling you what an idiot you were for not including her.

Instead, I included her by the more diplomatic reason of listing her achievements as justification for my choice, and you've labelled me a troll who has wilfully misconstrued your intentions, and elsewhere I've been labelled a baiter, ignorant and had it implied that I'm a retard.

The only thing that I possibly am when nominating Vos as a candidate for rider of the year on a thread like this is pedantic. To that charge I'll plead guilty. But you'll note that Zam and Hitch, two highly respected and prolific posters here, both mentioned Vos before I did.

Woodenswan is sick of hearing about Vos on threads like this for the same reason Waterloo Sunrise was sick of hearing about Cipollini's win in Gent-Wevelgem in the threads about Cavendish being a one-trick pony. Because it keeps being forgotten about, so people keep reminding them of it.
User avatar Libertine Seguros

29 Sep 2012 17:54

deValtos wrote:Best racer polls always get massively skewed depending on who showed the latest amazing performance.

exactly
i also thought this will be between Wiggins and Boonen. those trebles are huge: RVV, GW, PR; and PN, Dauphiné, le Tour

i love Purito, but those gt performances are misses, not wins

Miburo wrote:Nah you were obviously trolling

he was, and he does this every single time when there's a similar discussion

edit: he even mentioned Valentino Rossi once i think.. and now Zanardi
woodenswan

29 Sep 2012 17:57

Voted Boonen for winning PR, Ronde, E3 Prijs and GW. Purito 2nd.
User avatar the asian

29 Sep 2012 17:58

woodenswan wrote:exactly
i also thought this will be between Wiggins and Boonen. those trebles are huge: RVV, GW, PR;
i

Boonen won E3 prijs as well.
User avatar the asian

29 Sep 2012 18:06

Libertine Seguros wrote:If I was trolling, I'd have been telling you what an idiot you were for not including her.

You did it alright but not directly.

So you think i'm an idiot cause i forget to include "men"

Damn, talk about butthurt.

Anyway this is not what this thread is about. So i'm gonna drop it.

Keep calling people idiot on the internet, good luck with that ;)
User avatar Miburo

29 Sep 2012 18:09

the asian wrote:Boonen won E3 prijs as well.

i know, i just wanted to go with trebles there :D

only the 2nd rider to win those 4 races in one season! (i think)
woodenswan

29 Sep 2012 18:24

Miburo wrote:You did it alright but not directly.

So you think i'm an idiot cause i forget to include "men"

Damn, talk about butthurt.

Anyway this is not what this thread is about. So i'm gonna drop it.

Keep calling people idiot on the internet, good luck with that ;)

"if" is a conditional. "If I was trolling". Which I wasn't.

Hence I wasn't calling you an idiot.

I thought this thread was about "riders of the year". Forgive me if I was wrong.

29 Sep 2012 18:27

woodenswan wrote:edit: he even mentioned Valentino Rossi once i think.. and now Zanardi

It was Lorenzo I mentioned that time, and that time was playing wind-up. That time, the definition requested was "cyclist", and it was a thread that was already in the dustbin by the time I came to mention women, track cyclists, Paralympians and motorcyclists.

Normally when I mention Vos, it's not a wind-up.

29 Sep 2012 20:28

Why don't you made this poll before Lombardia, and one again after it?

I voted for Wiggins, because winning PN, Romandie, CdD and Tour is something which is unique. He won the Tour because of the ITTs? No, he was the second strongest in that peloton, and the strongest was his own domestique. A win is a win especially if it is a stage race, because it shows, that he was always consistent.
Podium in 2 GTs? That's not like winning them. Purito always waited for the last km, and that was the reason he was never able to win. He attacked only on Bola del Mundo, when there was late.
Alberto 'The Legend' Contador: winner of the Vuelta 2012! I will never forget!

Hesjedal!
User avatar vcampbell

29 Sep 2012 20:56

Honestly I had expected the poll to be something like:
Wiggo 50%
Boonen 30%
Rodriguez 15%
others/vino 5%

Of course I voted Boonen, but I can perfectly understand those who voted for either Wiggo or Vos.
User avatar Netserk

29 Sep 2012 21:00

the Italians think some guy named Wiggings was on top yesterday... anybody else catch that?
long live Zesdaagse!
User avatar CobbleStoner

29 Sep 2012 21:11

1. J-Rod
2. Boonen
3. Wiggins
4. Sagan
5. Valverde
6. Froome
7. Luis Leon Sanchez
8. Greipel
9. Degenkolb
10. Uran
11-15. Henao, Gerrans, Cav, Contador (Beautiful riding), Costa
15-20. Moser, Hesjedal, Kristoff, Moreno, Voeckler.
Moser fanboy.

Libertine Seguros wrote:Colombia is a world of totally alien wonder, a bit like putting the Amish in the control room at NASA.
User avatar gustienordic

29 Sep 2012 21:25

gustienordic wrote:1. J-Rod
2. Boonen
3. Wiggins
4. Sagan
5. Valverde
6. Froome
7. Luis Leon Sanchez
8. Greipel
9. Degenkolb
10. Uran

LuLu? :confused:
User avatar Netserk

29 Sep 2012 21:34

Pippo_San wrote:The thing with elite women is the incredibly HUGE gap with elite men in terms of almost EVERYTHING, starting with the budget and ending with the actual performances length and whatever.

If anything, the comparison should be more with the ESPOIRS, which says a lot...

No, it's juniors actually. That's the category they usually put women in if they have to race in the same race as men.

About the poll: I don't really like Rodriguez, but he is the obvious choice for me.
Praetor

29 Sep 2012 21:35

The top three are the top three. I think it's hard to argue against tha.

When you get to judging the very best, it has to come down to wins rather than podiums. So, alas, Rodriguez has to finish third.

The other two are hard to separate. Classics are less controllable than stage races, but Wiggins won every thing he tried to. It's toss of the coin time.

I'll go for Wiggins as there is nothing more he could have done. Boonen, on the other hand, ascended into the pantheon of the cycling gods - the greatest cobbles rider of all time.

(Wiggins will win the Velo d'Or as that's a French award and he won French races)
Parker

29 Sep 2012 21:43

If Wiggins is elected best rider of the year, I wonder what kind of clip they will be showing. You know, his defining moments, which apparently weren't just some time trials.

- Wiggo freewheeling in the background while others are sprinting for a win
- Wiggo behind a bunch of Sky riders
- Wiggo staying behind Froome while others are attacking
- Wiggo yelling at Froome, begging him to wait

It will be really, really tough to make an equally spectacular clip of Boonen and Rodriguez.
Praetor

29 Sep 2012 21:50

gustienordic wrote:1. J-Rod
2. Boonen
3. Wiggins
4. Sagan
5. Valverde
6. Froome
7. Luis Leon Sanchez
8. Greipel
9. Degenkolb
10. Uran

Lol, why so low?
User avatar Richeypen

29 Sep 2012 21:51

For me, Wiggo is the best male rider this season. If Boonen had won the WC, i'd have picked him, but he's had a quiet second part of the season. J-Rod 3rd obvious, but I think Nibali deserves a mention. Always seems there or thereabouts.

Best female rider not called Vos - Stevens.
User avatar Izzy eviel

29 Sep 2012 21:58

Izzy eviel wrote:For me, Wiggo is the best male rider this season. If Boonen had won the WC, i'd have picked him, but he's had a quiet second part of the season. J-Rod 3rd obvious, but I think Nibali deserves a mention. Always seems there or thereabouts.

Best female rider not called Vos - Stevens.

He won the Belgian nats, Paris-Brussel, World Port Classic and a hard stage and the WC TTT.

I agree Wiggins is the best this season, but Boonen did ok in the second half of the season considering he didn't ride a GT.
Ryo Hazuki wrote:horrible. boonen just the same guy as years before and this course is too hard for him. that's why he rode like a coward there were at least 3 guys stronger than boonen today and none of them won: sagan, ballan, pozzato

The Hitch wrote:Goss will woop boonens candy a[color="Black"]ss[/color] in a sprint he cares about, any day of the week
User avatar El Pistolero

PreviousNext

Return to Professional road racing